Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic
AuthorTopic
CheeseCake_Bandit
Regular

May 2002
What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Thu, 14 August 2003 05:20 Go to next message
From alot of the posts in these forums i get the feeling of a little hostility towards ricers,

Is there any reason why so many of you have a thing against them, is it the fact that no matter how good your car can be, those ricers rip it in half ? And what or who does the term 'ricers' refer to?

It quite an interesting topic but personally i would go the way of the ricer then a 'wog ride'...^^; "How does 5 monstar shift lite tachos sound, not a bad light effect when dark
  Send a private message to this user  
gtman
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Thu, 14 August 2003 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the thing that annoys people is that 'ricers' make their car look like something special, but don't put any effort into how it actually performs. All show and no go. Well, thats one complaint.
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Thu, 14 August 2003 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CheeseCake_Bandit wrote on Thu, 14 August 2003 13:20

How does 5 monstar shift lite tachos sound, not a bad light effect when dark

coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Thu, 14 August 2003 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That sentence there is what makes a ricer i bet you have an auto and you want a shift light Confused Or you get a monster tach not to see what revs your doing just cause it looks cool.

Ricers buy pointless shit that does nothing for there car but add weight to there already stupid looking washing machine with a milo tin stuck up its ass
CheeseCake_Bandit
Regular

May 2002
Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Thu, 14 August 2003 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ummm, well my car is a manual, can't see the point in getting a shift lite for an auto, and i do look at my revs, gives me an indication of how hard i should push my engine,

And tachos don't exactly way that much
CheeseCake_Bandit
Regular

May 2002
Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Thu, 14 August 2003 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But i got the ricer jis, basically all show no go, nothing beats my sleeper
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Thu, 14 August 2003 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the whole idea of the board is to generate 'intelligent' discussion upon modified toyotas. Modified in terms of performance in relation to mechanicals. Usually performed by themselves, or with help from others on the forum.

To me undercar neons, snap on seat covers and clear tailights (that were all probably installed in a performance shop) don't count as 'modifications'. But everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Just don't go revving the crap out of your standard corolla with a 4 inch muffler on it.....because yes, you look like a tool, no matter how much you think the ladies love it.

[Updated on: Thu, 14 August 2003 05:50]

ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Thu, 14 August 2003 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes i have offen wondered how this term came about.

'Rice' = 'asian grown grain, used as a base for oriental style meals.'

So what i'm wondering is when 'we' call people 'rice' are we referring to people of asian background?

I'm sure most anti-ricers are more or less referring to the distaste of the middle-eastern style modifying, ie. 'Mohammed Omar's fully decked out WRX (just an example), more than 'John Wong's Lancer with Cannon exhaust, Mitsubishi sponsorship stickers, and automatic transimission.'

So the labelling solution: 'Kebabs' Laughing

[Updated on: Thu, 14 August 2003 05:55]

CheeseCake_Bandit
Regular

May 2002
Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Thu, 14 August 2003 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha, thats so true... i love those dudes that drive buy club revving the shit out of there car hoping people will think its got something done to it, couple of weeks back and excel decided he'd give the rev a dis and smoke starting coming out of his engine bay, he had to pull over next to the club where i was in line, and everyone just laughed at the dude.
CheeseCake_Bandit
Regular

May 2002
Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Thu, 14 August 2003 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So if you are against ricers, then what category do you guys fit into ???
gtman
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Thu, 14 August 2003 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
performance modifiers
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Thu, 14 August 2003 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
95 % of us would fall into Modifiers

ie we take a car - and make it better by one means or another ( engine swap , performance gains , handling changes etc etc )

perfect example would be Giant tomato's corona mark2 or norbies 2jz supra ma61 ..or jamie heritage's 1uz TT celica - make a small car go OH so hard - while making it still retain its classic coolness. My favorite is oldcorolla's 3tgte tiny corolla - it looks like something your grandma would plod about in to the shops But is capable of tearing up the quarter faster than just about every street car i know out there Smile It even has the babyseat in the back !

they have taken a stock standard car - and made them into fire breathers with the performance and handling to match ..

most of us ( except les and his fooly sic lancer * har har * ) come here to look for advice to make our cars better - or general directions on how to do jobs or conversions we are undertaking ..

i dont think any of us go out of their way to make their car look like the batmobile - while retaining the firebreathing potential of pissweak econobox motors like "ricers" do

Ricers consider their car as a fasion extension , like reebok , nike , or gucci hence the sticker factor " look how much expensive heavy crap i wish i had "

ricers want to impress the laydeeez , and try to be elite. Image is everything , performance is not .

modifiers just want their cars to live up to greater expectations, by figuring out means to make them better than they ever came out of the factory - and make it SO !
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Thu, 14 August 2003 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh respect! Cool
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Thu, 14 August 2003 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so how come 'they' are called 'ricers'?

where did this term orignate is what i want to know!
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Thu, 14 August 2003 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Asian Pride - Got Rice Bitch?

