Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
haydennz
Regular

June 2003
Upgrade path for 3tgteu Thu, 06 November 2003 11:06 Go to next message
Ok, looking at getting 200hp at the engine on a completely stock engine, stock pistons, how do I go about it.
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Upgrade path for 3tgteu Thu, 06 November 2003 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Easy peasy! Intercooler and a bleed valve should do it. Smile
haydennz
Regular

June 2003
Re: Upgrade path for 3tgteu Thu, 06 November 2003 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wont I need a little more fuel to go with the intercooled air, how do i fool it into running a little richer?

its got race grind cams, and quite a restrictive exhuast, eg, nasty 90" crush bends, must be down to 1" in places..whats the best exhuast to match the stock turbo, 3"? im guessing im at 165 or so with cams and filter (keeping in mind the exhuast)

[Updated on: Thu, 06 November 2003 11:28]

ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Upgrade path for 3tgteu Thu, 06 November 2003 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Thu, 06 November 2003 22:18

Easy peasy! Intercooler and a bleed valve should do it. Smile

A question, may sound stupid but what exactly does a bleed valve do?
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Upgrade path for 3tgteu Thu, 06 November 2003 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude, you sound alot like "elite hayden" also known to post here???

Standard these motors have 160BHP, so with a bit more boost and fuel, 200 should be no problem. As Norbie said, install an intercooler and wind the bosst up. My recommendation would be to not wind the boost over 10-11 psi unless you want to start replacing pistons. To trick the computer into supplying more fuel for the associated boost, disconnect the vacuum hose from the fuel overboost sensor, but leave the electrical connection intact. This will result in the computer never realising it has gone past it's cutout of 7.3psi, and it will supply and regulate fuel to suit.
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Upgrade path for 3tgteu Thu, 06 November 2003 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A bleed valve simply removes air (by "bleeding it off") from the wastegate. They can be set to bleed a certain amount off, resulting in the wastegate not opening till that pressure is reached on the following side of the valve.

My recommendation for exhaust would be a mandrel bent 2.5" system. With the turbo acting as a muffler also, you'll only need one good quality muffler in the system. 3" mandrel systems on 3TGTE's drone on the street, I know - mine does!
haydennz
Regular

June 2003
Re: Upgrade path for 3tgteu Thu, 06 November 2003 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fuel cut is at .7bar is it not, eg, 10psi?

was there a noticable performance increase going from stock to 3" - if so elaborate.

[Updated on: Thu, 06 November 2003 12:23]

CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Upgrade path for 3tgteu Thu, 06 November 2003 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, fuel cut is 0.5bar (7.3psi). I've never run with a small exhaust on a 3TGTE, however another conversion I did for a friend with a small exhaust resulted in a dyno run of 115RWHP, while mine had 135 at the same standard boost.
haydennz
Regular

June 2003
Re: Upgrade path for 3tgteu Thu, 06 November 2003 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So what supposidly happens when you go over 7.3psi? I have had the stock turbo at 10psi for about a week.. you do notice the gear shifts coming up quicker... but it wouldnt give you the violent cut out till just a snip over 10psi(fuel cut engaged etc.), removing the fuel cut pressure switch resulted in no violent fuel cuts.. by violent i mean from hyperspace to stopped, quite scary.

your 3" system is on stock ecu? and as for the intercooler, wont suppling colder air mean that the ecu needs to put more fuel in but the stupid old 3t ecu's cant measure the temp?

[Updated on: Thu, 06 November 2003 14:07]

CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Upgrade path for 3tgteu Thu, 06 November 2003 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I cannot explain your 10psi boost level, other than to say your boost guage may be incorrect? On a standard system, you get the same fuel cut (hyperspace to stopped) at 7.3psi, unless disconnected. The computer will keep supplying fuel to increasing levels of boost until the duty cycle of the injectors is reached, which will then allow the engine to run lean and knock computer kicks in to give a big wad of retard to eliminate knocking. The system is not fail safe however and pistons suffering from detonation problems are a common 3TGTE ailment if pushed too far.
The computer will regulate the amount of fuel the engine receives regardless of air temp based on the AFM and the oxy sensor in the exhaust.
Yes, my setup still runs the standard fuel and knock computers too

