Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Options for a stock 77 Corona with 18R

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
juventino
Occasional Poster

November 2003
icon5.gif  Options for a stock 77 Corona with 18R Mon, 10 November 2003 00:44 Go to next message
Hi guys, i know im a newbie here, but iv looked in many other threads about engine work or conversions, but im still confused Confused

Below is my corona....

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-11/480192/corona_bay1.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-11/480192/Image2.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-11/480192/Image9.jpg

I'v now had it for about 7 months, it was given to me by my brother who had it for about a year, and before that it was my mothers. It's been a part of the family for a while, and i love driving it and its hard to do part with it.

It's auto, its got about 266 thousand k's on the clock, and its totaly stock, apart from the custom metalic orange respray, driving lights, other eletrical components, etc. There are some spots of rust, but if im going to be spending time on the engine, I wont mind cutting the paint back and getting rid of the rust. Transmision is not bad, 10,000k's ago the reverse gear and 1st were reconditioned (i think). There are other minor things that need attention.

I'm looking at gaining extra preformance (but not looking for 13sec 1/4 mile Razz) , so what are my options? Is it worth re-conditioning the engine, and then doing some modifications? If so what can be done? Or should i just get rid of the 18R itself, and find somethign else that will fit straight in without any welding or any other changes to drivetrain, etc.? Or should I just chuck the thing down to the wreckers and not bother, and spend $6000 on something else?

Thoughts? Comments? Advice?

Thanks guys Cool
  Send a private message to this user    
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Options for a stock 77 Corona with 18R Mon, 10 November 2003 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you love the old girl as i do my car keep it and do it up, im warning you now you will spend a SHIT LOAD of money on it and probably never see half of i back if you do decide to sell it.

if youve got some mechanical know how i think you have a prim candidate for a 4agze /gte whichever you would preffer.

saying that you would need to get new suspension, driveline, gearbox, diff ,brakeupgrade you do the math $$$

im on $10,000 and counting
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Options for a stock 77 Corona with 18R Mon, 10 November 2003 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'd get a 18r-geu and turbo that sucker
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Options for a stock 77 Corona with 18R Mon, 10 November 2003 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup, an 18R-GEU with a Celica 5-speed will bolt in with minimal effort and it will totally transform the car. It's just a matter of finding a decent engine to begin with. Turbocharging it is a little more ambitious but it would turn your Corona into a dangerously fast grocery-getter!
onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: Options for a stock 77 Corona with 18R Mon, 10 November 2003 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are you in WA?
i saw a similar corona to yours cruising on West Coast Hwy sunday just gone...NICE CAR! very original.
you should 1JZ it!
buy a front cut, use everything std (computer, gearbox, radiator etc etc) and it will be super quick car on a relatively cheap budget. i know 1UZs fit in them nicely too, a project i was considering myself. the std diff will hold up too if you're nice to it.
if you budget $3500 for the front cut, say $1000 for exhaust, $600 for engineer's cert. and another $2500ish for good brakes and some better shocks and springs you could have the ULTIMATE sleeper.
whatever you do it will cost you a shitload, but i reckon the 1JZ is the best bang for the bucks.
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Options for a stock 77 Corona with 18R Mon, 10 November 2003 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
who are you talkin to? im in perth but my car isnt running at the moment it will be back next week.

Im plannin on the 7mgte (stick with the M block, same mounts)
I've worked the 4m so i'll wait until i've done the rest of the car (suspension, brakes, drop tank Evil or Very Mad) but one day it will be a turbo beast!
juventino
Occasional Poster

November 2003
Re: Options for a stock 77 Corona with 18R Mon, 10 November 2003 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We'll if you were talking to me, and not coronamark2, im in VIC. Cool

Yeah an engine change will be nice, but there a few things to get fixed up for the engineer cert. But I guess as you say, it could be a real sleeper, and a joy to drive.... Shocked

Also i am still on my P's, so i would have to be carefull not to blow over power to weight ratio! Insurance cost is not really a big issue, I would probably go for JustCarsInsurance anyway as not many others will offer me insurance as i am on my P's with a modified car. Crying or Very Sad
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Options for a stock 77 Corona with 18R Mon, 10 November 2003 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KEEP IT AND BOMB IT

You cant beat the look on peoples faces when they get whooped by a corona (which most dont belive me when i tell them what my car is) there reaction is more like a CORONA Shocked

good for the WTF factor
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Options for a stock 77 Corona with 18R Mon, 10 November 2003 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
18RG it for minimal fuss and a decent power upgrade, dont bother to go for the early 18RG, go for the RGU or RGEU.

the RGEU will be harder considering it a efi and u have to wire it all up, mine was a weekend conversion, not including the rebuild and the hassle i had with my OLD linkage setup.

if u have a decent engine and carbs {biggest hassle} and the corrent equipment u should knock it over quickly, and they dont need a engineer cert {QLD anyways}

go to my site below
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Options for a stock 77 Corona with 18R Mon, 10 November 2003 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh and the diff will not last

http://www.geocities.com/mrdohc2000/diff.html

new suspension is a must, and make sure the steering is up to scratch Rolling Eyes
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Options for a stock 77 Corona with 18R Mon, 10 November 2003 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
find a mk2 and put an f series in it Evil or Very Mad
juventino
Occasional Poster

November 2003
Re: Options for a stock 77 Corona with 18R Fri, 14 November 2003 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Taken from www.vicroads.vic.gov.au...
-------------------------------------------
"3. APPROVED MODIFICATIONS

For the purposes of Regulation 819 of the Road Safety (Vehicles) Regulations 1999 the following modifications, which generally do not affect the vehicle's continued compliance with the Standards for Registration, are approved modifications.

This approval does not apply to a modification which has been carried out in a manner which does not comply or would cause the vehicle not to comply with an applicable standard for registration:

3.2 Engine Changes
An engine or transmission change where the replacement is of the same model, type and capacity as one fitted to a vehicle of that model as original equipment
; or
An engine or transmission offered as an option for that model by the manufacturer of the vehicle provided both the modification and assessment are carried out in accordance with the guidelines contained in this information sheet. "

-------------------------------------------

Does this mean if I drop a 18RGEU or 18RGU I wont need an egineer cert. ? Smile
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Options for a stock 77 Corona with 18R Fri, 14 November 2003 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As long as your '77 model Corona had a factory option for the twin-cam - then no cert. requried.

BUT, if the twin-cam option only came with different brakes/transmission to what you have, then you woudl either have to cert. it or change the other hardware to match.

and, if you bolt a turbo onto the 18RC (like me) which was never a factory option, then you'll have to cert. it .

the qld regs seem similar to your cut/paste from vic roads.

charles.
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Options for a stock 77 Corona with 18R Fri, 14 November 2003 11:07 Go to previous message
in qld the 18RG into a RT104 is legal

i have seen the book my self, and it said dohc 2000cc is legal

{the engineer showed me}
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Help: What colour is my car!?
Next Topic:Upgrade path for 3tgteu
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Oct 19 01:42:26 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0070819854736328 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.