It's the A-z-n, nigga fuck the rest
Die less to New York jigga we the best
Vietnam to Japan to Mongolia,
Phillipines to Taiwan to Cambodia
Korea ah ah, hometown China
Who u got huh? U got shit nigga feel the size
It's the A-z-n betta recognize

Got Rice Bitch? Got Rice? Got Food, got soup got fights?
Got Brains like us? Got Skills like us? Got cars, got clothes, got girls like us?

Wazzup? We the shit n we gonna kill yall fools
Got money in the bank from our family jewels
Can we help it if we raid and kurupt the skools?
It don't matter, fuck the law, shit we break the rulez
We jack cars fuck engines yeah we got the tools
Pump it out, take the shit n then we shoot sum pools
U fuck wit me u fuck wit all bitch don't think its kewl
1 on 1? Fuck Dat, its 3 on 1, yeah fool

Got Rice Bitch? Got Rice? Got nething 2 show that is nice?
Got caps, got booze, got looks like us? No hell, ure white, ull neva b like us

Take off ure shoes when u enter please or crawl around on the floor with ure fucking kneez
Don't mind the smell u'll get used 2 it, moth balls, dried squid and that booty shit
What the hell is that? U think I don't c ne forks in the house, chopsticks only
Have a taste don't b scared try the lemon tea, dun want it? thats aiiite try the fuck hong lee

Got Rice Bitch? Got Rice? Got luck everytime u roll the dice?
Ure luck is bad unless u run n hide coz we thugz 4 life baby, AZN PRIDE
SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Thu, 14 August 2003 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Though I am not for the form of ricing in an overly fashion, you could consider "ricing" as another form of modification as we do engine swaps etc...

As Classique said... Image is everything , performance is not... Oh so true in today's world of trendy young kids. Who cares if their Silvia has no turbo and is an auto and probably as exciting to drive as a 70's car... it's the looks, it's got RWD so you can "try" to drift etc etc... that makes it in today's world. Look at the Lancer... there isn't a hi-performance model out yet those that drive it try to make it look like one. If it wasn't for the EVO's existence, would you think the Lancer would sell any better than an Excel?

Just coming home today I see this Baleno with heaps of multi coloured stickers adorned all over it... I guess it's a shout to everyone to look at them. To me that's a ricer.. but then again, you could call me a ricer coz I've got Opel badges on my car (but at least it's factory).
SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Thu, 14 August 2003 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Audioslaver wrote on Thu, 14 August 2003 16:31

so how come 'they' are called 'ricers'?

where did this term orignate is what i want to know!

"They" say that rice came from the US where they called Japanese motorbikes... but there are many variations of the origin of the word rice (as a form of car modification).... naturally, a person who rices, is a ricer.
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Thu, 14 August 2003 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Which one is the Ricer[ 24 vote(s) ]
1.The Guy Standing next to his fully sick car keeping it smick 22 / 92%
2.The guy playing around under the bonnet because its lost 1% of power 2 / 8%

The main point is why do you need a 5 inch tacho? is your seeing that bad you need a 5 inch tacho? if yes then you shouldn't even be on the road,

its fair enough to do a couple of things to a car to make it look that little bit better and make it a bit different to every other car out there but the problem is when people start doing mods not because they happen to like it but because they want other people to think they look good,

A Ricer is someone who does up there car in the attempt to improve their self image and make themself look good to anyone who sees them driving, They put all that shit on the car to make other people like it and impress them.

Where someone who does an engine swap doesn't do it for the group of teenagers on the corner but do it for their own enjoyment of having a fast car.

Its hard to define a ricer, sure i have a dump tip on my car and mags, but thats because i like it and thats the last of the cosmetic things i plan on doing to it, i have no need to stick performance stickers all over my car and letting everyone know what brand stereo i have.

i'm not going for impressing people, for God sake i own a Charade and its not something that would impress a car hoon but i'm doing up the engine and gearbox and turning it into rally spec for my own enjoyment, i love going into a corner at a million k's an hour so i'm building a car that can do that.

so most easy way to tell if your a ricer is,

do you slow down when going past people on the side of the road so they get a longer look at your car?

do you look at people on the side of the road to see if they look at your car?

Will you only drive through populated area's so people can see your car?

if so then you are doing up your car for other peoples enjoyment and not your own.

and thats what a ricer is, someone who does up a car so other people think it looks good, not because you want to.

A true car lover will restore a car, modify it so its more enjoyable to drive and enjoy just sitting there and looking at it by themself, going on long drives by themself to just enjoy driving their car.

