Toymods » General Car Talk » ST162 dedicated thread

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 21 July 2004 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey fwdboy, doing the search would involve way too much effort Razz , besides that, i knew u guys would answer the ques, and in more detail. Very Happy so anyway thats good news for me about the calipers fitting! my exhaust is getting built tomorrow too. Smile

As for how far i plan to go with my gt2: i'm going to be happy once i can beat commo gen3's and xr8s' and the majority of "standardish" skylines and 200/180sx's, or until i stack-it real bad Razz, whatever comes 1st.

PAGE 12!

[Updated on: Wed, 21 July 2004 09:10]

Send a private message to this user    
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 21 July 2004 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well you have been warned about not using searches - but if old forum grognards have a spastic fit at you for asking a question that they've already answered 500 times, then it's not my fault Razz

as for the GT2 blowing everything off the line -> it may be able to, but not in the wet.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 21 July 2004 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah well thats cause your a knob haha Laughing Laughing read joking, joking Smile

No I dunno 200kw FWD not good combination Confused

I dunno what i am gonna do with it, I would like to sell it to a good home, someone who will take care of this icon (thats what it seems to be thesedays, not many ST162s are as well recognized as this one Rolling Eyes ) but only to someone who would take care of it, otherwise I keep it.... in a shed.... somewhere..... Rolling Eyes
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 22 July 2004 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As for wet weather... no chance. mate i'm gonna have to get sumone to hide my keys from me when its pissing down! Razz

hey wiso, can ur car beat gen3's or any imports?... just curious to what i should be expecting Smile

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 22 July 2004 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah - the number of times I've spun the fronts in the wet going around corners with the standard 3SGE just for fun is stupid - those things straight-line big time Very Happy A 3SGTE would do it in the dry as well - which is just plain evil Smile
SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 22 July 2004 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aust162 wrote on Thu, 22 July 2004 19:13

As for wet weather... no chance. mate i'm gonna have to get sumone to hide my keys from me when its pissing down! Razz

hey wiso, can ur car beat gen3's or any imports?... just curious to what i should be expecting Smile

Why the hell do you wanna go out when it's pissing down? You can't see properly, what you want is for it to have just pissed down and stopped raining and it's 3am with no one on the road, ahhh melbourne consistant with 4-5 lanes where ever you go. Damn you should come for a cruise with me once you've finished, and also I need someone to persist me into doing this conversion, yes you heard me Im have 2nd thoughts (very weak on my part).

I reckon should hold on to the wheel very tightly and also expect to have some dirty underware after the 1st time you hit boost.
Im going to say No to the wiso beating a gen3 (sorry man) but the gen3 is 4WD with more weight but also alot more power, where as wiso's is a nearly stock gen1 3sgte with traction problems (once again sorry man i couldn't resist). Im pretty sure you know the power figures for each gen. 3sgte Aust162 so you should have an idea. As for the import thing, I also say No because they were slightly more developed. 2c
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 22 July 2004 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gen3's aren't 4wd he is talking about Commy SS gen3 V8's Rolling Eyes Laughing and I don't beat them but come close to them only like a couple of car lengths behind them and that is on about 9psi boost, yeah as you guys are pointing out mine is only a gen1, but draza only got 1.8kw more than me and he had a gen2 Rolling Eyes and I had a crappy paper filter at the time Rolling Eyes after a while you can learn to control your traction problems, and get some decent launches happening. and yes with the imports I do come damn close (like neck and neck) with likes of stock 200sx's, stuff in that range, considering mine is almost stock aswell, cept for the lightweight flywheel. not too bad

So there Razz

So long as you don't obtain positive pressure (ie. boost) in the wet you have no troubles
SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 22 July 2004 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'VE BEEN SHUT DOWN AGAIN!!! Sad Whats with me and writing stupid stuff in this thread, I always seem to misunderstand everything everyone says, personally I reckon your all messing with me and I think the joke is over JK Laughing or maybe there's just not enough straight forward communication, OR!!! maybe I just cant deal with the pressures of being a/nother ST162 owner.
Thanks for pointing it out though wiso, but what the hell is a Commodore doing in this discussion thats where I got confused.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 23 July 2004 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you need to take your " anti stupid comment " pills Wink

hmms - Traction is your enemy with a Gt2 .. As the bys said - learning how to apply / feed it on will make it friendlier to drive ..

thats what i love about the Gt4 - She might be heavier and slower in some respects in a straight line but you have little to fear with traction .

