Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Sat, 10 January 2004 21:07 Go to next message
Well I kinda started this by accident Friday.

Picked up a pair of calipers, well firstly the ones I got were smaller, still 4 pot but LN65 calipers.

These take a NON ventilated disc - I reckon for someone who doesn't want to go ventilated (I know fook was looking at this route) you could *prolly* bolt this caliper to the XT130 strut and use the stock XT130 disc and thats all.

So they were no good for me....I took them back and got LN130 calipers, which, kinda happen to be the same as LN106, but also, LN111, LN116, RN110, TN106, YN135, YN130, RN105, RN106, RN130 also. I know every single one of these calipers takes the bendix DB1149 pad (all identical pads) but what COULD be different is the 90mm bolt spacing for mounting to the caliper.

I can tell you that the LN130 calipers are indeed 90mm apart where they bolt to the strut. They are also EXTREMELY BLOODY HEAVY (as were the LN65 ones)

Its easy to see if you get the non ventilated type caliper and the ventilated type, as, the area where the disc rotates thru is very large on the ventilated vs the non ventilated (a ventilated rotor is 20mm thick vs the non ventilated which is 12.7 (both these are new thicknesses))

As far as brake pads go, well there is the following available - dorikan and phil have listed these :

Bendix : DB1149 - stock replacement pad. They are also available in metal king though.

EBC : these are blardy expensive tho.
Mitsubishi GTO : DP21097 (street) or DP31097 (race)
Nissan 200sx : DP21200 (street)
Toyota Hilux : DP807 (stock OEM) or DP2807 (greenstuff)

Remember that the dimensions of the stock pad are 119 x 72 x 15mm
The GTO's pad dimensions are 119 x 74 x 14mm
The 200sx pad dimensions are 120 x 70 x 14mm

I have to pickup some RT132/XT130 struts next week, so, the trial fitment and disc size (266mm is XT130 stock) will be figured...the peugeot F272 rotor indeed does look like the winner...with machining of the rotor down to 266mm being required as per dorikans article.

One question I do have (before i get the struts) is will the TA22 spring sit correctly in the lower seat of the XT130 strut? Does anyone know by chance?

HTH someone in their braking cause...
  Send a private message to this user    
tanman
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Sat, 10 January 2004 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The TA22 spring will rattle around in the XT130 strut. There is an inchs difference.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Sat, 10 January 2004 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know there is an inch of difference but what i'm asking is, is the lower seat the same on the xt130 as it is on the ta22 (ie: same design) (is the bottom of the coil on the ta22 the same as the xt130?)

FWIW the monroe gt gas shocks are as follows :

ta22 - 25-3936 (pair)
rt132 - 25-0180 (pair)
xt130 - 25-3648 (pair) sensatrac (stock not low : 27-3648 (pair))

[Updated on: Sat, 10 January 2004 21:42]

tanman
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Sat, 10 January 2004 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As far as I know the spring seats are the same. Are you going to shorten the struts an inch and use TA22 shocks/springs?
I have heard of people using XT130 shocks with custom lowered springs, but wouldn't this limit the suspension travel?

I can compare an XT130 strut with a TA22 one tommorow, you have me wondering now.
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Sat, 10 January 2004 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why not Pug604 discs?
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Sun, 11 January 2004 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am doing much the same conversion on my Mark II.

For anyone reading - the conversion is very similar, but there are differences. The bolt spacing is the same, but the caliper bracket is a bit different - it allows you to run the full 273mm disc without machining it down at all. The only thing you ned to do is adjust the bolt holes.

The caliper does also foul slightly on the steering idler arm/stopper (both sides) but this should be easy to get around with a washer or two and dialling out the toe with the tie rod ends.

I should know tonight how close I am Smile
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Sun, 11 January 2004 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've done this conversion on my KE35, using RT132 struts (shortened 40mm), AE92 shock inserts, Pug604 slotted discs and Landcruiser calipers. The calipers are identical to the Hilux ones except it has 2 big pistons and 2 small pistons. Also using Mitsubishi Scorpion control arms for more track, this isn't the best idea in the world as I later found that they foul the discs. Had to get a fair bit of machining and "massaging" to get everything to work together, and as it is I have between 0.5 to 1.5mm of clearance between the disc and control arm depending on suspension travel. Hmm!

