Toymods » General Car Talk » ST162 dedicated thread

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
drft spec - st167
Regular

November 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 02 May 2004 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
um yeah my mate in white st162 is just going to get some stockies and paint them black and lower it. looks nice

.....but powder coated rims look better.

Send a private message to this user    
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 02 May 2004 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Draza I'll have a look through my tear down and rebuild book it's got quite a few elec circuits, If I find the one your after I'll scan and send it to ya some how.

Also, does anyone know how they improved (I'm guessing the head) on the 2nd generation 3sge so that it didn't require tvis, also whether or not you could modify the 2nd gen to match up with a tvis manifold and what the outcome would be? I know this should be in tech but hey somebody here's gotta know something right Smile
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 02 May 2004 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charlie I think the gen2 3sge still had Tvis on it but I could be wrong, I thought they only got rid of tvis for the gen3. cause I saw a gen2 in an mr2 and it's intake manifold still said T-VIS (like it's real important Laughing )

hey adrain those ones in that pic are the stock 14" rims from the ST162 series2. Since you don't have alot of cash I'd say just go for the painting, cause powder coating I know is expensive.

Doobs, It may be best otherwise with super low springs you car is gonna be one of those that you see just bouncing about and will make for one rough ride, getting the right shock for the springs could make it still smoothish.

eski boy, doesn't mean it's a jap import just because of the seats, those sports bucket seats came as a factory option, or they could be installed later. It's probably just an SX.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 02 May 2004 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ATTENTION

Since I get alot of questions on The engine swap, Here is a little page I wrote a while ago just after I finished it. I contained everything I did during the swap.
http://www.geocities.com/social_ccg/conversions/jo el_3sgte.html

And here are a few other helpful links I found while doing it.

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=17043&start=0&rid=2471&S=4871408cedf 1408f643f35b0cfb2ec05
my costs are listed here

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=294&prevloaded=1&rid=58&S=7d2bae3b71 96d56dc528110a09514e58&rev=&reveal=&st art=0&count=10

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=17938&start=0&rid=2471&S=e55b33db295 680566695899295fb9c0e

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=28076&rid=2471&S=b1555d27fec44bb79daedaf 2230a6c3f&pl_view=&start=0#msg_243868

Please don't revive these old posts, leave them be, they are just Info sources

http://www.toyotacelicaonline.com/celica1/3sgteswa p.htm

http://gtfour.supras.org.nz/Technical.htm

Hey Draza if you want you can rip all this shit and use it in your publication

edit: more links

[Updated on: Mon, 10 May 2004 15:04]

Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 02 May 2004 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thx, i'll try and get it all together for easy access.
doobs
Regular

September 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 02 May 2004 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ey all,

When you's change ya spark plugs, what do you use to take em out eg. the stock thing they give ya or some other tool?

If you use the stock thing did it come with a handle to put in the holes at the top or do you just use a screw driver?

Also what sort of spark plugs do you use, and what is the gap for a 3sge?

Thanx for the help, as you can tell im a novice when it come to engine work (evan as basic as this) so any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 02 May 2004 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.japparts.com.au/products/stock-arriving .html For those sticking with the 3sge, have a look at the half cuts avaliable in the toyota section, Celica 202 3sge for 2200$

that's 195bhp and vvti Smile with no doubt a proper gearbox. I'll be ordering in one of these after I finish uni that's for sure haha Very Happy

Just thought I'ld post it incase anyone was interested Smile
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 02 May 2004 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ME TOO! Very Happy

we can do the swap together.. I finish this year? how about you Wink

Wiso, LOVE the post mate.. good stuff Wink
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 03 May 2004 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are there many 165's floating round Toymods???
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 03 May 2004 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hardly any.. and no regulars *sniff*

till I get mine Evil or Very Mad
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 03 May 2004 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

and no regulars

There is now! Haven't gotten round to posting something in the members rides section, but i'll get there. I was going to wait till i get some rims, but various other projects have put them on hold. The sleeper look is growing on me too...
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 03 May 2004 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woohoo!!!! Very Happy

I approve Wink
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 03 May 2004 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
finish in another 2 and a half years... oh well
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 03 May 2004 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobST162 wrote on Mon, 03 May 2004 13:10

hardly any.. and no regulars *sniff*

till I get mine Evil or Very Mad

*cough* ahem * coughh * St185 *
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 03 May 2004 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry Stuart I think they were talking about ST165's not ST185's there are heaps of ST185's on here.

