Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Camry help...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
dylusion
Regular

May 2002
icon5.gif  Camry help... Thu, 26 June 2003 11:09 Go to next message
Well as it stands, i am living at home, have a half finished TA22 project. My family has two cars, 89 honda prelude and a 99 V6 camry. The honda is my mums and the camry is dads.. My dad loves to tinker with cars etc (dont think there is any mechanic that wouldnt) but mum wont let him touch her honda. So in between the celica he has decided to turn to the camry. We were fortunate to have the V6 model.. so power was something that could be done further down the line. Since then he has put some new wheels on the camry (modest 16" with some nice width 225 tyres Smile) and some stiffer shocks and lowered springs are on the way. With all this said i was talking to him tonight over dinner and we both agreed to turn to the power, give it what ever sleeper credit is left. We were discussing different setups in terms of turbo's and decided that a twin turbo setup would be most practical due to space in the engine bay. Monifold fabrication is not an issue. As i am not a turbo buff i was wondering if some of you guys could give some suggestions as to what turbo to put on. Basically the engine is finished its rev range at 6 grand. So any turbo/turbo's that spool early and have finished breathing at around the 6 mark would be most benificial. With all that said. Any turbos come to mind?
If we do go with the twin turbo's is a aftermarket engine management going to be necessary? Also intercooling.. or is it safe to run up to 8-10 psi with out a cooler?

If we were to go down the N/A track, what would every one else do? BTW and engine conversion isnt really feasable. so we are looking to work with the current mill.

Cheers.
  Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Camry help... Fri, 27 June 2003 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How about a set of twins from a VG30DETT 300ZX? They would probably be matched to a 3l engine of similar spec...
Volatile
Occasional Poster

October 2002
Re: Camry help... Fri, 27 June 2003 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oo i'll have to follow this one!
make sure you post regular updates on your project, my dad has a 6cyl camry as well and i think he'd LOVE to hear about this Very Happy

i can't remember if ours is a '99 or a '00 touring but it's the same model afaik.... automatic, unfortunately but whacha gonna do... mum decided 20+ years of manual driving was enough Razz
dylusion
Regular

May 2002
Re: Camry help... Fri, 27 June 2003 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I never thought of the twin turb 300zx... that is definatly an idea i always thought they were at the 4 ltr mark tho. will check that out for sure.
Yeah i will kepp things updated... i suppose i might start a thread in the members cars.. post some pics as the conversion goes forward. thanks for that frank. it never even came to mind.
crazy_camry
Regular

April 2003
Re: Camry help... Fri, 27 June 2003 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from what i heard off a guy in Canada, there is limited space in the V6 engine bay, so he went the single turbo route. got to www.toyotanation.com, go to the camry section, and the guy who has done this is "Tony the Tiger". he's putting down big power with a (modified) auto tranny.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Camry help... Fri, 27 June 2003 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats cool, make sure you let us know how you go! And the VG30DETT was definetly a 3l engine. The turbos are quite small as the Nissan's engine bay was quite small too.
Zacky
Occasional Poster

May 2003
Re: Camry help... Fri, 27 June 2003 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try S14 T28's they are relatively cheap and they work well enough on the RB26(different turbo set-up but same size as S14)
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Camry help... Fri, 27 June 2003 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why not get a genuine TRD supercharger ?

Bolts straight on, made by Toyota, can't really go wrong. Just need to ship one in from the USA.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Camry help... Fri, 27 June 2003 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah
300zx bays have no room at all (it takes bloody 15 minutes to change a headlight bulb)
they're not a super revvy engine either, so that sounds like it might be the goods.

do you know how tough the v6 engine is.. like, will it handle 10 psi?
and I'd say a/m engine management might be a good idea
dylusion
Regular

May 2002
Re: Camry help... Sun, 29 June 2003 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Soarer wrote on Fri, 27 June 2003 18:39

Why not get a genuine TRD supercharger ?

