Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Track Talk » You know youre a bad drifter when...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
You know youre a bad drifter when... Fri, 27 June 2003 06:58 Go to next message
You know youre a bad drifter when you find yourself driving along a 1km long, dead straight, piece of 3 lane wide dirt road @ 80kmh, and you still manage to get clean out of control, and come to a standstill in the deep rough, perched awkwardly on a pile of dirt with a small tree trapped under the car...
  Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: You know youre a bad drifter when... Fri, 27 June 2003 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice one Eddie Very Happy
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: You know youre a bad drifter when... Fri, 27 June 2003 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehehe...

i had to manually dig the front end out of the rubble, and i got my pinkslip no less than 20 mins later with bits of tree still stuck under the FL suspension arm Rolling Eyes

shouldve seen the slide though Very Happy i deliberately snapped the rear end out, planted it, and tried to hold it square to the road as long as possible. but then just lost it and went off into the trees...

managed to grind to a halt about 50cm from a big ass gum tree...

front spoiler copped a bit of damage, but it popped back out ok. everything else was 'ok' ... fingers crossed

torque
Regular

May 2003
icon14.gif  Re: You know youre a bad drifter when... Fri, 27 June 2003 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's great to see someone that can admit their own mistakes, and take the piss out of themselves!!

nice work man!

reminds me of my first dirt experience at 17, tx gemini (don't bag me for it!), prob all of about 80hp.. trying to show my mate that I am in fact a rally driver..straight road, drop it .. left, right, leeeft, riiight, leeeeeeft , riiiiiiight into a (small) ditch.. had to get my mate to jump up and down in the boot to get traction to get out.
1st lesson - remember to back off!!
hehehe
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: You know youre a bad drifter when... Fri, 27 June 2003 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
torque wrote on Fri, 27 June 2003 20:55

1st lesson - remember to back off!!
hehehe

i love that bit in an 'out of control slide' where you're trying to pick the moment where coming off the gas would be a good idea Very Happy.

one thing i didnt try today was the hand brake. its possible it may have had some effect of bringing the tail back around, but ive been in plenty of slides like this before, and i suspect it wouldnt have done much. once you get to a point, you might as well let go of everything, and just enjoy the ride.
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: You know youre a bad drifter when... Sat, 28 June 2003 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the best thing to do when youve had a serious dose of oversteer is ...

if the roads wide enough let go of the steering wheel at a point where you think the direction of the rear (in rwd) tyres is the direction of the road till it stops flailing around ( best to let the go pedal up as well Smile ) the biggest problem is people keep trying to correct the slide (its a natural reaction that is hard to break) but if you let go of the wheel the car will actually correct itself ( not recommended at speeds over 80Kmh!!)

the other thing to do is to simply stop accelerating, of course the problem is that the outcome largely depends on when in the slide you let the accelerator go and what control you have ( eg Ed's adventure in the trees Smile )
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: You know youre a bad drifter when... Sat, 28 June 2003 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
problem is: there was never a point where i was even close to parallel to the road direction Rolling Eyes

i initially gently (not sliding) sent the car to the right, diagonally across the road, when i got to the far right hand side of the road (doing about 70), i sharply flicked the wheel back left, and stomped on it.

this, got the rear end right out (as youd imagine)... i quickly countersteered back to the righ, and the car was essentially 90 degrees to the road for maybe 50-60m. this was maintained with full throttle...

problem was, i backed off the throttle, and the car didnt straighten up Sad

so: she continued at 90 to the road, but instead of travelling stright down the road, she wandered off to the left, clean off the road, and into the above mentioned trees.

somewhere in there i backed off the throttle, and it was too late. braking did virtually zero, and the car was just planing sideways. i had 'some' steering 'influence' with the wheel and brakes, but not much...

but, i know what you mean when youre simply sliding in oversteer around a corner, thats easy!! Very Happy

cheers
ed
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: You know youre a bad drifter when... Sat, 28 June 2003 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was actually there and took some video of Ed doing some straight line drifting.

More crazy Edand some more.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: You know youre a bad drifter when... Sat, 28 June 2003 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fuckin nutter...

but watching those over and over again - i think i picked up a tip for future: must nail the throttle, and set the rears spinning, EARLY into the tail-flick routine (not towards the end). that way, you can better balance the new 'forward thrust' of the car's traction with its initial momentum vector - keeping the car's trajectory straighter, longer, before begining to creep forwards....

and into the trees....

[Updated on: Sat, 28 June 2003 15:34]

IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: You know youre a bad drifter when... Sun, 29 June 2003 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
urmm that links not working, but you do get this nice message....

Index of /have fun uploading all ur shit again fucknut - anonymous p.s your an ugly mother fucker

someone you know telling you they love you ed? Smile
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: You know youre a bad drifter when... Sun, 29 June 2003 12:42 Go to previous message
IRA11Y wrote on Sun, 29 June 2003 20:15

Index of /have fun uploading all ur shit again fucknut - anonymous p.s your an ugly mother fucker

Really? Er, the link was working yesterday. Vids of those crazy Middle Eastern suicide handbrakers, that's all.

Apologies! Confused
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1ggte celica Vs neighbours cat!
Next Topic:Tail Gating (again)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Sep 29 10:23:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049369335174561 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.