Toymods » Tech & Conversions » * UZX73 * It Lives again

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Tue, 16 March 2004 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i'm going a 2.25in.

my car weighs 1321kg. no stereo or big rims.

it will be interesting....!
  Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Tue, 16 March 2004 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Battle of the pimp cars Smile
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Tue, 16 March 2004 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We want a video when you guys line up!!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Tue, 16 March 2004 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll make sure he reminds me to journey to the Plex with him and I'll take some videos Smile
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Tue, 16 March 2004 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, there will be videos

Car is back

Zorst pics

http://www.conceptual.net.au/~peewee/eng_conv_2/ex haust_1 .jpg
http://www.conceptual.net.au/~peewee/eng_conv_2/ex haust_2 .jpg

[Updated on: Mon, 21 March 2005 04:11]

coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Wed, 17 March 2004 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

saw your car lastnight very pimpin Laughing

are you peewee on another forum?

did you drive it home or have to trailer it?

wheres the vids?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Wed, 17 March 2004 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Saw it outside the zorst shop?

Trailer, no vids yet

Plugs are fouled, gotta take em out and clean them up so I can fire her up, and then take a video

But goddamn she is dirty atm (the way I like it, ehehehe)
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Wed, 17 March 2004 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
She didn't look that dirty Smile
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Wed, 17 March 2004 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Look at the boot lid

She hasnt been washed in about 2 months, and hasnt been polished in over a year

ewww
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Wed, 17 March 2004 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I suppose when you're comparing my car (inside or out) anything looks clean Smile
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Wed, 17 March 2004 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehheeh, mmmost likely
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Wed, 17 March 2004 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It is looking rather feral...my car hasn't been polished since I've owned it Smile

Did look good, although I nearly choked when he quoted my exhaust Smile I asked him what it sounds like, and he's like, I wish I could start it to tell you Laughing
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Wed, 17 March 2004 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wanna know what it sounds like, I tried to start it there, but it ran on 4 cyls (or even less)
It was "idling" (I use the term lightly) at prolly 300rpm

Damn plugs

Gotta pull them all out, and claen them all up
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Wed, 17 March 2004 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What are you waiting for, an invitation?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Wed, 17 March 2004 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A little thing you uni bums don't know about, its called work
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Wed, 17 March 2004 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You could've done it last night?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Wed, 17 March 2004 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It was almost 8 o'clock by the time I got home from dropping the trailer off.
Then there was dinner, and then CSI was on

Nuff said
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Wed, 17 March 2004 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do I sound like I care? Ever thought of recording the MPEG2 stream and watching it later? It's not as if you're going to lose quality any more Smile
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Wed, 17 March 2004 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dont have PowerDVD atm, so watching it vertically stretched is not my cup of tea

I'll pass
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Wed, 17 March 2004 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

yeah saw it at the exaust shop can i ask how much it cost you?

might have been able to get you a good deal from D&T Performance exaust but thats not much use to you now Laughing

the things pretty small the power to weight will be Shocked

csi pffft go rove!
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Wed, 17 March 2004 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rove is on AFTER CSI dude, not at the same time

It cost 330, which was up on the 240 original quote.
He had to remove the passenger side manifold and modify it fairly substantially. It originally pointed straight down on top of the slave cylinder.

Plus they did a few other things I couldnt be bothered doing
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Wed, 17 March 2004 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

$330 sounds good it would have been close to that depending on what type of muffler you wanted.

shows how much i watch tv Laughing i've watched CSI its pretty good but since ive been working 2 jobs i dont get home till 9

please explain the peewee number plate
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Wed, 17 March 2004 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That 330 was just a Y pipe, basically everything you see in those photos.

I already had 2.5" catback
They spent about 6-8 hrs on it.

Peewee has been my nickname for 15+ years now, hence, its on my car.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Wed, 17 March 2004 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
coronamark2 wrote on Wed, 17 March 2004 13:34

please explain the peewee number plate

He has a small wang. Laughing
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Wed, 17 March 2004 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And you're speaking from experience huh? Rolling Eyes
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Wed, 17 March 2004 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Wed, 17 March 2004 13:36

That 330 was just a Y pipe, basically everything you see in those photos.

