AuthorTopic
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
SA63 struts into MX62 follow up Fri, 19 December 2003 00:54 Go to next message
I questioned doing this some time ago and finally got around to trying it :S

SA63 struts will NOT fit an MX62 Cressida! Crying or Very Sad

For a few reasons that follow....
* Struts tops have different PCD (5mm difference), this isn't a big deal as I just ripped out the spring compressors and change the tops initially, tho it did surprise me a fair amount (expected the tops to be the same) Embarassed

* One of the bolts on the SA63 caliper fouls on the MX62 steering arm, meaning that the struts do not fit in once the tops have been changed.

* Although they share the same wheel bearings (and hence the hubs are interchangeable) it is not possible to change the calipers and hubs onto the MX62 struts as the caliper mounting hole to hole distance is different (smaller on the MX62 struts).

SO....it looks like I'll be keeping the original brakes for a fair while longer Rolling Eyes and possible looking into finding a set of GX6X struts (280mm rotors)

Cheers
Wilbo
  Send a private message to this user    
chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: SA63 struts into MX62 follow up Fri, 19 December 2003 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what has prompted a sudden need for upgraded brakes...drivin the grandpa mobile hard??? Laughing

driving hard and 5ME arnt usually in the same sentence.. Razz
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: SA63 struts into MX62 follow up Fri, 19 December 2003 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wilbo: Am I right saying that MX62 struts have similar caliper mounting than XT130(moulded into struts)? If so, could you measure the bolt spacing? Thanks!
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: SA63 struts into MX62 follow up Sun, 21 December 2003 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jayem wrote on Fri, 19 December 2003 23:27

Wilbo: Am I right saying that MX62 struts have similar caliper mounting than XT130(moulded into struts)? If so, could you measure the bolt spacing? Thanks!

Umm yeah I think it was molded onto the strut :S not 100% sure tho...also think it was 90mm off the top of my head?

I might look into celica steering arms to make it fit :S

The reason for a brake upgrade? Why not if you have the struts sitting there was what I was thinking! (which i did have)

Cheers
Wilbo
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: SA63 struts into MX62 follow up Sun, 21 December 2003 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks!
Have you tried to put left strut to the right and vice versa.
So that calipers would be on the front side.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: SA63 struts into MX62 follow up Mon, 22 December 2003 02:24 Go to previous message
nope didn't try that.... don't know if i can be arsed either now that I've found that I can get KYB's for the front (little surprised there!), does anyone know if MX62 front shocks will fit the celica struts (namely SA63)? If so I might look at putting left -> right? (means I can buy the shocks and know that I can use them no matter what)

why is it that the calipers are on the rear in the first place, slightly better leverage?

Cheers
Wilbo
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:How to remove strut
Next Topic:AE82 CLUBMAN 16v ?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 21:32:59 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061259269714355 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.