Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Members Rides » My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

icon10.gif  My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Sat, 20 December 2003 06:48 Go to next message
Hey all,

Updating this post:

GA61 Celica XX (import!)
1G-GTE (seems to be a bit of a hybrid between all 3 gens, gen1 turbos, gen3 block and head, gen2 wiring).
4 wheel ventilated discs.
MA61 LSD (whenever I install it)
W55 gearbox

Anyone in Adelaide who spots a Celica XX with the plates "CELIXX" then thats me Very Happy Silver on Black plates Wink

[Updated on: Sat, 30 April 2005 06:38]

Send a private message to this user    
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: My GA61 Celica XX Mon, 22 December 2003 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hiya,

I actually looked at buying this car when it was for sale as part of doing a 2JZ-GTE/7M-GTE conversion until I found out that it was a GA61 and that it only had a 1G-GE engine.

Mind you, it seemed to be in good nick , but I was appalled at the car salesman - what an absolute knob.

Good luck and look forward to seeing it on the road

Cheers

Michael B

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX Mon, 22 December 2003 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks awesome dude! Smile Very nice condition. You have a 4.3:1 diff right, which would explain the annoying 2000rpm at 60kph? Smile Your car would be a perfect candidate for a 1GGTE, hopefully in the next couple of months I'll be able to tell you how they go! Smile

If I were you though I wouldn't be spending any money on stuff that isn't going to be of use with the new engine, it will be money you won't recover and have to find again when doing a conversion.
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: My GA61 Celica XX Tue, 30 December 2003 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fuck me, thats lovely, its a great colour Evil or Very Mad

i thought it was jcmf's car for a second there, i thought he'd finished it....

looking ery nice though. fairly unique- not an ma61 but not a ra60 either Surprised
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX Fri, 02 January 2004 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Evil_Foetus wrote on Tue, 30 December 2003 09:43

i thought it was jcmf's car for a second there, i thought he'd finished it....

Hahaha, hey look, there's a flying pig Smile

[Updated on: Fri, 02 January 2004 08:17]

HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX Fri, 02 January 2004 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks guys!

On new years I was talking to some people (who had just bought a very clean R33 GTR.... $50,000!) and they suggested I pay the $5000 to get a 1JZ-GTE put in. Apparently it's one of those drive in drive out jobbies (with a fair wait inbetween the two!). A bit more torque wouldn't hurt.

justcallmefrank, how much does the GA61 weigh? I'd think it's less than the MA61 but more than the RA6x.

It looks like an LSD, but I have to check the model numbers to make sure... i'd like to know Smile
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: My GA61 Celica XX Sat, 03 January 2004 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Sun, 15 September 2002 18:39

Nice long post...when you find out...tell me! At last I've finally gone and bought a car to f#*$ around with!

Laughing
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX Sat, 03 January 2004 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha, I'm guestimating around the 1250-1275kg mark depending on the spec.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX Sun, 04 January 2004 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guys,

I was talking to a few mates last night about the engine, they seemed to have two schools of thought. There was the typical "get forced induction, cheap easy power" etc etc. and then there was the others who were talking about working the 1G-GE, spending plenty of money making it do some impressive RPM and power.

What would be the best way to go? I do like the idea of a NA 2L inline 6 revving past 9000rpm and producing more than 200hp Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX Sun, 04 January 2004 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Personally I'd be starting with a 1GGTE, 210hp out of the box, bolts in, power is easy to get. If you were after decent NA power I'd be inclined to fit a 2JZGE.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: My GA61 Celica XX Sun, 04 January 2004 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2JZGE in MA61 here.

To quote Dr Malcom from Jurrasic Park: "Must go faster"

Im gonna work this sucker and its 220hp stock. You adapt to the new power so quickly.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX Sun, 04 January 2004 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd like to keep the 1G based engines in there, for some reason keeping the stock engine and upgrading it seems more satisfying. Plus I dont care about how fast it goes in a straight line, I want useful power (ie. I dont want to deal with the issues turbo's introduce like lag, the fact that they deliver a load of power so easily upsets cornering etc.).

Plus, a highly worked 1G-GE seems pretty unique...
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: My GA61 Celica XX Sun, 04 January 2004 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a 2jzge is non turbo and is a 3L straight 6.

