Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Modifying R31 BTR78 Skyline axle to suit TA22

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
myTA22
Regular

December 2002
Modifying R31 BTR78 Skyline axle to suit TA22 Mon, 31 March 2003 14:18 Go to next message
Hi Everybody.

Does anyoen know anything about modifying the BTR78 axle to suit a TA22? I know you need to shorten it etc but what have people paid to do that? Also what other options are there for calipers on these things? the old style ones look dodgey. What is the likely price i could pay for an LSD centre? At the moment it has a 3.89:1 open centre in it. Can anyone tell me a little bit about these diffs.

Thanks

Daniel
  Send a private message to this user    
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Modifying R31 BTR78 Skyline axle to suit TA22 Mon, 31 March 2003 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its a bog warmer diff - same as whats in the VL's onwards - plenty of people have had these shortened ect to fit the celica.

um, if you want an LSD get a silhouette diff - or - a VL turbo diff - complete with 28 splines...but expect to pay good money for em.
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Modifying R31 BTR78 Skyline axle to suit TA22 Tue, 01 April 2003 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There was a really comprehensive thread on this a while back, from memory any Borg Warner LSD centre (from a recent Commodore or Falcon) will fit. A VL turbo or Silhouette centre will probably be rooted by now. Something more recent would be good.

I looked into shortening an R31 diff, but some diff joints told me that you couldn't do it since the axle narrowed after the splines. Ring around a few places and check for yourself though. Also if you want a 4.1 ratio you can apparently use the pinion and crown wheels out of a Pintara no probs.
sebta22
Regular

August 2002
Re: Modifying R31 BTR78 Skyline axle to suit TA22 Wed, 02 April 2003 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Henn, all pintara diff are 25 spline while all skyline diffs iares 28 spline (from what i have been told)

the only diff shop who would modify the skyline diff in Perth says that the 28 spline can only be shortened. No use in using pintara diff or any pintara parts into skylne diff centre.
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Modifying R31 BTR78 Skyline axle to suit TA22 Wed, 02 April 2003 13:21 Go to previous message
Dan, you can buy a brand new lsd centre for $500, or I've been quoted $400 ea when buying two or more, from MotiveGear(?). They are a cone style LSD, good while new, but they don't like getting hot, and will throw back to open centre when pushed hard, and as they get older. A better option, although more expensive ($1400) is a torsion LSD. They come with a lifetime warranty and never slip.
Stay with the 28 spline stuff, you can't buy parts new for the older 25 spline stuff anymore. You can shorten the axles, their spline and axle diameter are the same.
These diffs have a 7.5" crownwheels, common to alot of other cars too such as Pintaras, Later model Falcons(earlier models use a different 25 spline 7.75" centre, that is not interchangable) and Commodore(some later model now run a larger new 7.75-8.0" centre), so you can use ratios from them too, or buy new ratios for around $400.
Calliper wise, you can fit anything you want too, so long as you're happy to pay to have it done, or do it yourself(and I know you don't have a workshop so...). These Skyline diffs run an intergral handbrake/rear calliper setup, so you'll need to consider that too when swapping callipers. You could adapt the lazy drum brake handbrake that the Falcons and Commodores use, but thats more to think about and pay for! Personally I'd just rebuild the standard callipers for now, and wait till you find their limit in the type of driving you do.
Cost wise, expect to pay around $700-800 just for the shortening and remounting. On top of that price, you also need to look at replacing seals and bearings, and while the diff is out, replace the bushes in the rear control arms too - it does wonders for feel and handling! You will also need to supply a standard diff for both the mounts and also the dimensions, location, and pinion angle.
Clint!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE82 Seca and Hatch Bonnets?????
Next Topic:r31 skyline diff
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Oct 4 03:29:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0073869228363037 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.