Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » semi-autos?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
0zwilly
Occasional Poster

June 2002

semi-autos? Fri, 12 July 2002 17:02 Go to next message
I've got an idea, but seems anybody have knowledge to make it comes true
as I know, most toyota auto gearboxes are 'electronic controlled'
can the electronics be override to make it become semi-auto?

cheers Neutral
  Send a private message to this user    
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: semi-autos? Fri, 12 July 2002 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep, i have done it, 3 wires out of the auto 2 controll the gears one controlls the torque converter lock up, unfortunately everytime i post how todo it some mongrel changes the forums software!

3 wires out the back of the auto on most of the A3040LE autos (ones that dont have electronic line pressure control anyway)

If i get any of these color codes wrong someone please correct me

White: 1-2 shift
Yellow: 2-3 shift
Black: torque converter lock up

with shifter in Drive applying power to the white wire gives you first gear, applying power to both white and yellow gives you 2nd gear, applying power to only yellow gives you 3rd gear, with no power applyed you have 4th gear.

you can get a rotary action switch from jaycar for all of about $7 and with a bit of soldering you have your semi auto (fit some 4004 diodes to the switch to stop back emf from the solnoids in the auto)

only problem with the rotary switch is ya get some guy look at your car and thay go for 5th gear and murder your switch!

http://home.useoz.com/~allanlangford/automanulashift.JPG

Allan

[Updated on: Fri, 12 July 2002 23:55]

manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

icon14.gif  Re: semi-autos? Sat, 13 July 2002 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah im gonna be doing the same thing to my 1g-gte.....when i get it that is.

Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: semi-autos? Mon, 15 July 2002 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan, would this work on an A340E box in a Soarer ?
Any additional wiring help would be appreciated... mostly the position and direction of the diodes (I have a few 4004 spare).
Where would I look on the box for the wires ? Under the console where it connect to the computer is my guess, but I have an absolute tonne of wiring under there. The joys of a hi-tech Jap car.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: semi-autos? Mon, 15 July 2002 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Soarer wrote on Mon, 15 July 2002 10:53 AM

Allan, would this work on an A340E box in a Soarer ?
Any additional wiring help would be appreciated... mostly the position and direction of the diodes (I have a few 4004 spare).
Where would I look on the box for the wires ? Under the console where it connect to the computer is my guess, but I have an absolute tonne of wiring under there. The joys of a hi-tech Jap car.

it should but i dont have a soarer to find out on, i do suggest you do not undertake this without a basic electronics knolage, and there are many different A340's Sad

Allan
KDog
Regular

July 2002
Re: semi-autos? Thu, 18 July 2002 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes this can be done on a Soarer.
I have a small controller which makes the A341E tiptronic. Push a button you go up a gear press another button you go down a gear. This controller also changes the accumulator pressure so your changes will be much faster and not as smooth. If this doesn't bother you then it should be fine. I don't know yet if removing the ECU control of the gearbox will effect the ECU. I don't think it will as you can still send the ECU info about which gear you are in.
I originally designed the controller for my 1UZFE so I could still use the auto when using an Autronic to control the engine.

If you want one send me an email. I have wiring diagrams for the soarer so hooking it up shouldn't be too much of a problem.
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: semi-autos? Thu, 18 July 2002 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can i ask a question? why do you want an Auto gear box anyway? you take all the fun out of driving, the slaming it into gears the downchanging for corners and so forth you get an auto and your taking the skill out of driving.
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: semi-autos? Thu, 18 July 2002 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Find me a manual 1995 Soarer TT for the price I paid for my auto, and you'll understand why I have an auto.
It wasn't out of choice, but availability.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: semi-autos? Fri, 19 July 2002 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GIN51E wrote on Thu, 18 July 2002 3:01 PM

Can i ask a question? why do you want an Auto gear box anyway? you take all the fun out of driving, the slaming it into gears the downchanging for corners and so forth you get an auto and your taking the skill out of driving.

can do all that with a modern auto! use the shifter luke! clutch pedals just put your back out thats it

autos are so much nicer for when your not wanting to thrash the ass out of your car!

