Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Your choice FWD or RWD ?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
waynewatson
Regular

May 2003
Your choice FWD or RWD ? Thu, 19 June 2003 05:51 Go to next message

FWD or RWD[ 55 vote(s) ]
1.FWD 13 / 24%
2.RWD 42 / 76%

I'm not talking about racing, just everyday driving.

I've just upgraded from the ol 84 celica to a SX Seca. Now I'm not game enough to go around corners at any decent speed for fear of losing all control, even driving in a straight line sometimes is frightful. Lucky it hasn't rained up here yet.

I know the celica is lower and slower, but still... FWD a whole new world.

PS: I haven't included AWD because it's an obvious choice.

Send a private message to this user    
Sam
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Thu, 19 June 2003 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For daily driving, if it's set up well then there's really little difference.

I drove my boss's A4 and it handles well for a FWD.. certainly more than you'd ever need for daily driving.

sam
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Thu, 19 June 2003 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I personaly like the natural feedback given by a front steer/ rear drive layout. You know, throttle on = oversteer. Or that kind of lazy kick the car sideways on demand. FWD definitely misses out there.
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Thu, 19 June 2003 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i voted for rwd

but fwd can be awsome if its set up properly

you need a completley different style to drive a fwd round corners quickly, but they are alot of fun when driven right.

ie starting to understeer before the corner, nailing the throttle at the entry to get the front to break traction and slide across mid corner, at the same time flicking the steering wheel so the back breaks traction too (or using the handbreak) so u have all 4 wheels sliding round a corner. heaps of fun Surprised

havent yet been able to do that in a RWD
Shteeve
Regular

July 2002

Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Thu, 19 June 2003 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for daily driving, i dont care about the drivetrain configuration. when my celica was off the road for 3 months i was driving my dad's 2001 lancer, and although it was gutless it was actually better than the celica for economy (c'mon, 18RGs arent known for their efficiency, and 7 ltr/100 km is good).

and as for handling, etc i actually didnt mind it either... i completely fried the brakes going down mt dandenong one day, and handbrakies are fun too!!
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Thu, 19 June 2003 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWD in a small car but if you have heaps of grunt then i'd like it at the rear wheels,

Front wheel drive i feel takes more precision to drive, rear wheel drive you have more room for error,

just do the oppisit in a FWD to that you would do in a RWD, if your in a front wheel drive go into the corner with your foot hard on the gas just as you begin to turn into the apex lift off the gas and watch the back slide out but don't freak out if you touch the breaks you just make it worse, if the back begins to side out just apply a little more gas and it will sort itself out,

thats why a lot of people don't have guts to drive FWD to the limit as it can be scary going well into the corner with your foot still hard on the gas and when it does start to slide out it feels weird sticking your foot back onto the gas pedal, if you want to learn FWD go on heaps of dirt tracks as that will make it easier for you to get the back out at slower speeds and once your used to controlling the car when its trying to go out of control then you can move onto the tarmac and apply it there.

FWD's driven hard makes RWD'ers go Shocked
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Thu, 19 June 2003 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is it that they require more precision or are they an inherrently worse design in regards to balance? Razz
Shteeve
Regular

July 2002

Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Thu, 19 June 2003 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they arent designed worse, its just that its the aussie "man's" impression that anything that cant do rwd burnouts sucks or something. in my dads lancer with stock tyres and suspension i have kept up with someone driving a "special vehicle" that obviously had a lot more power.

i just love going into corners faster than i have a right to, and its actually fun, you just gotta get over the "girlie" stigma
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Thu, 19 June 2003 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Read what I said, I worded it so for a reason Razz They aren't designed worse, they were primarily designed for a different purpose. They are a poorer design in terms of "balamce". Very Happy
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Thu, 19 June 2003 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think fwd need more control of balance and rwd needs more control of the throttle during a curve.

fwd can be very fast around corners, there are some corners in my hills run that i still cant take as fast in my series 4 infini with uprated factory suspension and a strut brace, as i could take in my old 82' mazda 323 5 speed.....
Mijbril
Regular

April 2003
Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Thu, 19 June 2003 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The car I have now is an AWD, my first ever AWD.