7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Sun, 11 January 2004 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fook - did you get any machining done on the caliper itself? I would be interested to see pics as I may have to do a bit of the same myself.
rxtoy
Regular

December 2003
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Sun, 11 January 2004 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
demuire, those callipers are exactly the same as the later model hilux ones, two big pistons and two small. also i've got the same bits as you, including ae92 inserts but i'm not sure what spring to use, what did you use, how low is it (100mm clearance????) do you have much problem with scraping, did you use spacers in the bottom of your struts?

cheers
Matt
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Sun, 11 January 2004 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leigh: 3mm of the mounting tab face. Even machined down it's still heaps stronger than the mounting tab on the strut. Not much to see in pics, they still look exactly the same and you'd have to measure it to actually see any difference.

Matt: I'm using height-adjustable coilovers. 250lb, 250mm. Not sure if they are too tall or hard yet, car is still in pieces. It's not awfully low, most definately more than 100mm clearance, but then again there is no engine in it yet either... No spacers at the moment, have thought of running neg-camber RCA's (can't run normal RCA's due to silly control arms)

Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Sun, 11 January 2004 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fook, the pug 604 discs (ventilated) are the same on a few pug models - F272 is the DBA reference. (pug 504, 505 and 604 are same)

these big bastard things (calipers) they weigh a friggin tonne! sure if they don't stop you well enough dragging em on the ground for a bit might help slow you down.

i just pulled one of mine apart indeed my pistons appear to the exact same diameter. it seems my pads are almost brand new also.

what are the two pieces of thin steel on the back of the pad? any ideas? are these anti rattle devices or something or there to stop the squeak?

tanman if you could let me know about the seat that would be good...indeed i have to get my struts still from the wreckers (this week sometime)

out of interest what are people paying for these calipers?

demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Sun, 11 January 2004 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grega: Ah... Didn't pick up on the F272 thing, kept thinking it was a model of something (like a Ford truck or something Razz)

If I'm not mistaken the thin steel things at the back of the pad are anti-squeel things. I had them on my Excel, but don't have them on my Corolla...

As for price I paid $235 including the main rebuild kit (I now need to get the 2nd rebuild kit for the o-rings cause I had to split my calipers apart to machine them), but I think Leigh paid a fair bit less.
hiaaa
Regular

May 2002
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Sun, 11 January 2004 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got LN130 calipers on my 86 too, the 4 pistons are the same size. I paid $150 for my pair. I also got the same problem that the lower arm foul the discs, so I use a neg-camber RCA and the problem solved.

Leon
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Sun, 11 January 2004 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the lower arm WILL NOT foul the disc if you machine the hat of the disc rather than add spacers between the caliper and strut to get the right spacing. there is plenty of metal on the hat of the disc so it is quite safe. i wrote up an article specific to the ae86 and its in the gallery section: http://www.toymods.org.au/photo//TechDocs/ae86brak es.pdf
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Sun, 11 January 2004 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EvoSTI: My fouling was due to the ball joints on the Scorpion arms sitting a fair bit higher than the Corolla ones. I've machined off 4mm from the hub so actually moved the disc further away from the control arm, and even then it didn't clear...
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Sun, 11 January 2004 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whats the progress Grega?
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Sun, 11 January 2004 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fook........ford? arrrrgh runs and hides Evil or Very Mad
i figured them to be something like that. gotta get that red goo to chuck on the back of the pads to, to stop the squeal.

leon it seems most of those hilux calipers are the same actually.
mine are also ln130

evoSTI - nice article. i'll do something similar for the ta22...taken lots of pix of the calipers so far hope to get struts this week (rt132)

taplus22 - not much. gotta get struts.

demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Sun, 11 January 2004 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grega: Heheheehhehee... I dunno, everytime I think of F-(insert 3 digit number) I think of Ford trucks...