Hey Rob love the new avatar.
SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 03 May 2004 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobST162 wrote on Sat, 01 May 2004 14:35

the controller is in the door, and is easy to get to.

I have 3 spares here at home if you want/need one. I don't now if the ST model had central though dude, but if you need a controller you can have one

Rob

Cheers mate, i'll have a look when i can be bothered, but remember i live in melb which means you'll have to post them, but if i need them i'll pay for the postage.

doobs:
Quote:

1. Im almost about to buy a set of springs for the silly car, but I need to know, will i have to buy new shockers aswell? of will the stock ones work fine? The springs I would get lower the car about 2.5"

It probably is best to get shockers as well if your going to buy springs or else it will be rough, KYB shocks aren't bad for the price, and a set of super low King springs will go well. I just cut my springs cos i know i'm getting new suspension once my conversion will be done. But it bounces around a fair bit.
You might have seen my car in Geelong before as i used to live there.

Quote:

2.When you's change ya spark plugs, what do you use to take em out eg. the stock thing they give ya or some other tool?

If you use the stock thing did it come with a handle to put in the holes at the top or do you just use a screw driver?

Also what sort of spark plugs do you use, and what is the gap for a 3sge?

There is a specific socket with rubber on the inside that fits onto your ratchet with an extension, its the same with all other spark plugs. If your changing spark plugs just refer to the guide or some guy at the counter when your buying the new ones, as my Celica book is in my car at the moment and i don't know off the top of my head.
SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 03 May 2004 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wiso wrote on Mon, 03 May 2004 23:31

Sorry Stuart I think they were talking about ST165's not ST185's there are heaps of ST185's on here.

Hey Rob love the new avatar.

I was just about to say that, ha Surprised

Me too Rob, but i don't know how to get mine up, i keep giving it a URL like my images at members rides but it doesn't like it. I must be dumb. Razz
Sorry if everyones hates all my quotes but they were necessary.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 03 May 2004 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah dude you acctually don't give it a URL, you press the browse button and select the file off your own hard drive. and click preview, then update your profile, then after nark is next online he will either approve it or reject it, he notify you by PM
SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 03 May 2004 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i thought that would be the obvious thing to do you see, so i tryed something different, and it DIDN'T WORK. Now i have to resize some image, thanks alot wiso, big help you are. JK Very Happy Laughing Very Happy
doobs
Regular

September 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 03 May 2004 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ey all,

Change my spark plugs and the car seems to rev nicer and i rekon it pciks up better at low revs Razz

The gap is 1.1mm, I got them at repco and they where already done.

I should have my K&N Filter soon and then i can begin work on a cai.

Also geting a set of very nice leads made up by a bloke in geelong.

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 04 May 2004 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey glad you guys like the avatar.. I was kinda attached to my old one Smile

Quote:

Cheers mate, i'll have a look when i can be bothered, but remember i live in melb which means you'll have to post them, but if i need them i'll pay for the postage.

they are quite small and light. $3.50 max postage
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 04 May 2004 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heh - yeah i know - but im gunna try my best to convert rob to the St185 brigade in july * grin *

I know the Grey one will " influence " his decision
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 04 May 2004 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no Shocked

(jedi hand wave) Rob will stick with an ST16* series

Don't give in to the influence, fight it, don't go to he grey side luke..... Oh I mean Rob.

Laughing Rolling Eyes
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 04 May 2004 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heh , the grey side has already been down his path , and forever will haunt his destiny ....

SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 04 May 2004 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
doobs wrote on Tue, 04 May 2004 08:35

If your gonna make a c.a.i i know a cheap way to do it, go to "Something Munday" its in Nth Geelong next to the Arena, they have this pretty good grey tubing you can get for about 20 bucks, just measure up how much tubing you'll need before you buy it, and you can get different size tubes, its up to you, then i just used cable ties to direct it. But trust me it works and you don't have to spend much $$$.

By the way where abouts in Geelong do you live? Who's doin your leads?
SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 04 May 2004 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobST162 wrote on Tue, 04 May 2004 10:14

Quote:

they are quite small and light. $3.50 max postage

Cheers once again Rob, I'll get onto it.
doobs
Regular

September 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 04 May 2004 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SillyCar88 wrote on Tue, 04 May 2004 21:58

doobs wrote on Tue, 04 May 2004 08:35

If your gonna make a c.a.i i know a cheap way to do it, go to "Something Munday" its in Nth Geelong next to the Arena, they have this pretty good grey tubing you can get for about 20 bucks, just measure up how much tubing you'll need before you buy it, and you can get different size tubes, its up to you, then i just used cable ties to direct it. But trust me it works and you don't have to spend much $$$.

