Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
PayneyCelica18rg
Regular

November 2002

POLICE abusing POWERS Fri, 20 June 2003 22:07 Go to next message
I would like to take this opertunity to express my disgust at the police here on the Gold Coast last weekend, and there abuse of powers. For those of you who havent heard, the popular carpark for driving enthusiest (aka HOONS), the broadwater carpark, was raided by a herd of over 70 cops. they techniclly impounded over 220 cars for several hours and went through the lot as they tried to leave. It took some drivers more than 2 hours to have their cars inspected and the whole raid took 7 hours. even when doing roadside inspections, they only ever pull over a few at a time and it takes 5 minutes if you have nothing wrong. but dispite their efforts out of 220 cars they only ticketed 60. we all know they can find anyting if they want, from a low washer bottle to 1 out of the 5 breaklights out of order. I'm am heading there tonignht, but if they do it again, ill lock it up, and leave it there till the morning...
  Send a private message to this user    
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: POLICE abusing POWERS Fri, 20 June 2003 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dunno about some people but this situation seems simple enough to me...

If your car is legal then u wont have any problems...

simple as that.
PayneyCelica18rg
Regular

November 2002

Re: POLICE abusing POWERS Fri, 20 June 2003 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BUT if your car is legal then you were detained for several hours, and your car was technically imounded without cause...
jut because you were at a car park. there were cars there from people who were eating at restaurants in Nerang street. they were also inspected and held up.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: POLICE abusing POWERS Fri, 20 June 2003 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EDITED: I now understand what you were saying about time BUT...

I bet that everyone in the restaurant were more than happy to let the police go over their cars content with the fact the their cars are all legal...

as i said before

If your car is legal then u wont have any problems...

*sigh* im sick of seeing people post on forums complaining that they got defected spouting the same "ohh why arent they out there catching real crooks" line, news flash, your car is not a right it is a privilege, therefore a responsibility to keep it legal and roadworthy.

and use your common sense, if your hanging out at those car parks you are bound to get trouble by the police...

THOUGHT EXPERIMENT No.1: look at it logically from a policemans point of view...

Action: Policeman driving past empty car park.

Re-action: "dum dee dum"

Action: Policeman driving past a carpark full of kids and their cars where most look illegally modified.

Re-action: "Im gonna have to check these cars out"

WHAT DO U FUCKING EXPECT A POLICEMAN TO DO!?!?!?!?

Use your brain! How is it possible that u can expect cops to just leave you alone and be on their merry way?

I will give u an solution in plain english that will solve ALL of your problems...

If you dont want to get hassled by the cops, dont hang out in the places that invite them with illegally modified cars!

/end smackdown

[Updated on: Sat, 21 June 2003 00:07]

PayneyCelica18rg
Regular

November 2002

Re: POLICE abusing POWERS Sat, 21 June 2003 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I never said they took only 5 minutes. I said on a road side inspection pulling up 4 or 5 at a time, using the mobile vehicle inspection unit, it was about 5 minutes. Everyone was held up, for ages. out of 220 cars, only 63 were given notices, mostly minor, only 5 were issued defective. out of 220... that is a complete waste of time for the drivers and the police. these 70 police officers should be fighting, i dunno, crime??!! or something... for 7 hours. If i was a burgler, i would have had a field day...
here on the Coast, there are many many rusty 180b's, corollas, commos vanged up falcons, owned by people who only drive these smokey rust buckets to work and don't get pulled over... as the stats showed from the other night 5/220 were taken off the road and 63/220 were issues minor defects... i think they should close off pac fair carpark during the day and do it then.
but NO...

please also note, i did not get a notice...

rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: POLICE abusing POWERS Sat, 21 June 2003 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pure textbook retort..... well done.
PayneyCelica18rg
Regular

November 2002

Re: POLICE abusing POWERS Sat, 21 June 2003 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
???
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: POLICE abusing POWERS Sat, 21 June 2003 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
65/220 = 30% yield.

So 30% of vehicles were unroadworthy, with 2% of them being so unroadworthy that they shouldn't even have been on the road. That's far above the average.

Sounds like the cops were doing what they were supposed to. Fighting crime and keeping unsafe vehicles off the road. I see no abuse of power.

