Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Guide: How to convert water outlets to RWD on 100kw 4A-GE

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Guide: How to convert water outlets to RWD on 100kw 4A-GE Sat, 07 February 2004 15:46 Go to next message
For those wanting to put a FWD 4a-ge (bigport OR smallport) into their RWD corolla or other car, here is a quick guide to fixing the water oulets.

# Maintain the original FWD water pump and associated pipes etc. If you bought the motor from an importer or the like, remove the water pump and replace it (recommended highly).
# Take a remote thermostat housing (complete) from an AE82 4A-C (run down to your local self serve wreckers, cost $10)
# Get yourself the flat type rear water outlet on the back of the head (i got mine from an AE82 bigport 4age)**pictured below**

http://www.rollamods.com/witzl/AE71%20conversion/rear%20water%20outlet.jpg

# Get yourself a handful of hose clamps (new) and random bits of radiator and heater hose from the wreckers.
# Cut the rear outlet of the waterpump (big pipe) around 3-4inches from behind the waterpump
# Do the same with the smaller outlet from the back of the top radiator inlet at the front of the motor
# Use a small straightish section of the smaller diameter pipe you just cut to use as an extension piece to connect two heater hoses together
# Put together as you see in the pictures below

http://www.rollamods.com/witzl/AE71%20conversion/4age%20water%2001.jpg

http://www.rollamods.com/witzl/AE71%20conversion/rwd-water-conv.jpg

[Updated on: Sun, 01 August 2004 12:24]

Send a private message to this user    
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Guide: How to convert water outlets to RWD on 100kw 4A-GE Sun, 08 February 2004 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can you fix the second pic? this info is going to come in very handy for me soon
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: Guide: How to convert water outlets to RWD on 100kw 4A-GE Sun, 08 February 2004 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Should put this post as a sticky, so people dont ask anymore.

shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Guide: How to convert water outlets to RWD on 100kw 4A-GE Sun, 08 February 2004 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think stickying it would be a good idea

this is incredibly helpful, now i know what that thing is that i got with my smallport and where it goes!

many, many many thanks!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Guide: How to convert water outlets to RWD on 100kw 4A-GE Mon, 09 February 2004 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think rather than stickying it, it should be added to the 4A FAQ...
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Q Mon, 09 February 2004 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and so it HAS been added to the 4a-ge FAQ.....

i am a moderator remember Razz

second pic should work... its bog so just right click and select show pic (sometimes internet explorer wont open big pics)

Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Guide: How to convert water outlets to RWD on 100kw 4A-GE Mon, 09 February 2004 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought most guys just bolted on the RWD water pump etc (which has the thermostat built in) and were done!
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Guide: How to convert water outlets to RWD on 100kw 4A-GE Mon, 09 February 2004 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have you ever tried to source and purchase one?

not only are they rare, but people want to charge $100's for them! All because of the "drift craze".

This option cost me all of $20 including all the hose clamps and parts from the wreckers, hence far more cost effective!
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Guide: How to convert water outlets to RWD on 100kw 4A-GE Tue, 10 February 2004 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Karl,

I don't believe it is that hard to get a water pump etc of a 4AC. I have been led to believe that these are the same unit as those found on RWD 4AGEs.

I'll soon be giving away some 4ACs so that should make it cheap.

Cheers
ShAkEn
Regular

April 2003
Re: Guide: How to convert water outlets to RWD on 100kw 4A-GE Sat, 14 February 2004 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i recently purchased a rwd 4age genuine water pump from japan.
i found they are different to the 4ac by a marginal amount so that it binds on the cam wheel backing plate thing.
also the thermo housing makes u move the alt to the other side.
instead i used all the fwd gear including the ae92 remote housing
as i got a g/box with my engine, however i placed it a little different to the one shown so in the next few weeks ill let ppl know with pics how it went.
cheer,
jono.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Guide: How to convert water outlets to RWD on 100kw 4A-GE Sat, 14 February 2004 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
indeed you are right.... i WAS going to use a 4ac water pump, but this was not able to match up with the top radiator outlet.... esp since the RWD 4age top outlet is very different to the FWD one.

Hence why i went this way.
Singlecam
Regular

May 2002
Re: Guide: How to convert water outlets to RWD on 100kw 4A-GE Sat, 14 February 2004 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Tue, 10 February 2004 00:17

This option cost me all of $20 including all the hose clamps and parts from the wreckers, hence far more cost effective!