By the way where abouts in Geelong do you live? Who's doin your leads?

Ahh A mate of mine is getting the number of a guy who made up his leads for his capri. Once I find out ill send u a pm.

Cheers
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 04 May 2004 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

heh , the grey side has already been down his path , and forever will haunt his destiny ....

noooooo....... I feel the good in you Stuart! Laughing I can sense the 165 heritage. I know there is good still in you.

I am worried about the forthcoming dyno day 9 temptation wiso Smile must..hold...on.. Very Happy

nah.. well when the day comes to say goodbye to my trusty steed.. if that happens, we'll see then.. but for now, the third side of the force calls...and strongly too..

"anti-rice-induction"

a long lost secret, hidden in the dark corners of the galaxy, and the secret to the Rob's strength
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 04 May 2004 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
worried, ha don't worry man I'll be there. Seeing what I can turn the rollers at. good times, if necessary you can come for a spin in this baby again, (and I do say baby cause stuarts will be there going "who's ya daddy")
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 05 May 2004 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude

it sounds like you have a jap import from those little things you've just mentioned, my celica is a jap import, has the cruise controller on the lower stalk of the steering wheel, but i guess one way you could tell that ur car's been in japan is the japanese writting on the steering wheel adjuster thing, don't knwo what it is, but behind your steering wheel it has instructions on how to use ur adjuster, and if its a jap import i'd imagine it'd have jap writting cause mine surely does, and in the engine bay, the cover that covers ur headers' or extractors has a note mentioning that its hot, well also in jap, so maybe those little things can also help in the conformation of ur cars origins.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 05 May 2004 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not necessarily ST162GT-R, even the aus delivered ones have jap writing on the steering stalk adjustments and exhaust manifold heat shield. hell mine is aus delivered and it has jap writing, so do all the others I have seen.
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 05 May 2004 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey wiso, i was talking to a mate yesterday and he told me about a 162 owned by a girl that works near him. It apparently has 280fwkw, and is running 40psi. I've asked him to find out what it runs down the quarter. She goes through an engine a year.

It shows that we have alot to do, Rob u have even more.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 05 May 2004 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

It shows that we have alot to do, Rob u have even more.

HHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAAH

hmmmmmmmmm

Neutral
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 06 May 2004 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just teasing rob. hehe
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 06 May 2004 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wink yeah I know dude...

So you know Richard with the Green Falcon.. hmmm Smile
drft spec - st167
Regular

November 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 06 May 2004 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
umm i know got with 220fwkw, i get his 1/4 tiems for u's
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 06 May 2004 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, thats unusual, maybe mines not even a jap import at all then??, thats good news for insurance for me...so is there any real way of finding out if its a true jap import??
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 06 May 2004 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yup, look for a circly bit near the throttle butterfly, if you have egr you have a non import, if there's no egr, the engine is a jap import. How descriptive huh? haha. It looks kinda like a ufo and is the position mentioned you'll know what it is if you see it Smile
Edwin 3S-GTE
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 06 May 2004 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi guys, great thread! Nice to see some people are still interested in the ST162's. I'm relatively new to this forum, have been reading posts for some time but just didn't reply to anything Smile

I saw my ST162 project being linked on this forum (http://www.tccn.nl/st162), so I thought well let's have a chat Smile

Since 'The Engine Swap' is already discussed plenty here, I thought let's have a suspension conversation. What suspension are you guys riding on? For me, I have my suspension setup ready but have not driven is since I'm still in the progress of my Gen3 3SGTE swap... and looks like that will take at least a couple of months more.

My setup features Koni Yellow adjustable shocks, with Ground-Control coilovers (and Eibach springs), aftermarket bumpstops and sandblasted/powdercoated struts.

Here's a pic:
http://www.tccn.nl/st162/deel66/nr4.jpg
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 06 May 2004 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Edwin,

Did I tell you you're my hero?

have drooled over your site MANY times Very Happy

love your work

Suspension is nothing like yours, but I ride on H&R inserts & springs

http://www.hrsprings.com/
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 06 May 2004 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yea rob i know him. I've known him for a long time. Rob did i hear that u're thinking about making a GT2? Would be good to have another in the club.

I got new lovels coming in 3 weeks. And i'm running on pedders shocks.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 06 May 2004 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ummm draza I think I'll be right with what I got, I'd max myself at about 150fwkw, but that will be a long way off.