Allan
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: semi-autos? Sat, 20 July 2002 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
auto's are only good for when your in crawling traffic otherwise you just get bored driving along even when your not thrashing its still gives you something to do going through the gears and plus how the hell can pushing a clutch pedal put your back out? hows it any different to pushing the gas pedal or brake pedal? can you please explain that one to me?
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: semi-autos? Sat, 20 July 2002 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Look its not like we wanted autos OK!
(price and availability having a big part in it for the most of us)

What we are trying to do is make the best of what we have!
(cuts us some slack ay!)

Cheers
Wilbo
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: semi-autos? Sat, 20 July 2002 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i've already heard that and fair enough if its all you could get but you always then have an option of going out and finding a manual to drop into it i just want to know what kind of an excuse that the clutch pedal puts your back out!

and i guess what i just think is pathetic is when you see some guy cruizing in his fat car with his nice big monster tacho and shift light and its an AUTO honestly those guys out there with shift lights in auto's are simply asking for shit.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: semi-autos? Sat, 20 July 2002 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GIN51E wrote on Sat, 20 July 2002 6:01 PM

and i guess what i just think is pathetic is when you see some guy cruizing in his fat car with his nice big monster tacho and shift light and its an AUTO honestly those guys out there with shift lights in auto's are simply asking for shit.

Umm, Dude have you been in an auto? Do you know that you can manually shift from 1st to 2nd to 3rd?
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: semi-autos? Sat, 20 July 2002 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
really can you do that? then if its that easy why doesn't everyone put an auto gear box into there rally car? maybe you should contact possum bourne and let him know about that fantastic idea!
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: semi-autos? Sat, 20 July 2002 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good idea! I might do that!

Dummm shmuck............
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: semi-autos? Sat, 20 July 2002 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shmuck.... i like your good old Brisbane lingo, try using a word that actually has a definition next time.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: semi-autos? Sat, 20 July 2002 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah ok, I'll take that in mind ya Lipstick Wearing Feltch Monkey!
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: semi-autos? Sat, 20 July 2002 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gee your pulling them all out tonight arn't ya mate... thats a good one *clap* *clap* *clap* braaaavooooooooooooo
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: semi-autos? Sat, 20 July 2002 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ummm Laughing How about the good ol Beavis and Butthead favoutes? You "BungHole"
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: semi-autos? Sat, 20 July 2002 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh yes how can you forget our beloved beavis and butthead
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: semi-autos? Sat, 20 July 2002 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shuddup butt munch
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: semi-autos? Sat, 20 July 2002 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would like some more t p for my bunghole!
Helmann
Regular

July 2002
Re: semi-autos? Sat, 20 July 2002 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually autos usually have better take off than manuals. This has been proven time and again by the good ol powerglide drag cars. Besides, put in a stage 3 shift kit and a mega shifter and u got yourself a manual without the need to use your left foot. You could even make some wheel mounted buttons and make yourself a semi auto with paddles like the 355 ferarri!
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: semi-autos? Sat, 20 July 2002 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you look at all the specs on a standard auto gear box and they use more fuel and are slower, they might have the jump at the start except when changing from gear to gear they either change to early or to late and its not a very quick change either, its all proven that manuals are better as thats what they opt for in motorsport now if auto's were better they would be using them the only forms of motor sport where they use auto's is drag racing which are running a gear box nothing like one you find in a road car and in formula one and the World Rally Cars is where you find the semi auto sequential gear boxes and they are closer to be a manual gear box then an auto, they act and behave just like a manual except theres no clutch.
Helmann
Regular

July 2002
Re: semi-autos? Sun, 21 July 2002 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That is exactly right. Semi autos are the box of chioce for the best racing. Not manuals. I sugested turning an auto into a semi auto. And put a shift kit in an auto and it will change quicker than any human ever could. And if you look at the construction of a semi auto you will find that it is almost identical to an auto.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: semi-autos? Sun, 21 July 2002 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OOoohhh... someone likes shifting their own gears Up To Something

Thing is, both auto and manual trans cars have a purpose. If you like manuals so much, you should be DISCOURAGING people from buying them, so theres more for the rest of us Nod

Anyway, both can be good fun. In standard form, (most!) auto's are pretty painful (e.g. can anyone say v6 commodore? something like that?), but then again standard manuals can be a bit lame too, often fitted with clunky/overly long gearshifts and piss weak clutches. (before anyone tries to bite my noggin off, I know there are SOME notable exceptions to that!)

