Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
GTMR2
Occasional Poster

May 2002

re: Wolf 3D and 3SGTE Sun, 30 June 2002 07:33 Go to next message
Hi

Is anyone using a Wolf 3D ecu on a 3SGTE motor? If so I would like to know how it is running?
  Send a private message to this user    
jase
Regular

May 2002
re: Wolf 3D and 3SGTE Sun, 30 June 2002 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can't comment on the wolf.

Since completing my intercooler upgrade, (something I'd recommend to anyone)I'm looking for a computer as well.

Link make a full plug in unit. Have seen dyno sheets of factory turbo cars running 150kw at the rear wheels with an exhaust and the link.

The microtech MT-8 has been used on some I've seen also. The new High Performance Imports mag has an article on an mr2 with this computer. Reasonably accurate article too.

I think others on the list have an MT8, maybe they can give an opinion on that computer.

Any aftermarket computer is only as good as it's tuner.
5KinKP60
Regular

June 2002
re: Wolf 3D and 3SGTE Sun, 30 June 2002 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
'jase' is absolutely right here. engine management is only as good as the person who tunes it up!

tuners rarely do a spot on job. it is worthwhile to look into this carefully and take the car to a reputable dyno operator/tuner. his services may cost twice as much as next guy's but will definately be worth every penny.
reputable guy may be able to spot mistakes in engine component selection, or able to tell how to modify them to suit application better.
for example aftermarket 4-2-1 exhaust may be optimised for standard camshaft, whereas the car may be running long duration cams, hence shortening secondary runners will be beneficial for optimising power output.

it doesn't hurt to learn to do the tuning method yourself. naturally this would require one to have a chassis dyno in their own garage.
there are kits out there which will craft up outstandingly realistic hp/torque curves on home pc. you plug in this module in your car, make a few acceleration runs, go home (if you don't have laptop pc), plug module to pc and download real life hp/torque curves.

see more:
http://www.charm.net/~mchaney/roaddyno/index.html

[Updated on: Sun, 30 June 2002 11:06]

TA22-3SGTE
Regular

May 2002
re: Wolf 3D and 3SGTE Sun, 30 June 2002 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haltech is the best value for money , I'm using Haltech on my 3SGTE and putting out 237 KW @ wheels on 17 psi boost , I have also tuned cars which are running wolf 3D , Microtech & early Motech and find it takes a lot more dyno time and still cannot get them as finally tuned as good as if running Haltech , Haltech may in some cases cost more than some of the other types but the extra time spent on the dyno with the other types will outcost the Haltech , Also stay away from any ECU with a handheld type tuner , use laptop PC type as these give a lot more control in tuning .
Haltech has 32 load point tuning where some of the others only have 8 or 16 , the ECU's with less load points are ok for N/A engines but no good for any forcefed engines .

Trevor

[Updated on: Sun, 30 June 2002 13:10]

GTMR2
Occasional Poster

May 2002

re: Wolf 3D and 3SGTE Sun, 30 June 2002 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi TA22-3SGTE

Thanks for your most informative reply I really appreciate it. May I ask how long ago was it that you used the Wolf 3D? Do you know which version it was? Take my honest word for it I am EXTREMELT SURPRISED with the latest features of the Wolf 3D version 4.

I have had full and total access to a couple of other efi systems and found Haltech E6K easy to use with its bargraphs, Autronic good for their autotune feature which I will let you know will be available for the Wolf 3D version 4 soon. MOTEC is by far my favourite just a little to pricey and a bit more difficult to use than most other units.

The new Wolf 3D version 4 has extra features not even noted in the manuals! I have the new version 4 which is laptop controllable in addition to the hand controller supplied with the Wolf 3D version 4.

Yes the Wolf 3D has extra features available via laptop that can not be accessed via the hand controller. I like the handcontroller because it allows easy access to view vac/boost pressures, inlet air temps,adjust the boost electronically, adjust the in-built turbo timer and thousands of other parameters without the need for a dedicated laptop in the vehicle.

The Wolf 3D version 4 could even hook up to the stock ignition system of my 3SGTE without modification(BUT I STILL PREFER MOTEC!). I had an adaptor plug made up where the standard Toyota efi wiring plugs came out of the efi computer and plugged into the wiring loom of the Wolf 3D version 4. I can basically install my Toyota ecu within 5 minutes if I like(I would have to install the air flow meter again though).

regards,

Richard Taranto (not a Wolf salesperson, BUT JUST LOVES HIS WOLF)
TA22-3SGTE
Regular

May 2002
re: Wolf 3D and 3SGTE Sun, 30 June 2002 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GTMR2
The Wolf I tuned was handheld type only I have not used the new type but have heard they are a lot better now , If they have now got at least 32 load points it should be a lot better , I found with less load points on a forced motor , there is not enough control to get very smooth tuning for low speed and cruising speeds or fuel economy , Have to admit if Haltech dont start to move ahead with there systems they will start to lose out as the Haltech E6K is still basicly the same as it was in the early 90's , as you can see Haltech was way ahead of time when they developed there first programable ECU .

Trevor
GTMR2
Occasional Poster

May 2002

re: Wolf 3D and 3SGTE Sun, 30 June 2002 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi TA22-3SGTE

Going through the Wolf 3D version 4 manual...says here that it has 16 load points......interesting.

regards,

Richard Taranto Rolling
GTMR2
Occasional Poster

May 2002

re: Wolf 3D and 3SGTE Sun, 30 June 2002 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi again

I totally agree with TA22-3SGTE that Haltech E6K were ahead of their time. They are probably still better than the Wolf 3D version 4.

regards,

Richard
[mikey]
Regular

May 2002

re: Wolf 3D and 3SGTE Sun, 30 June 2002 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have plans on running an E6K with my 3sgte...it currently makes 150kw @ front wheels with standard jap ecu....but should allow a lot more fine tuning with the E6K...it runs starting dizzy, coil and igniter without a problem, just need a 3bar map sensor. its an awesome computer and functionality/price are unbeatable.
roger
Regular

June 2002
re: Wolf 3D and 3SGTE Tue, 02 July 2002 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[mikey

wrote on Mon, 01 July 2002 2:28 AM]i have plans on running an E6K with my 3sgte just need a 3bar map sensor. its an awesome computer and functionality/price are unbeatable.

If you need a 3 bar map sensor I have 2 going cheap $80 each or will swap 1 3 bar for a 2 bar map sensor

roger
[mikey]
Regular

May 2002

re: Wolf 3D and 3SGTE Thu, 04 July 2002 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
roger,

where in aussie land are you located and whats your email address....im interested in the 3bar sensor....just let me know and we can sort something out....

thanks
michael
roger
Regular

June 2002
re: Wolf 3D and 3SGTE Fri, 05 July 2002 01:06 Go to previous message
Mikey,

I am in melbourne, my email address is prueandrog@bigpond.com give me an email if you are interested.

Roger

[Updated on: Fri, 05 July 2002 01:07]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3t-gteu temperature sender hole size...
Next Topic:Hilux R22 or 22R engine
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Sep 8 02:53:28 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057928562164307 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.