Toymods » General Car Talk » ST162 dedicated thread

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 09 April 2005 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think 60mm for superlows..

edit. finally off page 34 Rolling Eyes Very Happy

[Updated on: Sat, 09 April 2005 08:32]

Send a private message to this user    
sleeker162
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 09 April 2005 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yer sweet, well if clint CLG doesnt come through ill chase up warrior for one.
any one have a st185 map sensor? thats for sale? pm me if u do
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 09 April 2005 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yer im pretty sure its 2.5inch for superlows. there fuckin low but.. speed bumps r not ur friend with superlows but i wouldnt swap them for nething they add alot of style to the celicas shape
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 09 April 2005 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in the usa i been seeing alot of coilover kits for the 162 celica etc just wondering if anyone has come across one in aust its a simple conversion just drop the thread over the tower etc
?????????????????????
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 09 April 2005 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
super lows are 50mm and lows are 30mm....

ok after doing one day of sleeker162 wiring job on the 4th gen with st185 3s-gte...people get a fucking half cut and not jus the engine unless u going full re-wire aftermarket programable ECU...it suck a pain in the arse...and i'm sure brad will agree were....alarms fitted to cars that getting engien swap are very very bad..and cause much head aches...lol

well i should the box gear and gauge cluster so i'm a happy chapy...3in/3.5in zorst soon!!!!!

Nezza Cool
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 10 April 2005 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cut the fuckin alarm out and put it back in wen its runnin
my 2 cents of knowledge lol
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 10 April 2005 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why? Aren't most alarms just single point imobilisation at the ignition? Just curious, may be doing a conversion soon - doing my homework Very Happy
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 10 April 2005 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
30mm for lows?Can someone please post a pic or send to stu_chamberz@hotmail.com. Thanx guys

I think 30mm will be enough of a drop
sleeker162
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 10 April 2005 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a big thanks to nezza for all your time this weekend wiring my car.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 10 April 2005 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no u suck my dick eddie

wat about me i supervised for an hour or 2 lol
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 10 April 2005 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
berad wrote on Sat, 09 April 2005 22:05

in the usa i been seeing alot of coilover kits for the 162 celica etc just wondering if anyone has come across one in aust its a simple conversion just drop the thread over the tower etc
?????????????????????

I have a set of coilovers due to arrive this week. They were made up by Ground Control (you can look them up online) who use Eibach springs and their own coil over sleeves. Edwin did all the running around for them, you can catch him on MSN (ilpoto@hotmail.com) and get the details from him. Just introduce yourself as being from the Toymods forum Smiley =
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 10 April 2005 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bookin the car into the shop tomoro hopefuly she will come back runnin soonish Very Happy

and dont cost me an arm and a leg

[Updated on: Sun, 10 April 2005 10:47]

sleeker162
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 10 April 2005 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
suck my dick eddie u black mutha fucker, u the fuck u man right
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 10 April 2005 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it all good jessie...got to get more silly-car wiht 3s-gte's on the road man...never enough of them!

Nezza Cool
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 11 April 2005 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys!
i fitted in some new suspension bushes for the car, and although it took quite a bit of work getting the old ones off and the new ones in! they actually do quite a bit for the car. among the noticable differences were corners, braking, and the the feel of the car over rough surfaces (much bumpier than before). the bushes themselves were quite cheap ($70 for the set) but labor was the killer!

Cheers
matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 11 April 2005 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDCelica wrote on Sat, 09 April 2005 14:27

Dude,

Can't wait to hear how the Gen3 3SGE goes.
Keep us posted. No doubt you will, and good luck with the
conversion.

Cheers
T.

I can't wait to do it either! Smile

Won't be for a while though, after I buy the motor etc it will have to sit for a while until I build the funds up again. Probably in a few month's time. Will definitely keep you posted.

I use this guy's car as my inspiration:

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/770872

Belongs to a guy on the celicatech forums, and it's great to see that it has already been done!

