Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1JZ-GTE into a MX-73 Cressida

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
MX73-1JZ
Occasional Poster

March 2003
icon10.gif  1JZ-GTE into a MX-73 Cressida Fri, 28 March 2003 00:56 Go to next message
Hello there,

I noticed a few people here have put a 1JZ-GTE into their Cressida's.

Well my sisters MX-73 Cressida containing a 5M-GE died and there was only one solution a 1JZ-GTE!

We purchased a JZX-90 Chaser 1/2 cut and have stripped her down and tranferred the contents over.

I have done heaps of work the engine, gearbox, GTR intercooler, etc have all been mounted leaving a few small things to go.

I was wondering what people did with the dash? The orig Cressida dash has a cable to show speed etc while the new gearbox does not have a location for this and operates off an electronic signal. We can put the one in from the 1/2 cut but this is not a neat fit. Any ideas?

Any idea's?

I have purchased some R-32 4 Potters to put on as well. Has anyone put larger roters on their MX-73? If so i was wondering what model/brand etc you used. The R-32 calipers line up with the bolt holes but does not line up with the rotors. I am taking it to a brake place soon to take a look.

I do not think she knows what she is in for as she thought the standard 5M-GE was fast!

Cheers,
MX73-1JZ
  Send a private message to this user    
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1JZ-GTE into a MX-73 Cressida Fri, 28 March 2003 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MX73-1JZ wrote on Fri, 28 March 2003 11:56

I have purchased some R-32 4 Potters to put on as well. Has anyone put larger roters on their MX-73? If so i was wondering what model/brand etc you used. The R-32 calipers line up with the bolt holes but does not line up with the rotors. I am taking it to a brake place soon to take a look.

Shouldn't be too hard - the main problem will be finding an off the shelf rotor to suit. I suggest you get some Vernier calipers and start measuring.
You'll need the diameter of the rotor (measure from the centre of the hub spindle to the outer edge of the pads in your R32 calipers and double), radial depth of your pads, and the total height of your required rotor (measure from the top of your MX73 rotor hat to the pad surface of the inboard pad).
Then you have the joy of cross referencing against the DBA database http://www.dba.com.au/catalogue/DBA%20Catalogue.ht m. It is possible to get undrilled blanks from DBA so don't worry too much about the number of stud holes. The radial depth of the disc isn't given on their catalogue, but once you have compiled a short list of suitable rotors give them a call - they have been very helpful to me in the past.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ-GTE into a MX-73 Cressida Fri, 28 March 2003 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the cable speedo has and electronic output
change the speedo drive to the cable one and make sure the electronic speedo output from the speedo goes to the ecu and to the auto ecu if its auto and to the cruise control
thunderbird1
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ-GTE into a MX-73 Cressida Sun, 30 March 2003 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm in the process of putting bigger rotors on my mx73. Just keep the back standard though. ALso for a quick , easy LSD mod, put an MA61 Supra LSD in it... bolts straight in the mx73.

Luke
MX73-1JZ
Occasional Poster

March 2003
Re: 1JZ-GTE into a MX-73 Cressida Mon, 31 March 2003 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your help everyone.

I may be a little confused here.

MX - 73 has a cable dash.
JZX - 90 ( donor ) has everything electronic and there is nowhere to plug up the cable from the dash to.

Sideshow, you are saying that there is an electronic output from the cable dash but what about the input?

I have nowhere to feed the signal into the MX-73 dash that i know of. Is there an electronic input for this?

If not we will put JZX-90 dash in this wont look as neat and will require more wiring.

Cheers,
MX73-1JZ
thunderbird1
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ-GTE into a MX-73 Cressida Mon, 31 March 2003 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why don't u just hook your speedo cable up to your gearbox... just like it was... thats what we did with mine. Unscrewed the speedsensor from memory and it plugs in there. I'm not totally sure what that did but because there is 2 speed sensors it is all good.

Correct me if i'm wrong.. but anyhow.. all we did was plug it in like before.

Luke
MX73-1JZ
Occasional Poster

March 2003
Re: 1JZ-GTE into a MX-73 Cressida Mon, 31 March 2003 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your help again,

When we did the conversion we had the gearbox and engine placed in the car.

I can not find anywhere on the gearbox to place the cable so my guess it is all electronic from the gearbox. There may be somewhere to place it. I do not know the model of the gearbox but it was out of a JZX-90 Chaser. ( auto Gearbox )

We can put the dash from the chaser in there but it is going to look tacky.

Cheers,
MX73-1JZ
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ-GTE into a MX-73 Cressida Mon, 31 March 2003 07:00 Go to previous message
near back of gbox theres a speedo sensor which is electronic
has 3 wires goin to it

near it is an abs sensor
try not to get them mixed up

if in doubt i can find out which ones correct

but i think the speedo one has a red/black wire a purple/white wire and a brown wire
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Starting troubles
Next Topic:Where to get clutch fitted
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Sep 30 13:35:24 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051090717315674 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.