Toymods » General Car Talk » Pics and engine info for FWD Celicas - 1986 +

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
icon1.gif  Pics and engine info for FWD Celicas - 1986 + Thu, 10 July 2003 04:24 Go to next message
Celica owners ..

You mind telling me the years, models, engines for the FWD Celicas from 1986 onwards?

1986 - ST162 ... 2Ltr EFI ?
.. .. 2 Ltr EFI Twin Cam ?

Can stop at the rounded ones... I am not interested in those ones i.e. the 2.2 ltr ones)

Thanks !!!

[Updated on: Thu, 10 July 2003 13:19]

Send a private message to this user    
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: FWD Celicas - 1986 onwards info Thu, 10 July 2003 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ST162 has a 3S-GE
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
icon14.gif  Re: FWD Celicas - 1986 onwards info Thu, 10 July 2003 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1.8 or 2 ?

EFI or carb ?

excuse the ignorance !! Surprised
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: FWD Celicas - 1986 onwards info Thu, 10 July 2003 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3S-GE

2litre
twin cam
EFI
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: FWD Celicas - 1986 onwards info Thu, 10 July 2003 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did these engines change much !? up to the TWIN CAM sticker celicas ? i.e. new ones ?
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: FWD Celicas - 1986 onwards info Thu, 10 July 2003 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my knowledge on FWD celicas is sketchy

ST162 3S-GE
ST182 3S-GE and 5S-FE (2.2lite, narrow economical head and overall sad engine)
ST202 5S-FE

as far as the 3S-GE goes there were some generational changes that'll be better explained by someone who knows better Very Happy
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: FWD Celicas - 1986 onwards info Thu, 10 July 2003 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
quote - overall sad engine hahahahahahahahah !!!

how much do they sell for ? i have seen some in pretty good condition !
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: FWD Celicas - 1986 onwards info Thu, 10 July 2003 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry Les i have no idea, im drowning here, i would have thought an ST celica enthusiast would have chimed in by now Confused
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: FWD Celicas - 1986 onwards info Thu, 10 July 2003 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No worries - u the man !!
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Pics and engine info for FWD Celicas - 1986 + Thu, 10 July 2003 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok Rob_RA40 I'll give it a shot.

When you say How much do they sell for, do you mean the Engine or Whole Car????

ST162 SX has 3S-GE, 2L Twin Cam 16 EFI (~135hp standard)
ST162 ST has 3S-FE, 2L Twin Cam 16 EFI (just a lot less power due to camry engine ~97hp Standard)

ST184 SX has 5S-FE, 2.2L Twin Cam 16 EFI (Still Camry engine)

Not sure if ST18x series came with 3S-GE engines. Don't think they did but I could be wrong.

Don't know too much about them, Know more about the ST16x series.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Pics and engine info for FWD Celicas - 1986 + Thu, 10 July 2003 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To buy whole i meant, sorry .. decent condition with good paint and interior etc ?

So Aussie vs USA
thus ST = GT
SL = ST
SCO-77K
Regular

January 2003
Re: Pics and engine info for FWD Celicas - 1986 + Fri, 11 July 2003 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ST = GT (3S-FE)
SX = GT-S (3S-GE)

the australian, 5th and 6th generation celicas didnt have a
3S-GE, only the 4th gen (ST162)
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Pics and engine info for FWD Celicas - 1986 + Fri, 11 July 2003 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats what I thought, thanks Scott. The Later gen 3S-GE only came in the MR2. Smile

Les,

For a decent ST162 SX you can probably look around the $5000 mark for an 86' up to about $8000 tops for an 88/89'. If I was you I would steer clear of the ST model. Stick with the SX model.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Pics and engine info for FWD Celicas - 1986 + Fri, 11 July 2003 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah don't buy an ST, they suck. They are slow and almost have a 'downgraded' feel about them. and don't even think about a 184, they are disasters performance wise Smile sorry to anyone who has one, but my mate's wife has one, and although the suspension on it is nice, it is very slow.

I bought my car for 5k (June 88 SX 3SGE) with a few minor problems, but have been overall very happy. That was a very good price too.

see my signature for a list of the kind of features you can expect.

Smile Rob
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Pics and engine info for FWD Celicas - 1986 + Fri, 11 July 2003 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sweet as thanks

and i guess 1988+ is the way to go ?

im assuming that a 3S-GTE will bolt right in ?