I will never own another car that is not AWD, even if I have to pay some huge sum for the conversion, I just love AWD now...

That said, given a choice of FWD & RWD, it's going to be RWD everything Smile
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Thu, 19 June 2003 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I drive heaps of cars at work, 200sx's 350Z STI's

I love the WRX's for their grip level and how they just rocket off and can take corners at such a high speed but when you keep your foot into it in a WRX in a corner it will start to loose the back but you just keep your foot into it as its got the grip level to just keep going where you want it,

RWD like 350Z's are just simply fun to drive and i guess the lazy way to make yourself look good, get the back to hang out on command even when your doing 20km/h

Where front wheel drive you really have to push it hard and if you come around a corner with the back hanging out then it puts a smile that big on your face that your cheeks get sore,

any knob can fly around a corner in a AWD car,

any knob can get the arse to han out in a RWD car but how many people out there have the balls and abbility to get the back hanging out on a FWD car????

everyone knows RWD cars oversteer,
and front wheel drive cars understeer,
so when you get a FWD car to oversteer then you know your doing a bloody good job,

in no way am i saying you have no skill if you drive a RWD car or an AWD car i'm simply saying my opinion which is i get much more satisfaction pushing a FWD car to its limit and beyond then in any other car as i feel they are a harder car to push to the upmost limt,

look at the world rally champion ship, remember how those front wheel drive cars would beat some of the AWD world rally cars on a few tarmac stages,

so don't tell me front wheel drive doesn't have balance they sure do exspecially when you fi a complete whiteline package like my car, they have increadable balance, its just a completely different type of balance which requires a different driving style to match.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Thu, 19 June 2003 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not saying you can't learn to deal with the balance, but from a technical point of view, having all that weight over the front of the car is always going to mean you will be driving (although it could be VERY fast Smile ) around the initial understeer...get what I mean?

GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Thu, 19 June 2003 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes i know what you mean all i'm saying is it just requires a different driving style compared to RWD, both FWD and RWD have their bad and good points, it pretty much just comes down to how the driver can highlight the good points to decide which would be faster.

and depends on the person some people couldn't drive a FWD fast while others couldn't drive a RWD fast and then there is a large amount of us Toymoders who can drive any car fast Razz
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Thu, 19 June 2003 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For the poll RWD takes my vote - having the steering + the power on the same wheels is bad carma in my oppinion - especially in the wet - once that front slips - its outta here in a fwd ..

RWD is a little more " grey " as you have more room for error and correction

personal choice overall though is AWD - mY gt4 - even with its old stocko saggy suspension still grips like a cut cat ( see avatar and posty thing at message bottom )

its Easy as hell to drive for fun - just turn in - and keep the power up - simple effective and grippy Smile

RWD in my old ta22 was more a Challenge to drive spiritedly - but nothing - i mean NOTHING beats AWD and boost for simple fun handling + rollercoaster ride like fun thru the bends
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Thu, 19 June 2003 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Amen GIN51E. Very Happy

Classique does make one other point that I forgot, about having the powered wheels doing the steering...you hear about a lot more FWD cars being criticised for poor feedback than RWD.
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Thu, 19 June 2003 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Try driving a front wheel car in the wet with slick tyres Shocked

new wheels and tyres soon Very Happy

and you mention front wheel drive in the wet is hard, hmm well yes it is they are very much a dry weather car but try driving it in the wet without power steering watch out dumping that clutch in gear changes as the steering wheel gets its own mind at those times Razz

anyway no one can say i'm knocking cars, i love my front wheel drive it gives me a challange yet if i won the lotto i would go buy myself a GTS coupe and a 1994 GT4

simply because you can't get away with heaps of power out of a front wheel drive like you can with RWD or AWD unless you have 325 tyres and a very powerful power steering pump Laughing
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Thu, 19 June 2003 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GIN51E wrote on Thu, 19 June 2003 19:12

any knob can get the arse to han out in a RWD car but how many people out there have the balls and abbility to get the back hanging out on a FWD car????