ST162GT-R doesn't yours have 4 wheel steering? if it has 4WS then it is deffinatly a jap import and yes they were a GT-R.

my enignes cool it doesn't have that EGR shit Rolling Eyes

Edwin My suspension setup is Low King springs, KYB inserts and Whitline swaybars, it does me fine. Yeah man love your car, i was gonna write and ask a few questions on the 3sgte swap when I did mine but I worked it out.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 06 May 2004 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

ST162GT-R doesn't yours have 4 wheel steering? if it has 4WS then it is deffinatly a jap import and yes they were a GT-R.

Nah I looked for that when i was hanging out with Julian and it doesn't Smile

a conundrum... just like my car.. lol
drft spec - st167
Regular

November 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 07 May 2004 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my suspension is stock till i get some lo king springs and then later some kyb shocks i hope
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 07 May 2004 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Man thats full weird, if my engine was replaced with a normal 1st gen 3sge, would they have removed the 4ws?? or can the 4ws be removed?? and replaced?? or what, and as for that EGR thing, well that when in and out of my ears, no idea, maybe i'll take alook next time i'm under my hood, and what is the difference with 4ws???
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 07 May 2004 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh no they wouldn't remove 4ws when they replace an engine, 4ws would probably run off sensors on your steering rack which would tell the rear wheels how much to turn. with 4ws the whole rear suspension strut setup would be different. 4ws of course deos exactly that, all 4 wheels steer to make it able to do tighter corners and would improve handling responce heaps.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 09 May 2004 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote} title=RobST162 wrote on Tue, 04 May 2004 23:58

noooooo....... I feel the good in you Stuart! Laughing I can sense the 165 heritage. I know there is good still in you.

I am worried about the forthcoming dyno day 9 temptation wiso Smile must..hold...on.. Very Happy

nah.. well when the day comes to say goodbye to my trusty steed.. if that happens, we'll see then.. but for now, the third side of the force calls...and strongly too..

"anti-rice-induction"

a long lost secret, hidden in the dark corners of the galaxy, and the secret to the Rob's strength

[/quote]

hehe - i gave you that power Smile The Anti Rice is strong , and enhanced in the grey one but its powers are used for good , not evil

Wiso - It will be curious how yours runs - in say comparison to the ST184 coupe ive been in with the Gen2 group A motor in it - That was HELLA fast in a straight line ..

And as for "Whos your daddy" - expect mine to be smacked down if any of the Gen3 Powered cars roll up - Ic ant match it with a st205 yet .. Emphasis on YET
Oh and quoting FWKW - Hmms - at a guess im estimating my Gt4 sits at around the 180+ FLYWKW mark .. ( its now stroked a teeny bit and cammed )

Ill see if they an dyno The new monster Motor on a stand before it goes in the car to get an accurate figure

[Updated on: Sun, 09 May 2004 02:40]

eski boy
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 09 May 2004 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Edwin, Where did you get those wheel arch flares for your celica ? They look cool. Are they from a early supra ?
dar_sbb
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 09 May 2004 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Edwin - spastic ride!!!!!!!!!!

Im in need of the beams 3sge!!!!!! ne help?!

peepz with a 3sgte.... how is traction and cornering speeds? would love to know
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 09 May 2004 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dar_sbb wrote on Sun, 09 May 2004 16:31

peepz with a 3sgte.... how is traction and cornering speeds? would love to know

Traction, what traction, you mean these things are suppose to have traction Rolling Eyes Confused kidding Laughing depends how many revs you give it at launch, I dropped the clutch at 2500rpm at dubbo and still managed to wheels spin half the track length.

cornering depends on what gear your in and how brave you are? you can pull boost through a corner and pull out quickly but it's still FWD.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 17 May 2004 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The squeak in the boot is usually just the latch thingo. Put some kind of hardcore (water sealing type?) tape around the U bit and it tends to shut up, until the tape starts to wear (electrical tape doesn't last long).
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 17 May 2004 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I noticed a few have asked about gearboxes a long time ago...

ST162 & SW20 has redline at 7300rpm, ST184 has redline at 6300rpm.

Final drive is different for each.

