Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
icon5.gif  Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Wed, 09 July 2003 14:03 Go to next message
Hi all.
I need the good oil from those who have done this mod.
How do you convert a Hilux rear axle (G series diff / 10 inch drum brakes) to run disk brakes ?
I have the axle and some Corona 2 spot calipers to play with, but no good idea on how to do this mod. What is the hot and skinny lads ? How, what, who, when and why ? Thanks in advance.
Mitch
RA23
Perth, WA.
PS: I have seen the US site of Sky Engineering and the custom caliper bracket to suit chev rear disks, but really want something with more of a local and Toyota flavour.
  Send a private message to this user    
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Wed, 09 July 2003 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My solution, but by no means the only:
http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/loats/technical/mx23 /hiluxdiff.html
I chose to run internal drum handbrakes, but you could reduce the degree of difficulty by using integral handbrake calipers. There was some discussion here a while ago about using Sigma rotors and calipers.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Wed, 09 July 2003 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I found that informational really good, but if you are going for a 4 stud pattern would that make it much harder?

Cheers
Joel
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Wed, 09 July 2003 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joel, if you were after a 4 stud, you'd have to restud the axles as well. I'm not sure who does it and how much that would cost, but I'm certain some of the guys here will know for sure.
The other issue would be finding discs to suit. You could:

1. redrill discs (I'm led to believe this is frowned upon by engineers),
  2. find a disc with right stud pattern AND 190mm internal drum handbrake (I haven't looked so I don't know what's out there - sorry! DBA Steve on PF might be able to help you),
  3. obtain blank discs and drill them to suit your PCD (fine if it's a high turnover item like a Falcon or Magna rotor, but you'll be waiting an eternity for something like an MA70 rear rotor!), or
  4. buy a 190mm handbrake bell from Harrops and set up a 2 piece rear rotor (incredibly expensive!).
ddeane
Regular

June 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Thu, 10 July 2003 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gidday

This may be a bit of a long shot- but you may find that RT141 discs will bolt up - see the tech article that I wrote last yearon this conversion to a Celica ta/ra and that I have performed to a F series mark 2 corona diff.

You can use VL dunnydoor V8 or Turbo rear rotors (about $45 ea, to provide the 5 stud - maybe it will all hang together.

Craig
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Mon, 21 July 2003 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dave,
Thanks for this info, it is excellent. Sorry for not replying before now, I have been on leave for 2 weeks, and this list account is on the work PC. Based on what you have done, do you think an MA61 disk brake rear end would be as easily adaptable to
a G series axle ? (Seeing as how you used MA70 hub carriers and JZA80 rotors ).
Last request from me, is it too much trouble to ask for a couple of digi photo's of this set-up please, one from front on and the
other from 45 degrees, looking into the hub/axle attachment arrangement ?
Many thanks.
Cheers,
Mitch.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Mon, 21 July 2003 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Craig,
Thanks for your info as well.
I will look around for a RT141 rear end and see how that goes.
Cheers,
Mitch.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Mon, 21 July 2003 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mitch, I'm not really sure. The main problem is adapting a backing plate.
The Hilux diff has a very large external bearing carrier - have a look and you'll see what I mean. It's about 95 mm in diameter - there are very few backing plates with internal drum handbrakes that will fit without fouling on this.

Can shoot you a small zip file of pics, but I'll need your email.
At work at the moment so you won't get it till tomorrow.
Cheers.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Mon, 21 July 2003 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heh joel.. it'd look pretty funny... 307mm rotors on the back with smaller rotors on the front..

best off doing as suggested and use a intergral handbrake in the caliper. something like the r31 skyline calipers.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Mon, 21 July 2003 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dave,

The backing plate problem is the biggest one that I can see I will have the most trouble with. I have two RA25 axles at home, one will stay with drums and get a 4.3 LSD bolted in for my RA23 & 1G-GZE conversion, to get running on the road; while the other axle is the 'experimental model'. That is the one I will play with and convert to rear disks. I had a long look at a MX73 rear end last week and it looks close to fitting as well.