Me, once.

It was a very tight corner, and I hit it VERY fast for it to do it. If I was in a RWD, it would have hung out at half the speed.

And since it was a little surprising at the time, the recovery involved a little bit of a fishy, then it was perfect again.

But what do they say for understeer? You point where you want to go and give it some accelerator? (I think that's it, I've never understeered before).
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Thu, 19 June 2003 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apollo wrote on Thu, 19 June 2003 21:14

GIN51E wrote on Thu, 19 June 2003 19:12

But what do they say for understeer? You point where you want to go and give it some accelerator? (I think that's it, I've never understeered before).

??? You have never understeered in a FWD car??? You just not driving hard enough!! Very Happy

As for the FWD Vs RWD..... well after driving FWD for the past 5 years with the occasional drive in a RWD car, I can honestly say that I am not that confident in driving a RWD car fast, YET!! Rolling Eyes But put me in ANY FWD car and I will push it to its limits straight off the bat after about 10 -30 mins of getting aquainted.

It is funny how you become conditioned and used to a car and how it handles and even if you are driving in a new area that you are unfamiliar with you can judge how fast and what angle to attack a corner as you approach it, or what I refer to as DRIVING BLIND!

This is my favorite type of driving, going to somewhere new and driving as close to the limit as possible, with little room for error! Can you say adrenalin junky!! Very Happy Thing is though I love to do this I only like to drive hard around mountains at night because of being able to see headlights, but in normal traffic, I drive like a grandma!

Hmmmmmm soon I will have to get used to doing everything opposite, RWD 101 for me Smile , have a whole new learning curve to get used to again, since the days of my old '71 Capri, god that was a PHUN first car!!
strober
Regular

June 2002
Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Thu, 19 June 2003 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
normal driving i dont mind either

most of us would never have the opportunity to learn the skill of a controlled oversteer

i heard that he 350z handled very well and was difficult to oversteer.
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Thu, 19 June 2003 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
strober: Your absolutley right! The new 350Z cann't be oversteered because of the computer taking over and applying braking and yaw control ETC. Keichi Tsuchiya tried to drift in it and could only do so by using inertia, but it wasn't that flash to watch. I've go the Best Motoring Vol.6 with the 350Z.... I'd drive one anyday!! Best part of the vid is Tsuchiya whooping the shit out of a R34 GTR on the Gunsai Touge with a Trueno!!

[Updated on: Thu, 19 June 2003 12:41]

wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Thu, 19 June 2003 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWD Take a bit of getting used too. But you need the right setup. When my 162 was standard it was pretty bad but with the new suspension setup It is actually really good.

Trust me I have out handled some RWDs on coners.

I agree with Speedcore comments in the first few lines.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon1.gif  Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Fri, 20 June 2003 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDs and AWDs are boring to drive. All you do is worry about the front end.
I've had the rear come out in heaps of FWDs but it's not really an issue they sorta do their own thing, you don't have to worry about them, just worry about pointing the front wheels in the right direction.
There's a whole lot more momentum when the rear end of a RWD comes out though, especially one with firm suspension, they can snap out real quick.
Never had the arse end come out in an AWD, I'd imagine that that would happen a few seconds before I killed myself.... hehe

One thing that separates the RWDs is that you can steer it through a corner with the throttle. That just makes it a much more absorbing affair...

AWDs are sorta in between, depending on how their power is split. Rear biased AWDs like the Evo and GT-R would be fun to drive I reckon. Never been lucky enough to give one a thrash though. Sad
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Fri, 20 June 2003 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah dude I don't know about boring, like was said, there is a heck of a lot of fun going into a corner faster than you have a right to, and then rather than braking, the obvious reaction, you just punch it right through the corner and leave with almost more speed than you entered

now THAT is fun.

Come to think of it, the whole 'driving' thing is fun, and can be fun no matter what you drive. Sure some cars are dumb and wimpy, but that just makes the challenge to enjoy it greater...

