Toymods » General Car Talk » ST162 dedicated thread

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 17 April 2005 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah man check ya A-arms (control arms) there bolts/nuts tot he chassie of the car mine did this..got a new mount and all that stuff (did it on driver side) and then i found out 3 of 4 (two n each side) nuts were finger tight Shocked Shocked Shocked .... so yeah

just tighten EVERYTHING and check the mounts....
  Send a private message to this user    
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 18 April 2005 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it turns out i h8 my car...

lol karl did u ever check out the wiring in this car
fuck me... i think they did it with a blindfold
fuckin shit everywhere
Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 18 April 2005 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okay all i have a leak of power steering fluid and i am wondering what would most likely be causing it, and how would i fix it... its dripping oil all through the underbody and is eating away and my rubber bushings which now need to be replaced.

so how can i diagnose where this leak is coming from and how would i go about fixing it?
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 18 April 2005 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get the car in the air, get a light and look around.Its probs gonna be coming from the pump itself coz they shit themselves regularly in toyotas. Also maybe the lines to and from the resvoir-Just try all lines etc.If its really dirty clean it up and then get under so you can see where new leaks are pooling.

GL mate
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 18 April 2005 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
berad wrote on Mon, 18 April 2005 15:27

it turns out i h8 my car...

lol karl did u ever check out the wiring in this car
fuck me... i think they did it with a blindfold
fuckin shit everywhere

lol...you know what. i mangled the wiring for ya..Razz .
even the 3sgte wiring harness had been tampered with mate. yea the previous owner was a bit howya goin and really didnt care very much I would say.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 18 April 2005 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes after hours of strenuios disgussions me n karl came up with maybe i should change the fuel in the tanke as it has been sittin round for 18months lmao... ghahahaha but i still dont think this is the problem
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 18 April 2005 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
power steering fluid leak.. hehe I could tell you straight away it's either the pump or the rack itself Smile

Depends on how old if it's only leaking slowly and it sprays all the way back under the car under the drivers side it'll be coming from the rack. 570$ plus just for the steering rack Smile
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 18 April 2005 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
charliechalk wrote on Mon, 18 April 2005 18:53

Depends on how old if it's only leaking slowly and it sprays all the way back under the car under the drivers side it'll be coming from the rack. 570$ plus just for the steering rack Smile

That's exactly what's happening to mine! Other than replacing it, what are the options? Disconnecting the power steering and plugging it up so it runs without power assistance?
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 18 April 2005 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There's no real way of fixing it without replacing the rack I'm lead to believe, not sure if you can take the rack off and rebuild the seals etc.

And running a power steering car without powersteering isn't a good idea, worse then a car taht didn't come with powersteering.
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 18 April 2005 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It'd be a good workout though!

I'm planning on doing an engine swap from an ST202, would the steering rack from that fit as a replacement?
Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 18 April 2005 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so what are the chances it is the pump... been quoted 180 for a new one, and that sounds alot better than getting a new steering rack. so my best bet is to clean the shizzle up and just check for leaks.

thanks fella's

lets just hope its not too expensive
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 18 April 2005 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i had a leak not so long ago, so I changed the pump, it was still leaking, it turns out the high pressure hose had a miniture hole in it.

I have a couple of good pumps in the garage.
Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 18 April 2005 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is the pump and hose hard to get too? or is it worth payin someone to find the problem and fix it?
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 18 April 2005 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My pump leaked like a mofo, had it replaced with a reco'ed item. Within a month it was leaking again! I think its just a characteristic of the car. Unless its leaking bad I'd just keep refilling and live with it. I got another pump with the gen 3 so it's all good now. The standard pump shaft got bent in the engine extraction process. Confused

About the 202 rack - the whole rear of the engine bay is different in them, so i highly doubt the steering rack would would fit. I'm spewing, the gen 3 exhaust pipe falls about 5cm short of reaching the standard cat converter... Mad
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 18 April 2005 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
does the st185 rack fit the st162 is what i'd like to know!!!

