Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Coolant change?? Help Please...BURPING

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
icon4.gif  Coolant change?? Help Please...BURPING Thu, 26 February 2004 04:34 Go to next message
I'm just doing a coolant change at mom on a 4age. I sort of flushed system then refilled with just water and ran car (as last flush method..to drain it out again). I left radiator cap off and you could see the air bubbles coming out as car was idling. After about 3 or so minutes though, some frothing was occuring at the top of radiator. I assume this is when the thermostat is open. Is this normal. I remember it did this 2 or so years ago when i did my last coolant change and didn't know whether it was something bad . Thanks. Does anybody elses do this. its an AE82 4age

EDIT - I just filled it up with coolant cause I thought if it is a Head Gasket problem I can't do anything about it now. But it doesn't froth anymore..wierd. One thing though..I've been burping the system. How can you be sure you have got rid of all the bubbles.

Process I used please check if this is ok:

Idled car with radiator cap off with radiator full for about 5mins. Swithched car off and added some more water.

then Repeated. I can now idle the car for about 5min with no bubble present but every now and then I see a bit of a bubble - do i have to let the car idle for like 15 min with radiator cap off? Or is a little bubble ok. I also squezzed the top radiator hoses and this produced some bubbles.

I've done a few coolant changes before but I've never been this fussy..maybe I was lucky not to have troubles in the past!

[Updated on: Thu, 26 February 2004 06:06]

Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Coolant change?? Help Please...BURPING Thu, 26 February 2004 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A few little bubbles every now and then are nothing to worry about; just make sure the big ones are gone.
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Coolant change?? Help Please...BURPING Thu, 26 February 2004 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Norbie, that's promising Smile . It's wierd how I got all that frothing at first. Have you ever had that?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Coolant change?? Help Please...BURPING Thu, 26 February 2004 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's quite common when you have air in the system being churned up by the water pump. Nothing to worry about.
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Coolant change?? Help Please...BURPING Thu, 26 February 2004 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Common.. I like that. I'm a bit of a stresspot Shocked . Wasn't looking forward to replacing the head gasket. Thanks for the counselling Norbie Smile
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Coolant change?? Help Please...BURPING Thu, 26 February 2004 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
easiest way to flush the system is with a aircompressor if u have one. once u run clean water through push high pressure air through to get rid of all the water from in the block. Then fill with coolant. If done this way then u should not get any airbubbles at all. We do it this way at work everyday and its the only way ive found that doesnt require bleeding at the end.
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Coolant change?? Help Please...BURPING Thu, 26 February 2004 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That would save a bit of mucking around. Don't have an air compressor though. DO many home mechanics have one.. I've been thinking of buying one from Kmart..i don't know if theyd be crappy though
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Coolant change?? Help Please...BURPING Thu, 26 February 2004 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i park mine up a steep hill (ie mofo steep driveway) and let it idle with the rad cap off...

the cap now being the highest point in the system - by far- i seem to get more bubbles out more quickly than other ways ive tried
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Coolant change?? Help Please...BURPING Thu, 26 February 2004 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's one I can do..I did read that somewhere but skimmed over it. I'll definately use that one next time..thanks ed
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Coolant change?? Help Please...BURPING Thu, 26 February 2004 11:14 Go to previous message
the kmart ones are alright for small stuff. All mechanics have compressors im pretty sure.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4age fuel rail, which is inlet and outlet
Next Topic:Advance or Retard
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Oct 6 16:15:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0077149868011475 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.