Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Callipers St162, Ma61 and Ra60 series specs

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Callipers St162, Ma61 and Ra60 series specs Wed, 25 February 2004 12:18 Go to next message
Hi

Just wondering if anyone knows these brake callipers?

is the st162 SX calliper twin piston or single? does anyone know the piston/s sizes? pad sizes?

i know the ra/ma callipers are single piston but are they the same and what piston sizes etc?

are these brakes a decent upgrade to an RA23 standard reconditioned setup?

(using ra60/ma61 discs)

i was hoping for 50 - 80% better braking?

sound plausable?

thanks

Daniel

[Updated on: Wed, 25 February 2004 12:21]

Send a private message to this user    
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Callipers St162, Ma61 and Ra60 series specs Wed, 25 February 2004 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The ST162 calipers are single piston, and I dunno how well they'd fit onto a ra23 strut...
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Callipers St162, Ma61 and Ra60 series specs Wed, 25 February 2004 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you want some MA61 front calipers, I'll happily sell you mine as I am upgrading the brakes.

They would ab a good upgrade for the RA23, as the discs are vented and bigger diameter and the calipers suit the RA23 as they have the same stud pattern.

From previous musings, it appears that they may fit on the RA23 strut, but I don't know for sure.

If you are interested, PM me and make an offer I can't refuse and they are yours

Cheers

Michael B
levos1
Regular

March 2003
Re: Callipers St162, Ma61 and Ra60 series specs Wed, 25 February 2004 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

yeah man i also have a set of DBA gold's drilled and slotted with pads for sale!
they will give u better braking!
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Callipers St162, Ma61 and Ra60 series specs Thu, 26 February 2004 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The extra braking available from drilled and slotted rotors is minimal over standard rotors, they are more for show.

Better pads will give you better bang for buck.

Just look at any race car, how many have cross drilled rotors now ? SFA, but 99% have slotted rotors, but their pads also cost about $1000 per axle !@!!
levos1
Regular

March 2003
Re: Callipers St162, Ma61 and Ra60 series specs Thu, 26 February 2004 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Over Standard???
what are u talkin about

why would they bother to go to the extent of manufacturing drilled and slotted rotors if it didnt have any noticeable advantages!??!

but if ur gonna spend money on brakes you mite aswell do it properly!

munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Callipers St162, Ma61 and Ra60 series specs Thu, 26 February 2004 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the help guys

and the kind offers for parts

i would prefer not to get slotted and drilled rotors for my car as i believe that the disc would be more fragile and prone to damage from the constant heat up cool down process and i also believe that pad wear would increase with these as well.

Daniel
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Callipers St162, Ma61 and Ra60 series specs Thu, 26 February 2004 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
levos1 wrote on Thu, 26 February 2004 12:17

Over Standard???
what are u talkin about

why would they bother to go to the extent of manufacturing drilled and slotted rotors if it didnt have any noticeable advantages!??!

but if ur gonna spend money on brakes you mite aswell do it properly!

They make stickers, neons etc, but don't offer ant performance advantage !!!!

DBA stste the the slotted and cross-drilled rotors are not really suitable for any performance work, but are 'street dress' rotors.

Doing it properly is correct

Cheers

Michael B
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Callipers St162, Ma61 and Ra60 series specs Thu, 26 February 2004 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RA6x/MA6x calipers DO NOT fit on an RA23 strut, the bolt spacing is quite different. Have a look at what I did to mount MA61 calipers on my RA23 strut:

http://www.norbie.net/BrakeMods.htm

Not terribly difficult but some fabrication work is required. Note that the MA61 hub/disc assembly is a direct bolt on.

As for performance, I've given these brakes arseholes and they've never let me down. You'd need to be making some SERIOUS power and racing it on a track before you needed anything better.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Callipers St162, Ma61 and Ra60 series specs Thu, 26 February 2004 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice job on the caliper conversion Norbie. Seems like it might be an ideal outlet for us MA61 Brake upgraders to offload the old MA61 gear to other RA23 users Very Happy

I'm offering my set to anyone who wants them

Cheers

Michael B
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Callipers St162, Ma61 and Ra60 series specs Thu, 26 February 2004 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Thu, 26 February 2004 14:19

RA6x/MA6x calipers DO NOT fit on an RA23 strut, the bolt spacing is quite different. Have a look at what I did to mount MA61 calipers on my RA23 strut:

http://www.norbie.net/BrakeMods.htm

Not terribly difficult but some fabrication work is required. Note that the MA61 hub/disc assembly is a direct bolt on.

As for performance, I've given these brakes arseholes and they've never let me down. You'd need to be making some SERIOUS power and racing it on a track before you needed anything better.

SWEET! i read somewhere that ra60/ma61/sa63 etc shared similar springs, inserts and struts, and i wondered if they would fit on my car. I expected to have to make up a custom calliper mount but it looks simple enough. The only thing i am worried about is engineering said piece of metal. Has yours been engineer checked Norbie? Also is it ok to have an extra 18mm of track? in a legal sense?

thanks

Daniel
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Callipers St162, Ma61 and Ra60 series specs Thu, 26 February 2004 15:07 Go to previous message
No it has not been engineered. Brake upgrade? What brake upgrade? Wink

The track increase probably isn't legal, but it's easy enough to get around that using wheels with a suitable offset.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ra23 front suspension set up
Next Topic:AE86 Diff ...
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Jul 1 04:28:55 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058720111846924 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.