Umm... Anyone have any idea what the part number is for the o-rings for the calipers? I've got the rebuild kit K1054S, it doesn't include the o-rings and I've heard that it is a different part number? Or does anyone know what model Landcruiser/Hilux my calipers actually came from?
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Mon, 12 January 2004 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grega,
I paid $190 for a pair of LN106 calipers, and these are now on my RA23, RT132 struts Pug 605 rotors.
I weighted the standard RA23 front strut complete at 19kg, and my rebuilt Koni/Lovells,Hilux,Pug set-up at 21kg, so not a big weight difference.
I machined the 273mm rotors down 5mm to clear the caliper, redrilled the hat mounting holes, and spaced the calipers out over the rotor's using 1mm washers.
Cheers,
Mitch.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Mon, 12 January 2004 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep just picked up my pair of rt132 struts. all good.
thanks mitch for that info - 100% exactly what i'll be doing so it seems.

tell me are folks using the std ta22 steering arm and lower control arm, or, are they changing em (for different camber)

and what the hell do these RCA block thingos (roll camber adjusters) do?
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Mon, 12 January 2004 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grega,
You would know that the RA23 and RT132 struts are the same length, but TA22 and RT132 are not, so you are shortening the 132's to match the 22's and playing with combinations of spring perches ?
Cheers,
Mitch.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Mon, 12 January 2004 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mitch, yep, understand they are different lengths
the rt132 seat will remain and i'll use the ta22 tower bearing

the spring will be custom made shorter and with the specific coil setup for the rt132 seat/ta22 tower bearing.

ideally i don't want to shorten the strut, i know others havent bothered, i have to pull the whole shebang out and have a looksee.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Mon, 12 January 2004 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
these things are farken heavy and farken huge.

ok, so, the original rt132 rotor and caliper/strut, cool
http://www.ta22.com/images/brakes/rt132.jpg

and now for the oversize bitch arse massive farken hilux truck caliper
http://www.ta22.com/images/brakes/front.jpg

and if that wasn't big enough
http://www.ta22.com/images/brakes/back.jpg

and well, CLOSE UP (remember waynes world?)
http://www.ta22.com/images/brakes/jeezus.jpg

the farken caliper is almost the same length as the disc rotor Evil or Very Mad

and the dust shield *looks* like it can be modified to fit too.

and using the stock rt132 mounting location for the caliper to bolt to, 266mm is the maximum size of the rotor that will go thru here.

[Updated on: Fri, 01 April 2005 21:20]

purpleminiep
Regular

May 2002
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Mon, 12 January 2004 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
here are mine
http://members.iinet.net.au/~otanica/coilovera.jpg
http://members.iinet.net.au/~otanica/coiloverb.jpg

look pretty

Brad
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Mon, 12 January 2004 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just thought i might add that demuire has had alot of trouble finding wheels that actually fit his set up. Might be a small factor to consider before going to far.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Mon, 12 January 2004 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
purpleminiep, it looks like you machined down discs that were already slotted, is this true? i was under the impression machining them down to the slots would greatly increase the likelyhood of cracking. or did you have them slotted afterwards?either way the slots go to the edges and i just wanna know if youve had any problems, not trying to critisize or anything, just curious.
rxtoy
Regular

December 2003
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Mon, 12 January 2004 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in the original tech article i read about this conversion they suggested filing out the inside of the calliper rather than reducing the size of the disc, has anyone done this??? and if so have they had any problems with the structural integrity of the calliper. i haven't got my callipers yet so i can't see how much i'd have to file out but i'd rather go about it this way, purely for pose factor, i love big discs behind a nice set of wheels
Very Happy

and how hard is it to completely strip the calliper cause i'm thinking about acid dipping and powder coating...........

cheers,
Matt
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Mon, 12 January 2004 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine foul in three places.

#1 on the wheel (14x5" factory steel rims) - solved with Bluebird TRX rims, but will be getting something a touch nicer when funds permit

#2 disc on caliper - need to either machine the mounting tab or the inside of the caliper by about 1mm.

#3 (and this is the nasty one) the caliper on the idler arm. The plan is that I will solve this by spacing out the idler arm and adjusting the tie rod ends.

Will advise once 2 & 3 are done.. will probably do a pictorial on my site.