Each to his own.

(Hey Wiso, I need new suspension what should I get? so we don't spam, do you wanna PM me?)
ra23celicachick
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Fri, 20 June 2003 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've driven both front and rear and I haven't really noticed the difference except when driving fast. With the front wheel drive, point it in the direction you want it to go and it went (unless wheels locked up) and when the car is loosing grip it shudders.

Rear wheel I find it easier to kick the back out, a few time's I've had some close calls.

I think it's just what you're used too. I used to always drive a fwd and found it odd when I went to RWD, but then when I swap back it's weird.
Browndog
Regular

November 2002
Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Fri, 20 June 2003 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

ust do the oppisit in a FWD to that you would do in a RWD, if your in a front wheel drive go into the corner with your foot hard on the gas just as you begin to turn into the apex lift off the gas and watch the back slide out but don't freak out if you touch the breaks you just make it worse, if the back begins to side out just apply a little more gas and it will sort itself out,
thats why a lot of people don't have guts to drive FWD to the limit as it can be scary going well into the corner with your foot still hard on the gas and when it does start to slide out it feels weird sticking your foot back onto the gas pedal, if you want to learn FWD go on heaps of dirt tracks as that will make it easier for you to get the back out at slower speeds and once your used to controlling the car when its trying to go out of control then you can move onto the tarmac and apply it there.

No that not the fastest teqnique for a FWD. You should break as required for the corner and get it into the correct gear for the corner. Then the right foot stays on the power the left foot comes off the clutch and onto the break, to generate over steer you apply more break while keeping the throttle down to maintain your speed. You modulate the break and throttle (Usually keep the throttle flat to the floor or close to it) to make sure you keep the front wheels gripping. Because your drive wheels never break loose and the trottle is open you have full power early on exit. Get it right and if feels amazing. When rwd ppl ride with me they are surpised at the cornering speed and the wierd sensation.

This is great in small low powered cars but in my mind would not work as well with more power. Powerful cars need FR layout
waynewatson
Regular

May 2003
Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Fri, 20 June 2003 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
madmen (and ladies)
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Fri, 20 June 2003 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i find if you have your fot riding the breaks and the other foot flat on the gas in a FWD is the quickest way to make sure you have no breaks left by the next corner, driving fast is all about keeping the momentum up so in front wheel drive you go into the corner too fast then off the gas to set the back out so you get oversteer then back on the gas to pull yourself out of the corner.

all i can see happening with your foot on the gas and break is nothing whats the point of having your foot on the gas when your foot is on the break???

yet you can look at a couple of race drivers who get the same lap times but take completly different driving lines, it comes down to how you get the car around the corner the fastest in your own way.

also 350Z you can have fun with there is something you do to turn traction control off and the stability program.

although there has been reports that on a media day they turned trac control off and went nuts and ended up burning out all the senses Very Happy
DiZ_
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Fri, 20 June 2003 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Browndog wrote on Fri, 20 June 2003 13:29

You should break as required for the corner and get it into the correct gear for the corner. Then the right foot stays on the power the left foot comes off the clutch and onto the break, to generate over steer you apply more break while keeping the throttle down to maintain your speed. You modulate the break and throttle (Usually keep the throttle flat to the floor or close to it) to make sure you keep the front wheels gripping. Because your drive wheels never break loose and the trottle is open you have full power early on exit. Get it right and if feels amazing. When rwd ppl ride with me they are surpised at the cornering speed and the wierd sensation.

This is great in small low powered cars but in my mind would not work as well with more power. Powerful cars need FR layout

Guess what I'll be donig later tonight Very Happy

Edit - GIN51E , how much does your chad weight?