Let us remember that not all the parts came from the wreckers Evil or Very Mad
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Guide: How to convert water outlets to RWD on 100kw 4A-GE Sat, 14 February 2004 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes timmy, thank you kindly for the donation of your wonderful remote thermostat housing Smile

demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Guide: How to convert water outlets to RWD on 100kw 4A-GE Sun, 15 February 2004 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks heaps for this, just what I needed Smile
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Guide: How to convert water outlets to RWD on 100kw 4A-GE Sun, 01 August 2004 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey karl, can you upload those pics elsewhere. Or email them to me so i can host them. Pics are broken.
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Guide: How to convert water outlets to RWD on 100kw 4A-GE Sun, 01 August 2004 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
here here

where are these pics pls?!

Cheers

NAthan
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Guide: How to convert water outlets to RWD on 100kw 4A-GE Sun, 01 August 2004 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
updating now Smile

sorry it's hard to cover all bases after i moved everything to a permanent server Smile
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Guide: How to convert water outlets to RWD on 100kw 4A-GE Sun, 01 August 2004 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers Karl.
Just thought i would remind you as i was asked about it yesterday.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Guide: How to convert water outlets to RWD on 100kw 4A-GE Sun, 01 August 2004 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh btw - i recently replaced most of the heater hose with off-the-roll 15mm heater hose, since i was sprouting a few leaks here and there. I would recommend this when you do your conversion Smile

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Guide: How to convert water outlets to RWD on 100kw 4A-GE Sun, 01 August 2004 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shinny's tip - Any 202 (pre VK) Commodore heater hoses are great when doing this kind of thing - they're cheap to buy, and come with a right angle and a longish section of staight hose - all the LPG conversion places love them. Buy a couple from your parts store, only about $6 each. Much better than 20 year old heater hose!
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Guide: How to convert water outlets to RWD on 100kw 4A-GE Sun, 01 August 2004 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im there on that one, esp with an AE86.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Guide: How to convert water outlets to RWD on 100kw 4A-GE Wed, 25 August 2004 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just a quick note, you dont actually need the RWD water outlet.
A FWD AE92 one fits too. I dont have pics atm, but will get some.
Its just a bit harder to maneuver in.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Guide: How to convert water outlets to RWD on 100kw 4A-GE Wed, 25 August 2004 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice guide... This will be very handy Smile
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Guide: How to convert water outlets to RWD on 100kw 4A-GE Wed, 25 August 2004 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I couldn't fit the AE92 one in my KE35, even the AE82 one that I did get (which is identical I think to the RWD ones) has very little clearance.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Guide: How to convert water outlets to RWD on 100kw 4A-GE Wed, 25 August 2004 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The FWD one has maybe 1cm of clearance on an AE86. I assume similar for an AE71.
Ill take pics soon. Just trying to figure out how to get enough light in there because the flash just flares out on all the white.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Guide: How to convert water outlets to RWD on 100kw 4A-GE Thu, 26 August 2004 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

The FWD one has maybe 1cm of clearance on an AE86. I assume similar for an AE71.

No it's not the same. THe AE86 firewall moulds back away from the engine around that area, whereas the AE71 does not, hence my use of the AE82 FLAT rear outlet.

THe AE92 one would punch thru teh firewall
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Guide: How to convert water outlets to RWD on 100kw 4A-GE Thu, 26 August 2004 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah ok, i didnt realise that. Well still its good info for all the ae86ers.
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Guide: How to convert water outlets to RWD on 100kw 4A-GE Thu, 26 August 2004 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Takai,

Does your digicam have manual controls?

If so you can stop the flash flaring out on the white by increasing your apperture and go for the lowest ISO possible.
oldskulwagon
Newcomer

August 2004
icon5.gif  Re: Guide: How to convert water outlets to RWD on 100kw 4A-GE Fri, 27 August 2004 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is an AE82, fwd or rwd? I am gonna be swapping a 4ag into my rolla and the engine I got is FWD and there is this metal part sticking out of the front of the engine for the engine support. Is there a part I need to get off a rwd 4ag or can I just unbolt this part from the fwd 4ag? TIA for any help.
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Guide: How to convert water outlets to RWD on 100kw 4A-GE Fri, 27 August 2004 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE82 is FWD. And yes you can just unbolt the mount from the "front" of the engine (where the timing belt is)
oldskulwagon
Newcomer

August 2004
Re: Guide: How to convert water outlets to RWD on 100kw 4A-GE Fri, 27 August 2004 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks alot for the info Demuire. Will look for fwd 4acs in the yards around here. Can you post pics of an AE82? thanks in advance.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Guide: How to convert water outlets to RWD on 100kw 4A-GE Sat, 28 August 2004 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, its possible. but this thread is for RWD water outlet solutions, not engine mounts. If you had read the FAQ at the top of the page then you would know this.