Don't want the drama of spending many hours at a road stop? Easy. Don't go to well known hangouts. It's quite simple really. They have a job to do and people who hang out in carparks with illegally modified vehicles provide a constant source of employment for them.
PayneyCelica18rg
Regular

November 2002

Re: POLICE abusing POWERS Sat, 21 June 2003 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You just remember that when you get a notice for a an empty washer bottle, or a blinker out. Do you just choose to miss facts, or do you have no comprehension... and it wasn't a ROAD STOP... the cars were at the time NOT ON A ROAD... it was a CARPARK... so what is next, RADARS in carparks to see if you are doing 10km??? closing the carpark after an event and searching the cars???a "DRAGNET" blocking every house in the state, and searching every car, and not allowing you to leave until you have passed??? come on, who is stupid here.
I don't know why i am justifying myself to you though, you will only see a couple of words and form another opinion which is has no real basis.

I have NEVER complained about being caught for anything. I sped, they got me, I had a welded diff, they got me.

and while i try to never get personal in forums, people who use the line, *pure textbook retort* have never read textbooks.
bozwon
Regular

March 2003
Re: POLICE abusing POWERS Sat, 21 June 2003 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
/enter rant mode

i go crusing every thursday night in nowra and the cops are allways out and do defect/impound cars when people draw attention to themselves by being idiots. and when cars are obliously illeal

my car is legal so i never have any problems and yes my car has been inspected a couple of times (1 time due to my stupidity) and yes it is an inconvienance time wise but put it this way. someone in an unroadworthy car could suffer mechanical problems and loose control and smash someones car or kill someone.

the local cops here are pretty good. for example hardly anyone parks in the spaces like they should. but the cops dont care too much as long as we are not blocking traffic flow they let it go.
noone that i know of has been hit with a ticket due to their sterio or how loud their exhaust is

having said that if you do something stupid (like circle work on the highway) then they will throw the book at you and SO THEY SHOULD.

/exit rant mode

mat
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: POLICE abusing POWERS Sat, 21 June 2003 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If these people look after their cars so well (as opposed to the guys with the rusted up Falcadores), why is the washer bottle empty or a blinker blown? Just like the loose battery holder, it is a reflection of more widespread neglect.

Like I said before, if you don't want the drama of spending many hours at a road stop, don't go to well known hangouts. It's quite simple really. They don't get much sympathy from me really. The cops have a (difficult and thankless) job to do. Keeping unroadworthy cars off the road is one facet of that job.

PayneyCelica18rg
Regular

November 2002

Re: POLICE abusing POWERS Sat, 21 June 2003 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dear Readers,

How often do you wake up, get ready for work, and on the way out, check all your tail lights? or particularly your brake lights? Brake light checking is often a 2 person job, one to press the brakes and another to see the lights. If one brake light isn't working, how quickly do you replace them? The police did fine people for brake lights.

I have tried to make this simple for you. My gripe with the ploice isn't about them checking cars for roadworthyness. It is their method. I should be allowed to meet friends of similar interests, at night, and not be held up. And as i said, they should lock down Pacific Fair Carparks if they really want to get more Illegal cars off the road.

What do you not understand???
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: POLICE abusing POWERS Sat, 21 June 2003 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't understand your inability to comprehend the purpose that the police serve in maintaining law and order in society.

Shock! Horror! That extends beyond catching granny rapists and insider trading scum, even if it is as menial as writing a notice for a blown tail light lamp.

Be grateful you live in a 'free' democracy and not some totalitarian state where you might be pulled in for questioning, tortured and eventually left pushing up daisies in an unmarked mass grave.

They got done. Cop it sweet. Build a bridge. Get over it.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: POLICE abusing POWERS Sat, 21 June 2003 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am very thankful for the police, and my guilty relief when I see a copper when I am not speeding is probably a bad thing.

I understand they have a job to do, and for they job they will cop a lot of crap, but there is a difference between doing the job well, and doing it rudely.

I have experienced both. Never been defected, but in the same way I will complain if I get terrible service or a faulty product anywhere, I will do it when it comes to the honourable job of maintaining order in this awesome country. If something good is done in a bad way, that sux.

