Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Sat, 11 October 2003 07:09 Go to next message
Reckon it should be running this week - finally. What a LOAD of work - custom engine mounts on ford cortina circular pads seemed to work well - (thanks Dorikin for this) - 3 core radiator (thanks Doc), Ford top hose, Bluebird bottom hose, speedflow fittings and pushlock hose - thanks Toby and Brenton from Meridian Motorsport, custom inlet manifold brace, 5/8" welch plugs to block up injector holes, custom tailshaft, the list just goes on and on and on...

the round thing hanging on the side of the block is my gas convertor - it will run straight gas thru gas research setup.
http://users.bigpond.net.au/ta22/images/celica/ta22004.jpg

http://users.bigpond.net.au/ta22/images/celica/ta22005.jpg
note the oil cooler and large thermo fan to keep things nice and cool

http://users.bigpond.net.au/ta22/images/celica/ta22007.jpg
remote oil filter and IRALLYs distributor...

you've really got to WANT to do an engine conversion i tell you. if you plan and do research - before you start - do more - because i've found that thru this - i've learnt HEAPS more.

[Updated on: Tue, 29 March 2005 10:30]

Send a private message to this user    
._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: My TA22 4AGE conversion - progress Sat, 11 October 2003 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
greg,

looks awesome!!!

will it be running by sunday night?

Smile

T
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: My TA22 4AGE conversion - progress Sat, 11 October 2003 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looking very very nice, i am looking at putting in a 4agze into my ta22... how long has it taken to get to this stage?
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: My TA22 4AGE conversion - progress Sat, 11 October 2003 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toby, no won't be running by sunday nite.
i'd safely say wednesday next week?

boris, its taken a LONG time. i think its been off the road for almost 12 months actually. its only getting done coz i'm on annual leave.
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: My TA22 4AGE conversion - progress Sat, 11 October 2003 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shit 12 months Shocked , how many hours a week have you been putting into it?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: My TA22 4AGE conversion - progress Sat, 11 October 2003 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hope you have lots of photos of the mounts!
Did you have to do any mods to the gearbox crossmember?

Oh and it looks hella good Very Happy
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: My TA22 4AGE conversion - progress Sat, 11 October 2003 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
until lately - 0
dorikin
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: My TA22 4AGE conversion - progress Mon, 13 October 2003 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey greg, looks very nice. be sure to come down past my work sometime to show me when it's done!!!
moo4AGZETA22
Regular

April 2003
Re: My TA22 4AGE conversion - progress Mon, 13 October 2003 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,
Your conversion is looking good Surprised ! It looks like I'll have to post some pictures of mine tomorrow.
The LPG is a nice touch. I can't wait o see it when its finished.
Your engine looks like it sits further forward than mine.
I think we used the middle position on the standard gearbox cross-member.
Your engine mounts look pretty neat.
A 4AGE is a bloody small engine when it doesn't have all of its ancillaries hanging of it.
Top stuff!!!

Cheers,
Justin Rolling Eyes
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: My TA22 4AGE conversion - progress Mon, 13 October 2003 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
todd - you bet mate, i'll be there!

thanks justin. yes lets see some pix too!
yeah - we also used the middle position too - i've been modifying the stock console today to get the shifter boot in place and riveting and siliconing metal over the old place where the shifter used to sit.

so far its all good. and yeah it does look bloody small. slowly filling it up though.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: My TA22 4AGE conversion - progress Mon, 10 November 2003 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okies, MORE pix MORE progress. been a LONG while since this was updated...

http://users.bigpond.net.au/ta22/images/celica/ta22015.jpg
the cast manifold will be GONE as of thursday and extractors in their place. and no, there is no injection there all. thanx IRALLY for the dizzy!

http://users.bigpond.net.au/ta22/images/celica/ta22017.jpg
yes it is a 100kw thanx to mrshin for the inlet manifold. the TB is a gas research mixer/throttle body. remote filter and pushlock hose with speedflow fittings (almost popped a vein putting them fucking fittings on - thanx toby and meridian motorsport for that gear!)

http://users.bigpond.net.au/ta22/images/celica/ta22019.jpg
the front, well aside from the 3 core radiator and big arse thermo fan and oil cooler, the rest is, just silly car. the headlights are waiting on the semi sealed beam conversion.

ps: did i happen to mention that engine conversions are a SHIT LOAD of work. but VERY rewarding!

