Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Suitable gearbox for 3SGTE conv. into ST162

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Suitable gearbox for 3SGTE conv. into ST162 Thu, 29 January 2004 06:35 Go to next message
Hey guys, just put a deposit on a 3sgte and am now wondering what type of gearbox i will need for the job of transferring it into the st162. Can the standard gt4 box be used? i have heard that you can use the camry tranny from the sv21.

Please, only leave a reply if you know what you are talking about... thanks guys
  Send a private message to this user    
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Suitable gearbox for 3SGTE conv. into ST162 Thu, 29 January 2004 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
e153 from mr2 turbo Smile needs some tweaking for the linkages but gives you a tough 2wd box with lsd to boot Smile

its the tranny im planning on using for my conversion into my st184 Smile
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Suitable gearbox for 3SGTE conv. into ST162 Thu, 29 January 2004 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks mate, i'll look into it
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Suitable gearbox for 3SGTE conv. into ST162 Fri, 30 January 2004 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any ideas that arent as difficult as converting a MR gearbox to FWD?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Suitable gearbox for 3SGTE conv. into ST162 Sat, 31 January 2004 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V6 Camry is about the next best, but the MR2 one is the right one to be using, it IS effectively a FWD box with the linkages back to front.
The only other option is a GT4 box and locking off the 4WD...which is a LOT harder.
Doctakay
Regular

January 2003
Re: Suitable gearbox for 3SGTE conv. into ST162 Sat, 31 January 2004 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't go to the trouble of looking specifically for the v6 camry box... you'll find the exact same gearbox in any later 3s-fe powered camry. They are the same e52 gearbox. so the whole talk from people who have never done the conversion or compared a 3s-fe to 2vz-fe gearbox are just taking guesses. My st205 grp a powered sv21 is about to come out of the workshop being backed up by my STANDARD reco sv21 5 spd box. I forsee no troubles with this box as i have used the uprated toyata syncros (a toyota parts and service upgrade to prevent failure), and had a broken selector fork replaced. The main trouble with these e series boxes is bending the pressure plates in the clutches and not being able to shift correctly if at all, and destruction of original syncros, most commonly 2nd and 3rd. rebuild an old sv21 box and you should fair well on the dollar side of things. or do the same thing with you st162 box which is practically the same thing anyway. I'm not having a stab by the way frank, not by any means, it's just alot of speculation goes on with these fwd 3s conversions and there's not too many people out there that are 100% sure, which is exactly what people like benmeyer need... people that are 100% sure. I've been there myself without the solid info and it can be nothing but a head ache and sometimes more costly chasing items that were more easily accessable and less expensive from something/where else.

[Updated on: Sat, 31 January 2004 01:29]

toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Suitable gearbox for 3SGTE conv. into ST162 Sat, 31 January 2004 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from what ive looked into and ppl ive spoken to it isnt that bad. remembering whats hiding in the mr2 is in essence a fwd setup moved back 4' Smile

and remember your get not only a tough box but lsd Smile
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Suitable gearbox for 3SGTE conv. into ST162 Sat, 31 January 2004 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok Ben I thought you already knew the options for the tranny to use, there is:

The SV21 camry box (pretty standard, may or may not last)

The MR2 Turbo box (stronger, it's all setup for a turbo, Very hard to find, if you do they cost..... alot, plus you need to get MR2 driveshafts and attach the GT4 outer CV's to the mr2 driveshafts, swap the linkages over from the GT4 box, and presto [probably cost more than your engine though])

The GT4 box (This is the option I am using, weld the visciuos couplings together and lock it in 2WD, box is very heavy compared to a FWD box, very experimental, and will cost alot to do this)

The V6 camry box (bellhousing won't fit, will need to get a broken MR2 turbo box and take the bellhousing off and bolt it onto the V6 box [note a stuffed MR2 box will still be rather expensive])

The 4AGZE box (same as the V6 camry box, need to do a bell housing swap, don't know what driveshafts you would need to use though)

These were the only options that I found viable when I looked into my 3SGTE swap.

Ben are you looking at doing this very soon, are you still going the gen3 engine?
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Suitable gearbox for 3SGTE conv. into ST162 Sat, 31 January 2004 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wiso, knows what he is saying. i would have said it but he got here first. I am currently using an SV21 box, since i have had it on the road for less than 1 month and haven't been driving it hard i won't comment on the strength of the box as i have not yet fully tested it.
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Suitable gearbox for 3SGTE conv. into ST162 Wed, 04 February 2004 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm. you make some interesting points joel. i'll look into some of those ideas
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Suitable gearbox for 3SGTE conv. into ST162 Wed, 04 February 2004 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
curious... has anyone ever looked at rwd bellhousing compatability for the 5s??