Just to summarise, you did a RN41 G series axle with MA70 rear hub carriers/backing plates, JZA80 rotors and ST205 calipers ?

My e-mail is mitch.templar@mainroads.wa.gov.au and those pics would be great anytime you can get them to me.

Thanks again for all your help.
Cheers,
Mitch.
trent_kershaw
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Mon, 21 July 2003 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugman wrote on Mon, 21 July 2003 11:03

heh joel.. it'd look pretty funny... 307mm rotors on the back with smaller rotors on the front..

best off doing as suggested and use a intergral handbrake in the caliper. something like the r31 skyline calipers.

I'm pretty sure soarers have larger rear rotors
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Mon, 21 July 2003 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RN41 G series rear end, MA70 backing plates, JZA80 rotors and ST205 calipers. I just wanted big rotors and some 2 spots on the rear hence that combo.

To save money, you could run MA70 backing plates, rotors (291 mm vented) and calipers (single pot sliding caliper). A complete rear hub assembly goes for about $75-80 over here.

The easiest option is still the integral handbrake caliper. Then you don't even have to worry about backing plates - just the caliper bracket.

EDIT: One last thing...just make sure the width of the diff is right. RN41 ia 1410mm across from wheel monting face to wheel mounting face. RN27 is 1370mm. Make sure you pick the right diff for your application.

[Updated on: Mon, 21 July 2003 04:02]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Mon, 21 July 2003 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I vaguely remember my RA23 rear end was 1360mm across last time I measured it, so it sounds like the RN27 is the go. Smile

GT: I'm thinking about putting a MkII diff in my RA23 as a Hilux diff is probably overkill. What's the width of a stock MkII diff? Don't say 1410mm!
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Mon, 21 July 2003 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Er...it's 1410mm? I shouldn't have said that should I..... Confused
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Mon, 21 July 2003 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bah! Now you've done it.

Time to measure the guards and see how much clearance I've got. Smile
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Mon, 21 July 2003 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a really big slide hammer....... Laughing
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 22 July 2003 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GT and Norbie,
No way could I get MA70 complete rear hub assembly's in Perth for $80 (each), more likely 3 times that amount. I'm going to see how compatible MA61 units are before I make a decision on which way to go. Still, a MA70 complete units sounds good....
Not keen on integral handbrake calipers, but I will keep that idea in mind.
I measured my RA23 axle at 1365mm, and my RN25/27 axles at 1370mm too, so that was the way I went. The one MkII I found did measure about 1410mm too. Abandoned that idea when if become vitually impossible to find F series LSD's firstly, and then in any sort of ratio I could live with.
Was pleasantly surprised when I bolted a G series 4.3 LSD from a late 80's SR5 Hilux into the RN25 axle, and found that it all bolted up spot on. I was expecting to have to machine up to 5mm off the end of each axle spline. I don't have verniers and did not bother to try and measure the old 4.9 open centre G series against the LSD unti, but they seem to be close to identical in width.
Go easy on the slide hammer, I will wince everytime I hear you hitting the panel work ! I'm trying to import from Canada a full set of fibreglass fender flares (to suit a RA21) so that I can make a mould of each and sell flares for a good price, especially for those people that want to do a LSD rear end but can't/don't want to cut down axles and housings to retain the original track. But this is a long term project, and won't crank up before Xmas this year.
Cheers,
Mitch.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 22 July 2003 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does the Mark II diff take the same centers as the Hilux diff?
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 22 July 2003 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Tue, 22 July 2003 13:00

Does the Mark II diff take the same centers as the Hilux diff?

No.
Mk2 diff is F series, Hilux is G series.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 22 July 2003 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok thanks.

Still trying to decide on a diff for my 22. I know the hilux diff is a large heavy bastard of a thing, but I also know it will handle the power I'm after. Confused

Meh, fat heavy things ain't that bad Rolling Eyes
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 22 July 2003 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah mate im in the same position as you..