Fook - you can borrow one of my TRX rims for a trial fit if you like!

lmdwyer@turbosupras.com
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Mon, 12 January 2004 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, I paid $75 for the pair... and $200 for slotted rotors.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Mon, 12 January 2004 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brad - nice coil overs. nice brakes too. i hope that you're going to change that solid brake pipe to flexible hose and thats not how it runs...

sources recommend slotting AFTER turning the rotor down.

as far as wheels go, i'll grab a corona rim (14") and try it on there - see how we go - will post pix too...otherwise 15" here i come...

so far this conversion has cost me $100. gotta see about the expensive bits now (rotors, springs and struts Sad )

ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Tue, 13 January 2004 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grega,
If your Corona 14inch steel rim is similar to the RA23 14in steel rim, you might find it just scraps the calipers, (like at two points for every one complete rotation of the rim) like I did in my conversion.
I just put some water based paint on the inside of the steel rim where I guessed it might be catching, bolted it on, spun it round, and then ground off with a 4 inch grinder at the rubbing points. I maybe ground away 0.5mm max over a 3cm length or some other small amount.
FWIW, I found that some 15x6 Soarer rims also just catch the caliper, again at two points, but I'm loathe to take the grinder to the inside of the spokes of an alloy rim.
Cheers,
Mitch.
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Tue, 13 January 2004 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My setup:

http://images4.fotki.com/v51/photos/1/12090/417152/12150001-vi.jpg
http://images4.fotki.com/v50/photos/1/12090/417152/12150005-vi.jpg

Leigh: have found a set of rims that do fit thanks to people100. 14" rims do fit if you can get the right offset, and the "style" of the back of the rim has to be the same too. On mine I had to have a "hat" of at least 15mm between the mounting face and the spoke face in order to clear the caliper (while at the same time keeping the backspacing 110mm or less).

Ben: Is your dad still interested in selling those rims?

Grega: Why change the solid brake pipe to flexible hose? Can you run the solid brake pipe to the strut mounting tab and then run a flexible line from there? That was what I was thinking of doing.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Tue, 13 January 2004 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fook, sorry it looks like the line is braided and not solid...i looked at it briefly this morning and freaked......running a solid piece of bundy b/w the body and the caliper would not be a good idea, although the braided line does look a little short...

demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Tue, 13 January 2004 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grega: Ah, now I understand Razz Didn't look at Brad's photo properly before. Yes the braided line does look a little short doesn't it?

I was going to run the solid line from caliper to strut mounting tab, then flex line from there to body tab, and then solid line into the engine bay (as is in stock)

Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Tue, 13 January 2004 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fook - thats the way to go mate. for sure. i'll be doing the same but prolly will use the braided shit (only the ADR approved braided shit mind you)
purpleminiep
Regular

May 2002
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Tue, 13 January 2004 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah the lines are shorter than i expected. Ill probably get some longer ones made. Why do you need to run the solid line from the caliper to the strut?

Brad
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Tue, 13 January 2004 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes my dad is still selling the rims demuire. Just have to organise to get them as he is in gatton. About 1hr drive towards toowoomba.
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Tue, 13 January 2004 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben: No problems, yeah I know where Gatton is Smile I'm not in any major hurry to get them, so whenever...

7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Tue, 13 January 2004 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fook: On that note, can I borrow one of your rims then? I would lurve to keep my steelies/hubcaps...
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Tue, 13 January 2004 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leigh: The rims I have that do fit are not steelies, and will not take hubcaps. They are hotwires, and based on the offset I suspect they came off a datsun.

[Updated on: Tue, 13 January 2004 14:16]

ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Wed, 14 January 2004 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grega,
I'm in here late and its most likely old news now, but the LN106 calipers on the RT132 struts make for some evil tight turns if you use the original TA22 lower brake hoses. Rather than buy new ones at $35 each and have the same problem, I got a pair of custom longer ones made up. They are 35mm longer and cost $30 each. They fit very nicely. I'm still running the original upper hoses, obviously no problem with these for length and tight turns.
Mitch.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Wed, 14 January 2004 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no worries mitch
i'll be getting some ADR approved braided shit made up to suit

what are folks doing with struts and springs...i'm considering a setup like brads with the coilovers...but then there is the strut/spring combo....thoughts?
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Tue, 20 January 2004 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok

i can tell you that using the original TA22 celica upper mount that the original spring from your TA22 will fit prefectly in the RT132 strut lower seat and remain captive.

as it turns out the RT132 spring and TA22 original springs I have are the EXACT same length FWIW.

now for the stiltsens to remove the original oil struts to see what we have to play with there...

oh. at the OD of the bolt that holds the hub to the strut is 9.3mm and the holes in the RT132 stock 266mm rotor are 10.3mm

[Updated on: Tue, 20 January 2004 02:59]

T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Mon, 01 March 2004 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how is the progress going grega?
and what is the process in shortening the RT132 strut to ensure enough suspension travel? Cut'n'shut?
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Mon, 01 March 2004 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I took them back and got LN130 calipers, which, kinda happen to be the same as LN106, but also, LN111, LN116, RN110, TN106, YN135, YN130, RN105, RN106, RN130 also

Has TN106 2T or 3T Razz .