edit: i MEAN 1mzfe - see below

[Updated on: Wed, 04 February 2004 13:34]

wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Suitable gearbox for 3SGTE conv. into ST162 Wed, 04 February 2004 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you probably could use the SV21 box it may be strong enough, but it probably won't be, the SV21 box has enough trouble handling the 150kw gen2 3SGTE let alone the 180+kw gen3, so even the slighteset strap with that you'd more than likely be up for a new box.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Suitable gearbox for 3SGTE conv. into ST162 Wed, 04 February 2004 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn... i meant 1mz

just wondering what relation the 1mz/3s/5s etc have in terms of ability to swap bellhousing around...

ie, would a 2s (rwd w58 bellhousing from sa63 celica) mount to 1mz for rwd installation ?

hmmmm
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Suitable gearbox for 3SGTE conv. into ST162 Wed, 04 February 2004 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Wed, 04 February 2004 21:31

ie, would a 2s (rwd w58 bellhousing from sa63 celica) mount to 1mz for rwd installation?

Well, if a V6 Camry box (1MZFE) requires an MR2 bellhousing (3S) to fit to a 3SGTE, I'd say your chances of it fitting to be slim to none Razz
jase
Regular

May 2002
Re: Suitable gearbox for 3SGTE conv. into ST162 Thu, 05 February 2004 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I believe I "may" still have some broken MR2 turbo boxes?
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Suitable gearbox for 3SGTE conv. into ST162 Thu, 05 February 2004 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jase
how much would u sell them for? and do u know how much it would be to get it rebuilt?
alwaysRA23
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Suitable gearbox for 3SGTE conv. into ST162 Fri, 06 February 2004 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

car will be written off in a week anyways Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
jase
Regular

May 2002
Re: Suitable gearbox for 3SGTE conv. into ST162 Sat, 07 February 2004 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rebuilt?

Maybe the diff would be okay in the transaxle....

I always looked at rebuild costs, time off road, etc. and just bought another one. But if its the belhousing you want, that'd be fine. I know where I left them...just need to see if they're still there.

And, Doctakay, don't discourage people from the v6 box. They're on the right track. Compare some part numbers on internal components in the late model turbo mr2's in japan and the late model v6 gearboxes.

The reason mr2's break boxes is traction. Your sv21/st162 won't have this issue.
sxturbo
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: Suitable gearbox for 3SGTE conv. into ST162 Sat, 07 February 2004 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have done the conversion, i used the MR2 turbo box with the LSD. I would never recommend anyone to do this the cost is too high. I had to machine drive shafts which you have to buy separately if they dont come with the box, then you have to use the celica c/v's which will smash to bits if you put your foot down in a corner. I have a friend who did the same conversion and he used the box out of a 3SFE celica, he has recuild the box once in 100000kms and that is the only problem he has had.

just my 2 cents

Hope it helps
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Suitable gearbox for 3SGTE conv. into ST162 Mon, 29 March 2004 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe, but i'm pretty sure all 4 of my mags are still in original condition... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Disco Scoob
Occasional Poster

August 2002
Re: Suitable gearbox for 3SGTE conv. into ST162 Mon, 29 March 2004 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My mate, put a 3SGTE (from st165) into a st184 and used the 5SFE box with new syncros in second and fifth. Its has been in for about 15000kms and is still good.

Does anyone see this as a weakness if 150kw at the treds was reached?
alwaysRA23
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Suitable gearbox for 3SGTE conv. into ST162 Mon, 29 March 2004 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benmeyer wrote on Mon, 29 March 2004 21:35

Maybe, but i'm pretty sure all 4 of my mags are still in original condition... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

pitty you cant say the same for ur daddys pajero. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Techie
Occasional Poster

February 2004

Re: Suitable gearbox for 3SGTE conv. into ST162 Mon, 29 March 2004 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have been thinking about this conversion myself (hopefully in the not to distant future)

Now I have been reading a few threads and I need to make a decision on whether i get my current box rebuilt (possibly strenghtened) or repaired (pops out of 5th) and buy a gt4 half cut or wait and import a MR2 half cut, use its gear box and modify the loom to suit.

I know i probably need to go over the realism of the whole project, but i guess until i do it i won't really know.

On another note CeLiCa has done the MR2 box conversion into his ST184 (I think that is what it is, apologies if not) and has a how to guide posted on celica.net, looks to a pretty easy conversion.

http://celica.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_t opic;f=40;t=000028

[Updated on: Mon, 29 March 2004 15:04]

benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Suitable gearbox for 3SGTE conv. into ST162 Mon, 29 March 2004 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i spose it is a pity that i gutterslammed my dad's car. oh wait, why are we talking abou this? everbody already knows! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

-EDIT- Thats enough, these forums arent for trash talking.

[Updated on: Mon, 29 March 2004 23:48]

Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Suitable gearbox for 3SGTE conv. into ST162 Tue, 30 March 2004 07:09 Go to previous message
thx for that link techie, it helps with my current mod.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Rebuilding a AE86 diff.
Next Topic:AFM on 5S-FE
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 02:27:02 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055320262908936 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.