But then they joy of driving a manual is a decent gearshift (or a sequential one!), a fairly bitey clutch and an engine that likes to rev (especially a smaller engine). Then again, go for a ride in an auto car with shift kit, high stall converter, etc., and discover what its like to get a big smack in the guts every gearchange, or the effortless joys of nice easy sideways slides at any given moment.

Granted, I generally prefer a manual (can't afford a sequential box and I'm not really into drag racing + I don't drive a falcon Confused ), but everything has a place...
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: semi-autos? Sun, 21 July 2002 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
correct me if im wrong but a semi-auto can do everything a manual can do, but quicker ???.....minus burnout capabilities...

Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: semi-autos? Sun, 21 July 2002 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
autos are better for burnouts aslong as you fit a good trans cooler, autos are also kinder on the driveline (most of the time) and also do not try to push the crank forward everytime you put your foot on the clutch, as for puting you back out if you drive alot you will notice you use the clutch more then anything else and its allways full travel its also a lot heavyer then the acel causes your lower spine to twist truck drivers and delivery drivers suffer most you will notice most buses are autos and a lot of new trucks are comeing with auto transmisions.

the problems with autos where fixed back in 1979 with the lock-up torque converter (for toyota the MkI supra the 2nd car behind merc to have a 4 speed auto with lock up torque converter)

the main reasons autos in most cars today are lazy is thats what the market wants if everyone enjoyed neck snaping engine braking and hard shifts there would not be a clutch pedal in any car, only a T-Bar! those of you who knock autos go jump in any post 86 toyota with a A340 auto trans(MkIII supra, 7m-ge powered cressida or soarer) pull it back into 1st floor it then while floored drop it into 2nd then drive then come back and tell me its not as good as a manual!

Allan

Can the admin please trim the stupid post whores crap from this otherwise serious threed!
Helmann
Regular

July 2002
Re: semi-autos? Sun, 21 July 2002 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just brought a early model soarer front cut with an auto transmision. 1G-GTE engine. What is the gearbox model?
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: semi-autos? Sun, 21 July 2002 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i've driven an auto Prado, auto 84 model 323, auto 94 model 626, auto 81 model cresida, auto 81 model volvo and once i get back into a manual i get a nice big smile on my face, now weather thats because its a manual or i get to play with a knob who knows except all i do know is i prefer it. as for saying old auto's are great well the cresida is a shitta slow reaction time and it wont shift into 2nd gear until the engine has all warmed up, auto's break more often yes they have more movng parts but you can't say they are as strong as a manual, a sequential gear box in a world rally car is nothing like the sequential gear box in those road coming versions like the magna sports for example, all its doing is what you are talking about at the begining of this message board about being able to switch gears thats it a gear box in a formula one or world rally car all have clutches they have to use the clutches EXCEPT during an actual gear change where all the system does is flat change the gear extreemly quickly if they jump on the break they still have to push the good old little pedal in called the break or in the case of formula one pull back the padel on the bottom of the steering wheel, you can't sit there in first waiting to go without having the clutch in so to me i think that means those so called "auto's" in race cars are actually more like a manual then an auto.

We can go on about this as long as you guys want to but i'm sorry its just one of those things where nothing will change the way i feel i'll always vote number one for manual and always believe that it should be against the law to bring out high performance cars such as a wrx with an auto option.

