Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Gt4 group A gearboxes..

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Gt4 group A gearboxes.. Sat, 06 March 2004 04:54 Go to next message
Just need some ponts clarified guys

Are the st185 group a and st205 group a gearboxes the same internally - ie o they share the same uprated synchros and ratios ? Are they as strong as each other too ?

I know both are short shifter blessed - and have a shorter clutch throw also ..

As for the clutch - my gt4 already has a uprated clutch plate in it - and i will be using this on the new motor - will this bolt up to a group a gearbocx without any dramas and without effecting the shorter clutch throw of the group A gearbox ?

Thats it for now
  Send a private message to this user    
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Gt4 group A gearboxes.. Sun, 07 March 2004 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got no idea about the Group-A stuff, but I'm taking the shortshifter from my RAV4's gearbox (which only just fits, with some modifications) and transferring it to the ST205's gearbox. Very Happy This will fit because it's the same gearbox design, just with different synchro's and a different final drive ratio. That's why I need the rear diff from the 185 as well. So the ratios for the final drive will match up. The RAV's box and rear diff will be taken out and hopefully sold to someone who needs an AWD setup for cheap. Smile
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Gt4 group A gearboxes.. Mon, 08 March 2004 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mostly they are the same. The gearbox side of things is identical for all areas that count like syncros, gearset, carriers etc. there are some slight diferences in the shifer mechanism in the later model 205 boxes but that's about it.

On the transfer case side of things though there are major differences. The GrpA 185 has the 3.9 final drive ratio as opposed to the 205's 4.285. The 185 box retains FWD selector for 2WD dynos. This is gone on the 205 to apparently (have never confirmed myself) to allow for a bigger viscous coupling to the rear.

No probs swapping any of the boxes with each other as casings, shaft sizes etc are interchangeable.

Bigfella - drop me an email if you're interested in the ST185 GrpA LSD rear diff i have spare
spectral
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Gt4 group A gearboxes.. Mon, 08 March 2004 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, the 2WD selector is missing from the ST205.

I was looking at using an ST185 Grp A box for my ST185, but the final drive ratio was taller, so its not as good for acceleration as the ST205.

My car is street driven and goes to the drags occasionally, so acceleration was much more important to me than top speed, or cruising RPM.

There are differences with the speed sensor as well. You need to stick your ST185 one in the ST205 box. No fitment problems thou.

Speaking of speed sensor, if anyones got an electronic one spare that they want to sell (the part that attaches onto the speedo drive "hole" on the box, and has a plug with 3 (?) wires coming of it).. pls let me know. Mine died a while ago.

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Gt4 group A gearboxes.. Mon, 08 March 2004 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats this 2wd selector your mentioning ??

havent heard of that before !
spectral
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Gt4 group A gearboxes.. Mon, 08 March 2004 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there is a lever on the gearbox that selects between 2WD and 4WD mode. Its for towing and dyno use.

It was taken off for the ST205.

basically means that on a ST205 you can only be towed on a flatbed truck and dyno at an AWD dyno Smile

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Gt4 group A gearboxes.. Mon, 08 March 2004 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
interesting - so it basically disengages the transfer case ?

be interesting to dyno the gt4 in 2wd mode as well Wink

wheres this lever ?

spectral
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Gt4 group A gearboxes.. Mon, 08 March 2004 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its just next to the transfer casing. Sorta hard to explain. Have you got the BGB? It details its operation in there.

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Gt4 group A gearboxes.. Mon, 08 March 2004 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nope - havent got that ..
spectral
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Gt4 group A gearboxes.. Mon, 08 March 2004 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'll bring the BGB into work and scan in the page detailing its use tomorrow for you.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Gt4 group A gearboxes.. Mon, 08 March 2004 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hooray!
Puffy
Regular

May 2002
Re: Gt4 group A gearboxes.. Mon, 08 March 2004 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Group A (st185) box has double syncros in second and third gear for extra strenght.

The 205's - Im not sure if they do also.

RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Gt4 group A gearboxes.. Mon, 08 March 2004 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wonder how interchangeable the RAV's shafts are with the GT-Four's? Theoretically they should be the same, if not similar?

I've been told the ST205 has double synchro's in it's box as well, and highly in demand.

Justen, if I didn't already buy a second-hand ST185 diff, I'd be more than interested. Very Happy But I don't know if it's LSD or not.
spectral
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Gt4 group A gearboxes.. Tue, 09 March 2004 00:18 Go to previous message
As promised

http://sabretooth.id.au/2WD-select-lever.jpg
http://sabretooth.id.au/2WD-lever-instructions.jpg
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Help - 4A-G Conversion
Next Topic:RA28 Project - help a newb :)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Jun 12 13:16:35 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.11632299423218 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.