Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Any indications of starter motor dying? I think mine is!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Any indications of starter motor dying? I think mine is! Sun, 30 March 2003 09:34 Go to next message
How do you know when your starter motor is on the way out?

Does it just die or are there signs leading up to its demise?

The supra has sounded not too healthy when trying to crank to life these past couple of days and just wondering if that could be the issue.

Do i need to source a 5M one (i have a 6mge with w58)or can i get one from a 5m, 5mge, 7mge etc as long as it was off a w58?

thanx guys
  Send a private message to this user    
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Any indications of starter motor dying? I think mine is! Sun, 30 March 2003 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from what I've heard, they're dead or they work.
I thought the starter on my celica was going, as it was a REAL bitch to get going in the mornings.

an oil change and new battery later, and it started in less than a second every time
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Any indications of starter motor dying? I think mine is! Sun, 30 March 2003 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good point, my battery is fairly ratshit
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Any indications of starter motor dying? I think mine is! Sun, 30 March 2003 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had my starter motor replaced a few weeks ago. The way I could tell that it was the starter motor was that it made a 'ticking' sound everytime i tried to start the car. I turned the key a few times and eventually it would crank over. It wouldn't be the battery or engine being cold because this would happen anytime during the day.

You could get a reconditioned one for cheap, and if you want to make your next starter motor last longer, put a booster in (relay) this stregthens the start and is noticable when you crank it.
Good Luck!
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Any indications of starter motor dying? I think mine is! Sun, 30 March 2003 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes mine ticks alot of late Sad

Like 4 or 5 attempts of turning the key until it starts and sometimes it sounds like it almost stalls hard to describe.

Guess im looking for a new starter.
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Any indications of starter motor dying? I think mine is! Mon, 31 March 2003 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes indeed,

Sitting in the middle of Macca's Drve-thru on a Saturday night with the ignition off, and trying to start the bastard aint something enjoyable! TRUST ME!
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Any indications of starter motor dying? I think mine is! Mon, 31 March 2003 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
See if you can borrow a good battery from another car. If that solves the problem you know it's the battery; otherwise it's time to pull the starter out and have it replaced.
1ndecent
Regular

January 2003
Re: Any indications of starter motor dying? I think mine is! Mon, 31 March 2003 15:25 Go to previous message
Could well be the contacts that are bridged in the solenoid to complete the high current circuit for the starter moter. Mine were fucked, Toyota wanted $30 for new ones, so I made my own.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:dizzi Timing
Next Topic:Where 2 find a sprintex s-charger kit
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Oct 1 07:15:35 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061380863189697 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.