Toymods » General Car Talk » Legal Issue: Neon lights in the car

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
CheeseCake_Bandit
Regular

May 2002
Legal Issue: Neon lights in the car Wed, 13 August 2003 07:27 Go to next message
What does the RTA/Police have to say about putting blue neon lights (any neon light for that matter) inside the cabin area,

Is it allowed to be there but not on?, can it be mounted high, or low ? Is it a defect/fine?

Anyone know the jis of this issue

Thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Legal Issue: Neon lights in the car Wed, 13 August 2003 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think there should be some new legislation

anti-rice laws
4a-c
Regular

April 2003
Re: Legal Issue: Neon lights in the car Wed, 13 August 2003 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You better take that guage out of your car then chris
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Legal Issue: Neon lights in the car Wed, 13 August 2003 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know a girl that got defected for heaps of stuff on her Lancer,

i don't think she got a fine but just a defect,
she had to remove the neons inside her car and she also had blue headlights which you need an engineering certificate for unless it came from factory with blue headlights,

but honestly why do you want them in your car.

is it you just have some love affair with neons or you are "TRYING" to impress other people
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Legal Issue: Neon lights in the car Wed, 13 August 2003 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
eat one andrew its not rice..
its a performance accessory, who noes when i might blow a ring or something?
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Legal Issue: Neon lights in the car Wed, 13 August 2003 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
neons are to make sure you have enough light to see the monster tacho shift light even though you have an auto gearbox that changes gears for you Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Legal Issue: Neon lights in the car Wed, 13 August 2003 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any couloured light inside the car that is bright enough to be seen out side will get you a defect.
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Legal Issue: Neon lights in the car Wed, 13 August 2003 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
including your face when you get beaten by an excel Embarassed Laughing
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Legal Issue: Neon lights in the car Wed, 13 August 2003 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

In the ADR's it says

'A vehicle may be fitted with interior lights that illuminate any interior part of the vehicle'

so...take that as you will.

P.S neons are gay Smile
swankiedude
Regular

March 2003

Re: Legal Issue: Neon lights in the car Wed, 13 August 2003 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Neons are totally legal inside and outside the car. You can put them wherever you want within reason. If you get caught with them turned on then thats when your gonna get a fine issued.

Here is a tricky fact for you though, on the outside of the car, white neons are legal to have turned on and orange neons are right on the boarder of being legal.
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Legal Issue: Neon lights in the car Fri, 15 August 2003 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slight mod to Swankiedude's post.
From what I've heard, constantly on White is legal on the front, yellow on the sides, red on the back; cause these mimic what the standard car lights do.
Flem
Regular

May 2002
Re: Legal Issue: Neon lights in the car Sat, 16 August 2003 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
With red and blue neons if the copper really doesnt like you your get done for IMPERSONATING A POLICE OFFICER,as far as i know your allowed to have neons but not allowed to have them on while driving but you can have them on while stationary , but then i dont have any or i dont want any, they add too much horsepower for me Very Happy

[Updated on: Sat, 16 August 2003 05:21]

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Legal Issue: Neon lights in the car Sat, 16 August 2003 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It all dependant on the position, colour, mood of officer and whether you are stationary or not that determines if neons are illegal or not.

My simple interpretation of the rule - if your car is moving, you cannot have neons on either inside or outside the car.
struan
Regular

June 2002
Re: Legal Issue: Neon lights in the car Sat, 23 August 2003 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A Police officer is not going to fine you for something that may or may not comply to ADR's. A police officer will fine you for something which is contrary to the motor traffic act...
The location and postion and operation of lights is clearly spelt out in the Motor Traffic act and the associated regulations. Not sure if you can access it online but a quick trip into the government book shop in Parramatta will get you a copy. It also covers everything else like radar detectors and how long you can park your horse and cart for.
gtman
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Legal Issue: Neon lights in the car Sat, 23 August 2003 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here's an interesting article. It's WA based, and it didn't have anything on incar neon's, but it does have undercar neon's and some other stuff http://www.rollaboyz.org.au/events/rb/carlegalityi nfosession14052003.html

on neon's
"Undercar Neons - They ARE permitted providing that the actual neon lamp is not visible. You are able to drive with your neons on as long as they are still (i.e not strobing). There is also no restriction on colour. "
mr spears
Regular

