Toymods » General Car Talk » ST162 dedicated thread

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 12 June 2005 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys , just bought karls GT2 it is awesome ! Very Happy drove it back from sydney to coffs and got bak a few hours ago, the car is pure gold, awesome power and ride comfort, I LOVE IT and would highly recomend 3sgte conversion to anyone, Karl has made this car into the ultimate st162 with balls and i commend him on this. not only has it the power ! but also sweet ass looks to match, the kit and front bar really set t of and turn it into one mean machine, lets just say i had many many looks from people on my way bak to coffs, ( looks of envy)
ill wrap this up by sayin Karls or warriors GT2 is the ultimate in St162 with balls and i take my hat of to him for his work and efforts on this car and can promise that it will be well looked after and well cared for as though it was my own very child,
cheers karl Very Happy your a top bloke

[Updated on: Sun, 12 June 2005 13:15]

Send a private message to this user    
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 13 June 2005 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good buy dude! Probably would smoke my GT4 off the line too (if said GT4 was going of course)!
GBC_069
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 13 June 2005 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that would have glided effortlessly up the coast i should imagine !!!! would have been a fun drive in that !!! lol !!!

>kcin<
pawel
Regular

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 13 June 2005 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Decided I had enough of electrical problems and other problems with this car will be for sale soon $1000 with 12 months rego.
Details up soon in trader.
Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 13 June 2005 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does anyone know how to remove the sunroof?

Is it an easy job?

Also, once exams are done, i am looking into making fiberglass moulds of the sunroof, just wondering if people would pay for a fiberglass (READ: UNRUSTABLE) sunroof? if so how many would be interested in such a thing.

Also if this does turn out, then i can also make fiberglass moulds of the st165 sidepanels so maybe a few more st165 front bumpers can make its way to ST162's all over the country!

-Matt
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 13 June 2005 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pawel wrote on Mon, 13 June 2005 13:33

Decided I had enough of electrical problems and other problems with this car will be for sale soon $1000 with 12 months rego.
Details up soon in trader.

your sellin my old car my baby for 1 k ??? Shocked
pawel
Regular

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 13 June 2005 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have not got the time to muck around with electrics on a car been through before with a commodore. When yoh drive this car over 60km in distance it sounds like a tractor idling.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 13 June 2005 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glad to see that I'm not the only one sick of dud ST162s.

pawel -> take my advice, ditch it now while you still can.

1 x engine rebuild, 1 x complete strip down of car and several x maintenance, repairs, dingles, parts replacement - $5500 purchase price and probably $6000 worth of work later and all I have is a piece of turd worth $1000 at most Very Happy

No offence to all those owners with GOOD ST162s, but when you buy a lemon one of these things, best to ditch it!
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 13 June 2005 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol well said rwd boy hahahah... its true but... but its either lemons or performance side of things they both suck the living fuck out of ur pocket. ive spent probly 2000 on things in the past 2 months.. and nothign looks any beter or goes faster haha.... take this for example... non geunine cam cover seal kit.... i was expecting maybe 40 bucks.... nooooooo $153.75 wat the fuck is that 153 for a bit of rubber... not even genuine
Rabsy86
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 13 June 2005 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A u serious pawel.. Jorrs sold yah a clean car... Man u want thousand bucks for it know... Bro you payed 5 grand for it... Best advice to you mate... Fix it man.. If u sell it for a grand you lost heaps of money.. Well thats my advice
mithy
Regular

April 2005

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 13 June 2005 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I almost considerin buyin it for $1k, flying my ass over there, fixing it, then sellin it again.. should return a profit and pay for my flight etc... Razz
mithy
Regular

April 2005

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 13 June 2005 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
actually, i had another look
pawel, if you're serious
then i would *honestly* fly over there and drive the thing back to perth =P
mithy
Regular

April 2005

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 13 June 2005 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its a 4000km trip... that's roughly 400L of fuel = about $400
plus i'd expect to be doing average 80km/h over the trip
so it's 50hrs of drivin... i could do that in 5 days easy
airfare ticket (one-way) is $230.
i dont need accomodation, can just sleep in the car for 5days - its got a big enuf boot Razz
so, food and stuff, maybe another $50 a day? so.. $250
that's like.. $900
plus the car.. for $1k.. is $1.9k to get it here

hrmm.. that's fkn cheap =P
as for the electrical problem.. hrmm.. if it idles like a tractor, it still drives right? LOL
mithy
Regular