Unfortunetly you can throw a stack of money at a 1GGE but the 2J will always come out on top.

Just my 5 cents.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX Sun, 04 January 2004 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh I know that, but i'm not after insane amounts of power Smile

The 1G-GE would be lighter than a 2JZ-GE wouldn't it?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX Mon, 05 January 2004 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Even for modest amounts of power you'd be at a disadvantage. In terms of power delievery a 1GGTE with factory turbos and possibly a 3" exhaust and air filter will make MUCH more useful power than any naturally aspirated 1G. It will have neither lots of lag nor a peaky power delivery.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX Mon, 05 January 2004 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, and a 1G would be lighter yes, but never enough to offset the decreased potential for power.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX Sun, 25 April 2004 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It now has a 1G-GTE sitting in the bay Smile

Will be running soon...
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX Mon, 26 April 2004 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yay! Take lots of pics Smile
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX Mon, 26 April 2004 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.users.on.net/hydra/cars/celixx/images/s wap/ Should have most of the pics... there'll be way more soon, just need to shrink them all down Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 27 April 2004 01:29]

ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: My GA61 Celica XX Mon, 26 April 2004 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice Ride Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX Mon, 26 April 2004 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That link doesn't work for me Sad
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX Tue, 27 April 2004 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oops! Fixed!!

http://www.users.on.net/hydra/cars/celixx/images/s wap/
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX Sun, 16 May 2004 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, wiring has been done... as far as I can tell anyway Smile Getting the ignitor/coil module this week, and hopefully the exhaust/intake/intercooler as well Smile

As for a time frame, who knows Smile Getting the coil/ignitor on thursday, exhaust could happen anytime I guess, it depends on AAA Exhausts. Also, I need to work out how i'm gonna get the car there... thinking i'll just call a tow truck.

Argh! I hope it runs when the ignitor/coil is put in... I am getting withdrawel here Sad
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX Sun, 23 May 2004 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's ALIVE!

Well... it revs to idle then dies... there isnt any piping from AFM to turbo intake, nor from turbo outlet to throttle body.

But it seems to be working all good! Did an engine diagnosis just for fun, came up good!

Now to get it some exhaust/intake/intercooler action.
WA_TRD_83
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: My GA61 Celica XX Fri, 04 June 2004 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maaad - nice to see another GA61 down under..
and to quote Milhouse Vanhouten "I thought I was the only one!" Razz
It still had the 1GGEU in it too!! Just like mine!
I love the revviness of the 1G engines.. they go good.. well, mine does!! hehe
but at the end of the day - the need for boost takes over.. and its still itching at me as the saving continue to grow... slowly. Confused

Nice colour too! I thought they came in white (mine), red, grey, black.. and thats about all I've seen!! Nice to see something different!

it would be handy if your link went to some sort of web page too.. doesn't seem to be working for me?! ..little help!

Cheers - Keep cruisin!

DAMO
TRD 83
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX Thu, 17 June 2004 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll fix all the links up tonight... I am having trouble accessing my webspace from work Sad

So we have what, 3 GA61's now? Nice!

I've been a little slack lately with the whole intercooler/intake/exhaust part of this car... but I promise i'm going to try get it running within 2 weeks (hoping nothing is wrong with the engine). I bought a timing belt last night - $69.95 from toyota... thankfully my friend owed me so that was ok Smile

Water pump and timing belt are to be replaced tonight, or tommorow night. Saturday I might have to wave byebye to it I hope... as it goes somewhere (dunno where) to get the intercooler and intake piping done up, then hopefully I can get it towed to AAA for the exhaust.

I really hope it runs.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX Fri, 09 July 2004 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Who wants an update? Anyone? I know I do!!

Take a look here:

Sorry, No pics for now...

Thanks go to M.W.P for taking the pics and hosting them! Smile

The car is ALMOST ready to be driven again. After connecting all the intercooler and intake piping up, we tried to run it... no go Sad

Turns out the injectors weren't getting power Rolling Eyes so we quickly provided them with a bit of power and tried again... fired up nicely, until the key was let off "start" and back to "on"... the fuel pump wasn't getting any power unless it was on "start"! So tommorow i'm just going to create my own fuel pump / injector power source... Using a relay to switch them, and a nice looking set of fuses for both the injectors and fuel pump.

