Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1UZ AFM mods?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
1jzmx83
Regular

October 2002
1UZ AFM mods? Thu, 15 May 2003 15:49 Go to next message
I was wondering if the computer on the 1UZ(Soarer) can handle having the metal gause taken out of the AFM. I read in Zoom that the LS1 responds really well to having this taken out and I just wondered if someone has done it to a 1UZ? also does anyone know where I can find an adapter to fit a pod style filter to the square end of the AFM.
The induction noise from a 1UZ without a filter is AWSOME, I would love to fit a pod filter to get the same rumble.

Thanks.
  Send a private message to this user    
Helmann
Regular

July 2002
Re: 1UZ AFM mods? Thu, 15 May 2003 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't know about the gauze in the afm but as for the adapter.
Just go to an engineering place and show them what you want. They will be able to make one no problemo.
Else you can buy a pod kit with an adapter already. The Apexi one comes with a cast aluminium adapter.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/hellmann/air%20filter/RIMG0006.JPG
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1UZ AFM mods? Thu, 15 May 2003 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unless I'm mistaken, the gauze to which you refer is the "hot-wire" element of the AFM. Remove this, and the engine wont run.

KDog
Regular

July 2002
Re: 1UZ AFM mods? Thu, 15 May 2003 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wouldn't reccommend it. Toyotas use 3 different types of AF meters. If it had a vane type it wouldn't matter if you removed it.
For the Karmen vortex meter and the hot wire type it is very important to have it there. For both types it helps to laminate the airflow which gives a better signal for the hot wire. For the KV type it helps keep steady turbulance from the vortec generator. THis is important because the frequency of the vortices is proportional to the velocity of the intake air (or engine load).
I'm pretty sure Soarers use one of the latter two.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1UZ AFM mods? Thu, 15 May 2003 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yah... it might not like being taken out, although it doesn't look like the nicest piece of stuff. Try it, run it on a dyno with a mixture meter, see if there's any difference. However, particularly with a lampshade filter, it might upset idle, cruise mixtures as well as leaning out full load.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 1UZ AFM mods? Fri, 16 May 2003 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1jzmx83 wrote on Fri, 16 May 2003 01:49

The induction noise from a 1UZ without a filter is AWSOME, I would love to fit a pod filter to get the same rumble.

Sounds great with a pod filter and no AFM too!

And the guys that went on the nowra cruise can tell you it sounds even better with no intake pipe or filter! I only got the car running 3 days before and didn't have the filter ready, so didn't use one. Sounded awesome! Evil or Very Mad
JDM hachi
Regular

February 2003
Re: 1UZ AFM mods? Fri, 16 May 2003 07:46 Go to previous message
if the mesh is like fly-wire then the purpose of it is for filtration of really big bits of stuff, if you can remove it without damaging it (if it just pops out) then give it a go. i think that the nissan AFM's are like this too, the mixtures on the nissan engines apparently go a bit leaner and the timing will advance just a little, give it a go and find out.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:W58 Gearbox on 22R?
Next Topic:AE86 ECU mounting
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 17 00:40:15 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0041780471801758 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.