ST162 : 4.176
SW20 : 3.944
ST184 : 3.736

Ratios for the ST162 and ST184 are the same...the SW20 has a slightly different second gear.
So here's a little table for you...I'm assuming that effective rolling radius is approximately 92% of the actual radius of the wheel+tire (this means my results will be slightly out...but oh well)

Note : it would be impossible to rev these cars beyond their peak power in 4th and 5th gear, but this is just a vague guide

Speed at redline (km/h)                    |
ST Ratios  |  ST162   |  ST184   |   SW20    | SW Ratios |
1st 3.285 ||   54.4   |   53.1   |   58.8   ||     3.285 |
2nd 2.041 ||   87.5   |   85.4   |   98.5   ||     1.960 |
3rd 1.322 ||  135.2   |  131.9   |  146.1   ||     1.322 |
4th 1.028 ||  173.9   |  169.6   |  187.8   ||     1.028 |
5th 0.820 ||  218.0   |  212.5   |  235.5   ||     0.820 |

[Updated on: Mon, 17 May 2004 06:07]

Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 17 May 2004 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea second gear is great in the SW20 box.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 17 May 2004 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It would work very well on the 3S-GTE conversions, and maybe a bit better on standard ST162s, dunno - the change from 2nd (at the redline) would leave you after the peak torque of the gen 1 3S-GE...so you'd be better off changing at around about 6800-6900.

I'd have to whip out my calculator and a dyno sheet to figure the shift point perfectly.
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 17 May 2004 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it is wired cause i remember a number a verible thing that differ fromt he findings. First yes most of us would agree the redline on a st162 3S-GE, is 7300 but i read on the wheels artical in late 85 that it is 6800 where the red dashed lines start, but meh up to u, i did theo take it to 7300 alot and paid with no piston rings and valve seal = big end bearing 'kicking its bucket'.

Two, in my stock S-53 st162 box that i broke aobut 3 months back that 1st went to about 55-60km/h pushing the crap out of that 7300 redline. then 2nd abusuluity no more than 90km/h about 7300-7400. 3rd was right on 140km/h at 7300rpm and then 4th i never reved out just changed to 5th, but sure it was about 185-190km/h at 7300 and 5th based on the ratio's read in many other places is that 5th should pull 230km/h (no a number of people pulled this).

Ok sorry about the babaling on but the box i got froma wreaker is nice and tight, had st162 in the wreaker type pen paint on the box and bolted stright up. it has the same hort 1st gear. 2nd is much like Sw20 one and i can take to 100km/h at 7000-7200rpm. 3rd is amasing but shit up our testing hill cause it not in seet stop whne shifting from 2nd. 3rd goes to 160km/h right on redline. 4th is about same as old 5th and 5th is a nice and fuel friendly/ high way gear and does only 2600rpm at 110km/h.

so the only way this can be is from it being modified Very Happy before and me getting for a wreaker price or what model toyota is it from???

Nezza Cool

Also an update on the st185 swap, got the 3s-gte out of the cut with the loom still on it and the gt-4 box off it. i cleaned up the taper cover and the compresser cover a bit and painted the heat sheild black (just touched it up). Wednesday my mechanic comes back to get the s-53 box out and on the 3s-gte and figure out the starter problem, then then the 3s-ge engine out. and figure out all the shit i can borrow of the cut for me, and then the 3s-gte in my car, then i wire shit up Very Happy Sad, lol
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 17 May 2004 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've bounced my car off the redline and had no problems with the engine 'throwing a leg out of bed', I would imagine if it is done repeatedly it will start to kill the thing.

With all those numbers, remember that speedos can vary from car to car, and also they are only approximations because it's very hard to predict actual rolling radius of a tire...it depends on temperature, pressure etc.
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 17 May 2004 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yea thats y in nsw there is a 10% leeway, this lets mechanical errors be accounted for so they don't just book u. Unlike Vic as i think it is only 3kn/h not 10%.
dar_sbb
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 18 May 2004 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Correct me if im wrong, but didnt the oz delivered 1st gens come with the "3s gelc'?
and the import had cruise and climate control? like the white lightning?

Im running kings superlows with monroe gt inserts. But am gonna change to kyb's
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 18 May 2004 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah - 3S-GELC just means you have the california-complying emissions equipment on the car...afaik the Australian delivered ones ran a different compression ratio as well.
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 25 May 2004 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Just wondering what everyone has on the end of their exhausts?i reckon that stayin with the twin tips is quite cool as it suits the car, but recently ive become quite fond of cannons but dont know what one would be like on the 162's. Any ideas? Cheers fellas
Pages (63): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: '76 Corona MKII
Next Topic:Old photos
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 21:31:32 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.020879030227661 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.