Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Wed, 07 January 2004 09:34 Go to next message
Hey,
Just had a few thoughts of 2 possible car choices,

A ae82 hatch twincam!

A st-162 Celica SX!!!

I like the st-162 celica a lot, coz it handles quite well stock, has a very lovely engine, and yeah I like them a lot..

I like the ae82 twincam because of the HIGH rev range, and the overal fun of the engine!!!

But yeah I'd love to get the celica a bit stronger up towards 6000rpm ish. I'd hope to hit 7000rpm of usable power...
I don't mind though, its just fun to rev!!

Any opinions would be really really appreciated..
Just after some point of views!
  Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Wed, 07 January 2004 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd definetly be after the ST162. Inside it is a much nicer car, it handles better and doesn't look so...shopping trolley.
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Wed, 07 January 2004 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Wed, 07 January 2004 20:41

I'd definetly be after the ST162. Inside it is a much nicer car, it handles better and doesn't look so...shopping trolley.

Yeah thats what I was thinking,
The interior looks 10 years younger in the celica,
The engine is a lot smoother too i thought.
The extra torque is very nice!
Mad RS
Regular

December 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Wed, 07 January 2004 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Evil or Very Mad Shopping trolly, I take offence to that!!!

Looking at it from the side........and with my clear wing....... tilting head..............OMG Shit, it looks like a Trolly!!!!!!!

Hey, but it goes like a shower of shit with the GZE in it. Laughing

I would still put a vote down for the Ae82 Twincam. With or without the GZE, they are one hell of a car. With a few suspension mods they handle great too. King lows with whiteline 21mm adjustable rear sway bar. OOOHHHH Goose bumps.

But I am biased. Wink Grin
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Wed, 07 January 2004 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so am I Very Happy
waynewatson
Regular

May 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Thu, 08 January 2004 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is there anyone on any forum that isn't biased? I think not my friends. Lucky SR TWINCAM was just after opinions.

I'd get the best condition 82 you can find, then mod the hell out of it. Depending on your age, they're easier on the wallet when it comes to insurance.

Actually, there's someone with one for sale in brisbane.
85kw at the WHEELS.
Brisbane.
Check twincam.org marketplace (or maybe here as well).
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Thu, 08 January 2004 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not biased, I just think the ST162 is a better car.
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Thu, 08 January 2004 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey,
I was trying to keep the mods as low as possible, and just get a good package for a first car, I do prefer the interior of the st-162, I do like the massive rev range on the ae82, i do prefer the styling a bit more on the celica too....

I'll have to take one for a test drive again!
HAHAHA!
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Thu, 08 January 2004 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go the celica

ae82 ugly
DiZ_
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Thu, 08 January 2004 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For you I rekon you would enjoy the ST162 better , it is definatly better than a twinky stock , and for a first car you wouldn't go wrong.
Hirogen
Forums Junkie

July 2002
      WTF is a jabber?
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Thu, 08 January 2004 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrian, you know you want an AE86, dont kid yourself Twisted Evil
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Thu, 08 January 2004 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah Diz I reckon ur right. the st-162 would be a bit more suited, the nicer interior, etc. just overal worth it, i reckon i'll stick with it, but could i get somemore ppls opinions, just to see what ppl reckon overal.... I think i've made up my mind, but yeah i'd love to know the rest of ur opinions,thanks to those who have posted!!!!
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Thu, 08 January 2004 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hasn't the st162 got a camry motor in it?? The 4age is a great engine coupled with the lightweight of the ae82. There was a celica with a better motor in it that revved to 7500rpm wasn't there?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Thu, 08 January 2004 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats the one, the 3SGE was never in a Camry.
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Thu, 08 January 2004 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The SX (the one that revs) had 103kw while ST had 86kW. The ST's motor smells suspiciousy like camry to me. Both have same bore and stroke and virtually identical power and torque figures. I heard camry's handle well with a full family in the car - buy one of those...!jokes... sorry to offend camry drivers (anyway, i had an 85 injected camry as my first car which was quick and handled well for what it was..and reliable).