I saw an article about this event on the news. I can't judge it, but I know sometimes cops are nice, sometimes they suck. But that is the same with everybody.

If I felt that I had been detained illegally, I would probably go to court. That is my legal right. If I was stuck at Maccas for 2 hours waiting for a cheesburger I would get mad too.

my 1c - don't hurt me...
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: POLICE abusing POWERS Sat, 21 June 2003 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ticketing you for a faulty brake light *is* a bit harsh.. anywhere else and you could pull the "oh really? I hadn't noticed, it worked fine on the weekend!" and they'd let you off.

but since you were in a large group of modified cars, they probably weren't in the mood for in-depth explanations (or it would have taken more than 7 hours), so they just did it as fast as they could and defected everyone (which is their legal right if there is anything wrong)

hate to sound like a dick.. I know I've been lucky a few times when I've been pulled over. no penalty for doing what they termed a "burnout" (it wasn't really, and I would have contested and won an appeal). No penalty for baiting an undercover next to me. didn't do anything illegal, then he turned off and I raced through traffic and into maccas, only to see a hwy patrol behind me. warning about the "you would have been speeding if there was't traffic", warning about the smashed brake light.

but if you're in a well known hoon hangout... well, it's kinda obvious what was eventually going to happen. I don't take my car to them, 'cause I know the risk of getting defected would be large. same as I dont speed down church street in parra, 'cause hoons are there all the time.. and osmetimes cops too

USE COMMON SENSE!
1JZ.747
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: POLICE abusing POWERS Sat, 21 June 2003 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
payneycelica18rg

my friend if you feel violated, come to nsw where that practise happens every third sunday afternoon. i have a friend that lives in the area of that carpark and frequents automotive things such as carparkery, freeway drives, (you know the kind i am talking about) and he tells me that has happended twice in two years there.

it is a part of life, yes they could do it in a better fashion but no one is perfect. and before you start i totally see your point, i have been held for 3 hours before only to be let go with a comment of" glad to see you have done this all properly son, you are one in a hundred".

that is the problem the amount of modified cars that have been done properly and have engineers certificates and the like are few and far between, how often do we all rock up to the legal off street drags and see a car with wheelie cars and a parachute with number plates on them. how do you get a car registered with 15 inch wide rims and a parachute? Shocked that still has me puzzled.

part of life,and will only get worse, change your tactics, go out with a few mates to a different area andmost likely you wont have the problem.

all the best

Smile
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: POLICE abusing POWERS Sat, 21 June 2003 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can rego minitubs (like 15" wide rims) with an engineers cert, as long as you can show your suspension has been modified for it.
parachutes are usually removable ... so yes those cars can be street legal.
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: POLICE abusing POWERS Sat, 21 June 2003 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

title=gianttomato wrote on Sat, 21 June 2003 12:26]insider trading scum

bah everyone does insider trading, it shouldnt even be considered as a crime

toycelica77
Regular

February 2003
Re: POLICE abusing POWERS Sun, 22 June 2003 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PayneyCelica18rg wrote on Sat, 21 June 2003 10:00

here on the Coast, there are many many rusty 180b's, corollas, commos vanged up falcons, owned by people who only drive these smokey rust buckets to work and don't get pulled over...

who's to say that the 'rust buckets' you refer to arent roadworthy??

most of the time modifications that make your vehicle defected are serious enough to actually kill someone, i.e cutting springs, ride height too low, seats that dont meet ADR's and so on...

grow up, dont you realise its the police forces duty to uphold the law, these guys dont write the shit, they're just doing there job, if you dont want to be pulled over and detained for suspected illegal mods why do you hang out with these people?!?

also, its your fault if you do get caught for a defect, its not someone elses job to keep your car in roadworthy condition, its your own!!

/end rant Confused

NO-18r
Regular

May 2003
Re: POLICE abusing POWERS Sun, 22 June 2003 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i must agree with the majoraty, and say it your own, no its not fair that you had to wait 7 hours or what ever, but again its never a good idea to be somewhere that you know so many illegal car will be, its just bound to happen...