Here is a question for you guys,

lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Thu, 14 August 2003 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i can see what you mean by the 1% power loss and fiddling, i have a panic everytime my exhaust/intake/boost level or anything changes even a tiny bit. i even rang my mechanic about 1min down the road after finding out that boost was coming on SLIGHTLY slower than it did when i had a change of intake system.

ricers. i think they should fuck off. adding plastic gaudy crap to your car is fucking pathetic. like lots of modifications i like. leather interior, yeah i dig that, some nice 3 piece mags, yeah i dig that, lower suspension, yeah i dig that.............on a decent car. even stereos i dont have a problem with.

a ricer to me is someone with a car that was NEVER designed for performance in mind, it as designed for economy, has a massive exhaust, a single adonised wiper conversion, a massive angular bodykit, spraypainted internal dash panels. stickers for parts that the car DOSENT even have. its just a waste of money and it looks tacky.

modifications that COMPLIMENT the body of a car, flairing (to fit larger wheels) and stuff like that is all cool, modifications that improve the performace get the thumbs up.

aeroplane wings on cars that have trouble reaching 150 on the freeway is just ludacris.
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Thu, 14 August 2003 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh yeah and my number one ricer hate

the belif that a twin exhaust and a pod filter make a stock lancer FAST. oh my fucking god, they have obviously never been in any performance orientated car
truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Thu, 14 August 2003 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
'rice'cars are mass produced cars originating out of places like japan and korea. they are always 4 cylinder and are almost always around 1.3-1.8, they r slow economical cars. my personal rice favourite ( read pet hate!!) is the "phat" Laughing "evo lancers!!" evo 5/6 kit, altezza lights, neons, a sub or 4, sports steering wheel, pedals gear knob, plus a tip back exhaust!! others are things like, excels and kias n shit, rice is basically newish, non classic car, that were never meant to go fast modded with pointless features, my parents camry can even beat those "evo" lancers, and it is a 4 cylinder wagon for fucks sake, manual but......
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Thu, 14 August 2003 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Man, my point of view of a ricer is someone that gets his Honda, gets some clear tail lights and some stickers and thinks Whoa!!! I better take this baby to the drags now to see how much power I have gained...

I see nothing wrong with exhausts, mild bodykits and wings, interior panels painted and other stuff that the majority of you guys call rice...

Would you guys referr to this car as rice???
http://www.fastfoursvip.com/resources.ashx/gallery .gallery/170/Images.4712.Popup_Image/94B2867EE5EEF 15D9B552E37F2B29CBA/image.jpg

Cause I certainly don't...
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Thu, 14 August 2003 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As you can see, 90% of people on this forum don't like "ricers" that's becasue 90% of people on this forum are intolerate and narrow minded.

"Ricers" like to show off with fiberglass, "modifiers" (better known as hoons) like to use horsepower. Just depends what you like. hoons always bitch about ricers doing illegal mods like external neons, but at least they can enjoy their mods legally occasionally, us hoons (yes, I am a hoon...) can't really enjoy our mods till the tacho hits 6500 and the wheels chirp into 3rd travelling well over 100 clicks.

who is the biggest menace to society I'll let you decide but I know that if I had a choice between travelling along side Habibs fulsic CRX with HIGHLY ILLEGAL LED window washers, or the mk2 corolla with a turbo, 4.5L straight six (a damn fine piece of machinary and a credit to everyone involved) I think I'd pick Habib. Not too much chance of his stock crx loosing control, and I think I can handle the distraction of the LED's...

Tim.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Thu, 14 August 2003 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't beleive im narrow minded at all when it comes to makes and models, but i beleive that for what i want and the money i have to spend i have found the best available package.

In regards to hoons or ricers i guess i would be classed as a 'hoon' although i would prefer 'enthusiast'.

If this place was called 'ToyRicers' the population characteristics may be a little different. I wouldn't mind seeing a breakdown of ages and 'modifications' of people on the forum to determine the 'rice bracket'. I would bet its the 16-21yr olds stuggling to get an identity and as mentioned before, do it as a way of boosting their image.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Thu, 14 August 2003 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

ricer don't only drive 4 cylinders. I have seen many commodores plastered in stickers.

best one had all this kanji (jap writing) and enkei, apexi and other assorted jap brands on it. Couldn't stop laughing when i saw that! Smile
DiZ_
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Thu, 14 August 2003 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've been called a ricer for what I have done to my car , alot of people I know claim that any modifing is " Ricing ".

One only needs to look at ones driving habits to determine if they are a ricer or not.

Before I was full time employed I used to go driving every night at about 1-4 am, not to show my car off , but to take advantage of empty roads , and cold air for my CAI.

People think my CAI is rice with its pod filter on the end , sure it sounds cool , but its purpose is to improve my throttle responce and top end gains.

Then there is my new wheels which have been called border line rice by uneducated cretens because they are mildly shiny. But their real purpose is the 195 rubber on them.