Bolts straight on, made by Toyota, can't really go wrong. Just need to ship one in from the USA.

Was unaware that TRD made a supercharger for the old camry... Very Happy definatly an option. Any idea what sort of boost it runs?

AS for the camry engine, 1MZ-FE is pretty tough.. i have had a chat to some of the bloke at dads work (coffs harbour toyota - workshop) and they all said that it is a relatively bullet proof engine and would handle some boosting.. as to how much i am not to sure.

I really want to know some more about this s/c that TRD make for the camry..
turbocamry
Regular

June 2003

Re: Camry help... Sun, 29 June 2003 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GO THE CAMRYS THATS THE WAY Evil or Very Mad
dylusion
Regular

May 2002
Re: Camry help... Sun, 29 June 2003 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe.. i was waiting for that turbocamry Smile

Well i found it.. abit on the pricey side.. at over 6 grand i think.... it says in the description it produces 4psi.. dont know about you.. but it looks sexy.
http://www.trdextreme.com/PartDetail.asp?S=0&P artID=83023

But i think for that sort of money i would be able to do a turbo conversion... not to sure.. what do you all reckon?
turbocamry
Regular

June 2003

Re: Camry help... Sun, 29 June 2003 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
man thats is very sexy
turbocamry
Regular

June 2003

Re: Camry help... Sun, 29 June 2003 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.wholesalehyperformance.com/kits1-main.h tml
check out this sight for body kits nice

[Updated on: Sun, 29 June 2003 14:05]

crazy_camry
Regular

April 2003
Re: Camry help... Mon, 30 June 2003 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a little while ago on this forum i beleive they were talking of fitting one of those TRD/Kazuma s/c kits, but would not fit on aussie cars because of the steering setup (RHD as opposed to US's LHD). perhaps it was over on www.performanceforums.com i can't recall.
CamryMan
Regular

May 2002
Re: Camry help... Mon, 30 June 2003 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes the TRD supercharger won't fit the Aussie Camry. Your best bet is a custom job. Being MAP sensored, you will probably need a computer as well. Lots of headaches.

I'd personally sell the Camry and get some kind of JZX Chaser. It'll probably cost just as much turboing and tuning a 1MZ, but you'll have a better engine in the 1JZ-GTE. It's also RWD so no FWD torque steer problems and the gearbox is made for the power.

[Updated on: Mon, 30 June 2003 07:40]

dylusion
Regular

May 2002
Re: Camry help... Wed, 02 July 2003 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Turbocamry: those body kits look a bit alright Very Happy

that is a bugger about the supercharger... but i think for 6 grand i would be able to buy parts for a custom turbo conversion. Obviously we would be fabricating our own plumbing.
Other than the turbo, intercooler, bigger fuel pump, bigger injectors, new computer with new maps. are there any other parts that i will need? Will i have to upgrade the fuel lines?
CamryMan
Regular

May 2002
Re: Camry help... Wed, 02 July 2003 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You might want to post at www.camryman.org/frframe.htm and ask the 1MZ supercharged guys about transmission and how much they are boosting.

I know that guys doing 3S-GTE conversions with Camry V6 boxes blow them up. I'm not too sure how much power the boxes can take.

Also you will probably need to factor in dyno time, and lots of it.
dylusion
Regular

May 2002
Re: Camry help... Wed, 02 July 2003 22:32 Go to previous message
Cheers mate. all help/information is muchly appreciated.

After reading around on www.toyotanation.com mainly taking notice to tony the tigers post. He was able to run 10psi boost into his 1MZ and only apon upgrading his injectors to 550cc items and running a supra fuel map did he start having transmisson/driveline issues. Altho with out the injectors and map he was running a little on the lean side so to speak Confused

[Updated on: Wed, 02 July 2003 22:35]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:where can i get my cluster re-calibrated
Next Topic:MR2 Box
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 23:50:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0072879791259766 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.