Ill part this much - Straight line speed for quarter mile - Gt2 all the way.

Everything else - is Gt4 territory - the FWD wont be as stable or as condfident in all other departments .

Thats not critisizm - its an honest first hand experience talking
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 23 July 2004 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha - Sillycar don't worry 'bout it! Gen3 = V8 crap, 3rd Gen = 3rd gen 3sge/gte etc Smile

I like 4WD Razz My 2c, especially for going big sideways on dirt.

Found a cheap 3S-GE head today so I might grab it at build up that 5S-GE...when I'm done, anyone want it?!
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 23 July 2004 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sillycar88 the only reason I knew he was talking about commy v8s is if you read the first post on this page he says it, black and blue.

yeah classique71 agreed, as good as I have my 162 haldling she is still fwd and will alwasy suffer slightly from this problem. thats also partly the reason I have gone the mr2, I really don't care about straight line speed very much anymore, she is gonna excel on the corners especially with the suspension setup she has Evil or Very Mad it all comes back to that story about the hare and the tortise she may even be a match for you in the corners stu (edit: haha am I an idiot not likey, not with your franken 3sgte, depends how much turbo lag you have though Rolling Eyes Laughing ), just give me time to learn to drive her Evil or Very Mad

[Updated on: Fri, 23 July 2004 05:08]

Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 23 July 2004 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm building mine for quarter mile FWD times, if i can get my times to about 12 seconds will be happy. Then i'll rip out the engine and convert it to RWD, i may even stay with the ST162 body for this.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 23 July 2004 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good luck with that draza but methinks it'll be a massive headache!
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 23 July 2004 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it'll be about 5 years till i try and get it to RWD so who knows.
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 23 July 2004 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Wiso, you say you had a crappy paper filter... what have you got now? a metal one? coz i was thinking of getting a metal mesh one instead of whatever kinda standard pod filter i got now. I was wondering if the metal ones would actually be much better. Rolling Eyes
olihaub
Regular

July 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 23 July 2004 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just wondering if anybody on here has hooked up a nitro kick to a 3sge and wot were there results.
i was thinking that a possible 50hp sized shot might be worth a second glance. Very Happy
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 23 July 2004 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey draza and wiso, 3sgte_Man (Nezza) Who just did his swap.gen2 in his st162, dynoed at about 120-25kws from memory.why such the big difference between the figures?maybe becoz of a different dyno machine????

update; my exhaust got finished today. the first cat connected to the manifold ended up being hollowed out so that was ok.
3" built off the hollowed cat,to new hi flow cat under car, then 2.5" piping to rear muffler with a resonator. everything mild steel and mandrell bent! Smile
sleeker162
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 23 July 2004 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i recon a 50hp nos shot would go well on the 3sge, let it rip at the start of 3rd gear
olihaub
Regular

July 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 23 July 2004 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i recon 3rd would be good to.
i havent had the pleasure of owning and st162 ( the hunt is on now for my very own one) but im already planning wot i wanna do.
when i drove my friends one it have a fair wak of torque steer (nothing huge but u notice it)for the power it put out so i recon it would be a waste to let the notri come on in 1st or second.
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 23 July 2004 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Both mine and wiso's run too rich at DD9. We also were using Shoot out mode, so it could be different dyno mode or even the dyno operator. This is why only the figures at the official dyno days are used for records. And i use these figures to compare cars as its more relyable.

SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 23 July 2004 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Personally I reckon nitrous would be a silly idea for a stock 3sge, youd have to strengthen the internals first to make sure the engine will cope under extreme conditions, and after you finish spending money on all of that and the nitrous system, you probably would have been better doing a 3sgte conversion as it would last wayyyy longer, the GE would die after about 20-30 hits of nitrous and it wouldnt even be fun to drive on the street, it would be pointless (especially on a FWD) unless you were specifically doing it for 1/4 mile times.
On that subject, Draz I reckon youd get very close to the 12s, that black GT2 on fullboost ran a high 12 eventually (well from what Ive been told) but it was running consistant 13s when it was first built, with custom plenim, fm I/C, 3" exhuast, aftermarket comp. Personally I find drag sorta boring at times and trust me it costs sh#tloads just to achieve a 1sec difference, but I havent ran at the strip yet so I cant say too much regarding the thrill people get.
*Classique hands over some of those pills before I say something stupid*
Yeah the idea of making the ST162 RWD has crossed my mind too many times, I reckon it would make an excellent drift machine, but for some reason I dont think it's possible, UNLESS, you have plenty of $$$ and wanna somehow customise the chassis/body.

On a bad note, there's a slight possibilty I might not do the conversion (already hitting myself), wiso's heard plenty on this topic, but there is also a good chance I might so don't lose faith people. Ill keep you posted
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 23 July 2004 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
still a crappy paper filter, I got it from god knows where Dyno tune ones I think, pretty damn restrictive, I have a K&N one at home in the garage clogged with dirt, and a cleaning kit sitting next to it, I have just been lazy and forgot Smile

Thats cause he was running like 12psi boost for that, draza was running stock boost like 7psi and I was running 9psi through a gearbox that was double the size, thats a good reason.

If you really wanted to make an ST162 rear wheel drive only the best way to do it is get an ST165 shell, make some custom engine mounts and north south your engine, have any of you guys seen Justen's ST185 with 1UZ twin turbo, read wheel drive only, or as most like to call it UZ185.

Yeah drag is boring an pointless, give me track work or rally anyday.
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 23 July 2004 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i call it a GT8, well its got 8 cylinders.

But me doing mods like making mine RWD is way down the track, who knows i might blow the engine to pieces by then and just start again with a 2jz supra.

I was just wondering how many GT2's there are out there, completed or being converted? say which. I'm curious. Also say when u started doing the conversion.

[Updated on: Fri, 23 July 2004 23:58]

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 24 July 2004 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would imagine it'd be a bit of a squeeze in the engine bay of a '162 to get the engine running N-S, especially given the engine mounting layout of a 3S-GE....putting in an already rear-wheel drive engine would be alot easier. Are there any reardrive 3SGE cars out there?
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 24 July 2004 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(as in front engine (NS) rear wheel drive)
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 24 July 2004 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there are ae86's with 3sgte's, does that count?

draza my gt2 conversion started on the 29th June and is still going... Rolling Eyes (was told 1-2weeks tops), i cant wait any longer. man i miss my car Crying or Very Sad
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 24 July 2004 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! hehehe

My Gt4 3sgte replacement has taken 5 months ( and its a bolt in swap! )!!!

get used to waiting - 3sgte's are cursed with long waits, especially when spanners are around them Wink

SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 24 July 2004 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aust162 is someone actually doing the conversion for you!!! If so who, and also if so thats pretty lazy on your part (sorry but Id get personal satisfaction doing it myself)

Anyway Im probably looking at a 180SX tommorrow, *everyone looks at me in disgust* ohhh well its just for reference, I might also look at a 88 Supra GT. I dont have the cash but if its worth it and in good nick, I might get it, then I'll have 2 cars, not bad.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 24 July 2004 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Sat, 24 July 2004 18:34

get used to waiting - 3sgte's are cursed with long waits, especially when spanners are around them Wink

Ohh trust me I know that one,

took me 2 months to do my gt2 convo, started begining August 2003 finished end Septermber 2003, and since have had the engine out twice, I think I have pro'd it now I can take the 3sgte out of my car in about 3-4hrs, same for back in.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 24 July 2004 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think it's pretty common for people not to oversee their own conversions...it takes alot of equipment and effort etc etc.