The only thing close to rice in my car atm is -

1. Seat covers , cheap 20 buck ones to hide the tears in the seats.
2. The toyota shoulder pads because I love my toyota.
3. The stereo , because I love my music , no sub btw , just some phat 7,10's

I do plan on getting some window tint , but thats about it , half my paint is chalked off , my tail lights are stock. I just want my car to go faster and handle better.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Thu, 14 August 2003 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would almost classify the TT mkiv I spanked as rice.

huge rims, mega body kit, stupid exhaust tip, and 24672 stickers for hks, GReddy, etc. obviously standard since I beat him.

not the car's not rice, but it had plenty of rice on it
swankiedude
Regular

March 2003

Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Thu, 14 August 2003 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Since when did a car club become so farkin competative. Most of you people have gone and ripped the whole "club" spirit apart. Who gives a shit how many cars you can beat. Modifying is not about speed, beating people or who's car is the best. Modifying a car is all about personal choice. Personally I love bodykits, rear wings, full interior retrims and most other shit you people call "rice". Im not gonna change just because you people hate that. I will tell you now that most of you will hate my seca when im finished with it. You class any non performance modification as "rice" so does this mean respraying your car is rice, what about colourcoding bumpers or anything else, what about polishing engine parts or anything else like that??? I reallt cant be bothered saying anymore, its a waste of time
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Thu, 14 August 2003 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Since when did a car club become so farkin competative

Where is the competition?
truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Thu, 14 August 2003 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
respraying is not rice, it helps keep the exterior rust free and looking great, it only becomes rice when you have over the top bodykits and mesh inserts and chrome rims, at least 19", and it is so dumped the the car cant even turn the wheels or else it srubbs the gaurds!
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Thu, 14 August 2003 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rice is for attention whores, people who are stupid enough to mod their car simply for attention.

If aesthetic mods please you personaly, then go for it. But if you do it simply to catch other peoples attention then your a retard poser.
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Thu, 14 August 2003 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rolla Boy wrote on Thu, 14 August 2003 21:11

Man, my point of view of a ricer is someone that gets his Honda, gets some clear tail lights and some stickers and thinks Whoa!!! I better take this baby to the drags now to see how much power I have gained...

I see nothing wrong with exhausts, mild bodykits and wings, interior panels painted and other stuff that the majority of you guys call rice...

Would you guys referr to this car as rice???
http://www.fastfoursvip.com/resources.ashx/gallery .gallery/170/Images.4712.Popup_Image/94B2867EE5EEF 15D9B552E37F2B29CBA/image.jpg

Cause I certainly don't...

no thats a show car its entirely different, that car is completley finished and its not by any means what id call tacky (even if its not exactly what id do). a ricer is someone who does a half assed copy of that on their car that cost 15k new and thinks that they are wicked as
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Thu, 14 August 2003 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree it's up to personal choice. what I like I dont consider rice, butsome other people might (like nice big chromies... I quite like them)

but a charade with a 7" tip you can fir your whole leg into, with a stupid body kit, 17" chromies and dumped on it's arse with stickers everywhere and a t-wing is rice
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Thu, 14 August 2003 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, as a forum moderator, I gotta say this is looking to get a bit heated, & if it gets personal, it will be locked.
I would also like to remind people that these forums DO NOT represent the opinions & attitudes of the Toymods Car Club, the club consists of approx. 100 members, whereas the forums has thousands.

Now as a normal forum user, I gotta say the whole problem here is good ol' fashioned generalizing, or as we like to call it these days, stereotyping.
I don't think there's a definite line between being a ricer & not being a ricer. After reading these comments, I've come to realize I have some strong rice tendencies. Hey, just have a look at my car, it's kinda screaming "LOOK THE FUCK AT ME!!!!" with the colour, and yes, I like to see people checking out my car as I drive along, I've spent a bit of time & money on the cars outside appearance, I even have the clear VT indicators. Smile And hey, my car's not exactly quick in the sense we use on these forums, with all its pod filter & exhaust mods, and my anodized pedals (the second modification I ever made, after changing the gearknob:)). I even drive through populated areas just to show off my car (but hey, not that often). The way my car looks is important to me, & like it when other people appreciate the effort I've put into it.

On the other hand, I'm tearing up & down the old pac whenever I can & driving my car pretty hard whenever I drive it, and I've done a bit of work on the suspension & I've got a turbo motor and more suspension mods on the way, & I also enjoy hearing people tell me how well my car goes along twisty roads, even though it is just a 1600 N/A.
So what category do I fit in? Modifier or ricer? Or maybe I'm just the absolute worst of the lot, I'm a mongrel crossbreed, a RICIFIER! Evil or Very Mad