I already had 2.5" catback
They spent about 6-8 hrs on it.

Peewee has been my nickname for 15+ years now, hence, its on my car.

that exhaust looks pipe bent and not mandreL?
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Wed, 17 March 2004 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats because it is.

What do you expect for $330?
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Wed, 17 March 2004 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My "Y" peice is press bent too. Then it flows into a 3in mandrel bent system with 2 interferance mufflers on it.

Andrew, how many mufflers you got on it? I had 1 muffler (interferance) and a resonator and it was TOO loud. I got another one put on, but it sits a lot lower and in 3 months it was scratched to the shit house.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Thu, 18 March 2004 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how many inch press bent is it?
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Thu, 18 March 2004 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not sure, might be two 2inch. Its stupid worrying about it as the headers that both me and Peewee are forced to use are so bloody restrictive putting 1 press bend instead of 1 mandrel bend is not going to make ANY difference at all. I'll stake my car on it.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Thu, 18 March 2004 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, 2" press bent.
Mandrel bending on a NA engine is not as important as an FI engine, we don't get quite as much exhaust flow.

And yes, I could use a rubber chicken for an exhuast and if wouldnt hurt performance at all. It doesnt matter what I do after those headers. They are sooo restrictive. Especially the driver side. Its modified from factory to reduce the diameter so that it didnt foul on the steering, but it still fouled on my steering, so I had to take another half an inch out of the diameter of it. So its even more restrictive.

Pete, I've only got one muffler (same one I had on my 6M) but when the boys did my exhaust years ago, they purposely left a straight section where I could easy throw another muffler/resonator in if I needed too.

And I plan to get custom extractors in the next month or so. I don't think the setup I've got with the steering will pass engineering (the gap is about 2mm). So that will set me back a good 1500 or so, but it should flow very nicely for when I go FI
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Thu, 18 March 2004 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hks pete.. whats sort of rwkw are you running?
and cant you guys get a set of extractors at all?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Thu, 18 March 2004 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Thu, 18 March 2004 08:26

Hks pete.. whats sort of rwkw are you running?
and cant you guys get a set of extractors at all?

Petes got the 150rwkw mark.

And no, there are no off-the-shelf extractors for this motor in our cars. If you have seen how wide these motors are, and how close the heads are to the chassis rails, you would know this.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Thu, 18 March 2004 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rush imports (Neil Grifiths in Canberra) do some very nice extractors but as yet I havn't been able to go down there to see if they'd fit.

If you want to know how much rwkw I'm running click on the "Records" link on the left.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Thu, 18 March 2004 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Thu, 18 March 2004 11:22

Pete, I've only got one muffler (same one I had on my 6M) but when the boys did my exhaust years ago, they purposely left a straight section where I could easy throw another muffler/resonator in if I needed too.

You'll love the note on it ... for a while. I really doubt it'll pass engineer's certificate though. Mine was 89.6dB with the 2 interferance mufflers.

But its good that the exhaust place thought ahead and put a straight section in. You'll need it. And don't even bother starting with a resonator, go straight for a nice quiet interferance muffler. Then it might be able to be engineered.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Thu, 18 March 2004 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They tend not to worry about the noise level here, unless its waaaay to excessive.

Its the fact that I have 2mm (or so) clearance between the header, and the steering column.
Its that that I don't think will pass engineering
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Thu, 18 March 2004 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah..but couldnt u buy a set of off the shelf ones for a uzz soarer and have them modified?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Thu, 18 March 2004 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is not a lot of room there dude Smile
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Thu, 18 March 2004 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Thu, 18 March 2004 09:06

yeah..but couldnt u buy a set of off the shelf ones for a uzz soarer and have them modified?