[Updated on: Fri, 20 June 2003 09:58]

Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Fri, 20 June 2003 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can't think of any reason why I could ever want a FWD. True enough I've always driven RWD's, but I had the chance to drive a silvertop powered AE-82 the other day in Malaysia, at Batu Tiga race track. It was about as fast as my mate's KE-70 silvertop car, but the tyres went off after only a few laps, making it an understerring pig. The KE-70 was nice & neutral the entire time.
A properly set up RWD will always (all things being equal) beat a FWD around a tracko the road. The FWD's have a slight advantage in power at the wheels, and this is more apparent in low powered cars like Corolla's.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Sat, 21 June 2003 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and in a rally, FWD will beat RWD, all other things equal. they've both got good and bad, but I feel RWD has more character, more fun to drive. OF course, I've never driven a 300bhp FWD car for proper comparison Razz

my order is:
AWD - RWD bias. keeps the fun factor of RWD, but adds in better acceleration & handling
RWD
AWD - close to 50:50 ratio
FWD
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Sat, 21 June 2003 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
870KG
NuGeN
Regular

April 2003
Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Sat, 21 June 2003 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But from a practicality point of view: FWD would win.
Since the weight of the engine is over the drive wheels it gives it better traction. Also FWD suffers from less drivetrain loss, that means better fuel economy. Cabin space is also more as well since there is no need for a driveshaft and rear diff.

Then again for pure fun factor I'd wanna RWD anyday.
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Sat, 21 June 2003 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

??? You have never understeered in a FWD car??? You just not driving hard enough!!

Probably due to a few things:

My car is just that billiant. Very Happy

Or/and, I know to take it easy in the wet and pretend I'm driving on ice.

As for going around corners, it's all about maintaining a constant speed, (make sure you are going the correct speed as you enter the corner, not during the corner), and going the shortest route. It's faster to go in straight lines to and from the apex than to do a curve. Just put a right angle on top of a circle, and that's the shortest route to drive. Single lane roundabouts are great for practising this.

Quote:

I think it's just what you're used too. I used to always drive a fwd and found it odd when I went to RWD, but then when I swap back it's weird.

Why do people say this?

I can quite comfortably jump into either FWD or RWD cars and drive them.

Before I got my current car, my previous car was a RWD corolla, and I felt no strangness going from it to my current FWD car. Just get in and go. Smile

Quote:

Cabin space is also more as well since there is no need for a driveshaft and rear diff.

Actually, I don't really find that true that much.

I've still got the space that the center console takes up whether there's a gearbox under it or not, plus I still have the "hump" in the center rear from a tunnel that is now used for the exhaust pipe instead of a drive shaft.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon2.gif  Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Sat, 21 June 2003 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apollo wrote on Sat, 21 June 2003 23:32

Before I got my current car, my previous car was a RWD corolla, and I felt no strangness going from it to my current FWD car. Just get in and go. Smile

I find that if I hop into an arse dragger, I tend to run over things with the rear wheels when I turn. ie: When I go around (or even through) roundabouts, the inside rear will hit the roundabout.
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Sat, 21 June 2003 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try turning the steering wheel a bit more Very Happy
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon2.gif  Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Sat, 21 June 2003 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That'd make me hit things even more!

Seriously though, there's a big difference with the path of the real wheels. If they're being pulled, they'll transcribe a smaller arc (that's where I get the trouble from, I'm used to the arc that the rear wheels travel when the car's being pushed rather than pulled).
I tend to run real close to kerbs (my mags wear lots of battle scars from that) to get the best line through a corner and a few cms can mean the difference between hitting and missing.
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Sat, 21 June 2003 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
youve been pracitising dropping your tyre in the gutter havent you Laughing

nah i allways let the tire rub on the very edge of the roundabout or a corner if its one of those shallow edges (not curbs) , it makes me feel like im zooming around on the track, and i feel like im taking the best line thru the corner, not that theres much variation in the line u can take on a one lane road, but atleast im having fun Very Happy
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Sun, 22 June 2003 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Sat, 21 June 2003 23:55

Apollo wrote on Sat, 21 June 2003 23:32

I find that if I hop into an arse dragger, I tend to run over things with the rear wheels when I turn. ie: When I go around (or even through) roundabouts, the inside rear will hit the roundabout.