I am building a hilux rear end for my 28 but dunno, always concerned about the weight of the thing.

I guess i'll finish it off, put it in and if i'm not happy with it im sure someone out there will want it!

What other options are there for a strong, but light diff? Don't really want to keep adding more and more unsprung weight.

I saw a RA28 with a S13 LSD rear end.. Already had disc brakes. Anyone know how strong these are? I know there are some tough S13s out there, wonder if the stock diffs are holding up.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 22 July 2003 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona Mk2 F series rear end complete weighed 55kg on the bathroom scales.
The Hilux rear end felt a reasonable amount heavier when I tried to lift it - maybe around 70kg (stupid me never weighed mine). Has anyone weighed one?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 22 July 2003 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What are you waiting for?? Pull it out and get it on the scales Mad
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 22 July 2003 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll weigh mine tonight. Drums are still on it.

Probably put my back out doing it.. Oh well worth it I suppose!

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 22 July 2003 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboRA28 wrote on Tue, 22 July 2003 15:54

I'll weigh mine tonight. Drums are still on it.

Probably put my back out doing it.. Oh well worth it I suppose!

Good work mate. I'll buy you a beer when I seeya next Rolling Eyes
hiaaa
Regular

May 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 22 July 2003 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did one using Skyline rear disc and calipers, There're some welding & machineing job done to the hub to line up the disc rotor (and restud) because the Hilux hub center is 58mm and the Skyline disc is 59mm.
http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~turbo86/photo/hilux_disc_brake.jpg
I had weight the Hilux housing(no mount) before and it is same as a Sprinter one(with mounts). But the LSD center is bloody heavy... Mad If you can get rid of the drum and backing plate (go disc brake) would help keep the weight down as they are heavy!

Leon
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 22 July 2003 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I just weighed a complete 1370mm hilux diff with drums.

No oil, all mounts intact and still with the stock open center in it.

Came in just under 80kg. I dont know the stock weight of the RA28 diff, but I could carry this alright on my own. I had to get someone else to help me lift the hilux diff up off the ground.

Whats everyone think? 80kg going to make the handling of the car shit? Is it worth investigating other ideas such as Nissan rear ends?

Or is this a reasonable weight?

I can imagine with the drums removed a fair amount of weight would be sheded, but still going to be re-added with calipers, discs etc.

Cheers
Joel
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 22 July 2003 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm 25kg more than the F series.. which means the standard T series in the RAs probably were 30 + kg lighter as they were smaller than the T series. I dunno if I like the idea of 30kg + to unsprung weight.
Yeeehah
Regular

May 2002
icon5.gif  Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 22 July 2003 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hiaa,

Sorry for hijacking this post slightly, but a friend is currently doing a hilux diff conversion on my sprinter. I now have to find calipers/rotors to suit.

Which model skyline calipers/disc did you use??
Also, what's the diameter of the skyline disc?

cheers
Ash
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 22 July 2003 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboRA28 wrote on Tue, 22 July 2003 20:45

Hmm 25kg more than the F series.. which means the standard T series in the RAs probably were 30 + kg lighter as they were smaller than the T series. I dunno if I like the idea of 30kg + to unsprung weight.

But what else can you do?
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 22 July 2003 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Has anyone heard about a Skyline rear end? Cannot remember the details but thought i heard about it somewhere.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 22 July 2003 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This probably isn't viable due to cost...

But what about getting a T series LSD centre and some nice strong custom made axles? Are we talking big bucks for this though?

Would mean not needing to change the width or housing/mounts etc.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 22 July 2003 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know a guy here in Queensland that made custom axles and fitted an LSD center to a TA22 diff.
I might have to ring this guy again.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 22 July 2003 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can you keep me updated on your findings mate?

