Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
94mr2turbo
Regular

April 2003

FS: 3S-GTE Gen 3 cams Sat, 21 February 2004 07:37 Go to next message
I just upgraded the cams on my MR2 so my Gen 3 cams are up for sale. From what I've heard, they're a direct fit into a Gen 2 motor. I'm located in Sydney.

Price: $200

You can contact me on 0404-018-031 (Jason)
  Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: FS: 3S-GTE Gen 3 cams Sat, 21 February 2004 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What type of cams did you upgrade to?
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: FS: 3S-GTE Gen 3 cams Sat, 21 February 2004 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
going to see about confirming the cam into a gen 2 ..

if definantly possible - count me as interested!
94mr2turbo
Regular

April 2003

Re: FS: 3S-GTE Gen 3 cams Sun, 22 February 2004 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique, I asked around and they're a direct fit into a Gen 2 motor. MR2 turbo owners in the US with Gen 2 motors have been doing this conversion.

Cool1, I upgraded to HKS 272's.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: FS: 3S-GTE Gen 3 cams Sun, 22 February 2004 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HKS cams sweet. How does the engine go with them installed? Can i ask how much you paid for them?
94mr2turbo
Regular

April 2003

Re: FS: 3S-GTE Gen 3 cams Sun, 22 February 2004 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll let you know how the car goes with them in when I get the damn car back Sad Which should be this week (rebuilding the entire motor). A good friend of mine on holiday in Japan was able to get them for me with the matching HKS valvesprings for $1100 brand new. And before anyone asks, I can't get anymore at the moment, he brought the cams with him when he returned.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: FS: 3S-GTE Gen 3 cams Sun, 22 February 2004 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bargain. Yeah let us know how it goes when you get it back cause I'm sure a few people on here would be interested.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: FS: 3S-GTE Gen 3 cams Sun, 22 February 2004 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
keep me informed - still interested in the cams though im doing the same as you atm - Im rebuilding a gen2 group A motor ..

i should know by the end of the week how much the install and rebuild is going to cost - and ill ask my builder re cams if he'd pop them in too while the motors disassembled .. If so - ill let you know and get them posted down

94mr2turbo
Regular

April 2003

Re: FS: 3S-GTE Gen 3 cams Sun, 22 February 2004 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1, I'll definetely let you's know how it goes.

Classique71, if they're going to rebuild your entire motor, which means that they'll be reconditioning your head also, they should be able to pop in the cams for you. I'm trying to find out if you need to convert the shims too, which shouldn't be much of an issue seeing as though you're building a whole motor. If you don't mind, can you let me know how much your build will cost, I just wanna know how much others are paying.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: FS: 3S-GTE Gen 3 cams Mon, 23 February 2004 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine will be a little misguiding as i sourced the engine and the parts to rebuild the internals cheaply - but ill let you know what the actual putting the thing back together and getting my oversized forgies put in cost for sure ..

94mr2turbo
Regular

April 2003

Re: FS: 3S-GTE Gen 3 cams Tue, 24 February 2004 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just found out that you will not have to change the shims. The clearances are identical, which confirms that they are a direct fit. If you're rebuilding your engine, and in turn re-conditioning your head, they should be able to fit the cams at a minimum cost.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: FS: 3S-GTE Gen 3 cams Tue, 24 February 2004 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well engine arrives tonuight for pickup tomorrow - then to be assessed on the weekend - ill ask the huilder what he thnks re cams - whether those will make any vast improvements over what i have - and go from there Smile

Ill keep you informed re progress
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: FS: 3S-GTE Gen 3 cams Tue, 24 February 2004 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey just out of curiosity,
What does the Gen 3 cams have over say the Gen 2 Group A ones?
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: FS: 3S-GTE Gen 3 cams Wed, 25 February 2004 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the intake cam has a slightly higher duration and lift rate over the gen 2 ..

good for another 15 ish KW at the motor ( about 25 HP )

exhaust side is basically identical.
94mr2turbo
Regular

April 2003

Re: FS: 3S-GTE Gen 3 cams Thu, 26 February 2004 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So is anyone else interested in the cams??

Come on people, this is an excellent price!!
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: FS: 3S-GTE Gen 3 cams Tue, 09 March 2004 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK - looking to buy now - found out a bit more about the cams ..

can you find out a price on freight to me please?

Im in colac, victoria, 3250

$200 + postage still good ?

PM me if you need more details
94mr2turbo
Regular

April 2003

Re: FS: 3S-GTE Gen 3 cams Tue, 09 March 2004 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So VERY SORRY Classique, but they've already been sold and shipped off to Gabe and his GT30 powered Beast.
TerryOBeirne
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: FS: 3S-GTE Gen 3 cams Wed, 10 March 2004 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the gen 3 cams have 1.6mm more lift on the inlets only and 12 degrees more duration on both inlet & exhaust. on the face of it, they are a good and simple mod. However, the base circle on the cam is NOT identical to the gen 2 engine. therfore whilst they will physically bolt in, you will have to re-shim the entire head. I have encountered 1 gen 2 head where the extra lift was too much for the casting (cam hits it) and we had to relieve the alloy on the edge of the lifter bore. the gen 3 head is quite different in this area to allow for more lift. Of course, the extra lift may , on rare occassions at high revs, cause a shim to flick out. This is exacerbated by the acceleration ramps on the Gen 3 cams , which are more agressive (ie they open faster). I dont want to pour cold water on someones sale, but beware, there are some traps with 'simple" jobs
94mr2turbo
Regular

April 2003

Re: FS: 3S-GTE Gen 3 cams Wed, 10 March 2004 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the warning....

There are a few write ups on this conversion floating around the net I think (American MR2 Board).

This Gen 2 head you speak of, was it using Gen 3 cams or aftermarket cams??
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: FS: 3S-GTE Gen 3 cams Wed, 10 March 2004 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just whack in some MR2 Spider bucket shims... those suckers aren't going to pop out and from what I've read they fit straight in.
TerryOBeirne
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: FS: 3S-GTE Gen 3 cams Thu, 11 March 2004 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i had the problem with gen 3 cams into gen 2 head
MR2 3SGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: FS: 3S-GTE Gen 3 cams Thu, 11 March 2004 04:55 Go to previous message
Being a newbie, what do they actually do?
What are the advantages of the gen 3 cams in the gen 2 motor??
and how can you tell what Gen the motor is?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Placebo ticket - Adelaide
Next Topic:2x10" Subs, Amp, Box
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Oct 5 15:30:16 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0088009834289551 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.