Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
DacBietAE86
Regular

March 2003
Air Cond Question Tue, 25 March 2003 09:50 Go to next message
Hey dudes...
I have two sprinters, One of them the aircond is heaps Cold even on idle, the other is not very cold.

I have a few questions

I want to change the compressor over but wont all the aircond gas leak, Will that mean i will need to regas it again?

Is there anything dangerous about changing the compressor over, im scared the gas might explode or something?

Lastly, What should i change over from the really cold air cond sprinter to the other one to make it cold?

Thanks in advance

Send a private message to this user    
sleeka
Regular

September 2002
Re: Air Cond Question Tue, 25 March 2003 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont know much about those cars,
But from my expierence the gas wont explode and yes you will have to get it resagsed there is no way around it when that compressor comes off. Also depends how old the air con setup is. If its the old style then you will also have to get new fittings installed and get the compressor re-oiled and gased. The gas in the old style air con is not available anymore. I had my 76 celica air setup quoted and if the compressor is out and the air con guy will do all the new fittings and re-gas and oil it for under 300.00. Smile

anyone feel free to correct me on this Smile
sleeka
Regular

September 2002
Re: Air Cond Question Tue, 25 March 2003 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont know much about those cars,
But from my expierence the gas wont explode and yes you will have to get it resagsed there is no way around it when that compressor comes off. Also depends how old the air con setup is. If its the old style then you will also have to get new fittings installed and get the compressor re-oiled and gased. The gas in the old style air con is not available anymore. I had my 76 celica air setup quoted and if the compressor is out and the air con guy will do all the new fittings and re-gas and oil it for under 300.00. Smile

anyone feel free to correct me on this Smile
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Air Cond Question Tue, 25 March 2003 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no, the gas will not explode in your face, but it may blast out in you direction when the pressure will try to escape when you undo one of the connections on the pressurised side of the system. If its on the old gas (r12) it will cost you a large amount of dollars to convert over to the new gas (134a). they have to change the reciever dryer and the tx valve along with the different fittings for the 134a refridgerant.
justin
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Air Cond Question Tue, 25 March 2003 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no, the gas will not explode in your face, but it may blast out in you direction when the pressure will try to escape when you undo one of the connections on the pressurised side of the system. If its on the old gas (r12) it will cost you a large amount of dollars to convert over to the new gas (134a). they have to change the reciever dryer and the tx valve along with the different fittings for the 134a refridgerant.
justin
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Air Cond Question Tue, 25 March 2003 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justin
pepsicola
Forums Junkie

August 2002

Re: Air Cond Question Tue, 25 March 2003 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think it's because the setting of the air con that makes the difference.
you can adjust it, but pull off the glove box, you will see a small block in black attached to the big airbox. that's the air con amplifier, there is a screw there on the top, try turn it to the right(clockwise), see if that helps.
but turnning it to the left, the air con will not turn on when it's at idle.

cheers,
Jin.
1jdave
Occasional Poster

March 2003
Re: Air Cond Question Wed, 26 March 2003 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
make sure that the thermo fans are working or change them over ac needs cooling at idle and actually oheats quicker than an eng without it. it does sound like the other sprinter is low on gas it may have leaks repl all orings receiver drain compressor oil ect. leave other sprinter alone as releasing r12 is illegal and you can get cold burns if you do retro the other sprinter it should be as cold as the other ,
DacBietAE86
Regular

March 2003
Re: Air Cond Question Thu, 27 March 2003 09:38 Go to previous message
Thanks for all your help guys.I'll give it a whirl
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Design thought
Next Topic:AE101 RADIATOR
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-