Possibly, but then you are up for the cost of the extractors, plus the cost of modifying them.
It would work out about the same cost to get custom ones
onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Thu, 18 March 2004 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
custom are about $1000 a side dude.
seriously, the cheapest quote i got was $930.

and you think YOU got clearance issues....? how's 6mm between sump and crossmember sound? 10mm from gearbox to tunnel? 2mm from inlet manifold to bonnet?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Thu, 18 March 2004 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
onejayzed wrote on Thu, 18 March 2004 09:37

and you think YOU got clearance issues....? how's 6mm between sump and crossmember sound? 10mm from gearbox to tunnel? 2mm from inlet manifold to bonnet?

I am getting the quote on saturday, but the 1500 is the minimum I'd expect.

You want to talk clearance issues hey?
How does the sump join resting on the xmember sound?
2mm between cam cover and brake booster?
2mm between cam cover and clutch master cyl?
2mm between sump and steering box?

Yep, she's a toight foit
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Thu, 18 March 2004 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thought you guys might like a pic of the 2.5 inch stainless mandrel system i just made with a mate for my TT 1UZ project. Well i would if i could figure out how attach the file...things aren't happening as described in the FAQ?

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Thu, 18 March 2004 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Click the icon that looks like a painting.
Type in the address there.
The pic has to be hosted somewhere
You cant just upload it to toymods
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Thu, 18 March 2004 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh well, i'm stuffed then. I thought i had uploaded images in the past? must have been another forum.
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Thu, 18 March 2004 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Thu, 18 March 2004 09:45

Yep, she's a toight foit

who you getting a quote off?

My Brothers work just did a set of custom extractors for a sprintcar they looked sweet.

I can get there number and you could give them a ring talk to Harry hes the dude that would make them up, say you know ryans brother adam and they will take that in to account with the price if you know what i mean Very Happy

just a thought
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Thu, 18 March 2004 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I will be going to Grapnels and getting a quote.
I have always been happy with their work, and they are always happy to talk to you about it.

Its such a huge cost because of the amount of work involved in getting them done. There is basically no room to work up there (or down there) and you have mounts/steering/fuel lines/brake lines/clutch lines to try and avoid.

Had it been a pushrod V8 (I shudder at the thought) the cost would be fuck all as there would be heaps of room left in there.
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Thu, 18 March 2004 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Thu, 18 March 2004 10:33

I will be going to Grapnels and getting a quote.
I have always been happy with their work, and they are always happy to talk to you about it.

Its such a huge cost because of the amount of work involved in getting them done. There is basically no room to work up there (or down there) and you have mounts/steering/fuel lines/brake lines/clutch lines to try and avoid.

Had it been a pushrod V8 (I shudder at the thought) the cost would be fuck all as there would be heaps of room left in there.

cool if its extortionate and you want another quote just to be sure let us know.
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Thu, 18 March 2004 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HKSPete wrote on Thu, 18 March 2004 11:34

rush imports (Neil Grifiths in Canberra) do some very nice extractors but as yet I havn't been able to go down there to see if they'd fit.

They won't...(I had a look at Neill's before they were fitted to his car).

(There is "block hugging" and there is "Cressida/Supra block hugging"...They are 2 different things Razz )
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Thu, 18 March 2004 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh thats dissapointing Sad

I wanted to use those and some exhaust cams to get closer to my (current) 200rwkw goal.
Manny
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Thu, 18 March 2004 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Thu, 18 March 2004 12:20

Jag7799 wrote on Thu, 18 March 2004 09:06

Possibly, but then you are up for the cost of the extractors, plus the cost of modifying them.
It would work out about the same cost to get custom ones

You can always get yourself a set of 1UZ laser cut exhaust flange plates from Liverpool Exhaust and go from there.

[Updated on: Thu, 18 March 2004 11:51]

SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Thu, 18 March 2004 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I didn't know they had them. They did my Y peice. Wonder if they can make me some better extractors. Might drop them a visit.
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Thu, 18 March 2004 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
coronamark2 wrote on Thu, 18 March 2004 13:28

CrUZsida wrote on Thu, 18 March 2004 09:45

Yep, she's a toight foit

who you getting a quote off?

My Brothers work just did a set of custom extractors for a sprintcar they looked sweet.