My name Martin, and thats my two cents Razz
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: semi-autos? Sun, 21 July 2002 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yup before you make any comments yes i fucked up.
"if they jump on the break they still have to push the good old little pedal in called the break or in the case of "

i see whats wrong with this section of what i wrote
amd i should have typed clutch instead of break.
sorry about that.
stonz
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: semi-autos? Sun, 21 July 2002 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kdog said it all when talking about auto verses manual

"never argue with an idiot,they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

if you are arguing the merits of auto v's manual - keep it to your selves - its just "dumbing" down the forum!!

i spent many 1000$$$ on a tricked up auto for racing.
once bitten twice shy - faster in a straight line sure and thats all folks

dave
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: semi-autos? Sun, 21 July 2002 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think just about everyone towards the bottem of this thread is missing the point!
The guys at the top of this thread have autos because thats all they could get or afford!
No one was saying that autos/manuals are better!
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: semi-autos? Sun, 21 July 2002 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think just about everyone towards the bottem of this thread is missing the point!
The guys at the top of this thread have autos because thats all they could get or afford!
No one was saying that autos/manuals are better!
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: semi-autos? Sun, 21 July 2002 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GIN51E wrote on Sun, 21 July 2002 9:36 AM

you look at all the specs on a standard auto gear box and they use more fuel and are slower, they might have the jump at the start except when changing from gear to gear they either change to early or to late and its not a very quick change either, its all proven that manuals are better as thats what they opt for in motorsport now if auto's were better they would be using them the only forms of motor sport where they use auto's is drag racing which are running a gear box nothing like one you find in a road car and in formula one and the World Rally Cars is where you find the semi auto sequential gear boxes and they are closer to be a manual gear box then an auto, they act and behave just like a manual except theres no clutch.

Motorsport.... Rally...... drag racing......

We are on the road. Sorry, I had to get the realistic perspective back in here.

It's not all totally about making a motorsport specc'ed car.

I could say more, but I won't.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: semi-autos? Sun, 21 July 2002 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i really feel like shareing info that i gathered stuffing around with those autos only to have people come in and shitcan the lot without knowing anything just bumping there post count up.

Allan
0zwilly
Occasional Poster

June 2002

Re: semi-autos? Sun, 21 July 2002 18:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys, I'm the one who post this.
honestly I also love manuals, but the fact is,
I'm a poor oversea student
I paid $1800 for a MX73 cressida
unfortunately the auto was not working properly
expectly when it is cold......
jump from 3rd gear, to 4th, but suddenly abck to 3rd, 4th, 3rd.....
I don't want to spend another grand for just the other type of transmission.....but I want to over ride the management of the gearbox....besides having a semi-auto is a bonus to a poor student....better to paid $30k up for a magna sports....

thx for your suggestions
KDog
Regular

July 2002
Re: semi-autos? Sun, 21 July 2002 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For those of you that have A341e/A342E (same gearbox different overdrive ratio) the controller should be ready in another 2 weeks. I assume it will also work with the A340e I will do some looking into it and ghet back to you. It provides a nice quick gearchange whenever you want it, especially with wide open throttle.
stevevp
Regular

May 2002
Re: semi-autos? Wed, 24 July 2002 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kdog,

Let me know when you get it sorted

stevevp@bigpond.com
mx83toy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: semi-autos? Fri, 26 July 2002 12:01 Go to previous message
i love the auto the mx83 had i just about always felt great...these toyota auto's are very very well designed and are great for an every day driver, it comes down to preference though...my chaser box has a manual mode which allows you to select the gear when you like which should be cool....but yeah both systems are cool ps go to war stories go to the mega cruize and check out the viv of thunderbird1 taking off then come back and tell me if the auto cressida you drove is like lukes one Laughing but still yeah sometimes i love diving manual but after driving the litle charade around for a few hours i find my self cursing it to hell and start getting my G/F to change gears for me Smile but yeah everyone to thier own
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE86 vs TA22 front struts
Next Topic:Fuel pump for 18RGU- EFI
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 00:54:06 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.007404088973999 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.