April 2005

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 13 June 2005 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or if freight is less, i could just do that Razz

-- but this is only if pawel is serious about selling
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 13 June 2005 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chasing down electrical gremlins can be a serious pain in the ass - my ST162 is pretty good in that regard, except the connector for all the steering column wiring sometimes needs jiggling to get the rear windscreen wipers to work Very Happy

It's just that when you get little things going wrong - you have to wonder about whether one day, one of those little things is going to cause big problems in the hip-pocket area. When I bought my car, the only problem was it blew a bit of blue smoke - I put new rings in and got the valve stem seals replaced and it was much better...but as you can guess, I've had *many* non-related problems since which have caused me to lose mucho moolah - and now it looks like the crank needs regrinding, new big end bearings and possible re-sizing of rods.

If nothing else though, I have learnt a heap about working on cars and how to do lots of crazy stuff like removing power steering pumps and doing timing belt services whilst working in the mud with very dodgy methods of jacking the car up hehehe
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 13 June 2005 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah man, I reckon if i didn't have that accident last year and sunk a lot of money into fixing it I would've sold the car by now. I think in total I've spent about $5500 (excluding the accident repairs) on a car that initially cost $4000?? Ah well, atleast now its 'almost' like a new. Like you say, it's all one big learning experience!
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 13 June 2005 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meh on my last celica i payed 5 for it and put 8.5k into it
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 14 June 2005 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah and look what it's been deemed to be worth now Wink
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 14 June 2005 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
about as much as yours..... ? Wink
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 14 June 2005 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive spent about 8 and i rekon i could get 6500 to 8000.. dependin on how long i wait lol and how stupid ppl r
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 14 June 2005 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i brought my car about 3yrs ago for $2900.and since have spend a further $9k i'd guess.Its all good, Very Happy i've learnt heaps and no regrets!

i definately agree though, there are some lemons out there..
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 14 June 2005 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i got a few regrets Very Happy Bad decisions, inexperience etc etc.

Alot older and wiser now though - definitely learnt a shitload from doing a few engines rebuilds (Pinto, EA82T, 3SGE etc). Luckily only one of those rebuilds cost me directly! Pity it was my first one and it looks like I didn't do the job perfectly Sad
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 15 June 2005 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u paid 153 for that rubber seal...LMAO

I paid 55-65 not sure but for the inner and outer cam cover seal and the dizzy shaft oil seal (o-ring) that for toyota genuine stuff... u got screwed!!!!!
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 16 June 2005 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no neil i did not buy it... as if id pay 150 for a bit of rubber.. id fuckin silicon it b4 i paid 150 bucks for a bit of rubber.. so i just let it leak lol i love the sweet aroma of burning oil dont we all
doobs
Regular

September 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 16 June 2005 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ey all,

I'm in dire need of the air intake hose, the one that goes from the throttle body to the airflow meter. Any one with a good one please pm me.

Also I have a 15000k panel filter I want to sell, so make me an offer if you want.

Anyone built a box for thier pod filter? I was thinking of putting my battery in the boot and making a nice sheilded box for the pod.

Cheers
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 17 June 2005 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah those air intake hoses are annoying ey Very Happy Mine was split in two when I bought the car and was held together with duct tape (which didn't last long - hello screwy idle!).

Just grab some ful-sik'n'hectik silicone hose hehehe
doobs
Regular

September 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 17 June 2005 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What should I do with the hose that goes in the bottom of the intake pipe if i get a new one?
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 17 June 2005 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pull the metal bit that holds the two hoses together out of the old hose, pop a slightly smaller hole in your replacment one then push them together. I cant remember exactly, but I think that hose carries fuel vapour through it or something?
sleeker162
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 18 June 2005 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey thought id let u know, my car is all better now, its completely on the road and goes hard thanks to the 3sgte
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 18 June 2005 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wat car do u drive ?
jarrad
Regular

