Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Changing position of TB on inlet manifold

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Changing position of TB on inlet manifold Thu, 22 January 2004 01:28 Go to next message
Hiya,

For future mods on my 7M-GTE, I am planning on relocating the TB to the end of the manifold (a la 1JZ/2JZ) rather than in the middle (current stick setup).

Anyone know of any issues with this, or done the grafting of a 1JZ/2JZ upper manifold on a 7M lower section (or similar) ?

The main aim would be to shorten the intake path as part of a aftermarket EFI upgrade in the future

Cheers

Michael B
  Send a private message to this user    
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Changing position of TB on inlet manifold Thu, 22 January 2004 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Have a look at the Turboworx Mk3 with the massive turbo (was in Zoom late last year, I think). They used the stock 7MGTE throttle, relocated to front of inlet manifold - can't remember where they sourced the manifold - but I'm pretty sure it was some sort of Toyota stocker. I can dig up the article tonight, if ya want.

Justin
JZA61
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Changing position of TB on inlet manifold Thu, 22 January 2004 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hiya Justin,

I'd appreciate it as I don't have that copy of Zoom

Cheers

Michael B
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Changing position of TB on inlet manifold Thu, 22 January 2004 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No worries. Ya have a fax no? I can send you the whole article. He's running a T51 and some insane power figures (500+rwhp?) that puts all of us JZ snobs in our places Rolling Eyes . It's pretty impressive. Just a pitty it's still stuck in a Mk3 Razz .

Justin
JZA61
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Changing position of TB on inlet manifold Thu, 22 January 2004 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You have a PM

Cheers

Michael B
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Changing position of TB on inlet manifold Thu, 22 January 2004 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you don't get the plenum shape right you might end up starving runners farthest from the TB?

probably not an issue under boost, but could be problematic under light/cruising driving.
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Changing position of TB on inlet manifold Fri, 23 January 2004 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Doh! I forgot to bring it in to work. Will try again on Tuesday.

Anyway, it was a full custom job on the 500+rwkw 7MGTE Mk3. Also was reading about a supercharged 1JZ lastnight. They used a 7MGTE plenum because its bigger and for the crossover. Which makes me think that going the other way may not be so smart.

Hope this helps some.

Justin
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Changing position of TB on inlet manifold Fri, 23 January 2004 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hiya Justin,

No probs. Interesting comment on the supercharged 1JZ. I'm not going mega horsepower, but plenty of engines use the front TB vs the centre feed.

Interestingly, the new V6 that is coming on the next Crumpledore uses a front mounted TB but the two side entrances to the plenum go to the centre.

Oh well, some reading to do

Cheers

Michael B
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Changing position of TB on inlet manifold Fri, 23 January 2004 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A couple of guys (I think) have done this on a 1GGTE. They claim its been good, although I can understand the idea of starving the farthest runners of air. Seems to work on quite a few FWD cars though.

Have you thought of having a new pipe made up similar to the factory 1G cast pipes or do you have no room?
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Changing position of TB on inlet manifold Fri, 23 January 2004 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The "dangerous" problem associated with mounting the throttle body to the front of the plenum is NOT starving the runner farthest from the T/B, but rather one of it getting too much air. This can cause an issue of running too lean (duh).
This is why most aftermarket plenums are tapered away at the rear. That is my understanding anyway.

Think of it if you were to remove the back plate of the plenum, then 95% of air blown into the throttle will be blasted straight out the rear opening (of course this is simplified, but you will see that the flow of air is biased toward the rear of the chamber).

I made a new chamber for my 3T GTE with the throttle at the front and I can say that the improved throttle response was hard to ignore.

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Changing position of TB on inlet manifold Fri, 23 January 2004 09:40 Go to previous message
Sorry, my bad, thinking one thing and saying another Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:box behind 3tgte
Next Topic:Best 4A-GTE Exhaust diameter?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 17:14:30 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0044770240783691 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.