Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Test Drove New Corolla Sportivo Sun, 25 May 2003 23:40 Go to next message
After all this enquiry and shit, I forgot my cousins GF works at Chollora Noble Toyota. So spoke to her Sat night, she said come and have a look, we got one in today. So went there yesterday, car looks really good, with a slight kit and 16" wheels. Dual Airbags, leather int, Digital Climate control, ABS, bigger brakes, all power options, except sunrrof.

There were 4 of us in the car, so really couldnt test the true performance, it was raining last night, so traction was a big issue, its got VVT-Li so you feel a "kick" at about 5500rpm. It goes really good, my mrs loved it, so she has ordered one...BLACK too .

The best thing tho......My cuz's GF is selling it cost, $28k on the road, with any option I want at cost, i.e Sunroof, for $1200
  Send a private message to this user    
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Test Drove New Corolla Sportivo Mon, 26 May 2003 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Awesome... How much bigger are the brakes than the normal Corolla??? Heaps bigger with twin spot calipers or just like the SX to the GTi was???
alwaysRA23
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Test Drove New Corolla Sportivo Tue, 27 May 2003 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my mate is a salesman for canberra toyota. so he gets all to drive all the cars and stuff,, take them home and all that..

one day he had a lil demo corolla with cool lil body kit and some mags.. had the "sportivo" touch and all that sorta stuff...

it wasnt a sportivo with the vvtLi but it still went really well..

the most recent car was a RAV4,

but i think he doesnt bother with it now that he bought his twin turbo *cough* auto *cough* supra. Smile
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Test Drove New Corolla Sportivo Tue, 27 May 2003 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn, Auto supra Sad But they have better top speed, or top end, as the ratios in the Auto are slightly longer.

Yeah, my cousin works for Ford, so he gets to drive some cool cars somethimes, most of the time its a shit AU Fort`, but his Mrs (the one selling me the Corolla) works for Toyota and she ALWAYS gets nice cars. I think her and the boss are....better not say Razz

Rolla boy, the suspension and brakes are different. Ive got the specs at home, ill let you know.
alwaysRA23
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Test Drove New Corolla Sportivo Tue, 27 May 2003 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah its auto..
and a lil dodgy,
the manual shift button dont work,
the stereo dont work
the tail lights dont work..

the rear skirts are fucked...
most of the dodgyness is superficial... altho he doesnt push much boost...
but he only paid 24 k for it so he had to expect something that wasnt A1

but anyways.. back to the thread.. the cool thing about having a friend as a salesperson is we got to test drive the new celica... but once again auto....

i wasnt overly impressed except for the fact that you can change gears with the steeringwheel buttons! Rolling Eyes
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Test Drove New Corolla Sportivo Sun, 01 June 2003 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Koolies, KB, let me know on that suspension and brakes please...

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Test Drove New Corolla Sportivo Mon, 02 June 2003 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The link to the detailed site is up now: http://www.corolla.toyota.com.au/Corolla/InDetail/ 0,1286,17-283^129,00.html

Its still got single piston calipers, with ventilated discs front, and solid discs rear. I think they made a boo-boo..."14-inch disc brakes at the front", thats like 355mm. THAT I'd like to see Laughing

The tyres are what they call "wide profile 195/55R16" Laughing

It claims to have "sports" suspension, we'd just have to see.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Test Drove New Corolla Sportivo Mon, 02 June 2003 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another booboo, look at the engine page.
The title says: "Indirect Ignition System" whereas the text reads: "Corolla Sportivo is fitted with Toyota's Direct Ignition System"
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Test Drove New Corolla Sportivo Mon, 02 June 2003 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmmmm I went to see one in the flesh last weekend and yeah the front brakes are quite big but 14" seemed a bit optemistic!!
Singles on the front??? Yeah??? That's no good!!

What are the front calipers on the current celica?? 1 or two piston?? And would it be possible to change them over and still work with the ABS??

binny
Regular

March 2003
Re: Test Drove New Corolla Sportivo Mon, 02 June 2003 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeeez,
You guys concentrate so hard on specs sometimes......
If you went and had a drive of a sportivo you would probably find they are more than adequate, single piston or not. If they are any better than the standard corolla they must be bloody fantastic. My wifes '02 conquest has the best brakes I have ever seen in a small car. They are way better than the brakes my seca sx had. Good hard pedal with plenty of bite. They pull you down from freeway speeds very strongly.
I am a little dissapointed with the size of tyre though. The conquest has 195's on it. You think they could have gone a bit wider. I guess you can't complain too much, they did keep the price under 30k which was a good effort, and very surprising for toyota.
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Test Drove New Corolla Sportivo Mon, 02 June 2003 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Binny, I was just wondering about the specs to see if they had done the same thing as the GTi/SX AE93 difference... Thats all... Single Piston, sliding calipers are okay, they stop well and don't fade at all on the new Rolla's, well I havn't had them fade at all...

SpeedCore, the Celicas have single piston, sliding aswell... (as far as I know)...
Jards88
Newcomer

May 2002
Re: Test Drove New Corolla Sportivo Mon, 02 June 2003 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Speedcore,

The Celica has 275mm ventilated front disks with single piston floating calipers and 269mm solid disks at the rear.

The Corolla Sportivo will be a bit slower than the Celica because of its extra weight, the Celica is 1119Kg and the Corolla is 1224Kg. A properly driven Celica will do mid to low 15's without too much trouble if gearchanges are done at 8200 (rev limiter is at 8300) and not at the redline of 7800. Changing at 7800 will cause the engine to drop off the high lift cam lobes thus losing valuable time while the revs build up again. It is interseting to note that the European Celicas are redlined at 8200 and I suspect that the US and Aussie cars are redlined at 7800 to meet emission standards.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Test Drove New Corolla Sportivo Tue, 03 June 2003 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
According to Toyota, the weight difference is just under 50kg between the ZR Celica and the Sportivo.
Jards88
Newcomer

May 2002
Re: Test Drove New Corolla Sportivo Tue, 03 June 2003 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok! The weight figures I quoted for the Celica were from my own 2000 model SX from the owners manual. The Sportivo figures were taken from a road test I read. On Toyota's web site the following tare weight figures are quoted:
Celica SX - 1112Kg
Celica ZR - 1138Kg
Corolla Sportivo - 1181Kg.

I always thought that the ZR Celica would be heavier than the SX due to the extra equipment fitted such as sunroof, 16 inch wheels and ABS, although my owners manual shows them to be the same weight. The above figures are probably pretty close to the mark.
roastbeefer
Newcomer

June 2003
Re: Test Drove New Corolla Sportivo Sat, 21 June 2003 03:25 Go to previous message
correcto,
the brakes on the new 02 corollas are absolutely brilliant for a run of the mill econocar- for any small car actually!

At wakefield, they never showed signs of fading all day, and even on the crappy low grip tyres were able to outbrake much more exotic machinery. The abs system is not too intrusive either, you can modulate braking power very easily.
For everyday driving, which i suspect most people will use the corolla for (lol), the brakes are MORE than adequate.

p.s this test was with a '02 corolla levin stationwagon.

Id much rather a well balanced braking system than a blingin 8 piston setup[just for the sake of having 8 pistons] anyday.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Turbo timer/ Alarm in one...any good?
Next Topic:check out this gold celica, what is a SV1?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 23:45:33 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052490234375 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.