Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Track Talk » Cold weather can be good and bad...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon4.gif  Cold weather can be good and bad... Thu, 12 June 2003 02:30 Go to next message
Driving down to Canberra on Sunday night (temp change of about 10 degrees to -1), I come down Northbourne and turn left onto Girrawheen in Braddon. This is the first real corner for something like 300km, so I'm normally anticipating this. Nice and tight but opens up and it has positive camber. I love booting it through that corner.

Anyway, I do my usual thing, just before hitting the apex I mash the loud pedal. What I didn't anticipate was the fact that the car had gained a whole bunch of kW from the cold weather. Bloody thing hooked up limo (which never happens, stupid open diff) and I find myself sliding through three lanes with half my car ending up on the incoming lane.
Man, did it pick up and go! Certainly woke me up! Very Happy
  Send a private message to this user    
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Cold weather can be good and bad... Thu, 12 June 2003 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL... Nice one Nark...

Was there any oncoming cars though??? Cause that could've ended up nasty if there was a semi or something Shocked Shocked Shocked ...
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Cold weather can be good and bad... Thu, 12 June 2003 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've been enjoying the cold weather... normally it's bloody impossible to unstick the supra on a fast corner, but I've been getting nice little chirps here and there the past few days.

I wish I could've seen that max. Did you have to change your pants when you got there? Smile
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Cold weather can be good and bad... Thu, 12 June 2003 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the cold just means my 18R-GU runs slightly less rich.... Rolling Eyes

and like i have the money to get it tuned for the cold... Laughing
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Cold weather can be good and bad... Thu, 12 June 2003 19:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, by slightly I mean I can now see the car behind me if I floor it... they don't completely diappear Smile
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon14.gif  Re: Cold weather can be good and bad... Fri, 13 June 2003 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rolla Boy wrote on Thu, 12 June 2003 19:16

Was there any oncoming cars though??? Cause that could've ended up nasty if there was a semi or something Shocked Shocked Shocked ...

Nah, I never would've hit it that hard if I saw any traffic.

draven wrote on Thu, 12 June 2003 20:25

I wish I could've seen that max. Did you have to change your pants when you got there? Smile

hehe Believe it or not, the first thing that sprung to my mind was trying to figure out how and why it hooked up limo! Very Happy
The actual slide was easily controllable, just unpredicted. I had plenty of room to correct it. And doing that sort of stuff for years, your reflexes sorta just take over in situations like that.

I've been in much, much worse situations before which nearly did require a change of pants though! Laughing
I remember once when my steering rack was REAL loose. Gunning it from the lights in the rain, shift from second to third at about 90km/h and the whole car just threw itself to the right.... Into the path of a bus! Man, was I glad I caught that one!!! Shocked

We should do a late night cruise in Canberra during the winter.... Huge smooth roads, big sweepers, and sub-zero temperatures make for lots of fun. Smile
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Cold weather can be good and bad... Fri, 13 June 2003 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Be good to see you guys down this way just have to be careful of the boys in blue they tend to get a bit testy sometimes.
The only shitter about the cold weather here is the frost on the cars in the morning sometimes the dog bowl can have about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch of ice in it. brrrrrrrr.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon3.gif  Re: Cold weather can be good and bad... Fri, 13 June 2003 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep. A garage is a requirement in Canberra... I'd never park my car on the street during winter. I'd hate to start my car when there is a layer of frost all over it...
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Cold weather can be good and bad... Fri, 13 June 2003 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
scrape it off and dump it on top of your intercooler Smile
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Cold weather can be good and bad... Fri, 13 June 2003 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Fri, 13 June 2003 17:21

scrape it off and dump it on top of your intercooler Smile

lol.. Gold! Laughing
alwaysRA23
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Cold weather can be good and bad... Sat, 14 June 2003 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was driving down the monaro once and at about 3 am and it was sooooo cold that ice started forming on my wing mirror... stoped at the servo in calwell, when i got back in the car my hand stuck to the door handle.... only for a moment tho... Shocked
stupid ice.. and coldness...

still cant wait for the snow tho!!! Very Happy
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Cold weather can be good and bad... Sat, 14 June 2003 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmms - i do find the GT4 is more lively on the boostage with the chillyness of morning - Can make for some fun times ..

Add Shiteloads of rain to the equation and you THANK GOD for all wheel drive. Now i just need a decent set of Wet tyres and i wont go scaring the hell out of myself Wink

Will be interesting moreso when the frontmount happens - it still doesnt get Full cold air blasts on the intercooer - seeing it sits on top of a nice toasty warm motor .
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Cold weather can be good and bad... Mon, 16 June 2003 01:43 Go to previous message
i love the cold mornings the car goes like an animal in the cold cold weather ! bring on the - temps!!!!! yay
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:QLD Raceway Sprints, who has been??
Next Topic:hoon protocol?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 18:17:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0064489841461182 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.