In a car that age I'd just go out test driving celicas and ae82s (if you're not fussy) to find the one that drives the best, has no rust etc. When i was buying my twin cam ae82 i drove quite a few and the difference between the power was substantial, some of the twin cams were no quicker than a standard rolla. I ended up with one that drove well, not much rust etc...but brown interior (why the hell did toyota even have brown interior as option). Awesome cheap, quickish car Ive had for almost 3 years, all depends where preference lie. Some of the STs may be quicker than an SX due to the condition of the engine, injectors etc..

Have Fun Very Happy
PS was the sx celica of the day as quick as the 4age ae82 of the same era - i thought the rolla was a quicker car.

http://www.drive.com.au/buy/market_value/car_detai ls.asp?nvic=K99&make=TOYOTA&model=CELICA&a mp;series=SX&year=1988&body=
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Fri, 09 January 2004 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st162 all the way .. looks better - handles better - better engine Smile

mods wise you can do enough to them to get them moving swiftly without resorting to force fed Smile

see robst162's example .. possible mr2 3sge under that hood ( 80Kw at the front wheels! ) !

ive driven it and its a ball of fun !! very torquey for a fwd 4 banger and sounds creamy Smile

PS rob if you read this are you coming to dubbo - I owe you a lap of the block in the gt4 Wink

[Updated on: Fri, 09 January 2004 08:51]

TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Fri, 09 January 2004 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey,
I still prefer the st-162 i think,
I'll go test drive somemore...
I saw a MA61 Supra today (I think thats the model)
And it had the usual flaired wheel guards (i'm not too familiar with this car, but I'm pretty sure they came with them stock??)
And it had the supra rims (kinda like dish rims of the st-162 rims but were black) and it looked AWESOME, I'm wondering if i could get flairs on the st-162, something different i suppose???

I was hoping to stick with the stock engine if anything, i wasn't too keen on the engine swap idea for first car!
Regards

Adrian
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Fri, 09 January 2004 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok i might be bias but go the ST162. U will love it.
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Mon, 12 January 2004 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Definitely go the 162, whole heap of fun round corners, specially when u work the shocks,springs n chuck in some bars. Revs up high n sounds like a beast roarin when doin it, awesome first car mate
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Mon, 12 January 2004 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For sure 100% go the SX ST162. And never look back. When the engine dies bolt in a 173kW SW20 MR2 NA engine, and get up and fly.
Cheers,
Mitch.
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Tue, 13 January 2004 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im was considering an engine swap to a 3sge, but the cost has got me thinking to buying one of these as a "hobby" car. About how much would it cost to pick up one 2nd hand?
And are there any major problems/faults.
And do they handle well and what kind of pwoer wll you get @ wheels.
SXer
Regular

May 2002
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Wed, 14 January 2004 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I vote ae82.
1. More chuckable
2. Cheaper on fuel
3. 4-door practicality
4. Less hairdressery
5. Lighter
6. Smaller (less parking dramas - definitely an issue where I live)
7. you can call your car twinky
8. Better aftermarket support

At the end of the day - get whatever you prefer. Other peoples opinions don't really matter.
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Wed, 14 January 2004 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Yep, go the Celica. I got one for the missus, looking more for reliability and usefulness than performance and fun. And ended up with both! It's a great little car to drive, reliable, cheap and lots of fun. Since then, we put in a late model 3SGE out of an MR2. She now goes like the clappers and pulls out of 1st like a banshee. And still reliable and cheap to run & maintain. I'm still not really into FWDers, but I really like the SX162.

You'll also find quite a few of these late teenage cars without rust and in great condition. At least haidressers look after their cars! Smile

Enjoy,

Justin
waynewatson
Regular

May 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Wed, 14 January 2004 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So far i've been the only one who's mentioned the ($1000 odd) difference in insurance. That's the reason i chose a rolla over a celica. The first time i drove a 162 i was impressed, but once i did some more research, i found better value options.
I'm not saying the celica isn't/can't be a cainer, but at what cost?