[Updated on: Tue, 07 December 2004 05:00]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: My TA22 4AGE conversion - progress Mon, 10 November 2003 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice work mate! Those blue oil lines look swish Very Happy
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: My TA22 4AGE conversion - progress Mon, 10 November 2003 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pushlock hose dude, doesn't require any hose clamps, but, the effort required to get the hoses on the thing, blimey, its no wonder why it don't!
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My TA22 4AGE conversion - progress Mon, 10 November 2003 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
...That's why I get Big Don to do my pushlock hoses (Grega knows what I mean!). Say, seeing as my old inlet manifold looks so good on there, when you gonna buy my old exhaust manifold/turbo as well Evil or Very Mad
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: My TA22 4AGE conversion - progress Mon, 10 November 2003 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
next time i'm doing pushlock hose big don can come for a drive in the pintara dude!

turbo is a little way off yet shinny...
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: My TA22 4AGE conversion - progress Tue, 11 November 2003 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So whens it definantly on the road - and when will i see you down this way ? Smile

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My TA22 4AGE conversion - progress Tue, 11 November 2003 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
More to the point, when are you heading up MY way to show that damned Pintara a thing or two! Heck, I might even have to crack out the White Thing and take you BOTH on!
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My TA22 4AGE conversion - progress Tue, 11 November 2003 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That is looking soooooo cool Smile More motivation to finish my engine conversion Smile
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: My TA22 4AGE conversion - progress Tue, 11 November 2003 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont know much about gas research at all, what made ya go with that?

what are the benefits?
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: My TA22 4AGE conversion - progress Tue, 11 November 2003 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BAH shin - I respect whitey for the fact that you HAVENT killd it but i dont fear it Wink

when are you gunna give the strong hearted little bugger a decent body though ( ie a ta22 )
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: My TA22 4AGE conversion - progress Tue, 11 November 2003 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks VERY VERY good Very Happy , just a quick question... the new pics kind of look like the engine is tilted back as it was originally designed to aid oil flow. Did you angle it or is just the pics?

Cheers.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: My TA22 4AGE conversion - progress Tue, 11 November 2003 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stu, dunno. might be on the road (well mobile) this week or next - depends. as far as going on outings on road - 12 months - starting to get stuck into the bodywork before it comes out in full form.

hehe. not the mx73 shinny?

oz_craig, don't get me started on LPG. i prefer it as a fuel, its a very underutilised resource, has a few advantages over normal petrol too. most people are still stuck on the idea you have a time bomb in your boot, i know my missus won't even fill the car with LPG let alone drive it...

shinny is doing some cool work with LPG - will be the shit when he's done...

also its missing the IG5 i have for it. is sitting in my study at the moment. gotta do that sometime too.

boris it does lean a bit on purpose, to help the oil flow. i havent' rigged up the oil surge setup, that will be in stage 2 of the build (which will prolly involve an rb20bb turbo amongst other things)

[Updated on: Tue, 11 November 2003 03:00]

Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: My TA22 4AGE conversion - progress Thu, 13 November 2003 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
extractors done today

http://users.bigpond.net.au/ta22/images/celica/ta22025.jpg

http://users.bigpond.net.au/ta22/images/celica/ta22026.jpg

[Updated on: Tue, 07 December 2004 05:01]

Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: My TA22 4AGE conversion - progress Thu, 13 November 2003 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I definately like it! Shocked Shocked Surprised Very Happy Smile Looks very very nice, the blue oil lines do look swish Very Happy IS that your workshop its being done in??? Well done mate!

[Updated on: Thu, 13 November 2003 10:24]

Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: My TA22 4AGE conversion - progress Thu, 13 November 2003 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alchemist bear in mind the welds need to get cleaned up.

the blue hose is "pushlock" hose - $22 per metre retail - doesn't use hose clamps and will withstand 300psi. it also needs some insulation around it too!
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My TA22 4AGE conversion - progress Thu, 13 November 2003 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kewl your extractors fit Smile Mine don't quite, they sit on the idler arm so I can only drive straight... I think I'll have to get new ones made up...
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My TA22 4AGE conversion - progress Thu, 13 November 2003 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whitey? hah! Actually, engine #4 is ready for some work now... It's leaking about 5 litres of oil a DAY straight out the rear main! Still runs just the same though Evil or Very Mad

Yes I am doing some 'cool stuff' with LPG - a few of you know what I mean, and the rest of you will before TOO much longer too. Grega, ask your missus if she's ever stood next to a BBQ...