As for the origins of the term "ricer", that's an interesting one.
From what I'm aware, it comes from the Aussie slang "rice burner" which was a phrase for a Japanese car. I believe it originated back in the day when our country was over run with ubeaut' yank influenced tanks with massive engines that drank the petrol like it was free. Along comes a fuel crisis, followed closely by the importing of Japanese cars, with their tiny little bodies & tiny little but mega economical engines to match, and then add in the Aussie ability to come up with bizarre nicknames, & there you have it.
Hey, if it doesn't use much fuel, it must be burning something else. Confused
Over the years the term eveoled into what it is today.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Thu, 14 August 2003 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as always, the difference is in taste

I think your car is tastefully done. I might call a lot of show cars "rice", but I still admire them and crack a woody Very Happy
rice done tastefully is great. rice done badly is awful.

nothing else really to say about this, as it all comes down to what each individual classes as rice, and whether they like it or not.

ps - one of those 100 members and proud of it Smile
swankiedude
Regular

March 2003

Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Thu, 14 August 2003 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BigWorm: I think we should call you "mum". You know all the right things to say but now all you need to do is go around giving everyone cuddles and putting snoopy bandaids on their sores to make them feel all better.

I have been thinking about joining the Toymods club for a while now but with people flinging shit around like this, im not sure I want to. Im not a fan of sprintas, old school celicas but they can look quite nice andI will give credit to those who have spent time and money building them. BigWorm, TurboRA28 and a few other have gone and put time and effort into their cars and they look good so I will give them credit for it and respect the car for what it is and the person for doing the work. Im 23 and drive a AE92 seca and have every intention of putting a full bodykit, lowering it (not to low) having a nice stainless exhaust and even have plans for a wide bodykit with 18x8 rims and possibly even a rear wing (yes I am the devils right hand man for doing this) with keeping the stock engine for now until I can get a little bit of money together for a 3STGE conversion. If this makes me a "ricer" the thats what I will be but I will build my car for me and to my taste. Thats what modifying is all about.

I dont like cars with stickers all over it for stuff they dont have in the car and I really dont like Excels, lancers, GTi swifts and gemini's but there are people that do and if they are going to put alot of time and money into them then I will give them my respect even if I dont like what they have done.

Thats just my 2c worth
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Fri, 15 August 2003 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just to prop up the club thing - toymods is a GREAT club and has a real close knit feel about it

most of people ive met who are actual toymods members have been awesome to me - perfect example is when i came up to join on Dyno day - The guys like rod , anhar , danny , george and a few of the others who put up with me perstering them were very tolerant - and ive recieved so much useful info on my GT4 modifications , and previous to that , my ta22 mechanicals rebuild then i would have ben able to find out for myself .. Dont disrespect toymods - they ARE worth joining .

As for rice - once again - its pure all show no go .. Some kits on cars look awesome , as do bigger wheels - suspension swaps etc , BUT a kid who goes and buys - for example - a lancer - spends 10 grand on a bodykit and wheels , Chops the springs - but leaves the rest of the suspension stock , then goes off and puts a cannon on the stock exhaust system , then expects it to be faster than a formula one car - and draw in more ladies than a pheremone fight in a diamond ring factory is a ricer .. they use the car as a fashion extension .

A GENUINE enthusiast will build up their car - with similar kits + wheels etc BUT they also do things like rebuilding or replacing the motor for more performance or drivability , swapping the FULL exhaust system to actually utilise flow benifits , puts on an air induction that Efficiently draws in COLD air into the motor to improve power + so on , then goes on to tweak the suspension to handle BETTER than the stock factory example using PROPER lowered springs with proper sport's type suspension components , resulting in a car that looks better , drives better , utilises its powerband more efficiently and that can be. either that or they will lovingly restore to original or as near to it as possible creating rolling works of art of which both can be THOROUGHLY enjoyed as a daily driver/weekend fun toy etc ..

they will also join clubs like toymods to talk about and enjoy their cars and hobby with others who have similar interests.. That in my oppinion distances most of us here on this forum from the " ricer " image

A hoon on the other hand IMHO will go out - just to do doughnuts and cause trouble on the roads , endangering other people on the roads at the same time - illegal Street drifters/drag racers and louts all fit into this category - if you want to go and create havoc and slip slide drag or fuck about - theres a lovely safe place for it called a RACE TRACK!..theres special people there called medics who can repair you if you screw up - and you dont take other innocent drivers with you to a painful dead type place

biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Fri, 15 August 2003 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think car modifying nowadays has gone more the way of "Style over subtance" (Rice) rather than years ago, when it was the other way 'round...You'd pull up at the lights next to a 60's model Valiant (complete with rust etc), only to be owned, as the 440cu in V8 disappeared into the distance...

I'm not a modifier in the "true" sense of the word; I didn't do all the work on either of my cars...partially because I have very little time/patience or tools etc, and partially because I don't know a lot of people (personally, I mean) who could/would help on such a project.