Having said that, I'm stupid enough to attempt it - picked up another ST162 head today - just thinking about the 5SGE TA23 .... mmm 4/5th gen power in early 'leaka.
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 24 July 2004 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SillyCar88 wrote on Sat, 24 July 2004 22:38

Aust162 is someone actually doing the conversion for you!!! If so who, and also if so thats pretty lazy on your part (sorry but Id get personal satisfaction doing it myself).

SILLYcar88, yes someone is doing the conversion for me...As for "Lazyness on my part", that has nothing to do with it,and for the record u dont know me, so u cant make that judgement.
An engine swap isn't as straight forward as u may be thinking, it requires access to special tools and equipment/space that i dont have. Also finding time to do it,(i work fulltime)
As for having the satisfaction of doing it myself, that would be good, but i'm no mechanic and this job is beyond me.
Personally from the dumb questions that you've been asking, we all know that u couldnt even get close to completing it yourself... Rolling Eyes

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 24 July 2004 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aust162 - you are going to need five times the jovialness to pull a statement like that last sentence off on an internet forum without getting 6 pages of pissing contest going.

Try adding some more emoticons like this Razz
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 24 July 2004 17:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDboy wrote on Sun, 25 July 2004 02:31

aust162 - you are going to need five times the jovialness to pull a statement like that last sentence off on an internet forum without getting 6 pages of pissing contest going.

Try adding some more emoticons like this Razz

i was only pointing out that from some of the stuff that he has said i dont think that he would be capiable of compleating a full engin conversion himself... Very Happy

SillyCar88 wrote on Mon, 19 July 2004 17:39

Ohhh nice, I'm pretty sure the GT4 option is going to be better than the SW20, probably less screwing around, I think, anyway my mate has a oxy welder so I should be right, just remove the pinion drive, lock the coupling, might need to change some suspension components and some other stuff concerning the shift levers. Im not 80% sure yet, but wiso's used the GT4 box and I'm sure he has some nice info Wink but he may not want to pass it on???

just one of the many examples... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Very Happy Laughing Razz
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 25 July 2004 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Meh - if I wanna dis someone I'll do it in PM rather than clutter a good thread with bollocks.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 25 July 2004 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nods to specialist tools - Im not doing my Engine swap here - simple because i dont have the space nor the tools to complete the task ..

Plus - after spending 5 grand on building a monster - whats abother few hundred to get someone else to put it in and get it running ..

I Do though plan to do something with another car soon Smile

It may involve that red supra you saw in the garage FWDboy

[Updated on: Sun, 25 July 2004 01:48]

dar_sbb
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 25 July 2004 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have rebuilt 2 motors and done 2 engine swaps... but only one was done on my daily driver... and i wont do it again. For the simple fact that its just to much of a hassle to do the job when u need the car... and for personal satisfaction is for people who cant do the job.

But after saying this the 3sge is coming out... for reco box, clutch and head job.. hehe.. but its all good... got another car to fang till its done.... AE82... 4AC!
SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 25 July 2004 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whoooaaa, I wasn't expecting that, dude I wasn't trying to be insulting (unlike yourself), but for the records you also don't know me, so your unaware of my capabilities.

YES I agree Ive said some stupid things, for F#ck sake I at least point out to everyone that I said something stupid. But some questions do need to be asked, shit I didn't design the bloody car so how the f#ck am I meant to know everything, thats why I ask Questions! because I know there is alot of helpful people on this forum (you know who you are) that even through my stupidity can answer these question so I can get a clear idea in my head how Im going to perform this conversion, you also don't know if Im getting help, or if I have a scrap book next to me at all times, and sit up late at night reading all the info I have, or even if I have helped others in their conversions. I know a conversion is hard but at least I have dedication to perform such a task instead of payin someone to do it for me, because I might not be able to throw around cash so easily and I also don't have the time and space but Im still having a dig at it.