Grega, c'mon, you know you want my old turbo... you know you do Evil or Very Mad
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: My TA22 4AGE conversion - progress Thu, 13 November 2003 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah same shit aye shinny?

nah i already told ya. i've got a rb20 bb turbo ready to go on there!!!!
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My TA22 4AGE conversion - progress Thu, 13 November 2003 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gotcha manifold and dump pipe yet Twisted Evil
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: My TA22 4AGE conversion - progress Fri, 14 November 2003 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
manifold, well well almost Evil or Very Mad
dump pipe, ahem, yes well its still attached to the back of the BB turb dudey...
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: My TA22 4AGE conversion - progress Tue, 25 November 2003 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NEWSFLASH.
i got to drive it tonite, yep, after i dunno how long must be at least 12 months off the road, IT GOES UNDER ITS OWN POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i even have all 5 gears WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO (including reverse)
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Gregas TA22 4AGE conversion - progress Tue, 07 December 2004 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i've lost track now of how long, but, here it is -:

http://users.bigpond.net.au/ta22/images/celica/celica1.jpg

different car to drive now. love that 4AGE goodliness...5500rpm and it gets on the cam and lookout all the way to 8000rpm.

[Updated on: Tue, 07 December 2004 05:06]

demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Gregas TA22 4AGE conversion - progress Tue, 07 December 2004 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grega: OH WOW, what a difference! Very nice, Nice color. What cams are you running? I've still got the stock cams (and stock everything else apart from exhaust and pod).

Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Gregas TA22 4AGE conversion - progress Tue, 07 December 2004 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah bit of a difference hey fook?

still the stock cams (232's i think stock in 100kw motor) with a bit of toby hunt port matching on the side.

its pretty much well stock minus the pod and shit extractors really - goes like a shower of shit i know that much - much better than the old worn out 2T - although more than sure if i'd have freshened up the old 2T it would have been a ball tearer!
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Gregas TA22 4AGE conversion - progress Tue, 07 December 2004 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
very very cool Smile Did the port matching do much? That's rather late to come on for stock cams isn't it? Mine come on at about 4500RPM, and is also visible on the dyno graph.

http://images5.fotki.com/v88/photos/1/12090/908792/Hal_dyno_26062004-vi.jpg

You've also upgraded your diff to a G or something with discs haven't you?

Once I get my LSD and sort out my suspension a bit better I'm probably going to be hunting down more power (or better gearing in the gearbox)

[Updated on: Tue, 07 December 2004 05:35]

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Gregas TA22 4AGE conversion - progress Tue, 07 December 2004 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was actually wondering the other day how your car was doing... Good to see it's still around Very Happy I'd love to see it sometime.

Hey, if you're interested, I've got the cams ready to go into mine sitting here, but won't be putting them in for a couple of weeks yet, maybe you'd like to try them out sometime? If they work OK for you, I'll just get another set the same for myself. Otherwise I've used you as a convenient method of running the cams in Razz
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Gregas TA22 4AGE conversion - progress Fri, 10 December 2004 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the gas hasn't been tuned as of yet actually.
its still setup stock but according to my mixture metres its behaving itself quite well - although i can tell you it does get a bit rich and goes dead and then picks up pretty hard around certain conditions.

it needs to go to a local mob to be sorted completely - in saying that it will also get dynoed at the same time.

shinny - nah not messing with cams at the moment kinda building a turbo manifold instead Wink
ozboy
Regular

February 2004
Re: Gregas TA22 4AGE conversion - progress Sat, 11 December 2004 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks awesum mate i hope all the long hours you put in have paid off (it sure does look like it) anyways when mines finished ill come down for a cruze yes all the way to melbourne!!!
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Gregas TA22 4AGE conversion - progress Sat, 25 December 2004 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grega- ill be up your way early january to catch up with mike ( hirogen ) - any chance of popping in for a gday and a looksee on how the ta22 turnoed out mate ?

- throw me an email or PM if its cool

christo
Regular

July 2004
Re: Gregas TA22 4AGE conversion - progress Sun, 26 December 2004 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Great job mate. Looks great, hope the hard hours have now been justified. Christo
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Gregas TA22 4AGE conversion - progress Mon, 31 January 2005 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey man, ur car is looking awesome...

Wanted to ask you a few quick questions...

What engine mounts did you use???

What diff are you using???

What tailshaft???

Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Gregas TA22 4AGE conversion - progress Wed, 02 February 2005 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ta

1. custom plus ford cortina rubber pads
2. stock
3. custom with holden unis
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Gregas TA22 4AGE conversion - progress Tue, 29 March 2005 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
about to be updated in a REAL big way. watch this space for updates.
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Tue, 29 March 2005 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Consider this space watched Shocked
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Thu, 07 April 2005 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
struth
found this at the side of the road...

http://www.ta22.com/images/1g/1g.jpg
and
http://www.ta22.com/images/1g/1g1.jpg

now lets see exactly how well it will fit a 22.

[Updated on: Thu, 07 April 2005 09:36]

ke30twodoor
Regular

February 2005
Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Thu, 07 April 2005 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats the way go the 1ggte they are great !!!!

wise choice mate!!

kristy
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Thu, 07 April 2005 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
now that brings back memory's... good luck with it Smile
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Sun, 10 April 2005 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok....for those of you interested when you convert a mid sump to a front sump using bits off a 1GGE you need to make a couple of little mods to splash tray...

one of the legs of the oil pickup that bolts to the underside of the block fouls on the tray - so you need to dremel a wee bit out.

also the splash tray from the 1GGTE mid sump has a surge plate spot welded to it - as the sump is now at the front this can be removed...

pics to follow...
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Mon, 11 April 2005 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as follows ;

http://www.ta22.com/images/1g/1g2.jpg

and in its entirety

http://www.ta22.com/images/1g/1g3.jpg

note the "flap" and support will have to go for the tray to actually sit in the sump.
ozboy
Regular

February 2004
Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Mon, 18 April 2005 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey there is there any chance that you would sell the crossmember with the 4a mounts and ill give you my standard crossmember to save me some hassles? also the tailshaft if you want!
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Mon, 18 April 2005 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the crossmember is the same as a 2T one - not modified.
the mounts will be copied and sold seperately. if interested let me know and i'll arrange
ke30king
Forums Junkie

On Probation

March 2005
Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Thu, 28 April 2005 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grega wrote on Thu, 07 April 2005 19:35

struth
found this at the side of the road...

http://www.ta22.com/images/1g/1g.jpg
and
http://www.ta22.com/images/1g/1g1.jpg

now lets see exactly how well it will fit a 22.

as if u found this on the side of the road u lucky bastard Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Fri, 29 April 2005 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grega wrote on Mon, 18 April 2005 19:08

the crossmember is the same as a 2T one - not modified.
the mounts will be copied and sold seperately. if interested let me know and i'll arrange

sign me up Smile

Eldar.O.
schmitt
Regular

February 2004
Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Tue, 02 August 2005 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi sorry this is a bit old but grega you wouldnt be able to still get some mounts or still have some for sale would you.

pm also sent

Thanks Ben
sxr01r
Regular

November 2003
Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Fri, 05 August 2005 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
firstly congrats on getting the car as far as you have, looks great. i was just wondering what radiator you have used and how much it set you back. any info greatly appreciated.

Leigh.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Fri, 05 August 2005 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i used a 3 core std setup and moved the tank inlet/outlets.
cost $300 from memory.
schmitt
Regular

February 2004
Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Fri, 05 August 2005 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey grega same question that i posted above.

Do you still have your 4age engine mounts and do you want to sell them or can you give me the specs so i can get some made up.

As you know there is alot to do in the 4age into ta22 conversion and any help you could give me would be appreciated.

PM also sent

Thanks
Ben
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Fri, 05 August 2005 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben I got no idea who you're PM'ing mate but it sure ain't me.

Yep still do have them.
I have to take them and get them copied.
Do you want measurements or do you want the copies?

Its actually not a hard conversion to do theres just little shits and bits (alot of them) which makes it fiddly.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Sat, 06 August 2005 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
greg - you have the PM thing Smile
schmitt
Regular

February 2004
Re: Gregas TA22 conversion - progress Sat, 06 August 2005 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
If you are getting copies made up shortly that would be great but if not i will grab the measurements off you and just make some up.

BTW with the pm's i don't know what happened. I was just clicking on the pm symbol at the bottom of your typing.

So just to confirm if you are getting some made up let me know the price and i will definitely be in on that. If not just measurements will do.

Also it might be an idea to post in the for sale section that you are getting some made up and do a group buy as that might be a bit cheaper and i am sure there are a few people that would be interested.

Thanks
Ben
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:sexys other toys
Next Topic:The Stitt's Crown Wagon's MS53 Update!!!! Pics of Body off the Chassis!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:01:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0076761245727539 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.