Now from another side of things, down here in adelaide police tend to pick on p platers (most likly throughout australia) but its a big problem here, my mate got pulled over a few months back, no he wasnt being a hoon, he was driving his dad somewhere, they pulled him over because they saw p plates, the cops looked over the car and found nothin wrong but he did get pinged for not having his p licence with him

and again, just today i was goin for a sunday drive went down the bay, and down a local street, there was a major defect station, i would have to say about 20-30 police men out and about, and what did i see, 3 commonwhores with p plates get waived in (nothing worng whith them, that you could see) yet and yes i know everyone sais it, a rusty bomb went by and nothing...

i also must admit, they i was coming from the other direction, and when i went past, the cops gave me the dirtiest look ive ver seen... haha im soo lucky...

but i guess this is something we all have to go through, and eventually it will get easier, when people learn thet chopping springs isnt cool, and it is highly dangerious...

yeah well thats all i have to say...

shane
jase
Regular

May 2002
Re: POLICE abusing POWERS Sun, 22 June 2003 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't get the inconsistency of how they decide what's crime and not.

Cops don't misuse power, the state government does.

Think of what they act on. If a 17 year old destroys your house in a robbery he'll get off.....but police act on what they find on cars that could potentially cause damage.

Put it in perspective. Car raids are more frequent than drug busts.

Theres no "double the sentance" for vandalism or antisocial behaviour in holidays.

You don't get a 12 point social behavior licence.

You must where a seatbelt but can't get charged for suicide.

When has a no seatbelt offence been excusable as only for personal use....speeding on an empty straight road is a danger to you?

Traffic offences are just that. Offences not crimes.

They hit traffc offenders hard cause it's easy to, not cause it's right.

It's not the police that are wrong. The entire judicial system is F.

Top rant. I'm feel better now.
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: POLICE abusing POWERS Mon, 23 June 2003 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very well put Jase. I tend to agree with you.
The law is VERY inconsistent, and it is quite hard to find out what is legal or not. I've been pulled over for going "too fast" (I was doing 58km/h in a 60 zone, and knew there was a cop behind me). When I asked how fast I was going, they wouldn't tell me. How is that fair in any way at all ?
I didn't get fined, but got a warning (for what, I really do not know).

There seriously needs to be an overhaul of the traffic laws and enforcement procedures, because as mentioned above, the rust buckets continue to be on the roads, yet the enthusiasts are the ones who get caught for some of the most minor things.
I don't believe that illegally modified cars should get away with it, but there should be better ways of dealing with inconsistent police officers and their actions (ie. something might be legal in the eyes of one officer, and not in another).
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: POLICE abusing POWERS Mon, 23 June 2003 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I agree with u there dude...

Normal police officers are usually the nice ones that let u go on things but then the Highway Patrol officers step in and they are real a**holes... They will pin you for every little detail that they don't like, even if it is legal...

Me and a few mates got pulled up a while ago by 2 normal coppers... They looked over my car and said no worries... And the other two got warning defects for pod filter and guages above dash... That was all then they let us go... Can you imagine what a Highway Patrol officer would've done... Defects galore...
MR PLOW
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: POLICE abusing POWERS Mon, 23 June 2003 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some cops are different in opinion as to what is ok and what is not.
For instance as some would know my trade mark. MR PLOW plates, up to and probly beyond $7k for it court and whatever else i have been warned to by selected few police fair enough it looks real, so yes i don't mind them pulling me over checking it only to find that i have done eerything i can to make it look not real ie. no NSW at the top no rta embelem hologram all over it and the crap on the back, then we would understand and have a chat and be on our ways.
Then as i said there are that selected few that are f..kers.
I find if i get pulled over politly talk to them ask them the problem and just to show that i try to obey the laws ask them if there it anything wlse they can see wrong with my car generally they go don't worry and i get a cya mate or have a good night and am off. so they arn't all bad its about how you appear to them.
whow i am of the topic abit i think.

end
brad
HSV_gal
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: POLICE abusing POWERS Tue, 22 July 2003 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
payneycelica18rg,
I can see where you are comming from and I would have to agree with what everyone else has said.....

Yes the hold up was a shit... But you need to look at the bigger picture...
Take for an eg....
If you are involved in an accident with one of those cars that was classed as unroadworthy,,, but is more than likely that it is not insured too.... Cops as much as the piss us all off at times do have a job to do to.
And I know that you keep saying that they were in a carpark and not on the road..... You will Prolly find that if it was a public carpark then it is legally classed as being onroad.