But anyway here's my progress.

http://toyotacover.50megs.com/cgi-bin/i/jarrurumba /P2260010.jpg

http://toyotacover.50megs.com/cgi-bin/i/jarrurumba /P2270007.jpg

http://toyotacover.50megs.com/cgi-bin/i/jarrurumba /P3020021.jpg

http://toyotacover.50megs.com/cgi-bin/i/jarrurumba /P3020023.jpg

http://toyotacover.50megs.com/cgi-bin/i/jarrurumba /P3020025.jpg

http://toyotacover.50megs.com/cgi-bin/i/jarrurumba /P2260004.jpg

http://toyotacover.50megs.com/cgi-bin/i/jarrurumba /P2260007.jpg

http://toyotacover.50megs.com/cgi-bin/i/jarrurumba /P2260009.jpg

http://toyotacover.50megs.com/cgi-bin/i/jarrurumba /P3020017.jpg

http://toyotacover.50megs.com/cgi-bin/i/jarrurumba /P2260015.jpg

Combo so far is RS-50 Crown hubs, BMW 530i rotors (DBA675), TT-132 struts with coil-overs, YN-105 HiLux calipers.
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Mon, 01 March 2004 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OH! look out for "rather biggish" images!
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Mon, 01 March 2004 18:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes its been a while hasn't it. money and waiting on things and being busy doesn't help...

i have my rotors now - turned down to 266m (jayem, take note - you may have to get those 675's turned down from 284 to 266 - otherwise they might not fit)

i was going to go coil over but simply could not justify the cost - not for a car which will hardly ever see road use - so i got stock RT132 strut inserts (yesterday) which i'll be using with my king springs from my TA22 (the lower spring seat is 15mm higher on the RT132 strut than the TA22 strut - i don't see this as being an issue except the top 4-5 coils on the lowered king spring are very soft - and i'm thinking they may actually bind up (but only time will tell here) - will have to see with installation how i go here.

jayem, yes indeed. they're all the same hey. all good.

i also got a mitsu pajero/triton 15/16 MC (thanks to fook you are a genius) which bolts straight up to the celica booster - i've bent up some brake lines which fit nicely now - although clearance to the drivers side strut tower is about 5mm BUT its dual circuit and much better than the stock shitty single circuit MC and larger bore too. only cost $135 trade too.

last night i painted up the struts - and also cleaned up my lower control arm and painted that too while i was in the mood (would have finished lastnight but went to motorshow instead) will also be installing my front whiteline swaybar as well. also have to get a grease gun from somewhere and lube up my lower ball joint and make sure thats happy while i'm in there.

then its a case of putting the new bearings and shells into the freshly cleaned (and painted) hubs installing them and the rotors to the struts and, then i get to rebuild the calipers (fun) and we should have assembly.

i'll get of my FLA and take some photos too. slack.

Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Mon, 01 March 2004 18:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

i have my rotors now - turned down to 266m (jayem, take note - you may have to get those 675's turned down from 284 to 266 - otherwise they might not fit)

Yes I'm aware of that. I already turned front hubs down by 10mm. I have to lathe spigot spacer too, but that's not a problem.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Thu, 04 March 2004 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
finally a friggin picture.

http://www.ta22.com/images/brakes/struts007.jpg

rt132 strut housing (stock)
rt132 strut insert (new monroe gt gas (25-0180))
king spring ta22 (fits corona bottom seat and ta22 stock top bearing plate 100% spot on)
whiteline 22mm front swaybar (fucking huge)
mackay swaybar link arm bushes and trimmed crush tube

FWIW the rt132 lower spring seat is 15mm higher than the ta22 one - so the ta22 spring may need to be 15mm shorter...(a custom king spring will suit this fine)

note the quality "super cheap" jack. $19.95 - bargain Wink

[Updated on: Fri, 01 April 2005 21:21]

T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Thu, 04 March 2004 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey, I'm after a quick response please: how much were you springs/shocks?
And from what I hear, the TA22 spring and the Corona springs both fit the lower housing due to the dual circumference seat. Not sure if its the rt132 one however.