Thanks
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 22 July 2003 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here is something I read once and made a copy of :

"I know us Australians like to swap bits around and do it for cheap, but it
may be better to follow the Americans and Japanese with this LSD thing.

The TRD and KAAZ brand LSD units are still avaliable for the T series diff.
They are both 4 pinion diffs with clutch plates. The TRD one has a cast or
forged carrier. The KAAZ one has a machined carrier with 6 larger plates
for longer life. I herd the KAAZ one will be discontinued soon, but is
still avaliable.

What you get is the carrier, diff and LSD unit only. They do not come with
a crown wheel or pinion, so ratio is not relivent. They are to be bolted in
your own center housing. They are both avaliable as either 1.5 way or 2
way. I will get 2 way as I am now used to a locker.

The item you order will be for a early AE86 Apex GT. (24.06mm axles) This
item fits the RA23 diff, but you need to shorten the axles by 5mm on either
side as the LSD takes more room. (easy)

Both are avaliable from Stewart Wilkings Rally in Sydney (02) 4577 2400.
The KAAZ is in stock in their Melbourne warehouse. About $1870.

Toyota dealers in Australia can get the TRD item, ex Japan for $2981.35
(rediculus price)

Best prices can be found searching the internet from USA or NZ sites.
US$800 = AUD$1426. But remember import tax.

"
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 22 July 2003 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
At those prices you could handle the extra weight of the hilux diff.

Mate i'll try and find the phone number for this guy I know and have a chat to him.
I'll let you know.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 22 July 2003 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MX83 Cressida IRS (rear uprights) are apparently the same as MA70 and dont attract SUPRA prices, you could possably use UZZ30/1 rear uprights aswell.

I took my hi-lux diff, rear uprights and new wheel baring kits to a engineer mate and got the whole lot done with caliper brackets for $550 includes pressing on and off all the crap and new wheel barings!

As for geting a T series LSD I would not bother the ring gear and pinion is just as crappy as the center!

Much rather 80KG's I never have to open again as long as I live then 60KG's that shits it self once a year not to mention hilux axles are 50cent coin size T series are $1 size!!!

And also for those going 1g-gte runing ma70 rears (same as GA70) also runing the front cut brakes will allow you so tell your engineer that the driveline is compleately the same specs as the donor car.. easy for him and bigger brakes = more fun for you!

P.S the drum brake T series handbrake cable fits the MA70 rear backing plates! no handbrake mods required!

Hi-Lux diff has too many positives to ignore!

Allan
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 22 July 2003 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Finished product: MA70 backing plate, JZA80 rear rotor, ST205 rear caliper, Corona Mk2 handbrake cable:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/gianttomato/Toyota%20Power%20/rotor%20and%20caliper.jpg

And now from below and behind:
http://members.optusnet.com.au/gianttomato/Toyota%20Power%20/rear%20caliper%20back.jpg

You can see the backing plate. The dust cover was removed as it interfered with the larger rotors. In between the shock absorber and the caliper, you can see a portion of the caliper bracket - a small washer is welded on to the plate to set the offset of the caliper. It mounts to back surface of the axle flange with 2 bolts that also hold the bearing carrier.

[Updated on: Tue, 22 July 2003 13:45]

gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 22 July 2003 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joel, the Skyline diffs are recommended by the diff conversion people because they have the same stud pattern as the celica, hace discs standard and some have LSD standard (Silhouette I think). The problem is that they are a lot wider than the celica diff. They are also a Borg Warner diff and a few people here have opinions on that, I won't make a judgement on that though, cos I have always had problems with Toyota T series diffs and never had a problem with a Borg Warner diff.

The celica is not a heavy car, so unsprung weight is an issue but you have to look at in relation to the weight of the car. The reason why unsprung weight is an issue is because ultimatly the suspension is there to control the wheel movement. As you can understand, if your unsprung weight (wheels axles etc) is very light compared to the vehicle sprung weight (the rest of the car) then the suspension will not have any problems keeping the tyres firmly planted on the ground. However if the unsprung weight gets heavy enough to become a significant proportion of the car, there will not be enough sprung inertia/weight to control the wheels.