Just my 2c.
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: POLICE abusing POWERS Wed, 23 July 2003 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Sat, 21 June 2003 12:26

Be grateful you live in a 'free' democracy and not some totalitarian state where you might be pulled in for questioning, tortured and eventually left pushing up daisies in an unmarked mass grave.

Familiar with the (recently passed) ASIO legislation? We're closer than you think...
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: POLICE abusing POWERS Wed, 23 July 2003 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
did that shit get passed?

it sounds like they're giving ASIO the powers the gestapo utilised so effectively a few decades ago.

detaining without charges or evidence?!?! I fail to see how that sort of legal authority belongs in a free country.

biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: POLICE abusing POWERS Wed, 23 July 2003 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Wed, 23 July 2003 16:04

did that shit get passed?

it sounds like they're giving ASIO the powers the gestapo utilised so effectively a few decades ago.

detaining without charges or evidence?!?! I fail to see how that sort of legal authority belongs in a free country.

Yes.
Whilst it was "watered down" from the original bill, it still gives the authorities the power to detain someone indefinitely on "rolling warrants"; if they find information during the period of the first warrant which "leads to further investigation", they can apply for another one and so on. (Similar in practice to what the US do at Guantanamo bay).
Also (and this is important), the onus of proof rests, not with the prosecution, but with the accused. This means that you are, under this legislation, presumed guilty until proven innocent.

That's the last I'll post on this subject here, as this is probably best left for the Outhouse...Apologies for the OT posts...
venzy
Regular

May 2004
Re: POLICE abusing POWERS Thu, 20 May 2004 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wanna reply, even though this is sooo old!

I have a completely stock ae82, and go to broady car park every now and again. If they did this and i was held up from leaving i would be extremely pissed off. Cause my car isnt intentionally modified (yet) so i dont see why i would ahve had to wait for hours to get out of the place when ive done nothing wrong. If in fact i was there, which i wasnt

venzy
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: POLICE abusing POWERS Thu, 20 May 2004 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

cops are wankers Very Happy

well a lot of them

take this scenario for instance

I was driving home and the roads to get to my house where blocked, a girl had been murdered so they had sealed off the place.

So a cop (a nice one) said yeah just go around the backway, I said no worries mate have a good one.

So i putter through the back way doing about 40kmh when i reached the road that was blocked off there where 3 cop cars there and about 8 cops standing there talking i slow down and stop.

For the next part i'll do the cop in bold and me in normal text

so this small fat copper walks up looking high and mighty

"YOU THINK THIS IS A RACE TRACK"

err no im just trying to get home

I HEARD YOU COMING FROM A MILE AWAY

i was doing 40 mate

YOU CALLING ME A LIAR

nah mate

DO YOU WANT A YELLOW STICKER

nah mate

So where are you going?

im trying to get home i live around the corner

WHERE?

Just over there (pointing)

WHAT STREET?

Kimbe Crt

All right then slow down have some respect

ok

now tell me what was i doing to deserve that?
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: POLICE abusing POWERS Thu, 20 May 2004 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like small man syndrome to me, why do you think that guy became a cop in the first place?

I remember reading on boostcrusing quite some time ago, in a thread about a big police bust up at Aspley McDonalds that a policeofficer boasted to one of the members that he could defect a brand new comodoore off the showroom floor if he wanted to.

I'm not anti-police by any means. They have a job to do and you need to look at the big picture sometimes. They have crackdowns like these every so often to stop meetings getting so large, and the inherent problems that arise from having a large group of young testosterone filled males (some of which are intoxicated) with modified cars packed into one small area.