Lets hope that tommorow night i'll be driving CELIXX again!!

[Updated on: Tue, 03 August 2004 09:21]

HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX Fri, 09 July 2004 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh wow, how could I forget to mention the price that AAA Exhausts in Adelaide charged me!!

For the 2.5" exhaust including 2.5" cat, "muffler" (it's a damn pipe inside a oval cylinder!), all flanged, and custom flange from the turbo out pipe... mild steel, press bent (not worth mandrel bending)... and the intercooler piping, mandrel bent, stainless (i convinced them to try it out Smile), plus a nice stainless intake pipe... $850!!!!

AAA come VERY highly recommended from me... not only did they create a fantastic exhaust system and other pipes, their customer service is awesome! They are very good people there Smile
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX Sat, 10 July 2004 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok guys... You might have spotted my recent problem thread in Tech and Conversions... Well, i'm going to call fours'n'more and see what they say tommorow, but I suppose either way the engine will be rebuilt / replaced...

This has got me thinking, if i'm going to be rebuilding it, should I spend a bit more time and money on making things... better? Smile I mean, when you have the crankshaft out of an engine you really open yourself to doing even more to it.

I guess i'm after some suggestions as to what I should do while I have the chance to rebuild the engine.

Those who haven't seen the thread - started it for the first time and after a few seconds it started making a constant knocking sound from the bottom end... bearings Sad

Oh yeh, someone please tell my brain to stop thinking "while you're at it, go get a megasquirt" Razz

EDIT: Yes, I did have oil in the engine! It was at full Smile

[Updated on: Sat, 10 July 2004 23:32]

HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX Fri, 23 July 2004 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, Brenton came around the other night and picked up the engine... Might have it back this weekend!

I hope that I can spend saturday fixing up some wiring issues... like the ECU not getting power. I believe there is something wrong with the main relay, or the wires inbetween it and the ECU. Annoying.

At least this gives me a chance to clean up the engine bay a lot! And I think i'll wrap the brake master cylinder with reflective stuff so the heat from the turbo's doesnt find it's way into the brake fluid too much...
HKS_TRD
Regular

September 2002
Re: My GA61 Celica XX Tue, 27 July 2004 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good to hear you are getting it all sorted out. I've still got those exterior pieces here for you.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX Fri, 06 August 2004 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahh yes, i'll have to come look/grab them soon Razz this whole engine thing has kept me busy lately Smile I'll probably be able to think about getting the part in a week or two.

Brenton called me last night, bearings have been ordered and gaskets are to be ordered today... Lets hope the engine is back in action by next week!! Wink
HKS_TRD
Regular

September 2002
Re: My GA61 Celica XX Fri, 06 August 2004 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm guessing they are fixing the engine under warranty seeing as it was DOA? Sounds like you will be able to make it to the next cruise. I dont think my car is going to be finished in time but I will most likely be there in someone elses car, so maybe I'll pass them onto you then.
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: My GA61 Celica XX Thu, 12 August 2004 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice sillycar nice..... Smile Smile
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX Fri, 13 August 2004 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heh thanks brett_celicacoupe!

Yeh I hope it'll be ready... in theory it will be.

This weekend, if I don't get the engine, besides swearing a lot I think i'll pull off the front bumper and clean it up a bit. The black bit needs a bit of a respray, and I need to mount the intercooler better.

Gonna call FnM later today about the engine, fuck I hope it's ready!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX Fri, 13 August 2004 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ARGH Mad Mad Mad Mad

Called them up, they haven't done anything about it... you'd think a warrenty repair would be a bit of a priority!!

So, unless there is some freaky twist of fate (which, I do not believe in.. fate that is), there'll be no 1G-GTE love this weekend for Hydra and his Celica XX :(:(Sad

I think i'll spend the weekend fixing the wiring issues and cleaning the engine bay... Hey, maybe I should paint it!! A nice matt black engine bay would be very cool Smile

I've been studying wiring diagrams for the past few days, and I think I know why I was having power issues before... More on that once I work it out Smile

I'm gonna do some rewiring anyway, get rid of the dodgy "lets get it running" wiring!!
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX Fri, 20 August 2004 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well it's closer once again... but probably no gte lovin' this weekend. They have the crankshaft they require, but it needs some cleaning up (a little surface rust even though it was sitting inside an engine block).

