Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » equations to calculate power and torque?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

equations to calculate power and torque? Tue, 17 June 2003 12:58 Go to next message
Heya Ppl,
was just musing over some numbers and thought i'd share.

thinking of a way of guesstimating what power and torque an engine _can_ produce (any engine) and how to tell when ppls numbers are over the top...

i was thinking that a good estimate the max torque of an engine is to take a figure 100Nm/L (since bikes get around that and are damn efficient, close to 100%volumetric efficiency) then multiply by your capacity, multiply by 1+ number of atmospheres above boost (ie 1atm boost is x2, 1.5bar boost is x2.5), or by the expected efficiency like 0.9 for 90%, and since power is calculated from torque, then plug ya rpm numbers into

Nm = (9402 x kw) / rpm

or

kw = (Nm x rpm) / 9402

so then

kw = (engine size x 100 x (1+ boost) x rpm) / 9402
where engine size is in litres, boost is in Bar or atm)

and Nm = engine size x 100 x (1+ boost)
or Nm = engine size x 100 x efficiency (in %)

you can then divide by your expected losses to get expected RWkw
note that this assumes 100% efficiency unless you factor in lower than 100%VE.
thoughts?
Cya, Stewart

Send a private message to this user    
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: equations to calculate power and torque? Tue, 17 June 2003 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi stewart,

i suppose the next thing to do is draw up a chart of Ve values for different standard engines - at the least, it would throw up some baseline figures?

Maybe there's some Ve guestimates buried away in the Megasquirt archives? Wink

And maybe some standard % losses from known drive systems (from g/box & diffs) to make the RWkw more real-life?

at least i could then guess what my RA40 should be producing with some degree of accuracy...

jeez it's late to be thinking about this stuff Wink

ta,
thechuckster.
Liam
Regular

July 2002
Re: equations to calculate power and torque? Tue, 17 June 2003 17:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interesting theory.

One thing though, would you be able to tell me how you calculated the divisor value of 9402 for the power/torque equation? (opposed to 5252, or 16500/pi for imperial values)

When i converted HP and lb-ft to kW and Nm, i came up with a conversion factor for the divisor of 20/11, yielding 9549 (or 30000/pi), so i'm interested where the discrepancy between the two lies.

ie:
HP = (lb-ft x RPM)/5252

and since
HP = 1.34 kW
lb-ft = 0.737 Nm ... 3.28/(0.454 x 9.807)

we have
1.34 kW = (0.737 Nm x RPM)/5252

Therefore
kW = (0.55 Nm x RPM)/5252
kW = (Nm x RPM)/9549

Regards,
Liam.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: equations to calculate power and torque? Wed, 18 June 2003 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or if you know your MPH at the end of a quarter mile.

HP = (MPH/234)^3 * weight in pounds

do that and then multiply by .8 because that is for perfect aerodynamics unless you have a f1 car or the likes Smile eg. supras are around .8. this calculates HP at the wheels.

also, you can twist it around and see what is the best possible MPH you can achieve if you know how much power you have.

later
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: equations to calculate power and torque? Wed, 18 June 2003 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Note that determining power from a torque figure will only give the power figgure for that specific rpm. So if you start with the engine's peak torque (which may be at 3000rpm), you will end up with the engine's power at 3000rpm. The peak power figure is always at higher rpm than the peak torque.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: equations to calculate power and torque? Wed, 18 June 2003 03:23 Go to previous message

Chuck, well, if we can get a bunch of data for different engines and their torque and power numbers for stock motors (at specific rpm) then we can get a good idea of what efficiency/ losses they have..

Liam,
well starting with kw, multiply by 1.34 to get HP.

then ftlbs = (HPx5252)/rpm

then Nm = 1.336 ftlbs and 1 ftlb = 0.748Nm
(since 1ft lb = (1/2.2)x9.8x0.3)

0.748Nm = (1.34kwx5252)/rpm
0.748Nm = (7037 kw) /rpm
so
Nm = 9408.66 kw / rpm

that's where i got the 9402 from (carried numbers this time tho Wink

bassaholic, thanks for that, was wondering about that too Smile
hmm so 92mph for my rolla then... got any ET estimate calcs?
i think an F1 car has more drag actually, since they produce like a few hundred kilos of downforce (can't they run upside down above a certain speed?)

Norbie, yup, understood.. i used these eqns with my dyno day 5 graph, picked numbers along the graph and plugged into excel, so i could generate a torque curve.. as you said, these Eqns are _only_ to calculate torque/power at a specific rpm.

hopefully someone wil bring a laptop to the dyno day so we can do some number plugging!!!!
Cya, Stewart
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Supercharging carbies?
Next Topic:Need for drive shaft problem of AE86
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 02:56:49 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005040168762207 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.