[Updated on: Thu, 20 May 2004 08:48]

venzy
Regular

May 2004
Re: POLICE abusing POWERS Thu, 20 May 2004 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your right...My brother, who is a cop by the way, said that there are some tests they can do on cars that most brand new cars would fail. Something like the "move & shaker" it tests the suspension & brakes, he said most cars fail this....never seen it before though
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: POLICE abusing POWERS Fri, 21 May 2004 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I for one am grateful for the job that police do. Now there might be those occasional idiots but that has only really happened to me once or twice. All the other times they have been nice. They must have the crappest job in the whole world with people like that being smart arses. Give them a break. Be nice to them and they will be nice to you. And if you are nice and they are nasty, they will feel worse about it otherwise. It is not your place to correct the police..
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: POLICE abusing POWERS Fri, 21 May 2004 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
** unzips **
** tells officer to get on there knees **
** fullstop **

ive been caught in one of these raid thingys they do. I was out with my gf one night coming home from a wedding we were followed and asked to pullover. i co-operated and stopped and was approached by the officer. he then told me to follow him and took my front number plate off, i followed and we ended up in a big car park full of officers and rta workers. They checked my car and pulled out all the defects. FAIR ENOUGH i understand.
BUT!!!!!!!
Here is what upset me:
1. The M**th*rF**k*r told my gf to wait outside the carpark on her own with a whole bunch of other pasengers who were asked to wait. she had to wait for more then 2 hrs on her own.

2. They tore my rear seat and i did not even get a simple appology.

3. They threw a filthy sniffer dog in my car when i clearly told them i was alergic to dogs. WHICH I AM!

4. They broke my rear tail light, which was done by a stupid officers batton that was hanging off his belt. I was then defected for that.

5. The whole time as this was happening i was NOT allowed to answer my mobile phone, even when i showed them my gf was calling.

i tried taking this to court but was refused.
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: POLICE abusing POWERS Fri, 21 May 2004 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i fuckin hate cops, plain and simple Mad

never before has a cop ever helped me, done anything for me at all.

i get fines, yelled at, treated like shit by 99% of cops, i fuckin hate them.

now before u start blaming me, whenever i get pulled over i always try and start with the right attitude "good evening officer" or something like that. it usually just gets me "get out of the car right now/ur driving too fucking fast" etc etc

one thing i wanna know is, are cops allowed to swear at u? i always get sweared at by cops, i should pull out my little notetaker or something..

i do have a good story though! one time i was up on eagle on the hill(locals read: not parked in the abadoned servo, i was only on a patch of dirt about 50m up from the hotel), chilling in my ae82 smoking some bongs.
just as i pack the last bong, some cops pass by going uphill. i didnt think they would stop, so i chug down the bong and blow it out, only to see that the cops must have turned around, as now they are pulling onto the dirt!

I quickly passed the bong to my friend and told him to put it between his legs. luckily, it was the last bong in the mull bowl, which i put on the floor, but there was still have an ounce in the glove box!

i jump out of the car, approach the cops, greet nicely and pull out my licence. after getting my details and my passengers details, they say they need to search the car. i tell them 'yeh sure thats fine, ive got nothing to hide' (right now i am shitting my pants, ive got LOTS of experience with cops, but with half an o in the glove i am sweating!!)

when searching the car, the cop finds the mull bowl, but theres no weed in it muhahaha. they dont ask my friend to get out, so they dont see the bong inbetween his legs. one cop grabs my scissors off the dashboard. these scissors are COVERED in weed resin. he asks what i use them for, i say cutting, he looks at me as if not to be smart, so i add 'cutting at school'. he goes ok. he then searches under the floormatts, looking for weed but finds nothing.

after that he is satisfied, hasnt even opened the glovebox!!! Laughing Laughing Twisted Evil

those cops were nice, they didnt persist with the search, i was happy they were happy, a good night had by all.

now i know i should have taken off as soon as i saw the cops, but i didnt (they wouldnt stand a chance of catching me down eagle! Very Happy )