[Updated on: Wed, 14 January 2004 04:08]

wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Wed, 14 January 2004 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well if your taht up in arms about an extra 1000revs how about you....... Rolling Eyes

Get an ST162 with a dead engine, and drop in a 4AGE.... Laughing

then you have got everything you want, although note, it will be slower cause the corolla is a lot lighter than a celica

and classique71 I have now disproven my theory on robs being a gen2, it is definatly a gen1, so were back to his yet unsolved powerful engine... Wink Rolling Eyes
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Wed, 14 January 2004 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

and classique71 I have now disproven my theory on robs being a gen2, it is definatly a gen1, so were back to his yet unsolved powerful engine...

lol, yes, wiso came and had a look and saw that it was still only a gen1. Ah the mysteries of what lies under my bonnet. Confused Smile Hoping for over 80kw at the wheels on Saturday.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Wed, 14 January 2004 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont know what it is but by HELL does it go Smile

thwe air induction setup couldnt have worked that good rob ?

BYW - ive made a similar one on the Gt4 - HAHA!! works a treat !
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Wed, 14 January 2004 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

BYW - ive made a similar one on the Gt4 - HAHA!! works a treat

heeeheee Razz we knowz what the carz wantz and what it needz Very Happy Wink Dude I would love to get out to Toyota Nationals to say hi to ya and see the improved beast! Shame it isn't closer to Dyno day you could hang around here for a while.. oh well
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Wed, 14 January 2004 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heh - i wont be " offiical toymods dyno " running until a few things on the gt4 have been " improved "

Shame i cant go for the " most improved " though - because i expect around 70 KW more by builds end going thru the treads

Anyway - ill be at dubbo - with a few " enhancements " over last time - Smile you have a pass to come for a spin already you have to redeem , anyway
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Fri, 16 January 2004 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I still slightly lean towards the ae82 in the sense that its cheaper, i could do more to it in terms of aftermarket and yeah performance wise, i've been told I should be able to get into the mid 80kw at the wheels from extractors, exhaust, advanced timing and cold air intake with K&n panel filter.... I could do ae92 Levin GTZ seats too. and parts are a bit easier to get in terms of doin the car up!!!

But yeah..
I still like the celica, its sleak and powerful stock.
Whats it like up a hill run???

Regards
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Fri, 16 January 2004 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A mate has a ae82 twincam, its had a rebuild, but has a lot of kms on the clock, he has extractors and 2" exhaust system. He also has 16 degrees advanced timing,

Now i also went in another ae82 twincam recently that was stock...
There was such a HUGE difference between them.. The second 4500rpm came in my mates car just went awesome, u really felt it kick in, the other one i went in, the stock one just felt like normal revving of any other motor, as if TVIS wasn't there...

Now what i'm thinking is, if i did the same mods to a stock st-162 sx, such as exhaust extractors and advanced timing say to 15-16 degrees would i notice the same type of difference in performance? The st-162 celica SX don't have the same type of TVIS kick that the ae82 has (the modified one).....

Any help would be fantastic
By the way, thanks everyone for ur time, MUCH MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Fri, 16 January 2004 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah but it could if you do those same mods, remeber the 3SGE is just a bigger version of the 4AGE Laughing (heres something for the corolla boys to argue over)

to be honest in an st162 you don't really notice an uphill, it pulls pretty much the same.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Sat, 17 January 2004 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yo have to realise that the 4AGE will always seem faster because it is working harder, whereas the 3SGE has more torque and is making good use of it. Extractors, cold air feed with pod, increased timing and 98RON fuel will mean the 3SGE will always have the edge on the AE82...not to mention it doesn't look so mundane.
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Sat, 17 January 2004 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So if i did those mods i'll notice TVIS kick in a bit more???

Would Advanced timing give me much of a gain??
And would anyone advice what sort of degrees we'd be looking at??

