Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Members Rides » Toobs' & The Witzl's *spare* car PMP-80Y, TURBO AE-71 (5) 1 Vote(s)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
soulfire
Regular

May 2004

Re: Toobs' & The Witzl's *spare* car.... AE-71 Thu, 06 January 2005 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Thu, 06 January 2005 18:07

THE WITZL wrote on Thu, 06 January 2005 10:24

This is how the aristo 2jzgte intercooler was fitted:

http://www.witzl.com/pmp80y/turbo/intercooler-fit-01.jpg

I'm sure the original owner of the aristo cooler would like the extensive and dodgy use of "brackets"!

THE WITZL wrote on Thu, 06 January 2005 10:24

well i have a boosted engine now

Correction: "We have a boosted engine now"

Caution: PMP-80Y constantly sideways
  Send a private message to this user    
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Toobs' & The Witzl's *spare* car.... AE-71 Thu, 06 January 2005 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah - you own the non-boosted part now Razz
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Toobs' & The Witzl's *spare* car.... AE-71 Fri, 07 January 2005 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Fri, 07 January 2005 10:27

nah - you own the non-boosted part now Razz

Actually I own 50% of the turbo and manifold etc... you just own the rice bits like the tacho, blow up valve, bling bling blue silicon pipes etc. Razz

PS I'm taking my ST205 steering wheel back so have fun driving with a pair of multigrips Twisted Evil
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Toobs' & The Witzl's *spare* car PMP-80Y, TURBO AE-71 Fri, 07 January 2005 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well *some* tuning was done earlier today.

THere is a problem with the knock sensor signal - the ECU is randomly retarding ignition timing such that every power run on the dyno gave different results!!

Best result of the day was ~116kW at the wheels at actuator pressure (9psi).

If the knock sensor problem can be sorted, then further tuning will add a little more boost and ignition advance and see how things go.

http://www.witzl.com/pmp80y/turbo/completed-01.jpg

http://www.witzl.com/pmp80y/turbo/completed-02.jpg
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Toobs' & The Witzl's *spare* car PMP-80Y, TURBO AE-71 Fri, 07 January 2005 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Let me be the first to say

GOOD TIMES
Teddy_Csx
Regular

On Probation

January 2004
Re: Toobs' & The Witzl's *spare* car PMP-80Y, TURBO AE-71 Fri, 07 January 2005 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
116 at the wheels - very impressive for a 4A Surprised Very Happy

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Toobs' & The Witzl's *spare* car PMP-80Y, TURBO AE-71 Sat, 08 January 2005 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah, 180kW with a slipping clutch is impressive. THis is just amusingly fun!!
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Toobs' & The Witzl's *spare* car PMP-80Y, TURBO AE-71 Sat, 08 January 2005 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Sat, 08 January 2005 12:28

nah, 180kW with a slipping clutch is impressive. THis is just amusingly fun!!

Did you get a copy of the job sheet from dyno dave?
where he lists something like:
Changed spark plugs
Reset timing
Laughed A Lot!
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Toobs' & The Witzl's *spare* car PMP-80Y, TURBO AE-71 Sat, 08 January 2005 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
f<ck yeah!!

Good to hear it's running boys. You're gonna have a whoooole lotta fun Very Happy
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Toobs' & The Witzl's *spare* car PMP-80Y, TURBO AE-71 Sat, 08 January 2005 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha thats awesome! why diddnt you just unplug the knock sensor and bridge it?? its only a little knock Razz in fact it was probhably your diff knocking so hard the engine sensor picked it up Shocked

any chance of getting the dyno sheet up??
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Toobs' & The Witzl's *spare* car PMP-80Y, TURBO AE-71 Sun, 09 January 2005 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there was no dyno sheet. i can ask tomorrow, but from what i understand that was just the best result of the day whilst he was tuning, and there was never really a clean power run.

as for the knock - no you cant unplug it. The ECU shits itself and brings timing ALL THE WAY BACK, so its not going to work that way. I;m going to try a 3sgte knock sensor i have hanging around here.
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Toobs' & The Witzl's *spare* car PMP-80Y, TURBO AE-71 Sun, 09 January 2005 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you bridge the sense wire the ecu will still run, its only looking for the signal so if you show a steady signal of resistance above knock value it will think all is good pull the sensor out of the block and earth it if you want an easier way to do it that way it wont pick up any knock freq

[Updated on: Sun, 09 January 2005 02:47]

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Toobs' & The Witzl's *spare* car PMP-80Y, TURBO AE-71 Mon, 10 January 2005 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

if you bridge the sense wire the ecu will still run, its only looking for the signal so if you show a steady signal of resistance above knock value it will think all is good pull the sensor out of the block and earth it if you want an easier way to do it that way it wont pick up any knock freq

Ant Kellam is working on something, and i dont know if this is it. I did some reading on what the knock sensor actually is and does, and i dont know that a simple resistor will work, and the knock sensor is actually a peizoelectric driver, hence gives a varying frequency signal.

