Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 18rg into an st141 corona - legal issues??!?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SlatemazZ
Occasional Poster

June 2002
18rg into an st141 corona - legal issues??!? Sat, 05 July 2003 08:45 Go to next message
hi,

i now have an st141 '84 corona sedan with a newly rebuilt 18rg motor in place of the old 2s-c engine. I have managed to do this using an ra40 cross member and a couple brackets welded to it supporting the power steering rack and pump (it's a deluxe corona - power steering, all wheel disc brakes etc - but not the avante edition). my question is this; has anyone done this setup before as i need to get this approved (need the blue mod plate). i have spoken to a guy about the emissions crap and he says its incompatible with my car?! something to do with the engine being a '77 (i think) and my car being an '84 model. can someone help me here? also, the closest engineer to speak to about what i've done to the cross member and such is about 400km away! is there an alternative to what i can do to get this car legal?!

any help would be appreciated,

jarrod.
  Send a private message to this user    
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 18rg into an st141 corona - legal issues??!? Sat, 05 July 2003 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that sucks man. Im pretty sure you cannot legaly have an engine that is older than the car. You may be able to get it engineered but i dunno for sure.

If you cant. you have a buyer for your rebuilt 18RG Very Happy. out of interest how much was the complete rebuild?

Daniel.
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 18rg into an st141 corona - legal issues??!? Sat, 05 July 2003 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not sure about qld, but in vic that would be a perfectly legal modification based on http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrne/vrninte.nsf/al ldocs/DFEC6AD39A3C42E0CA256BE4002374EB?OpenDocumen t&Area=[Road+safety+hidden+documents]

See if theres an qld equivilant of this site, might help you out.
I would say its possible because the 18r-geu did come out on some of teh early 80's coronas but it can't help to double check
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 18rg into an st141 corona - legal issues??!? Sat, 05 July 2003 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep
cant legally have an engine older than the car in sydney (though if it passes the new emissions laws, I really dont see the problem). If you can find a nice/stupid engineer, you might be able to convince him that the engine was built till the early 80s, and your corona came out in the early 80s
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 18rg into an st141 corona - legal issues??!? Sat, 05 July 2003 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seems like you can get it legal then, i was under the impression that the engine couldnt be older than the body. you should be right if it has efi. im sure japanese emssion standardsare much stricter than in oz.

Daniel
Steve M
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 18rg into an st141 corona - legal issues??!? Sat, 05 July 2003 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In SA, if you have a car that is 1984 or newer you aren't allowed to put in an engine that is older that july 1976.

Does this sound similar?

this is because prior to 1976 the emissions regulations were bugger all, and after 1984 they were a lot stricter than after 1976. Make sense?

That really sucks though, it is one of those things where you just wish someone could have told you earlier.eh?
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 18rg into an st141 corona - legal issues??!? Sat, 05 July 2003 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Easy fix, but it will cost you more dollars.

LPG absolves you of the need to run emissions. Pick up an 18RGE injection manifold as this will greatly facilitate the LPG conversion. You can get these nifty little tanks that fit in the spare wheel well, or you could put the LPG tank where the fuel tank is (seeing as you won't need that anymore).

I doubt you will be able to do the dual fuel thing.

Of course, before embarking upon this, talk to the local authorities in your state just to make sure it is OK.
SlatemazZ
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: 18rg into an st141 corona - legal issues??!? Sat, 05 July 2003 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah the guy suggested lpg but think about all the money to get that going and also the loss of power!?! not for me

what engines are legal for the st141 coronas? (what about the 1g-gte - i've seen one of these in a corona wgn somewhere)

munki, i haven't recieved the bill yet but i'm sure its around $2000 for the rebuild. some specs for the engine are:

9.7:1 compression, 20 thou o/s (the original 18rg block)
longer duration cams
double valve springs
ported and polished head and intake manifold (88270 head)
twin 40DCOE webers with ramflo filters
lightened flywheel
heavy duty clutch plate
5-speed gearbox with short-shift stick
4-2-1 extractors
all new gaskets

i wouldn't sell for less than $3000, i know this sounds a lot but i know these engines are getting harder to find and with one in this condition...

i have 2 other 18rgu's sitting around the place if you're interested in rebuilding them.

jarrod.
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 18rg into an st141 corona - legal issues??!? Sun, 06 July 2003 00:26 Go to previous message
yeah i understand, i just being slack Wink. I will contact you about those 18RG's if i cant find one closer to home in the next couple of weeks.

Daniel
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Custom rotor hats
Next Topic:22r wireing for 18rg
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 01:50:16 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052371025085449 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.