I take it you mean FWD? Nice term for it, I'll have to remember it. Smile Wow, isn't there anyone else that doesn't feel bothered for if it's a FWD or RWD and can just get in it and go? But I do understand what people are used to driving ALL the time and can really feel the difference between the two. Wink

But hang on, you said inside rear? So you fully mount the rear on the roundabout?

Quote:

I tend to run real close to kerbs (my mags wear lots of battle scars from that) to get the best line through a corner and a few cms can mean the difference between hitting and missing.

So THAT'S the excuse you use for hitting gutters. Very Happy

You gotta really practise driving close to stuff if you keep hitting it, those wheels of yours are too nice to hit on stuff. I can comfortably drive within inches of parked cars, and that came from practise driving up and down my street because noone except for me has grasped the concept of keeping their cars in their driveways or garages it would seem.
Ollygt
Regular

January 2003
Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Sun, 22 June 2003 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some FWD cars have almost a 50:50 weight ratio so I don't think you can use that argument.

I like both, but I'm more used to FWD, As to which I prefer, it really comes down to a car by car basis. Some FWD's I've driven have been shocking as with some RWD. Only driven one AWD/4WD vehicle at the moment so I can't comment on that.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Sun, 22 June 2003 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ollygt...name one FWD car with a 50:50 weight distribution? I don't think there would've been one produced...

It'd require ballast added to the back Confused
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon2.gif  Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Mon, 23 June 2003 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apollo wrote on Sun, 22 June 2003 12:46

Nark wrote on Sat, 21 June 2003 23:55

I take it you mean FWD? Nice term for it, I'll have to remember it. Smile Wow, isn't there anyone else that doesn't feel bothered for if it's a FWD or RWD and can just get in it and go? But I do understand what people are used to driving ALL the time and can really feel the difference between the two. Wink

But hang on, you said inside rear? So you fully mount the rear on the roundabout?

Nah, I touch whereas I normally don't.

And yeah, arse dragger = FWD. I like that term too. Smile

Apollo wrote on Sun, 22 June 2003 12:46

Quote:

So THAT'S the excuse you use for hitting gutters. Very Happy

You gotta really practise driving close to stuff if you keep hitting it, those wheels of yours are too nice to hit on stuff. I can comfortably drive within inches of parked cars, and that came from practise driving up and down my street because noone except for me has grasped the concept of keeping their cars in their driveways or garages it would seem.

Yeah, I know where my car ends. But I tend to take roundabouts at high speeds.
And since there are no adverse effects to hitting the roundabout, I tend to run as close as I can to them. Once in a while I misjudge.
Kerbs are a different matter...
Ollygt
Regular

January 2003
Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Mon, 23 June 2003 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Sun, 22 June 2003 19:53

Ollygt...name one FWD car with a 50:50 weight distribution? I don't think there would've been one produced...

It'd require ballast added to the back Confused

I said almost...

The 6th generation Civic 4 door comes close (EG series) About 40:60

And thats certainly better than my Charade...must be about 70:30..but it seems to handle nicely.

[Updated on: Mon, 23 June 2003 01:43]

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon2.gif  Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Mon, 23 June 2003 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's hardly close dude.

And the bad weight split is what gives FWD its advantage (over RWD) in low grip situations.
Ollygt
Regular

January 2003
Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Mon, 23 June 2003 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm are FWD's generally lighter overall?

I guess it really is down to a car by car basis, don't see too many utes with that 50:50 Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Mon, 23 June 2003 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWD's in theory are mostly a bit lighter, cos no tailshaft etc.

Utes are different than cars, cos a lot of them have aluminium trays, which weigh SFA, whereas a car is always going to have a back on it.

And I doubt the Civic is rear-heavy!
Ollygt
Regular

January 2003
Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Mon, 23 June 2003 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 4 door is compared to the 3door hatch.
An Accord Aerodeck would probably be more so Smile
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Your choice FWD or RWD ? Fri, 04 July 2003 05:30 Go to previous message
I voted for FWD as controling them is a lot easyer. But some ppl think driving a FWD is like driving an auto.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Stockish GTi Swift 12secs??
Next Topic:What AE86 grill is this?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:04:22 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0076661109924316 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.