When/if i have a solution, believe me it will be posted.
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Toobs' & The Witzl's *spare* car PMP-80Y, TURBO AE-71 Mon, 10 January 2005 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You could just pull the knock sensor out of the block and put it somewhere else while it is still plugged in.

Disclaimer:
I do not recommend this and would not even mention it around any car other than the infamous pump boy.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Toobs' & The Witzl's *spare* car PMP-80Y, TURBO AE-71 Mon, 10 January 2005 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes its true, this car is one big bandaid.

p.s. anyone got a 2nd hand standalone ecu they want to donate to the cause??
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Toobs' & The Witzl's *spare* car PMP-80Y, TURBO AE-71 Sun, 16 January 2005 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dyno graph!!

116.1kW is pretty good considering thats a 67% gain, on 10psi (0.7bar boost).

http://www.twincam.org/forums/uploads/post-4-1105868581.jpg
Anthony Kellam
Regular

July 2002
Re: Toobs' & The Witzl's *spare* car PMP-80Y, TURBO AE-71 Tue, 18 January 2005 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

From my testing, the sensors pick up more "knocking" when relocated than when in the engine block. I even tried earthing the sensor with a battery cable on the mounting post and isolating it in foam within the bay - more knocking than any other test.

BTW, testing was done with a snapon graphing scanner being used to indicate knock condition on a blacktop 20 V ECU.

Seems the only way to do it is to attenuate the signal somehow. Seems some WRX drivers have had very similar problems with their (DENSO) setups and they have managed to attenuate it a bit.

Earlier ECU's may be easier to trick but the later ones arent just looking for a "bad" signal... they are also constantly looking for a "good" one.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Toobs' & The Witzl's *spare* car PMP-80Y, TURBO AE-71 Tue, 18 January 2005 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
of course the problem there would be figuring out what the ecu is looking for!

ill do some measuring of the KNOCK sensor output and see what happens up at those RPM levels... unless you want to jump in the car with your snapon scanner ant?
AEeightysix
Regular

January 2004
Re: Toobs' & The Witzl's *spare* car PMP-80Y, TURBO AE-71 Tue, 18 January 2005 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it would seem that the knocking is a pretty big problem. a friend of mine has an ae92 sx seca and cranked the ignition timing to just over 14 deg BTDC and it gave heaps better throttle response. unfortunately a bad batch of fuel saw a head gasket discintegrate between the 3rd and 4th pistons. you should have a check on the timing and the fuel quality before questioning the knock sensor, try throwing a bottle of octane in. a stock computer should handle a turbo on a modest amount of boost. its worth a try. anyway good luck.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Toobs' & The Witzl's *spare* car PMP-80Y, TURBO AE-71 Wed, 19 January 2005 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you are a little behind me there.... and seem to have missed a lot of what has happened.

base timing is ~8-10deg BTDC
timing is further retarded up on boost thanks to the tuning done via the emanage.
The engine sometimes knocks, but still retards timing when it is not knocking, and does so randomly. It cannot be tuned out because the GZE ecu takes control of the timing TOO HEAVILY when the knock circuit starts butting in.

Believe me just about all other options are exhausted.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Toobs' & The Witzl's *spare* car PMP-80Y, TURBO AE-71 Tue, 05 April 2005 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well i sure have been lazy and not updated this thread for a while!!

Basic story since the conversion was done.

# 116.9kW at the wheels, Dyno Day 10 (graph should be above somwhere)
# Went to WSID off street drags on 16th Feb and ran a best of 14.114 @ 94mph
# Had some fun with the car for a little while, and then my Crown landed and got regoed.
# Pulled the turbo bits off and sold them 2nd April. They now reside with "Big T" who is going to turboficate his AE86 coupe. NICE.

[B]The car will be returning to it's NA 4age 100kW glory very soon, and will be available to buy at $3000.[/B[/B]]

Visit http://www.witzl.com/pmp80y for some piccies and shite.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Toobs' & The Witzl's *spare* car PMP-80Y, TURBO AE-71 Tue, 05 April 2005 03:26 Go to previous message
wtf happened to that post above!??!
Pages (6): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Mikeys SW20 MR2
Next Topic:My 1989 ST162 Celica SX UPDATED! - Rims on as of 25/2/05
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 08:18:17 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0074038505554199 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.