Yeah I might of been a little out of line saying lazy, but sorry my friend, your comments were out of this world, judgemental and uncalled for, using my old quotes is unnecessary, by the way I really don't give a f#ck if you don't think I can do it as Im sure many people probably think I couldn't, i have nothing to prove to you.
Anyway Im not getting any further into this because Im agaisnt it, it happens all too often in this forum.
I agree FWDboy a PM would of been much better so no one would have to listen to this bullsh#t, but Im leaving this here to clear it up with everyone.
Thanks
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 25 July 2004 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah Classique71 a 3sgte in the Supra, I think you have ementioned that before.

Agree with FWDboy, you 2 have each had your say, now leave it at that.

HAHA Dar_sbb I was the same when I did my celica convo I had a 4ac ae82 to criuse around in, now while I get my MR2 on the road I have the celica.... go figure Laughing
SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 25 July 2004 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On a bad note: Im considering selling my 1st love, it has nothing to do with the pressures of the conversion, I've just realised that the st162 isn't what Im going to want in the future or actually ever dreamed of, it was just that it was my 1st car, the idea of a 3sgte was great and looked very promising, right up to the point of nearly buying one, but I think it's not meant to be. Anyway I can "talk da talk but I cant walk da walk" Crying or Very Sad Im more ashamed of myself than any of you.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 25 July 2004 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sell the 162 down the track - re invest - get a Gt4 - and go silly Smile

everythings factory fotted - just build on what you have Smile
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 25 July 2004 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any idea what you could possibly get that is better than an ST162 Razz
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 25 July 2004 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh yeah Sillycar88 - you need to see someone about your self-depreciation Smile
SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 25 July 2004 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing Ohhhhh finally someone's noticed
Nah dude I'm all good, seriously, I just get hard on myself, you would too, it's like running a long race and then just giving up but kinda different, well actually not even close anyway you get what Im trying to say.

Yeah a GT4 would be cool, but thats still not what I want, I've always loved the MA70 but couldn't find/buy one when 1st looking for a car, and as most of you may have noticed I'm very involved in drifting, and you may also notice that a FWD is not ideal, and Ive also really liked the 180SX (Yeah every man and his dog). My initial idea was to eventually own all 3 cars, but thats kinda unrealistic.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 25 July 2004 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trueno !

be teh Driftorz Envy Wink
SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 25 July 2004 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah thought about that, but I wouldn't want the Ozzie spec one, anyway its not quite to my tastes, I think the 180s look damn sexy if done right, and I know as this is a Toyota Forum that everyone is going to be biased in a way.
But yeah the st162 is a 1st car and I shouldnt take it too seriously, it's a great car and had great plans, if only the celi was RWD it would be mad and id keep it.
dar_sbb
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 26 July 2004 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SillyCar88 - SW20 MR2 Turbo!!!!!!
and y are they so damn expensive?!?!?!?!? Im currently saving to get a new car... and this was number 1 on my list till i saw the price!

BTW, SillyCar88, did u go to the HPI drift nationals at calder at the start of the year?

[Updated on: Mon, 26 July 2004 00:28]

wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 26 July 2004 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR2's SW20 or AW11 don't drift that well, with all the weight in the rear the create more of a pendulem effect where you can't snap it back, plus it also comes down to they have an incredibly short wheelbase, not good for swining the back around.
SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 26 July 2004 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spot on wiso, the mr2 didn't even come to my mind anyway, plus they're a pain in the arse to get parts or even to fix, its so cramped in the e/bay.

Yeah I was there it was actually organised by FullLock, my mate won the Amatuar class in his 180.
I bought a Option DVD today, I got home and I can't even play the damn thing due to regional restrictions. Mad
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 26 July 2004 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SillyCar88 wrote on Mon, 26 July 2004 17:27

its so cramped in the e/bay.

Should be at home then owning a 162 and all Very Happy
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 27 July 2004 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The MR2s front/rear weight distribution in a 1990 MR2 isn't that bad, it's about 45/55 - what is more of a problem (at least in regards to drifting) is the polar momentum, or lack of it. That's why they are so 'snappy' it just takes different technique...although you still won't get as good drifts, you will definitely get high speed cornering.