Nezza Cool
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 18 April 2005 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matt-itude wrote on Mon, 18 April 2005 23:10

is the pump and hose hard to get too? or is it worth payin someone to find the problem and fix it?

the pump is a SOB to change took me half the day, its not so much its hard, its just so hard to get at, I contemplated removing the engine but decided to be a stubborn so and so and persist.

3S-GE_Man wrote on Mon, 18 April 2005 23:49

does the st185 rack fit the st162 is what i'd like to know!!!

Nezza Cool

I have been told that it wont fit, apparently the st184 rack is slightly shorter
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 18 April 2005 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that shit i wanted to use...will it for sale then.....lol..

Nezza Cool
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 19 April 2005 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah the bolts and even the hose clamps on the pump are so freakin hard to get at + actually undo.I think a nice ratchet spanner would help this alot tho.

With regards to the rack, when you get it recoed all they do is take it apart, flush it, replace seals and boots and give it back to ya-so i dont see y you couldnt do it yourself.I change at least 1 a week at work but they're shit easy to get in and out of mercs.

Andy, did you get the halfcut already?Jeez dude, take some pics and post em up. GL with the conversion and if you want a section of exhaust welded up, get your hands on some piping(old stuff) and give me your 2-12 section.Ill weld it all up for ya if you want.

Catcha guys
CLEEKA
Regular

April 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 19 April 2005 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to be consistant, im known as CLEEKA (not drfspec) on all celica sites!!!
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 19 April 2005 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
With regards to reco'ing the rack yourself, I would've thought getting the appropriate parts would be hard? As in seals. Wouldn't these have to come from toyota? or are they just generic sizes? Will be looking into this a lot further later on after mid year exams. Give myself something to do on the holidays Smile
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 19 April 2005 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got pics of the Gen 3 swap in progress up in my Member's Rides thread.
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=57976&start=0&rid=5197&S=4c78a3c842a bc61e7b0ca5333249dd0c

StuC - You're welcome to come around and have a look at it, reckon you could offer some helpful tips on how to drop the new motor into the car? Getting the old one out was a bit of an adventure...

EDIT: I've got a set of platinum Denso plugs in the old motor which are less than 100k's old and aren't usuable in the gen 3. Anyone interested?

[Updated on: Tue, 19 April 2005 14:12]

RP_st162
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 20 April 2005 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey
has anyone gotten there 162 colour coded?

i got quoted $700 for the middle and bottom black strips to be colour coded, plus the number plate surround, door handles and mirrors. Also the stone guard strip that goes through the bottom of the doors.

does $700 sound about right?

I was thinking about buying sideskirts and then getting it painted, how much do sideskirts cost, like the SSV ones? Im looking for susuki swift gti style side skirts?

the car is silver if that helps, and im in adelaide.

berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 20 April 2005 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont sound right to me.. u can get a whole car resprayd for 1800

but yer it is fidily work i spose
sleeker162
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 20 April 2005 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
berad wrote on Wed, 20 April 2005 15:02

yer

yer
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 20 April 2005 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe, save ya money for stuff that makes the car go faster, and leave the cosmetic stuff for trailer whore's (show cars)
RP_st162
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 20 April 2005 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
true.......but ive got the car at the performance level where ive wanted it from when i first got the car. As long as im beating commonwhores and sr20 n/a's im happy. I guess im just feeling the need to make the car look better Very Happy oh well....

i was gonna get cams, but i havent found any yet so thats why i was gonna colour code it.
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 21 April 2005 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can get TODA cams from www.modyourcar.com.au
they're about $640 a pair, alternatively, HKS makes them too but a little more exxy
RP_st162
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 21 April 2005 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers jonchai, i will look into it asap. Are these cams the same as in your 3sge???

will haf to catch up sometime for a ride in your car. Also are you going to the cruise on friday nite (22nd)??? People from nissan silvia and toyota car club have organised it
RP_st162
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 21 April 2005 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okay i went to modyourcar.com.au and i must say, i am suprised to find 2 types of cams there. I was wondering which one would be beter for using on stock ecu?