I can get there number and you could give them a ring talk to Harry hes the dude that would make them up, say you know ryans brother adam and they will take that in to account with the price if you know what i mean Very Happy

just a thought

Hmmmm...I've been down this road so many times...(Pete would know this also - anyone who has seen my mine or Pete's car, or who has looked at Luke's photos, would realise that space is <understatement> at something of a premium </understatement>).

As Luke is discovering, extractors for "one offs" such as a 1U into a Cressida/Supra etc are bloody expensive. Luke also correctly pointed out that there is very little room left in the engine bay of anything running a quad-cam V8. As for UZZxx-series Soarers, yes there is a set available for them now. However, it took years for someone to commit to the R&D (along with quite a bit of "up-front" money) just to make it happen...

Even my Celsior (Lexus LS400) has precious little room for extractors in the engine bay - and that was designed from the ground up for a 1UZ only...

I have had quotes for an exhaust system for the Cressida from $2800 (OK) - $4500 (Ripoff). Note that this is for extractors, plus full 2.25"twin exhausts through x-pipe, twin cats, resonator and mufflers. Still, it's an expensive proposition, whichever way you slice it...
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Thu, 18 March 2004 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll post the quote up after I get it. Add about 10-20% for little things they forgot and you'd have a good estimate.

They did the Y-pipe on mine, and they had to remove the LHS header to modify it, so they know exactly how much room they have to play with.

And yes, my quote will also be for 2.25" twin, with 2 mufflers, X pipe, and prolly 2 cats aswell (tho, I'll try to source them from an importer first)
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Thu, 18 March 2004 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is almost no room for a decent set of extractors with the 1UZ in the Crown. It has almost certainly put the kibosh on any plans for forced induction in the future.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Thu, 18 March 2004 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Fri, 19 March 2004 00:35

There is almost no room for a decent set of extractors with the 1UZ in the Crown. It has almost certainly put the kibosh on any plans for forced induction in the future.

What you can do for a turbo is swap them around. They're reversable and you can point them out the front. Then just make a turbo manifold from the flanges. Thats how Jamie did it.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Thu, 18 March 2004 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was thinking more along the lines of supercharging and fitting a set of nice headers to compliment the extra flow. That said reversing the manifolds and 'bolting' on a couple of snails could work too! Very Happy
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Fri, 19 March 2004 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Fri, 19 March 2004 07:49

I was thinking more along the lines of supercharging and fitting a set of nice headers to compliment the extra flow.

Thats my plan
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Fri, 19 March 2004 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah. I'm old, grumpy and hate waiting in queues. So it figures that I also hate waiting for turbos to spool up. Laughing
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Fri, 19 March 2004 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there's no waiting for turbos to spool up, it's more a case of waiting for your brain to catch up with the acceleration Smile After driving Jamies beast i started my own TT1UZ proj just as soon as i could. Jamie used Toyota CT26 which spooled up real fast. In any gear other than off the line you were producing serious torque instantly. Off the line the car was quick regardless and so much happened so fast i wasn't watching the boost gauge Smile Good boost under 2000rpm from memory though, the right setup would be effectively lagless.

Mine should be running by the end of next week (touch wood) with the 1st public appearance aimed for Dubbo
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: * UZX73 Update * She's almost done Fri, 19 March 2004 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
JustenGT4 wrote on Fri, 19 March 2004 15:44

there's no waiting for turbos to spool up, it's more a case of waiting for your brain to catch up with the acceleration Smile After driving Jamies beast i started my own TT1UZ proj just as soon as i could. Jamie used Toyota CT26 which spooled up real fast. In any gear other than off the line you were producing serious torque instantly. Off the line the car was quick regardless and so much happened so fast i wasn't watching the boost gauge Smile Good boost under 2000rpm from memory though, the right setup would be effectively lagless.

Mine should be running by the end of next week (touch wood) with the 1st public appearance aimed for Dubbo

in what car?
Pages (8): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:hi wanting to knoe about 7mgte wiring loom mods
Next Topic:WHAT BRAKES FIT A TA22!!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 12:09:30 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.011735916137695 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.