Cheers,
-Matt

berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 11 April 2005 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone fitted 18s to there 162. i seen a few celicas in brisbane with 18's
but i may come into prblems as got superlows in the car but the guards have the inner guard rolled so i might be ok
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 11 April 2005 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i found a distrubtor of kaaz lsd's... im in the stages of gettin a price ill post it wen i know
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 11 April 2005 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
berad wrote on Mon, 11 April 2005 19:24

i found a distrubtor of kaaz lsd's... im in the stages of gettin a price ill post it wen i know

let me know too.. is the kaaz lsd for the s53 boxes?
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 11 April 2005 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine's on kings super lows, doesn't seem that low. Top of standard tyre for rear is about 1-2cm from the arch (standard 14inch with 60 profile i think it is?) fronts seem only slightly lower then standard. But I'm comparing with a standard that has springs that seem to have sagged quite a bit.

In other news, my 24mm front swaybar has arrived and will be fitted this Friday (custom made by whiteline) only 20odd$ more then they're 22mm one. Will let you know how it goes Smile
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 11 April 2005 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Superlows?Lows?

Could i bother some of you guys to take a side on profile shot of your car and post it up?I still cant decide whether or not to get lows or super lows.Thanx guys

Other news i drained all fluids out of the car and have started labelling and pulling out all leads, plugs etc-making way for the engine to come out.,Also got a quote for head skim,inlet port match, new exhaust valves,valve seals, seat regrind and slight port,new shims.Im gonna be looking at about 400 all up.Whatya reckon????

Catcha guys
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 12 April 2005 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
upgrade the valve springs etc wile ur at it not much more for beter ones
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 12 April 2005 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey dood i got lows on my st162, take a look at my car in my sig and have a look, i think lows are best value, oh yeh and the back looks lower then the front cos its on a slope.
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 12 April 2005 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Question for those people with lowered st162's:
Does your rear cambers bend in on the back?becuase my rear wheels bend into the guards quite a bit on 30mm drop springs?And is this called positive or negative camber?i get the two confused Razz
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 12 April 2005 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I do believe it's negative camber. But not very sure.

And yes mine do tilt in like that too, the front's do as well but no where near as much.
And as soon as I can be bothered finding some webspace I'll take some pictures of my car. Any ideas on free webspace for pictures?
djcougar
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 12 April 2005 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
www.photobucket.com
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 12 April 2005 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
StuC - Here's a side on pic for ya. Pls excuse the dirty car, pic was taken just after i painted all the black bits around the bottom.

http://members.optushome.com.au/an-d/images/side.j pg

Want to give us some pointers on removing the engine from these things? I'm starting my Gen 3 conversion this weekend hopefully as the engine in the car atm carked it!
RP_st162
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 12 April 2005 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okay heres a pic of mine, but its the most fucked up angle, lol,

as you can see (barely) the back sits very nice but the front is a little high. this is using kings superlow on rear, and kings low on front, with standard struts, sitting on 17x7.5in

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/silver_162/DSC03996.jpg

it looks like it site with a slight lean upward, but its mostly due to the slightly squared off rear arch. I myself want the front guard right over the front wheels with just a slight clearance, so im going for superlows soon

With handling, its good and it rarely ever scrubs or bottoms out.
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 13 April 2005 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for tips on taking the engine out, if you have enough space, lift the car up and drop the engine out much easier/quicker then lifting the engine out.

other then that make sure you disconnect everything before you start dropping, if you're using the same wiring harness (don't know if you can) label everything Smile And the number one tip, make sure you have everything you could possibly need before you start.
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 13 April 2005 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aust162 wrote on Tue, 12 April 2005 18:51

Question for those people with lowered st162's:
Does your rear cambers bend in on the back?becuase my rear wheels bend into the guards quite a bit on 30mm drop springs?And is this called positive or negative camber?i get the two confused Razz

Its negative camber when the top of the wheel goes in towards the body of the car and the bottom of the wheel goes away from the body, and opposite for positive which looks weird.
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 13 April 2005 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanx for the pics guys.Im gonna go lows cos i think superlows will just be too damn low for my liking on those dirt roads....