May 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 18 June 2005 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
he drives a GT2
sleeker162
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 18 June 2005 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah givin that my name is "sleeker162" and this thread is the st162 dedicated thread and the fact that i mentioned it had a 3sgte, ..... kinda goes without saying Rolling Eyes
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 19 June 2005 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
powerr....... ohh tops celica cruise last nite ey jesse lol me u and old m8...
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 19 June 2005 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so what ended up being wrong with box?
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 19 June 2005 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
StuC wrote on Sun, 19 June 2005 18:16

so what ended up being wrong with box?

yeah, good question. i wouldn't mind knowing too Very Happy
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 19 June 2005 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont think he knows he got the box with the car he bought and the engine didnt run in it so it was probly rooted from day 1.. but the car performs well now... time to go show a few rwds... fwd own the hiway ... on private roads of course
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 19 June 2005 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
of course, private roads
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 19 June 2005 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys.

my brother in law stumbled across this while on a job site and i picked it up for $1200. Very Happy will keep me going until i find the next project.

its an 1989 model SX, 5 speed, roof, cruise control, 1 owner since new, low kms, paint is faded, needs an exhaust manifold, tyres, has a power steering oil leak, engine seems ok, dash was absolutely stuffed and ripped apart by theives. no keys and unregistered. amongst other things which i cant remember, luckily i have all the stuff to fix it up. Very Happy took me all weekend, what a mess. no mods planned for this one, just need some wheels.

anyway heres some before and after shots.

exterior before

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v293/warrior007/b4.jpg

exterior after

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v293/warrior007/afta.jpg

interior before:

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v293/warrior007/intbefore.jpg

interior after

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v293/warrior007/intafter.jpg

Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 19 June 2005 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sleeker162 wrote on Sun, 19 June 2005 01:54

yeah givin that my name is "sleeker162" and this thread is the st162 dedicated thread and the fact that i mentioned it had a 3sgte, ..... kinda goes without saying Rolling Eyes

yeh i also picked up on that, i was more lookin for pics and specs Wink
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 20 June 2005 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Karl WOOT! what a transformation! Smile
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 20 June 2005 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I've found a buyer for my ST162, yay! Finally one less Celica to curse and swear about hehehe

warrior -> looks like the best $1200 Celica SX I've ever seen Very Happy

And I guess I can't post in this thread anymore guys - it was fun while I had it - I have many happy memories of driving that car (although one thing I didn't get to check off of my list was scoring a chick in the ST162, but they are pretty cramped anyway). Now I must go find a new job to clear up the massive amounts of debt I have accrued from owning perhaps one of the few ST162s in the country that could be classified as ghey wiv teh massif aids.
mithy
Regular

April 2005

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 20 June 2005 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice job on the new car there Wink hell of a clean up!

in other news, guys, i just went down to pedders suspension for a quote for some stuff.
Here's the jist:
front and rear lowered springs ($82*4=$328)
front and rear gas shocks (2*129+2*227=$712)
urethane brushes on front sway bar ($17)
installed, with wheel alignment ($295)
total: $1352

me: O_O wtfff how much do they wanna rip me off man.
sleeker162
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 20 June 2005 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude goto fulcrum
CLEEKA
Regular

April 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 20 June 2005 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys,

im gonna put my lowered springs back in the front.

1)how hard is it to change springs in the front?do i have to take it all out the top?

2) has ne body got pictures of the front guards lipped? have u done only the front or rear as well?

thanks,

[Updated on: Mon, 20 June 2005 10:35]

smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 20 June 2005 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Karl - that's shit hot man, I can't believe you had all those interior parts!

Mithy - I lowered my car for about $700 using King Springs and KYB shocks. Pedders are (generally) scammers and will try to rip you off with their 'custom' shocks and 'heavy duty' springs. Shop around a bit more before you commit to anything. I think it was discussed previously in this thread? Razz
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 20 June 2005 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and changing the springs is easy as.. just get a compressor..