That said, I still drive 2 modified cars, and the "order of works" may give a clue as to my inclination in the Style Vs Subtance" debate...
For the Corolla, we had a 100KW 4AG installed, along with extractors and exhaust and...that's it! It's still externally dead stock, and will remain so. The Cressida was a bit different, as we were doing this up as a car we could see clients in (for our Mortgage Brokerage business - Advertised now on these forums Very Happy ), and also so we could do the long trips etc in it...It has nice suspension, 17" rims, BIG brakes, a decent stereo with good speakers, and amp and a sub...Oh, and a 1UZ-FE V8 up front. So, what was done first? That's right, the V8 conversion was the FIRST thing done to the car...In fact, we drove it, on it's first decent trip, to Bathurst last year. It had just had the V8 conversion finished and engineered and was still running around as an otherwise bog-standard car, including 15" rims.

I see the the "rice mobiles" around, and am unimpressed...Putting stickers all over a car, and a loud exhaust, do NOT make a performance vehicle. IMHO, these are the hallmarks of someone who wishes he/she could own a performance car, but has neither the money/skills to do so.

I saw a Lancer the other day, done the way I would do one of these...It was all white, and was lowered with a tasteful set of 17" rims, also in white. It had the clear tail-lights and a small factory spoiler on the boot...and that was it! Nice, clean and subtle - and importantly, not pretending to be something it wasn't...

Just my 2c (Acually, more like $2, given the length of the post Razz )

Sorry about said length...
hotrolla
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Fri, 15 August 2003 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think everyone should GET OVER the rice thing
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Fri, 15 August 2003 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I second that motion Cool
swankiedude
Regular

March 2003

Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Fri, 15 August 2003 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are some people out there who put loud exhausts and lowered or cut springs on their can and drive around like that are gods gift to the roads. That shits me but like I said, I will be lowering my car with proper lowered springs, put an exhaust through, full bodykit and have at least my 17's on. I will eventually get around to an engine conversion but I would much prefer to drive a car that looks nice than drive a car that goes like a rocket but looks shit. I would love to do an engine conversion now but due to insurance, I just simply cant afford it at the moment. I also have a baby daughter so going overly fast is really not an option but building a car that looks nice on the outside is within reach and insurance wont kill me. I really have no intention of driving around making my car out to be something its not but I dont think a bodykit gives off that impression, its how the person drives the car. So does any of this make me a ricer

By the way, any person who needs a car to impress women is really pathedic and should really take some time out and have a good look at themselves in the mirror.
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Fri, 15 August 2003 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My 2c.
Ricers tend to be OTT with the visual modifications. ie bodykits, stickers, excessive lowering.
I've modded my car with 2" lowered springs, but I've also change struts & added a rear swaybar (which has since broken my suspension), added a 2.5" exhaust with 4" chrome tip (the cutout in the bumper was 5", so I wanted to fill it) and my car has a 2L turbo diesel station wagon. Razz
Hardly a performance (in a straight line anyway) machine.
In the time I've been in the club, I reckon we tend to be more orientated on performance, whether that's straight line or cornering doesn't matter, and modifying our car's to achieve this.
I don't think anyone will dispute that we don't like good lookng cars, & respect those who take pride in the looks, it's just the OTT factor.
Swankiedude, I wouldn't call what you want to do to your car Rice (depending on the bodykit), most of what you've said you'd like to do would increase the performance, specially the 3S!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Fri, 15 August 2003 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll second the notion that ricers are ones that take the modification to beyond the point of nice. I'm all for a bodykit, or a nice set of wheels, or even detailing via accessories like steering wheels and gearknobs.

There is a limit though where it becomes doing it for the sake of doing it, not for any benefit. Huge wings and big chrome rims that detract from the handling and usefulness of the car to me are a waste of space. Tasteful bodykits that achieve something, or decent larger rims that reduce tyre sidewall and improve the contact patch I'm all for.

Case example yesterday when I rocked up to uni. Driving behind a guy in a Honda Integra Type R, a car praised for its handling in many a motoring magazine. This guy had lowered it to the point where the rear wheels were on a HUGE angle with mucho negative camber, to me, thats rice, doing it to the point where you ask the question... "Why the F**K would you bother?"

Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Fri, 15 August 2003 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Thu, 14 August 2003 16:10

95 % of us would fall into Modifiers
most of us ( except les and his fooly sic lancer * har har * ) come here to look for advice to make our cars better - or general directions on how to do jobs or conversions we are undertaking ..

hahahhaahha so so funny... BTW my next rice project is a na supra.. so eat ur heart out !

Laughing
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Fri, 15 August 2003 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
one visual image is all that is required...

19 springy hello kitty figures wobbling away on the dashboard, dwarfed by the massive mugen windshield sticker, and balanced by the 747 spoiler
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Fri, 15 August 2003 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
grinz les - its all good buddy - i wouldnt mind a NA jza80 to play with - they can look really nice with somehing like the factory trd 3000 bodykit + wheels .. That IMHO isnt rice at all - Now a veilside bodykit and a cessna strapped to the boot for wingage - well - yeah - ahem

on the supra front my bro is possibly looking at getting a jza80 twin turbo soon - what fun that will be ! he loves my gt4 ( he drives a tx3 atm ) but wants RWD with that sort of power + grip - so - SUPRA i told him !

Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Fri, 15 August 2003 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hello kittys + figurines on the dash !??!
ed... thats not rice.. thats just gay ! hahahaah

but classique.. a TT supra will set r bro back a shitload of dosh.. and lets not talk insurance !!!

N/A supra would be schweeeeeeeet but yeh a lil bit too much show and no gow
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Fri, 15 August 2003 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Hey, just have a look at my car, it's kinda screaming "LOOK THE FUCK AT ME!!!!"

My car's cover in sticker's too, and screams the same attention, so I'd have to be ricer too Laughing
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Fri, 15 August 2003 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
les re supra - hes looking at one of them or a xr6 turbo - so either way we'll see 30+ grand come from his pocket ..

still ither way its FUN time
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Fri, 15 August 2003 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, i know which i will take !!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy
cytribe
Regular

June 2003
Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Fri, 15 August 2003 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm with bigworm on this one. I see no problem in looking after your cars appearance as long as it's tastefull not tacky. I think by saying you don't like cars with all show and no go you're alienating a huge part of the car loving community. I think one huge thing you're overlooking is how rich or poor a modifier is. I would personally love to throw all the performance goodies at my car but I don't have the budget. I'd prefer to have a car that looks good and goes crap then a car that looks crap and goes ok, which is all I'd be able to afford anyway. I'll post a pic of my car soon and ask your expert panel whether you think it's rice or not Very Happy
Bandit
Regular

May 2002
Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Fri, 15 August 2003 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im going to stick up for the ricers a little here..... some of them actually know wot thier doing under the bonnet... and some just stand there holding a spanner scratching their heads......as you all know i have a Toyota Echo. Being that it as a new car it is very easily mistaken for rice.... but this is not the case.... when im able to i will try to squezze some more power out of her. starting with the air intake. Trying to source a K&N filter for it.... if anyone knows were i can get one let me know...any way back to the ricers. They make their cars look pretty because it is easy to do and in some cases wont stuff around with warranty or insurance....So the next time you see a ricer dont laugh just nod and remember you know better and are better. Cool
Mijbril
Regular

April 2003
Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Fri, 15 August 2003 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think, to settle what is & what isn't rice, we should meet up one Sunday afternoon on Parramatta Rd & go for a WALK down the road looking at all the cars in the yards for sale.

Everyone bring cameras & we can take pictures of the cars & then later post them for rice evaluation.
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

What it really means to be a Toymodder ! Fri, 15 August 2003 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is alot of suggestion in this thread about the views of Toymods. Bigworm summed it up really well but there is something I would like to ad on the Topic.

There are 3170 Registered users of this Forum, Toymods has 101 financial members. These 101 people are the true Toymodders and you will not find many of them in this thread !! I personally think of the Toymods forums members as our wider community.

The Toymods forums is a busy place and it sees ALOT of usage (In May alone we had over 5 Million Hits !) Because of this it is easy to forget Toymods is actually a car club, NOT a forum. We are a group of Toyota Enthusiasts who get together both online and in person to help each other out with all things Toyota and pretty much anything else.

I have been with Toymods a while now and we all have different ideas on whats nice and what car is best and what mods we wanna do. But we all share one veiwpoint in common. Respect for any car that someone has bother to put some effort into. And as for what class I fall into, I class myself as an enthusiast but hey I have chrome winscreen washers, Billet wheels, Momo gearknob and stearing wheel ad theres even a Koni badge on the back, and don't forget the pearl paint and the shift light so if that makes me a ricer so be it !

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What it really means to be a Toymodder ! Fri, 15 August 2003 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahh but the car also has a shit hot 2tg turbo on the way , a custom gearbox setup , a swapped diff and has the Go to match the looks rod ( when the motor ever gets done ) If you consider your car as ricey - im sorry rod , but ill have to confiscate it for the greater good of the toymods community * chuckle *

I think the nice or rice photo run would be a fun idea .

