Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Statts
Regular

September 2002

My little engine conversion Wed, 17 September 2003 00:21 Go to next message
Well, save for a few interior tidy-ups and a big hole where the gearshifter used to be, the car is now on the road. Let me know what you think, even if you hate it cos it's cross-breeding (as so many have criticised me for already)

http://www.pbase.com/image/21414561
http://www.pbase.com/image/21361286
http://www.pbase.com/image/21361424
http://www.pbase.com/image/21361489
http://www.pbase.com/image/21361555
http://www.pbase.com/image/21361595
http://www.pbase.com/image/21414547

Chris
  Send a private message to this user    
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: My little engine conversion Wed, 17 September 2003 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks like it was meant to be there! Very neat! Shame about the bastardisation. Very Happy

That thing must be a weapon!!! Congrats dude!
fj20
Regular

June 2002
Re: My little engine conversion Wed, 17 September 2003 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi
Great looking Conversion. They make a good combo Nissan powered Toyota's. Smile
-Regards Mike
http://www.fj20.com/
cam_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
haha, funny little head!
Re: My little engine conversion Wed, 17 September 2003 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm not totally up with the nissan engines. Is that an SR20DET?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: My little engine conversion Wed, 17 September 2003 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wow, nice work!! certainly looks the goods!!

quick Q, where'd you get that little fuse holder (with all the red wires coming out of it)
(in http://www.pbase.com/image/21361376) looks very handy.
oh, and all your other shiny bits look good too Wink
Cya, Stewart
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: My little engine conversion Wed, 17 September 2003 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hate to think how fast that car is. Very Happy awesome. shame you had to resort to a Nissan motor...hahah nice one dude love it
Statts
Regular

September 2002

Re: My little engine conversion Wed, 17 September 2003 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark - Thanks, yes it did end up being a tidy fit

fj20 - They do make a good combo Razz

cam_RA40 - Yes, it's an SR20DET

oldcorollas - The fuse holder is an off-the-shelf Narva part. As for the shiny bits, the manifold was a necessity as the standard manifold was cracked, bit of a waste on a standard turbo, but my HKS GT2510 should be here in the next couple of weeks.

RobST162 - It goes pretty well, but not fast enough just yet Laughing

Chris
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: My little engine conversion Wed, 17 September 2003 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats awesome!
good stuff good to see a different kinda conversion for a change!
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: My little engine conversion Wed, 17 September 2003 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very nice work!
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: My little engine conversion Wed, 17 September 2003 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
should be ok
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: My little engine conversion Wed, 17 September 2003 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon,
Feel the love Razz I take it you are anti-bastardisation?
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: My little engine conversion Wed, 17 September 2003 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats shit hot man! I love it.

How many different versions of SR20s are there and which version is that one? (Do the S2000 have one?)

All the good (engine longevity) bits - good intercooler, good exhaust manifold, oil/air seperator, tuned computer (guessing from the sticker), upgraded radiator.

Very nicely done!
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: My little engine conversion Wed, 17 September 2003 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha no.. statts knows i love him

either way.. it will slide well Smile
justcallmefrank wrote on Wed, 17 September 2003 11:31

Simon,
Feel the love Razz I take it you are anti-bastardisation?

Statts
Regular

September 2002

Re: My little engine conversion Wed, 17 September 2003 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the good comments guys, I know Nissan engines arent the most popular things on these forums.

HKSPete - There are heaps of SR20DET versions, mine is a black top version from a 95-on 180SX. The PowerFC isnt in yet (Imay put one on later) My rocker cover was a bit ratty, so I picked that one up which we had lying around.

Cheers

Chris
crazy_camry
Regular

April 2003
Re: My little engine conversion Wed, 17 September 2003 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=HKSPete wrote on Wed, 17 September 2003 11:34]How many different versions of SR20s are there and which version is that one? (Do the S2000 have one?)
quote]

do you mean the honda S2000?