Andy, what charlie said-if you can drop the engine instead of lifting it it is much easier, but otherwise take the g'box off first, drop that and then lift the engine out.Im gonna lift the car over coz i can do it on a 2 post hoist.Also, make sure you label everything-i mean everything.Get those glad bags if you can for all of the loose bolts and if you're pulling apart elec connectors put matching marks on each half....so much easier when evrything is going back in.

i'll keep you updated guys
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 13 April 2005 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why would u drop the box off 1st? just making more work for ur self
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 13 April 2005 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know its more workj but its a bit of a tight fit to take it out from above with it still attached isnt it??I havent gotten that far yet-i get 20 mins a day to work on it which sucks
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 13 April 2005 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no it comes out nice....
just lift it by the hook on the alternator it will angle up as u lift it comes out perfect
and wen u put it bakc in use both but u need to angle it
but its fine to much fuckin round pullin it to bits in the bay
sleeker162
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 13 April 2005 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah leave the box on
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 13 April 2005 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah for all the FWD just taking it out and putting her in..take the gear box mount near the battery off the gear box completly and then she comes out good...

only drop the engine and the box if it a GT-$ with that HUGE FUCKING gt-4 box on her..... i've taking it out once from the top...none turbo and putting to turbo FWD set up in fromthe top...

We got the engine gt-4 out of the cut by under the whole sub frame (what the do in the toyota workshop) and liftinn the cut (they lift hte car with the hoist)...

Nezza Cool
sleeker162
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 13 April 2005 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
remember to take a photo so you remember which side the box goes on when you put it back in.... i forgot to do this.... it turned out to be a disaster Crying or Very Sad
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 13 April 2005 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do it this way lol...Very Happy

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v293/warrior007/uphigh.jpg

found it much easier from underneath.

Karl

djcougar
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 13 April 2005 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol no everyone has one of those things installed in there garage karl Very Happy Razz
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 14 April 2005 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its just a blcok and tackel but instead of liftin the engine he liftd the car.. if u got the head room it is easier

but yer take the box and engine out as 1... it comes out fine just like any other car
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 14 April 2005 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wat u mean jesse
side it goes on?
it only goes on one way lol
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 14 April 2005 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the tips guys! Im not re-using the loom but I'll label the connections anyway - never know, might need them as a reference. Karl, did you lift the car with a block and tackle attached to the roof? I have a beam across the roof of my garage which 'might' be strong enough. Only prob is that its holding up the house!

sleeker162 wrote on Wed, 13 April 2005 23:29

remember to take a photo so you remember which side the box goes on when you put it back in.... i forgot to do this.... it turned out to be a disaster Crying or Very Sad

Laughing
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 14 April 2005 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forgot to ask; whats the best way to get at the RHS engine mount (the one attached to the timing belt cover)? Do I use a mega long extention and undo the bolts underneath first or somehow wedge a spanner inbetween the mount bolt and powersteering hoses? I've seen it done before, but that was using a rattle gun.
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 14 April 2005 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i was lookin at it again today and i see that it would be really easy to take it out the bottom as one-thing is, for part of my damn trade school assesment i have to remove the g'box seperately anyway-so i did that this arvo.Now i just gotta pull the engine out tomorrow arvo. Good news is that i now know how to rebuild g'boxes so i think i might do the synchros in mine while its out.

Oh, and some more bad news-found out thatv my new car has blown a HG.i just hope that the head is fine still.

I'll keep you posted
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 14 April 2005 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smashed_wombat wrote on Thu, 14 April 2005 15:14

Karl, did you lift the car with a block and tackle attached to the roof? I have a beam across the roof of my garage which 'might' be strong enough. Only prob is that its holding up the house!

I have a bar in the garage that goes from one end to the other it is also supported by the 200mm beam in the ceiling Very Happy . its great...and it was there when I bought the house..bonus.

and the best way to unbolt that engine mount is to take out the 2 nuts from underneath like you mentioned, or just remove the big 17mm bolt going through the mount. either way make sure you have the engine secured by the block and tackle before removing.
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 15 April 2005 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://photobucket.com/albums/y147/charliechalk/DCP_1936.jpghttp://photobucket.com/albums/y147/charliechalk/DCP_1937.jpg

Clearances with standard wheels/tyres, with KTRL - 86(rears) KTFL - 45's front, which According to the King Springs catalogue are Low(they don't show super low on the listings)

http://photobucket.com/albums/y147/charliechalk/DCP_1935.jpg
And a pic of my new swaybar mnn makes the rear feel a bit sloppy but prooves I do need better tyres up front. (ignore the large amounts of powersteering fluid please Smile )
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 15 April 2005 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i got superlows and its about 4mm off bumpstops that gives u some idea..
sleeker162
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 15 April 2005 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
superlows? bumpstops? you guys are crazy no idea what ur on about
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 15 April 2005 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Superlows will be about 60mm shorter travel then a standard spring, which means they need to be stiffer also. But they will not hit the bumpstops, unless the springs are very very tired and need replacing. Smile
Edit: they might hit if you go over a speed bump at 70+
And by clearance i meant from the top of the tyre to the wheel arch