anyways thanks for reading ppl it was prolly boring hahaah
venzy
Regular

May 2004
Re: POLICE abusing POWERS Fri, 21 May 2004 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont hate cops, but these raid things i hear about, i dont like the sound of, never experienced one myself. And, as my bro is a cop, and heaps of his mates r cops, how could i hate them Razz Most are just doing there job, everynow and again u get unlucky and have an asshole pull u over
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: POLICE abusing POWERS Fri, 21 May 2004 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In my view, someone who has a car that isn't 100% safe but knows the limitations of the car and doesn't do stupid shit isn't as dangerous as someone who has a working car buy has absolutely no idea what driving a car means. I'm talking about those people who drive right through stop signs at high speed - turn around to look at the people in the back seat to talk to them while driving - not indicating when changing lanes - breaking late and not leaving enough breaking distance in case of break failure - pulling in front of oncoming traffic with a trailer and just stopping there!!! - driving through a red light, after stopping for it - tailgating - not turning down high beams when behind other cars or facing traffic - driving a damned 4WD and driving so close that the damned headlights shine right into MY GOD DAMNED REAR MIRRORS - Driving a 4WD without ever needing to use the 4WD capacity - merging with traffic without matching speeds, or even checking to see if there is any traffic - And just generally shit driving.

However, I'm sure that some of the people in that parking lot deserved to get booked. Just 'cuz you drive a fast car doesn't make you a good driver, like some people think.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: POLICE abusing POWERS Fri, 28 May 2004 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
/begin rant
This is all bullshit... I too am sick of cops going overboard

I agree that if a car looks sus a cop is oblidged to inspect it, however, massive police defect raids are just a waste of police man power.

PMP-80Y got defected a while back and we new it was coming, however, the time and the place they chose to do it was all bad. And they went stupid on some of the defects too.

It was on the Thurs night before the 4 day easter long weekend meaning that there was no way the defects could be cleared for 4 days... They also defected it for "excess movement in drivers side door hinge" which is the "WORST DEFECT EVER!"

Cops out this way suck... when I was out in windsor cops only pulled you over if you were definately doing something wrong and if it was only a minor offence they were reasonable about it... e.g. doing 85 in an 80 zone results in the cops telling you to take it easy instead of them fining you.
/end rant
Isometric_Bacon
Regular

May 2003
Re: POLICE abusing POWERS Sat, 05 June 2004 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know it seems like we all get the short end of the stick, when some cop smacks us with a defect for something absolutely minor and pointless, but you gotta think, do you really deserve it?

C'mon. We're car enthusiasts. That doesn't mean we only drive our cars on weekends at 50kmh's to the local RSL club. I'm sure you've given a bit of gas here or there, seen how she handles around a turn, and no matter what you might say, it IS dangerous not only to you but other law abiding citizens. (hell, i'm being a hippocrite just saying this, because I do it all the time Evil or Very Mad)

The reason they do this, and mainly target us P platers with hot cars, is because WE are the people most likely to do this, driving dangerously and fast. We're young and stupid, and they know it. Of course some of us may be exceptions to the rule, and drive safely all the time (hahah, yeah right Wink), but we gotta take it up the ass regardless because we are in the minority. Besides, you all seem to be forgetting that we are the people cops have to see all twisted up into a wreck of a car that's being pulled apart with the jaws of life cos some idiot didn't know how to control oversteer.

I've only been pulled over once (get alot of odd looks by the cops though, even though I drive legit through town), and I was just damn lucky that they didn't take my license (I was going 100kmh in a 60 zone, dragging a skyline and they let me off!)

My only advice is to do everything they say. Don't be a smartass, apologize for whatever it is you did, just sound like a dumb suckass. NEVER make yourself seem superior, that just pisses them off. If they want to get you on something, they will. You can't whine and bitch about it. The best thing you can do is just take it up the ass, and just lube the cop up real good so it don't hurt as much, by agreeing with everythin he says and not raising any trouble. If you do that, he'll be less inclined to slap ya hard, and if your lucky like me and he's a good bloke, he'll let you off completely.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: POLICE abusing POWERS Sat, 05 June 2004 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I honestly dont know how you guys have so many bad encounters! I've been pulled over 10 or more times, and only ever got fined once! Now I realise I'm a pretty good sweet talker, but all I ever did was agree, act suprised (I was going that fast?!) and say it was an accident a lot. You'd be suprised for how many common offences "it was an accident" is a legal defence! Best bet is to come across as intelligent, but not too smart.

I can honestly say most cops I've ever dealt with were polite, respectful, and fairly permissive.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: POLICE abusing POWERS Sat, 05 June 2004 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just to add my 2c, i find that if you have a reasonable car (i.e. non riced) in good condition then you are fine with the cops. Like my AE92 (with GZE) hasnt been pulled over once, but maybe thats because its not too low, not too loud, and doesnt doof everywhere. It runs on good tyres, and i keep it all top notch (apart from cleaning the brake dust Very Happy).