[Updated on: Thu, 06 November 2003 14:37]

haydennz
Regular

June 2003
Re: Upgrade path for 3tgteu Mon, 10 November 2003 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok I'm not doubting what your saying, but from what everyone else has said, if you cool the air it becomes denser and you need more fuel to go with it, the ECU is a stupid ecu and if it sees 1psi it will inject enuff fuel for the 1psi(thinking its still the ct20), if you had a bigger turbo boosting at 1psi it will not be putting in enuff fuel for the higher flow, same with the intercooler, and also 3t doesnt have temp sensor and doesnt read the oxy sensor unless its in closed loop? so whats the story, can you explain your entire setup on gteu clint? eg, intercooler/turbo/injectors/ any mods, and power.

I think the engine is running quite rich anyway so this actaully might lean it out some.

Intercooler = need more fuel to go with the cooler air.

What sorta difference would i notice intercooling at 8psi on the ct20 with a series 4 rx7 bonnet intercooler, front mounted.?

[Updated on: Mon, 10 November 2003 10:45]

ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Upgrade path for 3tgteu Mon, 10 November 2003 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am running 400cc injectors in my 3TGTE and I am thinking about downgrading them back to standard before I put on the CT26 turbo and intercooler.

For me the injectors dont need to be upgraded, the standard ones would be safe for around 1 - 1.5 bar of boost with the new turbo and intercooler....right?
haydennz
Regular

June 2003
Re: Upgrade path for 3tgteu Mon, 10 November 2003 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if u have a programable ecu and temp/map sensor setup, i wouldnt think so perhaps someone can comfirm, i think the stock injectors are near they're max at around 200bhp and i think a ct26 at 1.5bar - 21pound would be a pinch over 300hp, need a farkin nice intercooler tho.

[Updated on: Mon, 10 November 2003 11:48]

CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Upgrade path for 3tgteu Tue, 11 November 2003 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'd also need a new motor as the pistons won't take those boost pressures. Some people argue that an aftermarket computer tuned to within an inch of it's life will handle the situation, however, I'm not prepared to go through umpteen motors to get the tune right, stick to 10psi or go to forged pistons.

My setup is basically back to standard, with exception of the T28 hanging off the side. I run a modified AFM (spring modifications to lean it out a bit - I think this has to do with the better turbo as it only needed to be done when I put it on, but can't confirm this?), no intercooler, standard throttle body, fully rebuilt injectors, standard pistons, T28 running 7psi boost only, to give me 133.3 RWHP at @6000rpm. I find I need an LSD again, more than more boost.

When on boost the computer runs the motor extremely rich as standard, I've had a narrow band A/F Ratio Meter in the car to check it. I think you're worrying too much about fuel regulation under intercooled boost conditions, but I don't have enough experience to confirm this. You could try "geoff" (I think - going from memory), he seems to have some good infomation on 3TGTE and the "electrical" side of their workings.
I have run a standard motor on around 10psi without an intercooler without any problems, but wouldn't go past that.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Upgrade path for 3tgteu Tue, 11 November 2003 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haydennz wrote on Mon, 10 November 2003 20:43

Intercooler = need more fuel to go with the cooler air.

True, but remember the airflow meter is on the low-pressure side of the turbo, which means post-turbo air pressure and density is irrelevant as far as fuel metering goes. If you add an intercooler the inlet charge will be denser, but every single molecule of air still had to go through the airflow meter first, so the computer still knows how much fuel to inject!
haydennz
Regular

June 2003
Re: Upgrade path for 3tgteu Tue, 11 November 2003 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
being a stupid ecu its guessing the temp of the charge, based on a ct20.. what would you expect power to be at with stock 7psi intercooled(small f/m, rx7 styles bonnet type front mounted) and 3" exhuast from turbo to ass end straight through, cams and CAI. 180bhp at the fly or is that a bit optimistic?
haydennz
Regular

June 2003
Re: Upgrade path for 3tgteu Fri, 14 November 2003 10:19 Go to previous message
bling bling bump
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Options for a stock 77 Corona with 18R
Next Topic:towbar compatibility?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-