Regards!
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Sat, 17 January 2004 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I still say go the st162 ..

yhe gooda are already there - you dont have to build it up to be " sporty "

plus things like st185 stoppers " bolt on " , the 3sge is more powerful and torquey - which is better for hill fun , It looks sporty, and handles sweetly in stock form ..

do you want a sports car - or a hotted up hatch ?
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Sat, 17 January 2004 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Sat, 17 January 2004 12:10

I still say go the st162 ..

yhe gooda are already there - you dont have to build it up to be " sporty "

plus things like st185 stoppers " bolt on " , the 3sge is more powerful and torquey - which is better for hill fun , It looks sporty, and handles sweetly in stock form ..

do you want a sports car - or a hotted up hatch ?

I'd lean towards the sports car....
What are st185 stoppers please?
and would a st184 bumper fit on without too much problem???

Regards!
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Sat, 17 January 2004 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gt4 brakes , from my model , as far as im aware , are a direct bolt on - Ie big brake upgrade on the cheap ..

ask robst162 - hes done the conversion .. i think he used st185 brakes ( was either them or 165 gt4 brakes )

And no - a st184 bar wont fit a st162 .. they are completey different in shape
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Sat, 17 January 2004 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey,
I noticed the st-162 brakes are quite good even stock, but that would be a nice upgrade, would it cost much???

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Sat, 17 January 2004 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no idea - ask rob Smile
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Sat, 17 January 2004 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Will do,
To get a st-162 to Robs stage, would it be difficult?
Coz it seems to be a mystery why it goes soo well,
Could the mods he has done make that much difference?

And whats ur opinion on 15 degrees advanced timing?
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Sat, 17 January 2004 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
robs car has a decent exhaust on it - thats the biggest viusla improvement i can see . Proper extractors with a free flowing exhaust will give you the greatest gains in from stock performance levels ..

Run premium in the tank - remember jap cars are built with higher octane fuel in mind - so that will help ..

On top of that a good tune , spark plugs , leads etc will make it combust alot better ..

Not 100% sure on the advancing the timing bit .. though im pretty sure you wouldnt need to do it, unless you were looking at camming the 3sge ..

Get onto bill sherwood or terry obrien - both are on this forum and have experience in running 3sge's -

Terry races 3sge Mr2's, Bills building a 3sge beams Sprinter
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Sat, 17 January 2004 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
where to start.....

st185 brake calipers would bolt straight on, thats what Draza did, Rob and myself have st165 calipers, I think his costed about $150 on a lucky buy and mine came with my halfcut. Man it makes a lot of difference on stopping. although I have noticed on slow speed stops they don't tend to work as well as a High speed stops Confused (go figure)

I know my 3SGTE was running about 15 degrees advanced, the guys at the tune shop were shocked that it wasn't pinging, I think it's about 5 degrees now but I want to give it a go on 10 degrees advanced.

Stuart... decent exhaust Laughing he had extractors then a stock system Laughing , but now he's got a 2 1/4" sports system, hoping to see some gains on Sunday Shocked
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Sat, 17 January 2004 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The GT4 brakes look like a good option down the track...

Once the advanced would there be much of a gain for the movement? I think its 10 degrees stock, so say u went to 15 degrees, or maybe 16-17 degrees when running optimax, on a st-162, would it be a noticable and worthy modification??
would it boost up the kw at the front wheels by much? say 2-3kw? or more?
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Sat, 17 January 2004 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
must be bloody good extractors then - the noise it makes is creamy !!!

somethins very fishy with Robs st162 - but fishy in a good way - man was it fun to drive - even just around the block Wink

Be great to see him pull 90 KW this time Smile

( group a st185's with no boost controllers were pulling 95KW at the wheels! )

I might have to raise the .bar then - literally Smile

he might be too close for comfort Wink
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Sat, 17 January 2004 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to be honest I haven't actually noticed much difference when they retarded the timing that 10+ degrees on mine, it was 17 actually. I think you don't really notice 2kw max on a power output change, you really don't notice difference until it's over 5kw difference IMO, so it may be an alright mod to do, it's your choice
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Sat, 17 January 2004 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Sat, 17 January 2004 22:38

must be bloody good extractors then - the noise it makes is creamy !!!