[Updated on: Fri, 11 July 2003 12:37]

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Pics and engine info for FWD Celicas - 1986 + Fri, 11 July 2003 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ST's have only 4 stud wheels also, SX's, 5
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Pics and engine info for FWD Celicas - 1986 + Fri, 11 July 2003 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats nice bout the wheel patterns hehehe Smiley =

ummm is there any aesthetic differences with the 86 and 88 sx twincams ?

there dont seem to be many 88 model ones for sale.

engines are the same ?
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Pics and engine info for FWD Celicas - 1986 + Fri, 11 July 2003 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok from my limited experience, the engines are slightly different. I don't know about performance wise, but there are some ways you can tell the differences (aside from the plates)

The 86 and some 87 models have the oxygen sensor located just after or on the exhaust manifold, on 88 models it is about level with the firewall on the exhaust system. The cat is also on the vertical part of the engine pipe on the earlier setup, whereas on the 88s (mine) it is about level with the driver's seat.

The 88 model ones also have slighly different front grill. Look at my pix again on my signature. they have several thin horizontal slits on the grill. The earlier models have a sligtly different setup like Wiso's

http://homepage.mac.com/andrewlincolne/.Pictures/P hoto%20Album%20Pictures/2003-07-07%2000.32.11%20-0 700/Image-8B7A120CB04B11D7.jpg

I don't know the delivery dates of the various renditions I am sorry, but it gives you an idea of some of the differences. I don't know if there is any difference in the performance of the various years of the 3SGEs. If you were looking to stick a 3sgte in though I guess it isn't vitally important what engine is in the one you buy. Smile The 3SGE is a very tough reliable engine with some decent performance. I like it a lot.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Pics and engine info for FWD Celicas - 1986 + Fri, 11 July 2003 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok apart from the grills, any other differences ? i.e. interior.. and overall shape etc ?

and let me guess the sx come with 4 discs and st's 2 disc 2 drums ?

what kind of cars do they compare with on the straight ? or are they not exceptionally quick cars in stock form ?

just want some sort of comparo..how quick are they ? what kinda cars do they keep up with ?

and maintenance wise... pretty sweet ?
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Pics and engine info for FWD Celicas - 1986 + Fri, 11 July 2003 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you're really testing me out here Les Smile I think you are right about the brakes. If I am wrong in any of this correct me somebody!

according to some of the guys here at toymods, the figures for a factory SX are high 8 seconds 0 - 100. That is what I would get with a relatively hard start.

Fuel, I get in the city about 10 litres per 100 kilometers, and I drive it hard.
On the free way it is like 7.5 litres per 100.

Maintainance. Parts are easy to get, and quite cheap, the engine bay is relatively accessible for a FWD 16 valve (much more room than a corolla, but not as much as some larger RWD cars)

Who do I beat? I don't know exactly stats for comparison, but I think......
... on a limb here... the older CRXs, EXAs for sure, your average prelude, beat a VN commodore the other day.... but there are so many variables. I mean I totally beat off a turbo riced-up prelude. I don't know what his problem was, but I beat him, and I shouldn't have. (left it in first to see if he wanted to race from the lights, and I hear the whine and the rear of his car sits down a fraction, and i am like 'cool' and so i boot it and after my second and his 'phhhhht' I just stayed ahead. very wierd.) My friend has an SX 4AGE Corolla and I always overtake him by like 1/2 a car length at the least.

[Updated on: Fri, 11 July 2003 23:52]

Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Pics and engine info for FWD Celicas - 1986 + Sat, 12 July 2003 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
testing u ? haha, in that case you have done EXTREMELY well ! haha

Thanks a heap! THey sound like a good car !! Very Happy
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Pics and engine info for FWD Celicas - 1986 + Sat, 12 July 2003 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah your dead right on the Brakes.

The only other way to tell I know that hasn't been mentioned is the tail lights. 86/87 models have two separate tail/brake lights with the reverse in the middle each side, while 88/89 have the american style, one single big tail/brake light each side.