AFAIK there are three main types of sr20. the 'red top' in the s13 and older 180sx with T25, the gti-r sr20 with quad throttle bodies and solid lifters as opposed to hydralic ones in the other versions, then the newer (s14 and newer 180sx) sr20 'black tops' with T28's and Neo (like VVTI)

[Updated on: Wed, 17 September 2003 01:47]

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: My little engine conversion Wed, 17 September 2003 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HKSPete wrote on Wed, 17 September 2003 11:34

How many different versions of SR20s are there and which version is that one? (Do the S2000 have one?)

S2000 is a Honda? F20C...
Are you thinking of the 200SX?
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: My little engine conversion Wed, 17 September 2003 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL!

I was actually thinking the S2000, but had my wires crossed. Don't know much outside toyotas.

Thanks for being gentle Embarassed

I do know the SR20s came out in heaps of different versions, which prompted my question, but the S2000 bit was a brain-snap.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: My little engine conversion Wed, 17 September 2003 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's called a brain fart. Smile

I'm guilty of them quite often...
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon10.gif  Re: My little engine conversion Wed, 17 September 2003 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually, just looked up the Jargon File, it's more of a braino/thinko than a brain fart....

Laughing
Statts
Regular

September 2002

Re: My little engine conversion Wed, 17 September 2003 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are actually more versions of SR20DET

S13 1991 - 1994 Red top T25G
s13 1995 - 1997 Black top T25G ECU updates
s14 series 1 aus Same as black top s13 but with VVT
s14 series 1/2 jap Same as s14 aus but with t28 roller bearing
s15 aus Same as s14 series 1/2 jap
s15 jap Same as s14 series 1/2 jap with updated ECU and changed exhaust housing on t28 roller

Chris
7mgte83
Regular

January 2003
Re: My little engine conversion Wed, 17 September 2003 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's absolute sacrilege, but it would have to be the best performed sacrilege I've seen in a while. good job Razz
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: My little engine conversion Wed, 17 September 2003 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Wed, 17 September 2003 11:54

It's called a brain fart. Smile

I'm guilty of them quite often...

Do they have a blue flame if you light them?

... sorry highjacking thread is bad.

How long did the conversion take? Were there any major problems with mixing toyota and nissan? Could you use stuff like a toyota altenator so you didn't have to change the wiring?

Call it a Toyossan? Nissota?

Instead of an AE86, SR86! cool.
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: My little engine conversion Wed, 17 September 2003 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That is really impressive Chris.

I have so many questions to ask, so let me know if it is ok with you just to go nuts with questions.

If Toyota made a decent RWD turbo motor and gearbox we would not need to resort to Nissan implants. But I think there is something cool about building a car from different bits from different manufacturers.

Cheers
Statts
Regular

September 2002

Re: My little engine conversion Wed, 17 September 2003 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HKSPete - Nothing was really that difficult, as for the alternator - just cut off the Toyota plug, wire the nissan plug to the big white and little white, earth wire to alternator housing, thats it, alternator sits on drivers side, just like 4age, so i used existing wiring.

Youngy - shoot with the questions. the mixture is a nice one, and yes, if Toyota made a nice RWD engine with so many aftermarket parts available, I would have used it. But they don't so I didn't Razz

Chris
1G-GE KE35
Occasional Poster

July 2002
Re: My little engine conversion Wed, 17 September 2003 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very nice dude Very Happy
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: My little engine conversion Wed, 17 September 2003 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice job Chris.
Got a rear wheel power figure yet???
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: My little engine conversion Wed, 17 September 2003 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
personally, i wouldn't put a SR20 in a sprinter, but that looks dammn good. i love the gold turbo manifold.