somethins very fishy with Robs st162 - but fishy in a good way - man was it fun to drive - even just around the block Wink

Be great to see him pull 90 KW this time Smile

( group a st185's with no boost controllers were pulling 95KW at the wheels! )

I might have to raise the .bar then - literally Smile

he might be too close for comfort Wink

Damn, I want Robs car lol!!
I'm just trying to get mine to Robs state lol!!!
Reckon its just the extractors???
LOL......

Unfair hahaha!!

Wiso - Only one way to find out about the advanced timing! hehehe!
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Sat, 17 January 2004 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How do you think I feel stuart.

yes he has a very fishy engine (now where has he hidden that turbo it must be well camoflaged Laughing )

if he pulls 90kw's I will be soooo pissed, mine with the (cough stock) 3SGTE pulls about 90kw's at the wheels. I think I might have to as well.

At least he can never match that torque (at least I hope not for our sakes Confused ) Hi Rob Laughing Razz Smile Wink
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Sat, 17 January 2004 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude - you need a boost controller !

i was soo unhappy jan when that suss 20 valve tercel thing pegged me by 6 Kw. hes got no hope of pegging me next time though without a snail on his motor Smile

february will tell if i peg 140KW at the wheels or not, before engine rebuild and highflow! Im So hoping the Ecu delivers what im being fed by wolf + the dump pipe liberates horsies.

if it dont - im buying a jza80! * hahaha *

I just had a idea !

rob can sell his st162 to Sr twincam - Rob buys a st165 Gt4!

Hehe !!

Oh yeah - Hi .. erm .. Rob Smile

Very Happy
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Sat, 17 January 2004 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Sat, 17 January 2004 23:02

dude - you need a boost controller !

i was soo unhappy jan when that suss 20 valve tercel thing pegged me by 6 Kw. hes got no hope of pegging me next time though without a snail on his motor Smile

february will tell if i peg 140KW at the wheels or not, before engine rebuild and highflow! Im So hoping the Ecu delivers what im being fed by wolf + the dump pipe liberates horsies.

if it dont - im buying a jza80! * hahaha *

I just had a idea !

rob can sell his st162 to Sr twincam - Rob buys a st165 Gt4!

Hehe !!

Oh yeah - Hi .. erm .. Rob Smile

Very Happy

Interestin concept LOL!!!!!
But yeah i'm goin for my first car, and dads lending me a few grand for the car so he'd wanna see the car too...
So i'd have to ship them over, and my bro would probably wanna have a look at the car too HAHAHAHahahahahAH!!!!

But yeah i've got lots of ideas hahaha!
Thanx for the idea lol!
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Sat, 17 January 2004 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes I know I do, trying to decied, single stage or duel stage pnumatic
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Sun, 18 January 2004 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PUNKS

Talking about me I see... I come back here and there is all this talk about my car, and I am like, what! Smile

Yeah, was hoping for a little more than I got, but I certainly didn't want to rain on Joel's party! Turns out I was no where near anyway. Smile

Wait till I get the whole exhaust done. Adrian, you wanna buy my car for 7k?

My engine is wierd. But it is a) invincible and b) powerful so I am not complaining. Though I think I just tempted fate here... maybe I should revise that. it is a)nice and tough if looked after properly and b) perky as

Stuart, it certainly feels a little freer at the top end with Joel's exhaust on it! And the air setup is better than ever. It's ALL about the air.. Joel, you KNOW I hid my turbo in my CAI pipe under the battery.. I am suprised you didn't see it Razz that is why I have all that tape and stuff on my airbox now - gotta keep the pressure up you know. (I put my airbox back on this week when the pod filter came unglued and almost feel off its mount)