[Updated on: Tue, 27 July 2004 00:58]

olihaub
Regular

July 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 27 July 2004 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If your not the most experienced of drivers and are really just a hero at heart i would NOT recommend trying to drift a mid engine car, cos your only asking for pain.
Ive seen 3 people try to drift MR2s (all sw20 turbos)
and it was on the same section of road (the round about outside dural maccas if you know it).

1st time the guy boosted and kicked the rear end only to have it snap back on him and spin around and did a 180. Laughing Embarassed Laughing

2nd time another mr2 the guy boosted it up did some sort of weird thing (combination axle tramp under steer and over steer it was wierd), and hoped/slid into the gutter FUCKING the car up hard core. Shocked Sad Shocked

3rd time same spot another mr2 managed to hold it out for a bit had as much smoke as a ciggarett then gripped and hooned of down the road in shame as he tried to make up for lack of sideways action with his impressive pick up and go-go. basically the third guy was the only guy to hold it, and it was about as thrilling as grandma having just done a screachy in the parking lot in her old falcondorre 1965 ltd 3 speed auto piece of shit u get my meaning. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

how ever if your not a hero and actually have some skill there awsome cars for high speed cornering. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

just my opinion anyways feel free to yell your your different opinions if you think im wrong. Very Happy

[Updated on: Tue, 27 July 2004 13:42]

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 27 July 2004 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll save my mid-engine driving opinions for the 'Mid-engine driving dedicated thread' from now on Smile
olihaub
Regular

July 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 28 July 2004 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey fwdboy hope u didnt think i wasnt having a go at u.
was just saying wot ive seen. Nod
SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 28 July 2004 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hope it wasn't at me either, because I don't want a MR2 and frankly never did, I'm definately switching teams and going the 180, nothing against Toyota, just doing it because it's my choice and prefer the 180 to any of Toyota's (and Nissan's for that fact) range of drift platforms. I don't wanna be a hero, there's too much publicity. If you get my drift (pardon the pun) Very Happy
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 28 July 2004 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i got 122.2 fw fw with a dyno dynamics dynoi using shot out mode 2004, about 23 degrees and low humidity, running rich as fuckas well and i hit 12psi but thenit went back down cause the factroy turbo vsv was still on and that 122.2kw is at 10psi, i got top gun lead kit, NGk iridium's and a K&n pod down past the clutch salve cylinder.

ATM it running about 14psi, but dies down to 12psi od, my boost gauge shows 2 psi more and i'm counting for that, and the dyno boost figure is true cause it was taped into the dyno computer and ploted against the power garph.

Nezza Cool

3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 28 July 2004 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
al so i dewed up this VS Cluby and he throught he was the shit i went next to him at 70km/h and dumped 3rd and he dumped it and i pulled 2 lengths on him instantly and he stoped, he stoped giving me the finger didn't he!

Nezza Cool
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 29 July 2004 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha - good work!

Nah I don't think you were having a go at me olihaub...I'm still trying to avoid thread cluttering Smile (of course, I keep cluttering the thread with comments about not cluttering it...*sigh*)

As for the 180SX thing, I can understand that if you are only interested in drift-type stuff, nissan have made many more recent front engine rear-wheel drive cars than toyota have so it's only natural that that's where you'd go to.
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 29 July 2004 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys

Well i've got the SAFC installed, but i've found out something, with crappy racing pedals i only got 60% throttle use, and when i took them off, it went to 100%, now tell me this, you reack this would of dis-advantaged me on dyno day?????
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 29 July 2004 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ummm yes man that would of done a shit load to make u lose power,a nd all so i would of throught u notise that the first tiem withthe pedals u didn't have full throttle!!1

Nezza Cool
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 29 July 2004 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
yeah, i would of thought so too, but its kinda hard to tell really, you think your got 100% throttle cause you got your foot all the way down, but cause of the bolts i didn't realise that i had more room for extra throttle...theres something too look into racing pedal owners..lucky the SAFC cleared things up for me.
Pages (63): [ «  <  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: '76 Corona MKII
Next Topic:Old photos
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 10:51:05 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01850700378418 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.