I am due to call FnM today, I just hope they tell me some good news like "the engine is all ready to be picked up! We'll drop it off tonight, right now!!"

I hope.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX Tue, 31 August 2004 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's thumb twiddling fun for Hydra!!

They got new bearings in for the crankshaft but they were the incorrect size apparently...

I'm just about at the stage where I give up on worrying, keep driving the sh!tbox around and pretend to be happy about it.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX Tue, 31 August 2004 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha, I share your pain, my car has been at the spray painters for about 6 weeks. After 2 it bothered me, after 3 it really bothered me. Now...I couldn't give a rats as long as it looks good Laughing
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX Wed, 01 September 2004 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I miss looking under the bonnet and seeing an engine in there!

*puts 4k from corolla in* Razz
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX Wed, 01 September 2004 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good news!

Brenton just called, they've located bearings to suite my 1G-GTE... They're apparently the late model bearings - 1990 onwards. Cearing companies do not make them... stupid, I know! So he has ordered the required bearings... looking at around $200 I think. Ouch.

BUT it's good, I want the car back, money is less of an object now.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX Mon, 06 September 2004 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm itching to get the engine back now, dammit!

I swear if they say it wont be ready for this weekend i'll go down there, pick up all the bits for it, take it home, buy myself a torque wrench and put it together myself!! Razz
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX Tue, 14 September 2004 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey, I might actually have an engine this week... Laughing Laughing Laughing
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX Tue, 14 September 2004 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah right Laughing Where did the bearings come from in the end?
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX Tue, 14 September 2004 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ACL and Toyota... F#*@ING bearings!!!!

Crazy shizbang mess of bearings... so much time and effort for one little engine.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX Fri, 17 September 2004 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think I jinx'd it again Sad
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: My GA61 Celica XX Fri, 17 September 2004 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are there any more pics of the exterior? is your avatar your car?? Surprised
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX Fri, 17 September 2004 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Two-tone silver Smile

Yes, thats it in the avatar!

Most of the pics will be somewhere in http://www.users.on.net/hydra/cars/celixx
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX Wed, 22 September 2004 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Engine rebuilt, I hope to have it this weekend....

Very Happy
matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: My GA61 Celica XX Wed, 22 September 2004 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you have a list of suppliers and approximate prices for the components in the rebuild?
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX Wed, 22 September 2004 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I will get a list asap...

It will be for a later model 1G-GTE (judging by the crankshaft bearing numbers)
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX Sun, 26 September 2004 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It has a 1G-GTE back in the bay now Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX Sun, 26 September 2004 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yay! Hope I can say the same thing come Friday Wink
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX Sun, 26 September 2004 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well then i'd better get mine running before then Wink
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX Mon, 27 September 2004 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got the intercooler pipes in yesterday, pretty hard work. I somehow lost a hoseclamp or two, which is a minor setback... going to get some more soon.

I'm going to do a little more wiring today, then it should be able to start it Smile I'll video it if I remember!
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX Mon, 27 September 2004 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh yeh, pics are offline for a day or two.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: My GA61 Celica XX Tue, 28 September 2004 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good to hear that you managed to finally get it back. You'll have to bring it round so that I can have a look

Cheers

Michael B
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX Tue, 28 September 2004 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sure do, which reminds me, I need to pay my rego...
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Tue, 28 September 2004 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's running... kinda.

The starter motor wont disengage... in fact, it was coming on when the key was in the "ON" position! I have my theories why though Smile

Tacho still isnt hooked up either, but that's tommorows job.

If all goes well, i'll be out driving it tommorow night!!
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: My GA61 Celica XX - Now 1G-GTE powered! Tue, 28 September 2004 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
good luck with the final touches Smile
Pages (3): [1  2  3  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3SGTE Powered Sprinter Nearly ready for action take2
Next Topic:Me and my Mark Three
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 09:54:19 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0097761154174805 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.