Edit: typos

[Updated on: Sun, 18 January 2004 23:35]

wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Mon, 19 January 2004 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Rolling Eyes sorry

nahh man I wouldn't really care if you did get as high as I did without the use of a turbo I would be bloody impressed. that was what I originally wanted to do, but fate stepped in and took my 3SGE from me Sad

yes..... don't jinx yourself.... touch wood

Rolling Eyes I figured thats were you put it Laughing Laughing Smile
alwaysRA23
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Mon, 19 January 2004 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
personally, a 162 is....... ghey, with exceptions of course joel ur car rocks,

what you need to do is get ur self in the market for an ST165 GTfour model, that way, when people look at ur two door camry with disgust, you can blow them away and leave them looking like this Embarassed

either way what ever you buy its a toyota so ur deffinatly taking a step in the right direction! Very Happy
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Mon, 19 January 2004 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris man you know that whenever somone looks at the "two door camry" Mad , chances are it would blow it away anyway, an ST165 is only about .5 of a second faster than and ST162
alwaysRA23
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Mon, 19 January 2004 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joel, dude uve got to be shitting me

what kinda shit is that, what about thru the corners? off the lights? down the quarter? from 100km/h roll on?

have u had ur monster dynoed yet?? and what boost are you running?
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Tue, 20 January 2004 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The GT4 Stock does 0-100 in 7.7 I think the 162 does it in very high 8's stock.

good page this..

http://www.rallycars.com/Cars/Toyota_GT4/Street_Ce lica_ST165.html
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Tue, 20 January 2004 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh ok sorry an ST165 .5sec quicker on the quarter, while 1sec quicker on 0-100km. Rolling Eyes

yes had it dynoed, 89fwkw's, 6psi boost Smile

and ST162's can be good through cornering with a good suspension setup, plus on corner exit they don't have to wait for the turbo to spool up, they have thier power already there. Wink
alwaysRA23
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Tue, 20 January 2004 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
put the same suspension setups on the turbo model Rolling Eyes buuuuuut i guess bang for buck a 162 is a nice package... for a door wedge on wheels Razz
just kidding guys

just outta curiousity, what rpm are you making boost at?
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Tue, 20 January 2004 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alwaysRA23 wrote on Tue, 20 January 2004 12:35

put the same suspension setups on the turbo model Rolling Eyes buuuuuut i guess bang for buck a 162 is a nice package... for a door wedge on wheels Razz
just kidding guys

just outta curiousity, what rpm are you making boost at?

HAHAHAHA Always RA23 u have some of the funniest comments lol!!!
Wedge on wheels LOL!!!! Thanx for the opinion though. I considered the gt4, but for the price difference between the two (including insurance Shocked BIG DOLLARS) it doesn't seem worth it especially for the first car, i didn't wanna spend a lot of money on the insurance side of things...

I just did an online quote for insurance, first was RACV third party fire and theft, that was $654 on rating 6 (i haven't got a rating yet, well i do but its not a very low one yet LOL)
but yeah i did a quote on AAMI and i only got $401 third party fire and theft, they are pretty cheap.. I think they are usually ok with little mods, they aren't keen on engine mods i don't think.. I'll have to give them a call. But seeming how it will be a few months till i start on the suspension mods (coz i'm gonna have a small personal loan for the bit extra, i'll need to pay that off before the mods start coming in)...

But yeah Smile
alwaysRA23
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Car Choice!!! Just after a few opinions! Tue, 20 January 2004 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
ahhhhh dont pay any attention to me.. i just have a perticular distaste for 1 ST162 in perticular. long story, and not worth telling..

for a first car they are pretty reliable, have a fair bit of go. and have some excelent creature comforts. power windows sunroof power steering etc etc etc.

the 3sge is an excelent base to work with.

will look very schmicko with some wheels and drop it down an inch or 2.

to each thier own, and differant people like differant things. with the right treatment any car has the potential to be a performer! Smile Smile

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Do I need to remove engine to fix water pump?
Next Topic:1jz - order of mods?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 22:00:06 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0091090202331543 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.