Re the financial members vs forum members thing - i mentioned that too - the guys who are actualy IN the toymods club - juts not forum users - all seem to be " enthusiasts" and a majority of forum community seems to share that view
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Sat, 16 August 2003 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Who is a ricer and what is a ricer? well i'm not into cars being all done up for show as i like the plain nice looking cars are cars with no interior at all such as race cars, so there for i will look at any car thats had a body kit put on it and say its rice but i might just mean that in the same way as calling my mate gay when he has his girl friend standing right there next to him, i'm sure we all know about calling our mates or other people gay even when we know there not, we do it just for the sake of saying the word.
which is the same for ricer,

look at the cars on Fast and the Furious, i call them rice simply because so much has been done to the outside of them, yet they arn't truly rice as they have had a lot done under the bonnet as well.

i guess the word "rice" has just become a common word we use to describe anyone thats has put stickers or a body kit on their car.

but the only real rice cars out there are the ones which have had a half ass job done to them so you know they are trying to make the car look good but instead made it look worse "in my eyes"

show cars or cars that have been stripped down to a shell and rebuilt to show spec i wouldn't class as rice as they have put thousands of dollars into it and done a fantastic job.

yet the bloke down the street who tries to do the same thing but only spends $500 and makes it look dodgy as. and now thinks everyone will like his fully sick car then that is rice.

I'd love to go and put a Detomaso Charade Body Kit on my car as they look fucking awsome "i mean the original production built Detomaso Charade Kit" but i would not be able to bring myself to doing it as i can't put something like that on my car without the performance to match.

we can't really complain about other peoples views and opionions as if we all had the exact same tasts and likes then it would be a very boring world, there's nothing wrong with speaking out and saying your point of view.

Its only a problem when you direct those views in an insulting way at a particular person.

whats the old saying

"Horses for Courses"

and i don't see how anyone can look at this thread and honestly decide not to join the Toymods club because of it. there is nothing wrong with showing how you feel and speaking your mind.

its all good unless we make it personal, thats when we get the problems.

I've only been to one event that was organised on this Forum and that was one I organised myself where we went down wisemans ferry ect, few turned up and sure there was cars that showed up that i didn't really like and one or two that i thought were buckets of shit but hey "thats just my opinion" but that doesn't matter as we were all there for one reason and had one thing in common, we loved our cars, we loved working on them, we loved doing them up in our own way and we loved driving them, and thats what a Club is all about.

A Club is a group of people that all have differant opionions and views on Topics yet we all have one thing in Common and thats our love for modified cars HOWEVER THEY ARE MODIFIED.

and not one thing that is said in this thread can change the fact we are all people that love cars. and thats what this club is all about so anything else that is said on the Forum is pointless and means nothing because in the end it just comes down to the CAR's.

Sorry if this is hard to understand and hard to read, English isn't my strong point Razz

[Updated on: Sat, 16 August 2003 04:01]

Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Sat, 16 August 2003 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't see the point in going out and buying a Lancer (example) putting on a fully sick kit, chrome rims, oversized zorst and shit thinking its gonna be quick when what they'd spent coulda actually bought them a semi quick car.... whats the point??

speaking of excessive body kits, whats everyone think of those jap vans???

as for "thetoyman75"'s comment, at the moment im a Subaru owner (well i have access to the old mans ute, but thats not really mine), if/when i get the mr2 i probably will join.
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Sat, 16 August 2003 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pointing at someone and calling their car rice is just as discrimintory as stereotyping due to race.

theres dickheads in every demographic. i prefer to say "that <insert part type> dumb" or "stupid"

eg.

That double decker rear wing on that excel is plain stupid.

or

Having two tachos and shift light on that automatic car is beyond my comprehension.

I'm sick of peoples dicketry. Half the posts in this thread have contridicted themselves, and you have all basically pointed your fingers at each other declaring your boarderline "non-riceyness" (not intentionally).
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Sat, 16 August 2003 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
speakafreaka wrote on Sat, 16 August 2003 18:50

pointing at someone and calling their car rice is just as discrimintory as stereotyping due to race.

theres dickheads in every demographic. i prefer to say "that <insert part type> dumb" or "stupid"

eg.

That double decker rear wing on that excel is plain stupid.

or

Having two tachos and shift light on that automatic car is beyond my comprehension.

I'm sick of peoples dicketry. Half the posts in this thread have contridicted themselves, and you have all basically pointed your fingers at each other declaring your boarderline "non-riceyness" (not intentionally).

I'm happy for anyone to "pick apart" my post (above), should they feel so inclined...(This assumes that said poster actually has a VALID argument...)
nup_4ac
Occasional Poster

August 2002
Re: What the deal with you fella and 'ricers' ? Sat, 16 August 2003 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Geeez this is getting out of hand,
rice, which was bastardised from riceboy, which also was once used on these forums, now seems to be a catchcry for anyone who doesnt like something.

"you have <insert brand here> mags? thats so rice, you should get these ones!" where it used to be, "i dont like that sort of thing", if you dont like something BOOM its rice. if you say you do like it, damn ricer!

it wasnt an australian word, but like most things rice related, from america

want to more??
http://riceboypage.com

this site has been around for ages! and should explain everything, so everyone should know whats what and whos who.

[Updated on: Sat, 16 August 2003 16:29]

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic
Previous Topic:2J power upgrade - 1200hp kit
Next Topic:rwd inlet manifold and exhaust manifold
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 03:44:11 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0086989402770996 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.