Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
bmak
Regular

May 2002

4AGE oxy sensor Sun, 15 February 2004 10:45 Go to next message
need 1 of these for my RWD 4AGE, not sure what others are the same.

thanx
  Send a private message to this user    
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 4AGE oxy sensor Sun, 15 February 2004 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a 2 wire one out of a 3sge that I bought that I do not need... Confused

you are welcome to it I just don't know if it would be a corresponding part???
bmak
Regular

May 2002

Re: 4AGE oxy sensor Mon, 16 February 2004 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 4AGE one is only single wire, maybe someone know if they are compatable.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 4AGE oxy sensor Wed, 18 February 2004 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brad,

all oxygen sensors (narrow band that is) have 1 wire that goes to the ECU.

1 wire has wire to ECU and grounds thru the exhaust.

2 wire also has a ground wire, so can eliminate ground loop probs.

3 wire has a single wire to ECU, grounds thru exhaust, and has two wires for heater.

4 wire has single wire to ECU, wire for signal ground, and 2 wires for heater.

if you are mounting it any reasonable distance from the head, a heated sensor will give mroe consistent results, as well as faster warmup time.

i have some Bosch and NTK 4 wire sensors, brand new, for $63 inc postage. http://www.materials.unsw.edu.au/~sford/oxygensens ors.html

bought a bunch for the Megasquirt kiddies Very Happy

almost all narrow band sensors work the same. there is some slight difference in the sheilding around the sensor itself (like for turbo cars etc), and almost all have an 18x1.5mm thread. OEM ones can also have a flage that the sensor screws into.

so basically you can use any narrow band sensor if it is hooked up correctly. i can help you with identifying wires for whichever one you get...

Cya, Stewart
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 4AGE oxy sensor Wed, 18 February 2004 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am looking at getting a new one for the 3sge mate as I run quite rich when loaded (more then should be) so

and MY BAD bmak I have 4 wires on mine.. sorry mate

oldcorollas, could I get one of yours then to plug right in? veyr very very interested mate

edit: bmak sorry about that I just glanced at it in my last post, but actually picked it up for a proper inspection this time around to make sure...

[Updated on: Wed, 18 February 2004 12:03]

bmak
Regular

May 2002

Re: 4AGE oxy sensor Thu, 19 February 2004 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
would they be compatable with the 4age computer?

Do the sensors operate is the same resistance range?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 4AGE oxy sensor Thu, 19 February 2004 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
almost all narrow band oxygen sensors have exactly the same output, or very nearly to. they all have 0-1V output.

the O2 sensor measures the oxygen content by way of a nernst cell, and the response of this is such that the output switches very quickly at stoich mixtures... this is 'cos either side if the stoich mixture, there either IS or ISN'T oxygen.

a sample graph is http://www.gadgetseller.com/gauges/pictures/voltage_vs_af.gif

or
http://www.better-mileage.com/sense.gif

the only operational differences between sensors is that you either do or don't have a grounding wire for the sensor (so that you can ground it near the ECU and eliminat problems from poor grounding from sensor to exhaust to manifold to head to block to chassis to ECU)

also sensors with a heater will stay at a more constant temperature and heat up in maybe 30 seconds, and won't cool down during cruise or idle conditions.

non-heater can take a few minutes to heat up and can cool down too much during idle/cruise, IF too far from the head (mayybe 1-1.5ft)

so basically yes, almost any narrow band sensor is compatible with anything that uses a narrow band sensor.. it's only wideband sensors you need to be careful of.

all narrow band sensors have a 0V to 1V output that switches at stoich...

if you have seen one of those LED AFR meters on a stock car that has closed loop, and seen it flickign back and forth, you'll see what i mean about switching (which is what the ECU uses to tell it to adjust mixtures)

hope this helps Very Happy
Cya, Stewart
des_
Occasional Poster

July 2002
Re: 4AGE oxy sensor Mon, 23 February 2004 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so from what i gather oldcorollas, the 4age uses a narrow band 02 sensor, and these are basically all interchangable, will work with the computer etc etc? is there any extra installation measures needed?
I am also needing a O2 sensor, and am interested in one if you are selling.

pls let me know
deadringer@internode.on.net
natez
Regular

April 2003
Re: 4AGE oxy sensor Mon, 23 February 2004 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm getting my ehxaust done tommorrow, and i told him i need a oxy sender, and he has got me one no problem, not sure of the price... rather buy new than old.. espcially for sensors
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 4AGE oxy sensor Tue, 24 February 2004 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So old corolla could you use that 4 wire one you've got on a GE in place of the one wire one that Bmak is talking about and just not hook up the other stuff?? don't need one just interested
bmak
Regular

May 2002

Re: 4AGE oxy sensor Mon, 01 March 2004 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I found i can get 1 that has the standard 4AGE flange & plug from my local parts place for $65

Thanx anyway stewart.
natez
Regular

April 2003
Re: 4AGE oxy sensor Mon, 01 March 2004 09:54 Go to previous message
i went to toyospares they sold me a screw in type oxy sensor for $50 for my 4age

The exhaust place charged $25 to install... they had there own flange etc etc
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:wanted TA22 bonnet brace
Next Topic:WTD: camry GTP wheels
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Oct 8 00:31:49 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059890747070312 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.