The 256 / 7.9mm IN/EX or the 304 / 8.5mm IN/EX

they are both at the same price and are TODA as well.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 21 April 2005 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but my car runs Very Happy thats all that matters
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 21 April 2005 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The least aggressive cams are best to run on stocky ECU.
Oh! and you'll need adjustable cam gears!! $550 for HKS, coz they come in funky purple n blue! Surprised
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 21 April 2005 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
who cares about the color lol its illegal to have them in vision ... it is in qld neway Razz obx sell them for 250 for the pair in red and chrome and blue also Razz

[Updated on: Thu, 21 April 2005 07:43]

jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 21 April 2005 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But I LIKE purple Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 21 April 2005 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've replaced both the pump and the rack. I don't think the pump was more than a few hundred installed, and the rack i was quoted about $800 or some shit installed, $600 or so for the reco rack alone. Fortunately i got a 2nd hand rack off karl (thanks dude) for $150 Very Happy
So look for a 2nd hand one if it is the rack. It does seem that celica's came with power steering fluid leaks stock in all st162's.
RP_st162
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 21 April 2005 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok so ill go for the 256 degree but need cam gears.....hmmm are the obx cam gears a good piece of kit???

$250 is a good price for cam gears, where can i get them in adelaide?? and last question, with these cams, do i need any other upgrades such as stronger springs, shim under buckets, valves, etc, etc ?????

and is it still possible to use the stock cam gear cover over the new ones?

[Updated on: Thu, 21 April 2005 12:00]

3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 21 April 2005 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah the not bad prices....finialy good to hear bread man...just to be shity fuel and that fuel fucking up the spark plugs....

there another site...as New Zealand site has cams like 5 different ones for both 3s-ge and 3s-gte setups....and like 800 odd for both or some thing!

Nezza Cool
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 22 April 2005 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a mp;category=18286&item=4544188993&rd=1& ;ssPageName=WD4V
Need i say anymore?

Not too keen on the wrx lights, or the rear bar, or the decals.. Apart from that i like the fact that it WAS a st162 sx once!!!
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 22 April 2005 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saw this at DynoDay 7 looked hot
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 22 April 2005 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
www.obxracing.com i think

or u can get them off ebay youll probly get em for cheaper on ebay
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 22 April 2005 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RP_st162 wrote on Thu, 21 April 2005 21:55

ok so ill go for the 256 degree but need cam gears.....hmmm are the obx cam gears a good piece of kit???

$250 is a good price for cam gears, where can i get them in adelaide?? and last question, with these cams, do i need any other upgrades such as stronger springs, shim under buckets, valves, etc, etc ?????

and is it still possible to use the stock cam gear cover over the new ones?

I suppose any adjustable cam gears will do the job. and no, stock cam gears will only piss-off your tuner.
upgrades of valve spring etc i would think arent neccesary although...since u have the top end apart, u might aswell change them???? perhaps no need for upgrade unless u have a need to redline higher Razz
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 22 April 2005 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i seriously wouldnt bother with a stock ecu... more than likely it wont drive to well
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 22 April 2005 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Car is nearly back together peeps!

I thought I'd post a link to something you all may be interested in - if you want to cure ST162 ECU woes then get behind this project!