EDIT: i just re-read and noticed you didnt ask for any advice, so i hope you dont mind me sharing my thoughts.

have you done any chassis reinforcing? i would look at doing a bit of that for starters, then a few of these things:

fit an aftermarket plenum/inlet manifold, as those nissan ones look "funny"

definately boot mount your battery and build a box to seperate your pod from the engine bay (so it sucks air form behoind the headlight)

clean all that shit off your floor (just kidding)

thats about it, does the gearstick being further back annoy you much? ill have to try and imagine it being ythere when i drive to work today.

keep up the good work

[Updated on: Wed, 17 September 2003 04:29]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: My little engine conversion Wed, 17 September 2003 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont know about the engine conversion but where the hell did you get them rear wheels? Confused They rock and I want some Shocked
Statts
Regular

September 2002

Re: My little engine conversion Wed, 17 September 2003 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gabe - hasnt been on the dyno yet, but I imagine around 160-170rwkw. Will not go on dyno until my new turbo arrives (2 weeks HKS GT2510) then should see around 220 @ wheels. Im not chasing as much power as you have, the car has been built purely as a drifter.

shinybluesteel - each to their own I guess. Chassis strengthening hasnt been done yet, as I am slowly building a Truebo shell, so that will be seam welded, a pillar braces etc. I do have a cage coming in a few weeks time though, that will suffice for the Sprinter. I don't have a problem with the "funny looking" plenum, they work well, no matter how they work. The advantages of going to a GReddy plenum are minimal. The battery does not bother me at this stage. When i get a chance, I will stick the thermo on my multimeter in the filter and go for a thrash, if I get some stupid inlet temp, I iwll change it. The gearstick doesn't bother me at all, infact it's better. I am 6'3" so the shifter on the 4age was a bit of a reach forward. Thanks for your thoughts and comments though.

Cool1 - I have 3 pairs of those wheels in total - 4 15x7's and 2 15x8's

Cheers

Chris
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: My little engine conversion Wed, 17 September 2003 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you know what the wheels are called?
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: My little engine conversion Wed, 17 September 2003 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Longchamp XR4's!
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: My little engine conversion Wed, 17 September 2003 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sweet thanks. I'm gonna get me a set of them Smile
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: My little engine conversion Wed, 17 September 2003 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-MrRx7 wrote on Wed, 17 September 2003 19:50

Longchamp XR4's!

Ok where the hell do I get them?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: My little engine conversion Wed, 17 September 2003 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can still buy them new...don't ask me where though Razz
shindeokure
Regular

September 2003
Re: My little engine conversion Wed, 17 September 2003 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they are a japanese wheel, i.e. you buy them from japan Very Happy
hikari 'had' a pair of 14"s for sale.. try japanese import wreckers.

i got to see chris's car while i was in adelaide a few weeks ago. it is VERY nice. f%!k what people say about the nissan engine because the bottom line is the sr20 is one of the best 4 cylinder engines built to date.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: My little engine conversion Wed, 17 September 2003 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
statts > fuck man nice car, where did you get the longchamps wheels?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: My little engine conversion Wed, 17 September 2003 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shindeokure wrote on Wed, 17 September 2003 22:42

f%!k what people say about the nissan engine because the bottom line is the sr20 is one of the best 4 cylinder engines built to date.

Hmm... No... Must not comment. Smile
roger
Regular

June 2002
Re: My little engine conversion Thu, 18 September 2003 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I love the SR20 engine but it does have it down falls.

1 being a floating cast iron sleeve in an alloy block this has been know to distort the sleaves under high temps and high boost.

Some of the sr20 run hydraulic tapets as opposed to buckets

advatages 2 litre turbo 16v in RWD light. I think it is a great choice of engine for the sprinter for price and parts avalibility.

[Updated on: Thu, 18 September 2003 01:09]

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: My little engine conversion Thu, 18 September 2003 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Buckets? I wasn't aware there were any SR20DETs with buckets...
roger
Regular

June 2002
Re: My little engine conversion Thu, 18 September 2003 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I ment bucket on shim direct cam actuation I belive the GTIR engine has them and possible other variets of the sr20det does also.

[Updated on: Thu, 18 September 2003 01:12]

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: My little engine conversion Thu, 18 September 2003 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's what I meant too.