If the Hilux diff is an extra 30kg for a vehicle with a driving sprung weight of 1000kg, you will be increasing the sprung:unsprung ratio by 3%. Not a huge difference, however you will be increasing the unsprung weight by maybe 30%, therefore the springs and shocks will have a little trouble keeping up.

Just for interest, The RA28/RA29 GT's came with an F series live axle, shame we didn't get them here. As for strength, the T series gear set and axles aren't really up to the kind of power you want to put through them, so I wouldn't waste your money on an LSD for one. Norbies F series on on the other hand seems to be taking a fair punishing.......not bad for a 20 year old diff.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 22 July 2003 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Anthony for that.
I guess I just want to be smart about upgrades I do on the car. Lately I seem to be doing everything twice, first go not happy with results so have to do it again correctly. This ultimately is throwing money down the drain. Figure it's better to put some more time into research and make more educated choices when upgrading.

Hence the diff... I've started building the Hilux, but as the Celica's handling is already pretty average. I don't want to send it downhill anymore with adding 30%(or there abouts) more unsprung weight.

Maybe need to investigate F series more again. I originally was doing this but was having troubles finding LSD centres for them. Plus the fact it seems they have to be shortened.

Anyway seems this thread is becoming a good discussion of ideas/problems/etc...

Keep it going..

Many thanks all,
Joel
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 22 July 2003 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
F series LSD centres are easy to find! Or do you mean second-hand?
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 22 July 2003 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah it was second hand I was searching for.

How much do they go for new? I'm guessing between $1000 - $1500?
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Tue, 22 July 2003 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here is another bit of information I kept from somewhere.. Credit goes to whoever wrote it originally! Not me...

"If the early Liteace/Townace, which have E series
diffs, and a track of 1345mm, which is very close to the 1310mm of
the RA23, can fit the LSD internals of an F series diff, crown
wheel being 0.4 inch (10mm) bigger, you could, in theory at least,
get an E series axle, gut the diff, fit an F series lsd to it,
transfer your RA23/24/28/29 mounting points to the E axle, and bolt the
whole lot under your rear without having to shorten the axle
housing or cut down axles shafts.
(The standard rear wheels on a RA are recessed well inside the wheel arches).
This gives you an LSD with drums, but if a disc arrangement could
be grafted on as well, I reckon the disc's could be fitted in such
a way that the track is reduced, and hey presto !"

What does everyone think about fitting the F series in the E series housing?
ddeane
Regular

June 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Wed, 23 July 2003 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joel,

I am using a Mk2 diff in my car(XA23). Face to face it is some 60mm wider than the T series that it replaces, however I have also used XT130 struts and hubs at the from and as a result the front track is also 60-70mm wider. This opened the world up on rims that I could use as I can now use 30mm offset late model wheels. With the car lowered 32mm I have not encountered any scrapping.

For further information the rear discs off the RT141/2 are the same as you find on VLs (V8 and turbo), Australian Skylines also have the same brakes as do the 2 door Sigmas (whatever they are called)

That leads on the the diffs out of the Skylines and the Sigmas. They are BW and I understand the diff width is in the ball park. The 2 door sigmas have a LSD (2 pinion) and the Skyline Silhouette has a 4 pinion LSD.

As to the finding centres for the F series diffs. The diff on a Supra (Mk 2) is a f series, and while it cannot be directly inserted into a live axle the Hemisphere can be built into the f series centre of your choice - Mr 2 Corona, hilux etc. Also note the f series axles are aome 8mm bigger than those in the t series diff.

Craig
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Wed, 23 July 2003 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are planning on investigating the E series, Cressidas up to the MX62 are E series too. No idea on their width.

The bit I don't like in there is the "in theory". Sounds like the author hasn't actually done it. I think I'd pick their brain a bit more.