Please keep it OT
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Guide: How to convert water outlets to RWD on 100kw 4A-GE Sun, 29 August 2004 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well i finally got around to taking that photo. This is the clearance on the back of the head:
http://www.dysfunction.ws/albums/Sprinter/DSCF0013_004.jpg
As i think is pretty obvious it makes it harder to get in, but it still fits. I can fit a finger behind there quite easily, and i reckon its about 1cm ish. Obviously the flat type would have been easier.

Also i think i found a pretty neat place to put the remote thermostat housing:
http://www.dysfunction.ws/albums/Sprinter/DSCF0001_009.jpg

in that photo i have reversed the thermostat end piece 180* and it is bolted to the block via a strap that i found. Its pretty close to the steering rack, but i dont think that it will be a huge issue, especially when it has the added support of all the water hoses.
nudes
Regular

October 2004
Re: Guide: How to convert water outlets to RWD on 100kw 4A-GE Sun, 28 November 2004 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alright.. just to revive this thing.. i have just started pulling the thermostat housing off the back of the block.. (silvertop 20v)
i was thinking of cutting myself up a flat plate with a 90 degree bend pipe coming out to rplace the thermostat housing. have the hose that comes off this pipe bend heading round the side of the block.
once the pipe is running alongside the block towards the radiator, have the original thermostat housing remote mounted on an alloy plate which then heads to the radiator.. i've looked around and found no-one that has taken this approach.

i reckon this'd be better than drilling the fine wall between the two water outputs and then putting a flat plate completely blocking these outlets. (this is the method used in the tech docs) Very Happy

the only thing i'm worried about is the water inlet to the rear of the gazsorst manifold.... it'll get a bit warm if i've got the coolant running past the glowing manifold and then into the block...
there is what looks like a knock sensor (or a something sensor) FORWARD of the manifold.. the inlet and the sensor (?) thing have the same flange.. if they are both to do with the cooling...... i'll just interchange them???????
nudes
Regular

October 2004
Re: Guide: How to convert water outlets to RWD on 100kw 4A-GE Mon, 29 November 2004 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bumpety bump bump bump Very Happy

i think this is why people start new threads all the time.. people dont want to look into an old thread.. would anybody be pissed if i posted my idea (see above post) in a brand spanking new thread? as i already know how to convert the water outlets the way this thread outlines but am trying to work out a newer and hopefully better technique of doing so Very Happy
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Guide: How to convert water outlets to RWD on 100kw 4A-GE Mon, 29 November 2004 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
20V is a completely different story to 16V as the water outlets on the head are ALL at the rear of the engine.. so a majority of this article/guide is redundant.

However the bits about the remote thermostat housing are of course applicable.

With no personal experience with 20V's in RWD i honestly have no idea if your idea will work.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Guide: How to convert water outlets to RWD on 100kw 4A-GE Mon, 29 November 2004 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Since this is the thread for a 100kw maybe another one shoudl be started for the 20vs
WANTED_AE86
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Guide: How to convert water outlets to RWD on 100kw 4A-GE Sun, 07 August 2005 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yay!! i've found it!!! Laughing
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Guide: How to convert water outlets to RWD on 100kw 4A-GE Sun, 07 August 2005 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gee good on you Rolling Eyes
You could have just looked it up in the FAQ. But im guessing the FAQ isnt trendy enough for you guys.
WANTED_AE86
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Guide: How to convert water outlets to RWD on 100kw 4A-GE Mon, 08 August 2005 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
now you know where is the FAQ section would be?... Very Happy
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Guide: How to convert water outlets to RWD on 100kw 4A-GE Mon, 08 August 2005 11:51 Go to previous message
You make no sense. Either you need to open your eyes and read, or not to post.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Wiring up fuel pump
Next Topic:TRD lsd rebuild kit
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 22:39:37 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.008997917175293 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.