I can do the car in 3-4 hours.. so say 2 hours max for the front? I am slow too.. Smile
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 21 June 2005 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey has anyone tried to do a HID conversion on their st162? i'm thinking of doing one cause i maybe able to get one for really cheap, i know they have H4 same as our, but are they compatible? or will they have issues.
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 21 June 2005 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just got defected Crying or Very Sad zorst, 200 bucks
idiot didnt notice that the car was meant to be non turbo but, he chased me through shoppin center in undercover car, i parked it and tried walk away but he got me. said i was lucky didnt get eevading police
sleeker162
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 21 June 2005 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 21 June 2005 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
havent you learnt yet???? running from cops make you look worse!! be nice and answer his questions properly and you wont get defected..trust me..i know Wink

My Microtech is sitting pretty on my desk!!! tuner is expecting 100fwkw easy *yey*
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 21 June 2005 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah trust me this cop has taken 6 of my points himself and lots of money, hes a prick plain and simple, moved from coffs to sydney then bak to coffs cos people in sydney gave him death threats cos of being defected by him,
i had a chance if i could get away and hide the car
lol
but he cut me of, oh well im just glad he didnt notice its meant to be non turbo
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 21 June 2005 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how could you be evading police if it was unkamarked?how were you to know yoiu just werent being chased by some craxy person.You shoulda acted all scared and said that you're going to an ombudsman for harassment and that you feared for your life!!!!!!!

Sucks bout the fine tho
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 21 June 2005 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmmmmmmmm well exactly if he had given that to me, i would taken it to court. yeh hes an areshole, was pretty funny but i also told him " dont u have anythin better to do then defect P platers " and that the reason i was tryin to get away from him was because i didnt want him to defect me 4 anythin
lol
also found out to make the zorst legal i gotta get it engineered, which i could do it, but that i gotta travel down to penrith and get an EPA test on it as well Confused so yeh ill just put a small zorst on it.
Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 21 June 2005 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Advancing the timing?

As many may or may not know, im running a gen 2 3sge with gen 1 manifolds, i always run on 98 RON bp ultimate. I now want to look into advancing the timing for some efficiency gainz Very Happy

For those who have done it before... how do i do it? how much should i advance it?

I am gettin my exhuast sorted out soon and will the timing needed to be changed... i am thinkin not...

but fill me in with details.... do i need to adjust my idle as well?
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 21 June 2005 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get a timing gun, earth or short the te1 and e1 terminal in the diagnosis connector.loosen off the 2 disi bolts, hook up timing light and shine down at lower cam pulley (timing pulley)

Rotate disi slightly(towards rear of car i think for advancing) and watch with awe as your timing will increase.If you're running 98 ron i think about 15-16 BTDC will be about as far as you can go.

Hope this helps
jhalmers
Regular

July 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 21 June 2005 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey I just bought a 86 celica sx with sunroof and all the works. I got it for 4000 cash. I'll post pics but the interesting things is with the sports exhaust its not loud until you breach about 4000 rpm or more. I'll have a look at the brand and get back to you. Also where do you get front bars for these.
sleeker162
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 21 June 2005 18:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
probably not the zorst your hearing , more likely to be the induction
djcougar
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 22 June 2005 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jhalmers wrote on Tue, 21 June 2005 20:43

hey I just bought a 86 celica sx with sunroof and all the works. I got it for 4000 cash. I'll post pics but the interesting things is with the sports exhaust its not loud until you breach about 4000 rpm or more. I'll have a look at the brand and get back to you. Also where do you get front bars for these.

you can get front bar from ssv.

www.ssv.com.au, not cheap tho.
Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 22 June 2005 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
StuC wrote on Tue, 21 June 2005 15:45

Get a timing gun, earth or short the te1 and e1 terminal in the diagnosis connector.loosen off the 2 disi bolts, hook up timing light and shine down at lower cam pulley (timing pulley)

Rotate disi slightly(towards rear of car i think for advancing) and watch with awe as your timing will increase.If you're running 98 ron i think about 15-16 BTDC will be about as far as you can go.

Hope this helps

that helps heaps, i think i have found the diagnostic port, if not, can anyone tell me where it is. and when i find it, do i just put a paperclip between the 2 terminals labeled E1 and TE1 while the car is on or off? and when ive advanced the timing enough, i just tighten the dizzy back up and take the paperclip out while the car is still on? and close up and be fine?

thanks guys

berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 22 June 2005 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
its on the windscreen side of the paseenger side strut tower
Pages (63): [ «  <  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: '76 Corona MKII
Next Topic:Old photos
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 19:04:11 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.021615982055664 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.