Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Help: what to do when u cant get fuel filter out

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TWSTD
Regular

October 2002

Help: what to do when u cant get fuel filter out Tue, 25 March 2003 03:15 Go to next message
Ive had my car in 2 workshops now and neither could remove the bottom nut on the fuel filter. I need to change the filter but noone can get the old one out. As a result of their efforts the nut is now rounded Crying or Very Sad

Any suggestions on what course of action to take? Im assuming i will have to cut the thing out - but then there will be the issue of attaching the new filter...

Suggestions appreciated.
  Send a private message to this user    
DannyGT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member

May 2002

Re: Help: what to do when u cant get fuel filter out Tue, 25 March 2003 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmmm if they rounded the nut themselves then i would've thought that they'd fix the problem they caused - i would have insisted

sounds like they couldn't be bothered

what sort of car??

TWSTD
Regular

October 2002

Re: Help: what to do when u cant get fuel filter out Tue, 25 March 2003 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah - well i think the first workshop were the main culprits for the rounding - trouble is that was sort of an aquaintence who was doing a favour for me and doesnt have the means to fix it... The 2nd workshop basically dont want to do - they told me they "dont have time this week and maybe contact them next week"

The car is a 1997 toyota carib. (a corolla wagon but 4wd).
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Help: what to do when u cant get fuel filter out Tue, 25 March 2003 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If possible, weld another big nut onto the existing nut and undo it that way. I'm not sure if it's safe to do this if it's close to the fuel lines, but it's worth considering.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Help: what to do when u cant get fuel filter out Tue, 25 March 2003 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
with all the electrics in the car will it be safe to weld something connected to the chassis/body?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Help: what to do when u cant get fuel filter out Tue, 25 March 2003 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes it's safe, provided you disconnect the battery before you start welding.
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Help: what to do when u cant get fuel filter out Tue, 25 March 2003 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TWSTD wrote on Tue, 25 March 2003 14:15

As a result of their efforts the nut is now rounded Crying or Very Sad

You need the Danoz Direct SUPER WRENCH!!!!!!!!

It will undo anything, even stripped bolts!!

I know, I watch too much late night telly, sorry... No No No

[Updated on: Tue, 25 March 2003 13:01]

clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Help: what to do when u cant get fuel filter out Tue, 25 March 2003 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Try a stud remover. It will probably need a fairly large one I guess but same type of removal. Any sort of spanner with a camming action to grip it should work.

Replace the lower pipe as well as the filter.

Bypass to a different filter.
1jdave
Occasional Poster

March 2003
Re: Help: what to do when u cant get fuel filter out Fri, 28 March 2003 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 1st thing is to order the new nut so u dont have 2 use the old 1 im not familiar with this model but im sure someone with skill would be able to remove it.
shinzui
Regular

November 2002

Re: Help: what to do when u cant get fuel filter out Sat, 29 March 2003 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If all else fails, you can do what I did with my stripped pulley bolt. Get a grinder and grind it down so its not rounded anymore Smile

You then just use a smaller socket/spanner.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Help: what to do when u cant get fuel filter out Sat, 29 March 2003 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, but u gotta remember this is on a fuel line...

i dunno if you'll be able to get em in there, but, MULTIGRIPS seem to work well on them there rounded bastards...
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Help: what to do when u cant get fuel filter out Sat, 29 March 2003 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are they attacking the nut from the engine bay or from under the car? Have a friend with a similar setup - he had to take the car to a mechanic friend, put it in the hoist, and swing a damn big breaker bar off the nut to crack it.
I have a "speed wrench" good for stripped nuts, again a cammed setup suitable for any size nut, that has teeth that bite into the worn sides. If you can find one, it will become an invaluable tool in your kit!
rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Help: what to do when u cant get fuel filter out Sun, 30 March 2003 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Couldn't you just hack saw the the filter off and replace it with a inline fuel filter and attact the filter to the metal fuel lines with rubber lines and clamps??
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: Help: what to do when u cant get fuel filter out Sun, 30 March 2003 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i banged a smaller ring spanner over the bolt to undo a rounded bolt.
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Help: what to do when u cant get fuel filter out Sun, 30 March 2003 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I "banged" a good looking blonde once, ..., come to think of it, I've hit on a few too Shocked
GTI16V
Regular

May 2002
Re: Help: what to do when u cant get fuel filter out Sun, 30 March 2003 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Buy the replacement filter and cut the fuel line further down the car , flair the pipe buy some efi rubber hose and use a hose clamp to attatch it (commodores are like this) buy a screw in adapter for the replacement filter and screw it in put hose and hose clamp and attatch.Or you could buy a new fuel line from toyota .Filter change done.

[Updated on: Sun, 30 March 2003 10:54]

TWSTD
Regular

October 2002

Re: Help: what to do when u cant get fuel filter out Sun, 30 March 2003 20:38 Go to previous message
Cheers all for the suggestions. As the nut was so hard to get to (only really accessible from the wheel arch) and vice grips didnt help i ended up cutting the fuel line a couple cm before the filter, buying a banjo nut with a hose barb fitting and joining it a;; up with flexi fuel line and hose clamps - seems sweet as.

What pisses me off is that the two garages / workshops i took the car to could come to this solution. Just reconfirms my lack of trust in so called "professionals" - think i'll stick to doing as much work on my own car as humanly possible (along with the help of the Toymods crowd from across the ditch Wink

AL
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:20v Wiring loom
Next Topic:3S-GTE INTO 1988 SX Celica
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Sep 29 19:27:15 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058999061584473 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.