As for my track/rally cars that ive owned, ive been pulled over once for speeding on the way to Scrutineering at which point i was promptly told to go and the officer would catch up with me at the Rally meet later in the day. He came but just to spectate. (might have helped that i was in a stripped interior car, with conditional rally rego helmets in the back area and a full racing suit on).

And ive also been pulled over for excessive wheelspin (brand new GZE and 3puck button clutch after rain) and explained that and off i went. Didnt even get a second look for not having a bonnet, bumper or guards. Had lights though.

Then again, the one time i have been fined was in my old rustbucked blown headgasket screwed up POS Telstar. Which they reckon i was doing 160km/h UP a 30* hill leaving Melbourne. I dont reckon i could even do this. But being really tired (6am) i didnt even ask to see the radar. So i copped it sweetly and then got a letter in the mail 3 months later saying that the cop in question had been removed from the force for fraudulent activities.
Which i must assume would mean falsifying speeding fines.

Overall i havnt had a bad time at all with cops, really quite good actually.
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: POLICE abusing POWERS Sun, 06 June 2004 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
takai ur one of the lucky ones

i manage to cop it up the arse everytime... Mad
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: POLICE abusing POWERS Mon, 07 June 2004 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
venzy wrote on Fri, 21 May 2004 00:30

your right...My brother, who is a cop by the way, said that there are some tests they can do on cars that most brand new cars would fail. Something like the "move & shaker" it tests the suspension & brakes, he said most cars fail this....never seen it before though

ive always wondered what form of mechanical training street police actually have.

do they take a mechanical traning course ? what form on training do they actually have to identify genuinly defective vehicles ? or are they juce given the easy to catch list. bald tyres, too low, pod filter, and they just guess the rest ?

to boot id take to bets that just about any brand spanking new car will fail an emissions test. given that the vehicles tested are laboratry tested then trucked to the rta for testing ill punt that your average falcadore off the showroom floor would fail a detailed emissions test.
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: POLICE abusing POWERS Fri, 11 June 2004 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
at the end of the day its discrimination in my view for those with an interest in auto modification as a hobby
dont see such hobbies as stiches and craft being raided for carrying weapons (which is what scissors scaples etc are technically classified as) and held up for hours on end do we now
whys that ?
oh they are supposivelly respected parts of society and non offesnive to the governing and politically powerful
look up the work cult and hey presto lets place most groups we know in comparison to that word and consequently governing groups policies of legislation
grrrrrrrrr shits me that society has lost its ability to decide whats right and wrong like we used to
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: POLICE abusing POWERS Tue, 22 June 2004 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof wrote on Mon, 07 June 2004 19:21

ive always wondered what form of mechanical training street police actually have.

do they take a mechanical traning course ? what form on training do they actually have to identify genuinly defective vehicles ? or are they juce given the easy to catch list. bald tyres, too low, pod filter, and they just guess the rest ?

They have no training, but they do have the power to slap a defect notice on to force you to take it too someone who does...

As for cops, dont be an ass or look dodgy and you will be fine, i havent had any bad experiences yet, only the odd "random" breath test..

Ie: going to work at 1:30am, copper sees P plater out late, they are gonna pull you over, quick rego and breatho test and your off

One time i was lucky, i was pissed off with my old man and i happened to be driving his 351 powered XY UTE, i planted it around a corner got it side ways and didnt see the copper. To quote the copper "You got a bit excited around that corner didnt you?" i just agreed and got let off with a P plate fine

As for the carpark raids, stay away from known hangouts, its simple really, and the enthusiest argument doesnt stand either. you rarely see car club meets boxed in getting inspected, buy a daily driver towcar and a trailor, join a car club and get your cams licence, keep it off the streets

just my $3.50...
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: POLICE abusing POWERS Tue, 22 June 2004 06:56 Go to previous message
fkn double post, stupid forum shit itself for a second

[Updated on: Tue, 22 June 2004 06:57]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:not me
Next Topic:Furntree Gully Road in Victoria