Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Any info? please RA23 4 stud to 5 stud axle.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Any info? please RA23 4 stud to 5 stud axle. Thu, 13 November 2003 13:21 Go to next message
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone on the forums has done a 5 stud conversion to their RA series Celica. I am thinking that I could look at a larger range of wheels if converted from 4 x 114.3 through to 5 x 114.3. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

regards Chuck.
  Send a private message to this user    
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Any info? please RA23 4 stud to 5 stud axle. Thu, 13 November 2003 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, I got the front struts done, and was simply going to cut down a BW diff for the rear with discs, however was offered money for the struts and lower control arms and never found the time to build another set. I actually went to a 5x120 PCD, as I used Commodore struts, and was going to use a Commodore diff out the back too. You'll need to bore and brace the lower control arm to take the larger Commodore ball joint to make the job easy!
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Any info? please RA23 4 stud to 5 stud axle. Thu, 13 November 2003 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or try MS65 crown hubs straight onto the celica stub axle and run MA70 discs.

it'll give u ford/hilux offset
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Any info? please RA23 4 stud to 5 stud axle. Thu, 13 November 2003 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
edit, you will need to make a caliper bracket.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Any info? please RA23 4 stud to 5 stud axle. Thu, 13 November 2003 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Or as another idea, RA40/60/etc. (maybe 23??) stub axles are actually the same size a commodore ones, meaning you can just throw on a set of dunnydore rotors Evil or Very Mad
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Any info? please RA23 4 stud to 5 stud axle. Fri, 14 November 2003 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But then you have to muck around with a brake mount. I found it easier to use the whole Commodore strut and modify the lower control arm to accept it. The setup can then run a 330x28mm rotor and four piston calliper with no problems whatsoever.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Any info? please RA23 4 stud to 5 stud axle. Fri, 14 November 2003 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Which Commodore strut did you use, ie which model?
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Any info? please RA23 4 stud to 5 stud axle. Fri, 14 November 2003 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fantastic guys, thanks, that will sort out the front. Now comes the back end, I have a MKII Corona "F" series rear end setup, with LSD, and wonder what other Toyota axles with 5 stud would fit? The current Axle is:
Length from bearing outer to shaft end 626mm approx.
Spline is 27.7mm approx. dia with 27 teeth.
Now if an old imported MS55/MS65 (AMI assembled had BW diffs) is near the same length I will be in business. Does anyone have this information to hand? Your help is greatly appreciated.

regards Chuck.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Any info? please RA23 4 stud to 5 stud axle. Fri, 14 November 2003 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
some info here on the crown hubs http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/loats/technical/ma61 /fronthub.html
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Any info? please RA23 4 stud to 5 stud axle. Fri, 14 November 2003 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChuckLandwehr wrote on Fri, 14 November 2003 15:48

Fantastic guys, thanks, that will sort out the front. Now comes the back end, I have a MKII Corona "F" series rear end setup, with LSD, and wonder what other Toyota axles with 5 stud would fit? The current Axle is:
Length from bearing outer to shaft end 626mm approx.
Spline is 27.7mm approx. dia with 27 teeth.
Now if an old imported MS55/MS65 (AMI assembled had BW diffs) is near the same length I will be in business. Does anyone have this information to hand? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Chuck I'd be going for the non BW stuff....I'm pretty sure the BW stuff has a coarser spline. So MS55 Deluxes, an ultra rare import MS65 or the later MS85s would be where I'd start looking.
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Any info? please RA23 4 stud to 5 stud axle. Fri, 14 November 2003 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rob, you are a legend. GTomato, I will be looking at the Crowns this WE.

Regards Chuck.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Any info? please RA23 4 stud to 5 stud axle. Fri, 14 November 2003 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Although I've got a 2 sets of the 330mm Commodore rotors here, and damn they're heavy buggers, the commodore cup guys reckon they crack too, plus pricey... Not many people speak that highly of them.
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Any info? please RA23 4 stud to 5 stud axle. Fri, 14 November 2003 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie, I used a VN strut. They can run the big rotors but yes they will crack under race conditions unless treated (and then will still crack eventually), as all rotors designed for the street will. Having said that, a Commodore cup car is a bit heavier than an old Celica too.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Any info? please RA23 4 stud to 5 stud axle. Fri, 14 November 2003 06:06 Go to previous message
I'm thinking this would be a good upgrade for my MA61; I figure since RA23 and MA61 struts are interchangeable it should be just as easy to adapt into an MA61! The 330mm rotors may not be that great but they're bound to be a lot better than the 258mm rotors I have now. Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:supercharger LED
Next Topic:Ta22 convertion
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Oct 18 17:26:57 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0070350170135498 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.