Converting to discs is likely to be a no brainer. Some of those later Coronas have backing plates with caliper mounting points on them. Wouldn't be too hard to modify to fit.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Wed, 23 July 2003 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not that I have ever paid much attention to the Liteace/Townace diffs, but aren't they a floating hub???

RT141/2 are a Borg Warner diff and the earlier corona's had T series diffs except for the Mk2
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Wed, 23 July 2003 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have been speaking to a few people today and last night who are using hilux diffs in their cars, none of these people have experienced any trouble with handling.
If you were going circuit racing the extra weight would possibly become an issue but for on the street and strip it doesn't seem to be a problem.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Wed, 23 July 2003 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Mon, 21 July 2003 12:54

RN41 ia 1410mm across from wheel monting face to wheel mounting face.

Is this measured on the outside of the drum?

I just measured my front track earlier and it came up very close to 1395mm from hub face to hub face.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Wed, 23 July 2003 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"handling" is a word that is often bragged about and rarely understood. Simple Physics of inertia will tell you that if you have two masses attached by a spring, the heavier one will be dominant in controlling the movement of the lighter one. That is if you have one really heavy mass and one light one, the light one will bounce around and the heavy one will remain relatively still. If these two masses are the same, they will both move the same amount.

By increasing the unsprung weight of your diff, you are decreasing the authority that the vehicle has over the diff. On a smooth road, you won't notice any difference, however most of us have to drive on less than ideal roads. I for one don't like the back end of a car skipping around all over the place when going through a rough corner at speed. But then again many people would say "cool... Cool skiddies.... Razz man this car handles like it is on rails Very Happy "

Please dont take anything I say personally, I am not trying to have a go at anyone here, I am just trying to highlite why many car manufacturers are accepting the many disadvantages of independent rear ends for the reduction of unsprung weight.

Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Wed, 23 July 2003 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Wed, 23 July 2003 18:35

gianttomato wrote on Mon, 21 July 2003 12:54

RN41 ia 1410mm across from wheel monting face to wheel mounting face.

Is this measured on the outside of the drum?

I just measured my front track earlier and it came up very close to 1395mm from hub face to hub face.

*Bolts wheel to pinion flange* "Dude its not wide enuf!!!" Razz

Hub face or wheel mounting face hmmmm sounds completely different

</SARCASM>

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Wed, 23 July 2003 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well how thick are the drums?

[Updated on: Wed, 23 July 2003 09:30]

ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Wed, 23 July 2003 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Time for me to jump back in here and say thanks for all the informative comments, info and photo's.
Just some data I have from my garage floor:
RA23 std rear axle complete weighs 62kg.
RN25 axle with open centre diff weighs 81kg.
Taking the open centre out and weighing it, 21kg.
Weighing the LSD centre 26kg, 5kg more than the open one.
Fitting the LSD and the axle now weighs 86kg, a difference of 24kg over the original set up or some 39%. Drum brakes still on the Hilux axle.
I have no problems with the unsprung weight comments but I believe my lightweight alloy rims, Koni sport shorts and Lovells heavy duty springs can account for this increase in weight and 'handle' it properly. Converting to disks would also reduce the weight difference.
You would have to be crazy to consider a rear axle change without modified / improved suspension to accompany it.
The weight arguement always crops up when you start talking axle conversions and mention the word 'Hilux'.
24kg is not a big price to pay.
If you want strength, performance, durability, ease of repair (if its ever required again) on a budget, then there will always be a compromise, and in this case it is weight. If your budget is unlimited, then you can custom make out of lightweight high strength materials and or buy expensive rare components.
T series LSD's are as rare as, expensive ($3000 ???!!!), and still let down by the small axles. The Hilux LSD centre is only 5kg more than the open Hilux centre, and bigger pinions and crown wheels will always weigh more; remember you are moving to 8inch equipment from your original 6.7inch set-up.
IIRC S13 axles measure 1365mm and are limited by their choice of LSD's, only 2 I think, in ratios of 3.65 and 4.25. I don't know how 'strong' they are.
I think the F series route is worth looking at providing you can get an LSD in the ratio you want, but you may still have to shorten the thing.
Add to it for me that the Police in WA are not keen on shortened axles and the Hilux route is really the only choice left open.
And I have never heard a complaint from anyone running a Hilux rear end. The famous B/W diff whine still haunts some Skyline owners.
Going back to weight for a second, that came up on another list with the Corona/Hilux/Pug front strut vented rotors 4 pot caliper conversion. I did this swap last year. Standard RA23 front strut weighs 21kg, the C/H/P combo weighs 23kg; 2kg more or less than a 10% increase. Again, my suspension mods and lightweight wheels more than account for this difference in unsprung weight.
Modification is always a compromise, you must decide on what you are prepared to accept.
Mitch.

Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Thu, 24 July 2003 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In the RA40, I use to run MR2 (SW20) disk and calipers, a little bit of machining of the axle-hub, custom braket, which was bolted using the longer studs for the Bearing housing, kept the five stud pattern, by using Crown hub and RA60 vented discs and brakes up front, worked well!
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Thu, 24 July 2003 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johnny.
A good easy solution to get disks on the back of an RA40.
Steve M
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Sat, 26 July 2003 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gold Ra28 wrote

Just for interest, The RA28/RA29 GT's came with an F series live axle, shame we didn't get them here.

My brother thinks that some of these rear ends were sent over.
When his 6.7" diff blew from his RA28 he had trouble finding one that was the same size, all the RA28 diffs that the wreckers were pulling out seemed to be mostly too large to fit in the axle housing. They were possibly the 7.5" f series rearend you spoke off. His t series axles were far too small in diameter to fit in the larger diff he brought home the first time.

How would the f series diffs be identified? Do they have any specific markings?
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Sat, 26 July 2003 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some more pics of another disc brake conversion done by Allan. Same principle - he used MA70 backing plates, discs and calipers.
For your interest, there is also a pic comparing the pissant T series centre (Laughing) to a serious G series centre (Shocked).
http://members.optusnet.com.au/gianttomato/Hilux%2 0brake%20upgrade/

Cheers Dave.

Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Sat, 26 July 2003 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://members.optusnet.com.au/gianttomato/Hilux%20brake%20upgrade/T%20vs%20Gseries.JPG

G Vs T series center (notice T series center welded)

http://members.optusnet.com.au/gianttomato/Hilux%20brake%20upgrade/Gseries%20LSD.JPG

My 3.9:1 LSD center Very Happy

http://members.optusnet.com.au/gianttomato/Hilux%20brake%20upgrade/MA70%20disc.JPG

G series Axle with MA70 Rear disc and backing plate fitted

http://members.optusnet.com.au/gianttomato/Hilux%20brake%20upgrade/caliper%20bracket.JPG

Caliper and bracket prototype

http://members.optusnet.com.au/gianttomato/Hilux%20brake%20upgrade/axle%20diameter.JPG

G series Axle

EDIT: to quick dave!!!! Smile if theres a few people interested in the caliper brackets i can get some water cut and powder coated sexy ones made..

[Updated on: Sat, 26 July 2003 23:25]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Sun, 27 July 2003 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Sun, 27 July 2003 09:17

if theres a few people interested in the caliper brackets i can get some water cut and powder coated sexy ones made..

Pick me pick me I'm interested.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Sun, 27 July 2003 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does the MA70 have a 5 stud? And is it the same as the Hilux?
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Hilux Rear Disk Brakes Sun, 27 July 2003 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Yes, and yes (5 x 114.3).
We could probably do a changeover thing for the whole kit....need to work out prices etc....
Pages (3): [1  2  3  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:LSD's
Next Topic:ke11 brake upgrade+ stud conversion
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 07:14:33 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0097959041595459 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.