May 2002
Re: Legal Issue: Neon lights in the car Sat, 23 August 2003 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about those bogan utes goin round with heaps of orange lights around them?
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Legal Issue: Neon lights in the car Sat, 23 August 2003 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WA laws may be different to NSW.
Ive seen a guy getting done by an unmarked for blue neons undercar. The car was so low the tubes wouldnt be visable
gtman
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Legal Issue: Neon lights in the car Mon, 25 August 2003 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sometimes it can depend on the driver as well. I'm sure some cops will ping you for something that might be legal if you are acting like a dick Smile
letmedrift
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: Legal Issue: Neon lights in the car Tue, 26 August 2003 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its all bad enough that the normal white headlights are so bringht for the eyes, but neon headlights are painful to look at - so don't do it you crazy punks.
CrusinSX
Occasional Poster

August 2003

Re: Legal Issue: Neon lights in the car Tue, 26 August 2003 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
iv heard it is legal to have them on when the car is not in motion... one of my mates had them squirter neons on the bonnet and got pulled over. the cop made him cut the wires to them as they are totaly illegal not only that i reckon they look crap!
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Legal Issue: Neon lights in the car Tue, 26 August 2003 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Queensland rules:

All additional lighting systems are to be fitted strictly in
accordance with Queensland legislation.
Additional pairs of headlights, showing a beam of white light
only, may be fitted and must not affect the driver’s view. The
headlights must be mounted symmetrically. Additional high
beam headlights must extinguish automatically when low
beam is selected.
A pair of fog lights, showing a beam of white or yellow light,
may be fitted to the front of a motor vehicle with the centres
no higher than the top of the dipped beam headlight. The lamps
must be mounted symmetrically not less than 600mm apart.
Fog lights must be capable of being switched on and off
independently of any headlights but must only be able to be
switched on when the parking lights are on. Fog lights must
not be used except in fog or mist or under other atmospheric
conditions which restrict visibility.
Blue lights are not allowed on any vehicles except police vehicles.
Red lights and reflectors must face to the rear. White lights
and reflectors must face forward.
Amber lamps are not permitted except for clearance and outline
lamps of goods vehicles and buses and indicators on all vehicles.
With the exception of indicators, flashing lights are not
permitted on any vehicle, except
• special vehicles for use in hazardous situations (eg. tow
trucks) and
• emergency vehicles (eg. police).

So no matter how much you want bling bling, you're better off spending the money elsewhere that is legal.

As for inside the car, Why would you? Too much light will hamper your driving at night ability, and make your car scream out "defect me" to the piggaz.

A nice set of brakes will impress a true car enthusiast more than something they'll just glance at and think "rice", unless you're into picking up school girls that is. Wink Very Happy
SXer
Regular

May 2002
Re: Legal Issue: Neon lights in the car Wed, 27 August 2003 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
neon lights is less of a legal issue - more of a taste issue... Very Happy
DiZ_
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Legal Issue: Neon lights in the car Thu, 28 August 2003 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If neons get you schoolgirls , im getting some Laughing
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Legal Issue: Neon lights in the car Fri, 29 August 2003 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doesnt say anything about green neons..... Confused
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Legal Issue: Neon lights in the car Fri, 29 August 2003 11:18 Go to previous message
Caledwvech wrote on Fri, 29 August 2003 14:09

Doesnt say anything about green neons..... Confused

Doesn't say anything about pink either, but put some on and cruise around the city for the night and tell us what happens. Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:import
Next Topic:OMFG!!! SUPRA RAPED!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 16:21:35 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0080621242523193 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.