Times got from a road test of the car back in the late 80's (when new), 0 - 100km was low 9sec, quarter mile low 16sec @ 135km/h
In this road test the car was tested against an 86 RX7 non turbo and an 86 cordia turbo. The celica got the lowest Quarter Mile time each run. (cause these were road tests, all cars were stock)

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Pics and engine info for FWD Celicas - 1986 + Sun, 13 July 2003 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
les if your looking at getitng one of these celicas ( ie 86 - 92 ish ) DEFINANTLY go the st162 SX celica with the 3sge motor ( like robs )

they by far are the best performing of the NA late model celicas - those 3sge's are GREAT NA motors , go hard - for a non turbo - and can be made to handle VERY well

After being in robst162's 162 - i can vouch for the sound as well - his has a good set of extractors on it - and sounds pretty bloody good - and it went well too ( even with the suspension needing some love and our homemade non rice cold air induction!! * rob is it still on ?? *)

If you cant find a Gt4 thats affordable and not rough as guts - go the 162 !

Any help i can put in - i will Smile( searching for info right now )
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Pics and engine info for FWD Celicas - 1986 + Sun, 13 July 2003 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Had a look at two examples today

'88 st162 3sge - 160,000 MINT !!! Can get him down to $5,500
'86 st162 3sge - 209,000 not as good - $3,200

I really like the 88 one, but is a little out of my reach.. as I am looking for a run around car only Nope

86 is good but needs work and do not intend to do any work. the ra65 is work enough and as u said classique, they are kickass in stock form. they go well!

TELL ME... the 88 got a face lift didnt they... i swear they look a LOT different from the 86 model...

SCO-77K
Regular

January 2003
Re: Pics and engine info for FWD Celicas - 1986 + Mon, 14 July 2003 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also just letting you know not all of the 87 year model are the same, my car is november 87 and is the same as 88,89 models not 86
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Pics and engine info for FWD Celicas - 1986 + Mon, 14 July 2003 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Only real differences between the 86 to 88 are what's been mentioned. Grill, Taillights, and Stock Wheels.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Pics and engine info for FWD Celicas - 1986 + Mon, 14 July 2003 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so the body shape - exactly the same ?
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Pics and engine info for FWD Celicas - 1986 + Tue, 15 July 2003 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep the shell is exactly the same. Nod Nod Nod
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Pics and engine info for FWD Celicas - 1986 + Tue, 15 July 2003 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about interior dood ?

do all the 88+ come standard autop windows ?

I ask this because I saw 1 88 model and yes power windors..

saw 2 86 models and they had wind up windows ... ?

and the sunroof - does this open / close or is it just a glass one that does not open / close. one I saw was glued on... (maybe cuz it was leaking) ? Cool
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Pics and engine info for FWD Celicas - 1986 + Tue, 15 July 2003 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I haven't yet seen an 86 with power windows, but most 88 I have seen do. So yeah that assumption would be correct. Wink

Well all of the factory sunroofs in the cars were painted panels, which poped up and retracted into the roof. There was never any glass factory roofs. Confused
isaac
Regular

March 2003
Re: Pics and engine info for FWD Celicas - 1986 + Tue, 15 July 2003 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a 1990 2.2 SX. My friend has an 87 2.0. My friend always wins. Is there a way i can convert my engine to G EG 5SFE to 5SGE like could i just get the heads or whatever out of a 3sge and put them in mine?
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Pics and engine info for FWD Celicas - 1986 + Wed, 16 July 2003 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you have money, anything is possible !!

Just get a GT4 engine and dont tell him... hahahaha
then u will beat him all the time and he can wonder why ?? Laughing
isaac
Regular

March 2003
Re: Pics and engine info for FWD Celicas - 1986 + Wed, 16 July 2003 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can find the prices of 3SGTEs at wreckers, but i am not that good at mecanics, all i know is what parts are what and the basics of how engines work and stuff. Do you think I would be able to install the new engine with just a little help from a mecanic or how much woudl it cost to get somebody to install it?
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Pics and engine info for FWD Celicas - 1986 + Wed, 16 July 2003 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No that head swap idea is totally not possible. Nope

3S-GTE engines can cost you in the vicinity of 1800 to 2500 roughly, not entirely 100% on that. Rolling Eyes

Not completly sure on the cost to transplant the engine by paying someone, but I can imagine It wouldn't be cheap. doing it yourself can run you into a few thousand.
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: Pics and engine info for FWD Celicas - 1986 + Fri, 14 January 2005 03:47 Go to previous message
Go the 162s

I'm loving mine... its a recommendation from Rob, i rekon the best advice his given me Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:The latest in AE86RICE
Next Topic:stereo whine / noise FAQ
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 31 18:06:24 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0073060989379883 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.