I've been quoted the following from IDB in the city, what you think.

BOLT ON KIT. $975
Corona strut (looks identical to the one in your pic with the 'forged' caliper mounts)
Sumitomo twin spot calipers - spaced out to fit.
Brembo disc - diameter machined down to fit.
New pads (forgot to ask about them)
All parts are New or AS new reconditioned.

Due to his experience and bolt on application: $120 to fit it on the car.

KYB front Inserts: $290. Suited to the lowered springs.

King Springs linear lowered 25-30mm: $135

I don't think he is making much money on the shocks/springs.
And I can't pass up $120 to fit it all up.

kit $975
labour 120
KYB inserts 290
King Springs 135
Total $1520

Anyone think they can do it cheaper ? And within a week?
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Thu, 04 March 2004 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jeeeeezus no.

what they are basically selling you is a rt132/xt130 strut!
the sumitomo twin pot caliper is what comes with the strut STOCK!

my costs :

1. struts = $0
2. calipers = $100
3. strut inserts = $160
4. kings =$140
5. caliper kit and bearing kit $120
6. pads = $0
7. rotors and turning = $220
7. my time = $priceless

$740 i add up...
thats with 4 pot calipers.

demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Thu, 04 March 2004 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$220? Is that with Pug discs (to suit the Hilux calipers)? Wow... I paid $320 for mine - and that was apparently trade price...

Cost for my strut conversion:

struts: $0
coilover sleeves + fitting: $256
adj strut tops: $100
steering knuckles: $80
calipers, discs, rebuild kit, machining: $755
pads: $132
springs, bumpstops: $265
bearings: $46
strut inserts: $480
my time: $0

Total: $2114

wow...
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Thu, 04 March 2004 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have done the conversion on my car, and have done it for others for approx $1150 depending on price and availability of parts. with the conversion i re-use shocks, get new custom made springs, brand new brembo discs, new pads, the rest is second hand, including the hilux 4 spot calipers. ive only done it on sprinters and corollas however.

$2114 is very expensive, but you are including coil-overs, strut tops etc... so its not so bad.
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Thu, 04 March 2004 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Most of the things I have I've gotten at retail price - if you have mates in the industry you could probably do it for a fair bit less.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Thu, 04 March 2004 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah im a mechanic so i can get trade prices, but most of the stuff is second hand so i just ring around to wreckers to get the best prices. i do however have a GREAT contact in the brake/clutch industry, hence paying next to nothing for new brembos Smile
SeptemberSquallIndustries
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Fri, 05 March 2004 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Okay, but for a moderate-budget conversion, would it be technically feasable to use;

RT132 front strut
TA22 upper plate
TA22 spring (15mm shortened)
RT132 disc
RT132 twin piston caliper

This'd give you twin piston 266mm front brakes.
But is the RT132 disc ventilated? =?
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Fri, 05 March 2004 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, RT132 disc is not vented. They're pretty darn big though.
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Fri, 05 March 2004 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SeptemberSquallIndustries wrote on Fri, 05 March 2004 22:27

Quote:

Okay, but for a moderate-budget conversion, would it be technically feasable to use;

RT132 front strut
TA22 upper plate
TA22 spring (15mm shortened)
RT132 disc
RT132 twin piston caliper

This'd give you twin piston 266mm front brakes.
But is the RT132 disc ventilated? =?

I will possibly be using this now, thanks to a fellow toymods user.
However not with a shortened TA22 spring, but get the strut cut'n'shut to fit lowered TA22 springs (lovells) and KYB shocks (to suit)
Fingers crossed. And I have two other people suggesting to me to go up one better in the future with R33 GTR calipers and discs - Crazy. (but not counting it out)
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Fri, 05 March 2004 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey grega!
I found your "jack brother".

You did send this pic:
http://www.vncommodore.com/images/celica/brakes/struts007.jpg

And this was send by purple_beasty:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid105/p2a146e89dc2feeeb8c45289f490fa6dc/f9719205.jpg

Laughing

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287530559&a mp;idx=8
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Fri, 05 March 2004 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
I wish I had jack like that! Crying or Very Sad
Pages (3): [1  2  3  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:driveshaft hub nut HOW?
Next Topic:KE30. 13b bp? sr20det? 3t-gteu?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 03:22:26 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01200008392334 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.