[Updated on: Fri, 15 April 2005 03:59]

berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 15 April 2005 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my king springs r stiff as and not that old.. and the front has about 5mm of travel thats it then it just stops... so maybe its not the bumpstops but sure feels like it
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 15 April 2005 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
5mm from the bumpstops is crazy I doubt it dude! Wink
doobs
Regular

September 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 16 April 2005 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ey all,

I have a new problem with my car, seems that it is clunking from the front left side when I accelarate and change gears.

If I take the car out of gear and drive theres no clunking, but puting it in gear there is clunking again.

I thought it was a cv or the drive shaft (only recoed 2 weeks ago) but they are fine. Im thinking that it may be an engine mount.

What do you guys think, any suggestions?

Cheers fellas
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 16 April 2005 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mount I reckon
doobs
Regular

September 2003
PROBLEMS Sat, 16 April 2005 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
***HERE IS A MORE IN DEPTH POST CONTINUED FROM ABOVE***

Ey fellas,

Im having a bit of trouble with my st162 celica SX.

About a month ago my outer CV on the front left drive shaft broke (shattered into pieces). I had the shaft reconditioned and I re-installed it. Ever since, there has been a clicking/clunking noise coming from the left side when I accelerate. It was very slight at first, but last week it began to get much louder. Now it is very loud and sounds quite bad.

It does not clunk going round corners, seems to only do it in a straight line. It happens during very slight acceleration and get worse the harder I accelerate.

When I am stationary, and I have my foot on the brake and clutch (while in first) and then let the clutch out until the car almost stalls, I can hear a clicking noise from the left side. The same thing happens in reverse. Also if the car is on jack stands and I put it in 1st and dump the clutch I hear a clunk on the left side.

I don’t know what to check. The engine mounts LOOK fine, the drive shaft should be fine (recoed a month ago), all the nuts seem tight, so what else is there to look at.

Thanx to all who reply, I need some help.

Cheers fellas
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 16 April 2005 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i weigh like 90 kg and when i push on the guard ity goes down about 5mm and stops wen the back go down alot more... tell me why if it aint bump stops Razz
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 16 April 2005 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How far left is the noise?Have you checked all of the bolts and nuts underneath?Try removing the drivesahft again and have a look to see if its buggered, especially on the splines. The only thing i could think of is something is loose or not meshing properly, thus clunking. Whats the condition of your gbox like? It could be the transaxle?Maybe the diff gears are worn on that one side from having a failing driveshaft?

Sorry thats all i can think of-Gl with it
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: PROBLEMS Sat, 16 April 2005 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
doobs

when the cv joint shattered it might have stuffed your wheel hub.

or maybe the engine mount.

or worst case scenario (god forbid) the gearbox copped it.

process of elimination mate. I would jack up the car and turn
the wheel back-wards and forward and see if u can locate the source of the sound.

good luck mate

Karl
doobs
Regular

September 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 16 April 2005 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im thinking its either the splines on the gearbox end of the drive shaft, or the actual gearbox (diff).

I would be happy to get a new gearbox, as long as it will solve the problem. My gearbox is a little clunky anyway. Just fearing the work.

Thanx for the help keep it coming Very Happy
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 16 April 2005 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
berad wrote on Sat, 16 April 2005 18:45

well i weigh like 90 kg and when i push on the guard ity goes down about 5mm and stops wen the back go down alot more... tell me why if it aint bump stops Razz

hehe hey well I think it's just the springs getting compressed as far as they will go under your weight. You don't hit your bump stops just by leaning on your car unless something is crazy wrong Smile

Imagine what it would be like with passengers! No travel in the springs at all!
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 16 April 2005 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
yer i know wat u mean... superlow king springs r hard as fuck... but this seriously hits rock bottom... it goes boinnnggggg lol
Pages (63): [ «  <  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: '76 Corona MKII
Next Topic:Old photos
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 20:32:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.018813848495483 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.