Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
CheeseCake_Bandit
Regular

May 2002
Question on 'air intake' for AE92 Tue, 29 July 2003 02:20 Go to next message
I have read some articles on installing air intakes in the AE92, they say to install the 'pod' under the battery behind the front bumper, thats no problem, but my worry is the distance between the factory placement and the pod placement, they would be different lengths, will this affect the intake?

Another point would be that the pod is located 'under' the battery behind the bumper which is much lower than the factory placement, therefore the pipe would move horizontally then drop down, would this restrict air from moving freely as it must travel 'up' then 'across' instead of the factory 'across'??

And finally would metal/aluminium/whatever pipe be more effective then those plastic/silicon/whatever tubing???

Send a private message to this user    
SecaSX
Regular

April 2003
Re: Question on 'air intake' for AE92 Tue, 29 July 2003 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To get a Cold Air Induction system to work properly you have to heat shield the pod otherwise it would just be sucking in all the hot air from the engine bay. You will also note the sensors which are hooked to the airbox currently which will have to be relocated when you attach the pod.

You want minimal bends if you will be installing some sort of pipe as the more bends means there would be more restriction to the airflow.

Pods are good for the sound and if the CAI system is setup properly it will benefit but a poor setup (no proper heat shield etc) it will actually make the performance suffer.

I have a K&N Panel filter in my AE92 Seca SX and it works fine. It may be worth while considering unless you want the induction sound that the pod filters make. Choice is yours. Very Happy
SXer
Regular

May 2002
Re: Question on 'air intake' for AE92 Tue, 29 July 2003 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its not difficult to just hook up a cold air feed to the stock airbox. I made one from a 3.8L commodore air intake (much larger diamteter than the corolla one) and plumbed straight from the guard to the airbox. It looked absolutely factory and gave a discernable improvement in performance. Parts cost me $10 from a wrecker.
Morg
Occasional Poster

June 2003

Re: Question on 'air intake' for AE92 Sun, 04 April 2004 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hay does anyone have any pictures
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Question on 'air intake' for AE92 Thu, 08 April 2004 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone got that link for the dude who did it himself and took all the photos and how to..

you know he took the bumper and quarter panel off and stuff..

rob Smile
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Question on 'air intake' for AE92 Thu, 08 April 2004 07:02 Go to previous message
oh here it is! Smile

http://www.4age.net/tech/coldair.htm
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1jzgte into a MA61?
Next Topic:What brake pads should i get for my Rav4?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Sep 28 19:19:34 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059299468994141 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.