EOI : ST162 Owners! Group Buy - MegaSquirt

[Updated on: Fri, 22 April 2005 15:02]

charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 22 April 2005 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A theoretical question for those who know general prices for parts on the 3sge. If I have 4000$ to throw at the engine would it be possible to make this engines output close to or better than the BEAMS 3sge? (ignoring fuel efficiency at lower revs(vvti advantage))

I am interested in this because, as cool as it would be to have a beams in a 162, I have a 3sge sitting around doing nothing and it would save a bit of hassle with the wiring.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 23 April 2005 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For $4000? Stick a turbo on and you'll get similar performance. Going down the NA route though you'd probably have to spend closer to $8000 to get BEAMS performance.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 23 April 2005 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You could probably save yourself a few dollars though with a MegaSquirt ECU rather than grabbing something totally nuts like an Autronic hehehe Razz
sleeker162
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 23 April 2005 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have fun drivin up and down your drive way brad ???
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 23 April 2005 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wouldnt waste my money u could do a standard 3sgte conversion for 4000 if u do most of it ur self ask nezza he did it for less

jesse ... yer sure did skid it u cunt lol
sleeker162
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 23 April 2005 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yer nice one, give darren that shiz nit tomoz coz he's headin over here to drop off my pipes, failure to comply will result in a visit from my mate thundercleesh

http://www.uwm.edu/People/mickels2/thundercleese.gif

[Updated on: Sat, 23 April 2005 10:13]

berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 23 April 2005 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yer failure to comply with me will result in me drinkin a carton of rum whilst lisenin to the rammstein album... go angry cunt???? lol
sleeker162
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 23 April 2005 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats it

http://www.c4vct.com/kym/sg/snaps/litb27.jpg
Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 23 April 2005 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my muffler is current on its last legs. so that will be on the short list to be replaced.

i may as well do a catback piping upgrade while i am at it.

obviously i would like another 100kW from my exhuast... but in all seriousness, what size pipe should i be looking for, and what muffler/resonator combination should i be looking for?

i want a kickass roar on full throttle at above 3500 rpm and a nice rumble on idle.... but when cruising on the freeway and or roads i would like to avoid having a drone and attention from the police.

just that i see many a annoying civic on the road and i don't really want to be classed like that.

charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 23 April 2005 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, thought it would cost a bit for that much output, oh well. See what I've got when the time comes I guess would really like to keep a n/a engine in it though.

As for piping, 2-2.5 inch i would guess would be all that is required for a standard 3sge that far down the gases have cooled a bit and don't take up as much volume either.
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 23 April 2005 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first of all, I have 2.5inch allthru exhaust and it does what u described with a FAT lumpy idle coz of cams! I think it depends more on ur exhaust maker than size etc. Pay for a good muffler!!

ANYONE WITH AN "AIR FLOW METER" TO SPARE!!
I need one preferably in good condition than can fit a ST162 series 2. not sure if there is a difference between the series 1 and 2. Will pay for item and if possible seller can include price of item and freight to Adelaide. thanks a bunch!! Smile
Can please PM me!

[Updated on: Sat, 23 April 2005 16:59]

berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 23 April 2005 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got 2 gen 1 3sge afm's find out if it will work and get back to me
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 23 April 2005 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yer like he said its mroe the quality of mufflers etc that they use that will give u your sound... what i did wen i had a 3sge in my car i just left the standard system and got a muffler welded onto the back a round "sports " one and a 4inch tip off it lookd pretty good and was probaly one of the best exhausts ive heard from a n/a car

but yer i seem to think canon's on n/a cars usualy give a duck noise or a drone u got like a 1 in a 100 chance of it soundin good exhausts r weird things lol
sleeker162
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 23 April 2005 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i still cant believe u sold that cannon, for 50 BUX Mad
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 24 April 2005 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cry me a river and drown in it dickface lol Razz

but i got ur pod adaptor so stop ur whingin
Meetch
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 24 April 2005 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body

[Updated on: Sun, 24 April 2005 04:28]

sleeker162
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 24 April 2005 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
now now brad.... ease up on the rum and ramstien you angry little man
Meetch
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 24 April 2005 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
My New Celica 1986 ST162

Any ideas what to do to it?

http://img251.echo.cx/img251/9828/dcp034485hl.jpg
Pages (63): [ «  <  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: '76 Corona MKII
Next Topic:Old photos
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 06:44:06 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.018063068389893 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.