I'll have to do a little research...
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: My little engine conversion Thu, 18 September 2003 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was under the impression that all SR20's have rocker arms!
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: My little engine conversion Thu, 18 September 2003 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nod
roger
Regular

June 2002
Re: My little engine conversion Thu, 18 September 2003 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah your right the GTIR has shims and solid lifters and roker arms. The others have hydraulic lifters I belive
Statts
Regular

September 2002

Re: My little engine conversion Thu, 18 September 2003 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for all the positive comments guys.

Chris
quick
Regular

June 2003
Re: My little engine conversion Thu, 18 September 2003 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a friend of a friend is a toyota specialist mechanic and he obviously has the dirt on toyota engines.......and as most of you toymodders should allready know they are amongst the toughest motors ever made.....his opinion is that the Sr20 comes a very close second to some of the good toyota 4cyl engines and that with a bit of work he doesnt give a shit which one is in use as they are both very very good

....receed to my corner (waves goodbye)
nismonotmugen
Newcomer

September 2003
Re: My little engine conversion Thu, 18 September 2003 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was seriously thinking about this swap not too long ago. I just got an AE86, but I know nothing about them. So what did you have to do to get that to fit in there? Very Happy
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: My little engine conversion Thu, 18 September 2003 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3SGE is better thx!

Wink
nismonotmugen
Newcomer

September 2003
Re: My little engine conversion Thu, 18 September 2003 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm new to the AE86, but I've been into S13s for awhile. Thats why I feel this swap is for me.
Statts
Regular

September 2002

Re: My little engine conversion Thu, 18 September 2003 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift - each to their own, I don't go slagging of other peoples choice of engine conversion

Chris
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: My little engine conversion Thu, 18 September 2003 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Thu, 18 September 2003 16:06

3SGE is better thx!

Wink

http://www.kirupa.com/forums/smileys_files/clap.gif http://www.kirupa.com/forums/smileys_files/bigthumb.gif http://www.kirupa.com/forums/smileys_files/cheers.gif http://www.kirupa.com/forums/smileys_files/clap(1).gif http://www.kirupa.com/forums/smileys_files/thefinger.gif http://www.kirupa.com/forums/smileys_files/kiss.gif http://www.kirupa.com/forums/smileys_files/love.gif

nuff said Very Happy
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: My little engine conversion Thu, 18 September 2003 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah, teh 4AC is the best
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: My little engine conversion Thu, 18 September 2003 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
10 points for effort man that great, id love to be able to have a car specifically for track use.

did you have to modify the tunnel/firewall?
Statts
Regular

September 2002

Re: My little engine conversion Thu, 18 September 2003 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No modifications to firewall or transmission tunnel

Chris
horner boy
Regular

February 2003
Re: My little engine conversion Fri, 19 September 2003 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are you going to modify a console to fit around the shifter?
I wanted to do the ca18 but having to put the shifter back a bit put me off.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: My little engine conversion Sun, 21 September 2003 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well done on the conversion Smile

Looks like it all went together quite sweetly Smile

have fun!!!

Stuart
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: My little engine conversion Sun, 21 September 2003 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Horner boy,

For the CA18 I have been told that you can bolt the much shorter RB20 gearbox straight up and have the stick very much in the same position it is now or with a standard sprinter.

food for thought
Statts
Regular

September 2002

Re: My little engine conversion Mon, 22 September 2003 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
horner boy - the console can be modified to JUST clear the shifter.

Classique71 - thanks alot, it went together quite nicely.

Youngy - We tossed this one around the workshop today. Possibly not the RB20 gearbox, but an R30 gearbox from behind an L-series 6 cylinder? That was an idea from one of the other fellows. More on that later....

Chris
Statts
Regular

September 2002

Re: My little engine conversion Tue, 23 September 2003 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pics coming this week of R32 GTSt brake upgrade including R32 GTR master cylinder.

Chris
natez
Regular

April 2003
Re: My little engine conversion Wed, 24 September 2003 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
i would have to asked about the strength about the L series gearbox to a sr20det, with the mods you got, can't see 3rd lasting to long

i think the stock shifter is to far away anyway, the sr20det box will be a good thing for me
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Widest G-series?
Next Topic:timing question?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Sep 29 14:50:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010347843170166 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.