Toymods » General Car Talk » ST162 dedicated thread

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 26 August 2004 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry Draza can't help ya there mate! Sad

Celica Spares dude probably won't separate either ay.. well you can only try. That's all I can think of anyway

Here is my baby at the moment.. I miss driving her

http://img54.exs.cx/img54/7373/DSC04706.jpg

http://img54.exs.cx/img54/4754/DSC04707.jpg

and draza.. you don't want to know what box it is Wink
  Send a private message to this user    
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 26 August 2004 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
would it be the beams vvti box, with the 6kg fly?
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 26 August 2004 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smart ass

how did you know? Smile
Farmsci ST162
Regular

August 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 26 August 2004 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So what does a gen2 look like in an st162 engine bay?

http://www.hotbutteredsteve.com/images/engineinbay .jpg
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 26 August 2004 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob,

you posted it in the lightening ur fly thred, i wanted to know how it was going. Now i want to see it once its done.

hehe.
dar_sbb
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 27 August 2004 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i might be getting a box from a camry ('94) and its meant to fit the 3sge... except the starter motor plate has to be modified... is this right?

Thanks

daz
Farmsci ST162
Regular

August 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 28 August 2004 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can anyone tell me how long the st162 accellerator cable is? cos i need one 10 cm longer

cheers
Steve
doobs
Regular

September 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 28 August 2004 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ey all,

Can anyone tell me what a park brake cable costs to replace? I parked the car today and lifted up the park brake, it was followed by a loud bang, then the park brake became very loose.

I hope its nor to expencive Sad

thanx
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 28 August 2004 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dar_sbb yeah the plate will need to be modified, you could probably just rivit a peice of sheet over the old hole

people don't worry about the cable for farmsci I have on in the garage
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 29 August 2004 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rob, did you actually get one of the st202 boxes? I hear they're lsd? anyway,

How many of you guys out there have replaced your front or rear swaybars/antirollbars which ever you like to call them.

Just looking into the subject I know whiteline make one for around $210 are there any other options I should look into?

Oh and I got bored today and took off my mud flaps to see what it looks like, think I might keep them off.

And latest addition to my car, Golf Clubs. Very Happy A new permanent feature. Smile

edit: doobs, why do you need one that's 10cm longer? and i'm not sure of the length of the cable sorry I can't help

[Updated on: Sun, 29 August 2004 08:48]

Farmsci ST162
Regular

August 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 29 August 2004 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think you got our two posts mixed up, doobs needs a handbrake cable and i need an accellerator cable 10cm longer than standard.

doobs broke his handbrake cable and i need a longer accelerator cable cos the throttle body on a gen 2 3s-ge is closer to the front of the car.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 29 August 2004 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charliechalk I have replaced my rear sway bar, I went whitline, but mine only costed $175, brand new Razz

[Updated on: Sun, 29 August 2004 10:30]

StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 29 August 2004 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks sweet in there farmsci!how the hell did u get it that clean?Have u had a crack at wiring it up yet?if so, was that a bitch? keep us updated

charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 29 August 2004 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha yeah I did.. oops, sorry bout that but wouldn't you still have your old cable?

and wiso i checked the current prices list and for a front it's 207.70 or something like that didn't look at rears because that's not where i would like less roll Smile
Farmsci ST162
Regular

August 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 30 August 2004 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ill have to get another picture, its looking even better now! havent gotten into the wiring yet, still got a few issues to work out on top of all that too, need a smaller front mounted thermo fan, a couple of vacuum hoses to work out, gotta mount the airbox on a different angle to get it to line up with the new throttle body, longer throttle cable, custom exhast from extractors back to the cat, and yes on top of that wiring. Although im starting to make sense of some of the wiring now and its feeling less daunting. ill keep yas up to date as i cross each bridge.

Fixed the dizzy Rob? howd it go?

Steve
matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 30 August 2004 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Steve, from the pic it looks like it is coming along very nicely!

Hope the rest of the swap goes OK (sounds like most of those issues you mentioned are fairly minor) and thanks for keeping us updated. I take it you got the redrilled original flywheel back from the shop? Did the starter and everything fit together OK this time?

Looking forward to reading more as you progress thru it.

-Matt
Farmsci ST162
Regular

August 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 30 August 2004 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah the flywheel worked perfectly, the engineers got it all done overnight, picked it up the following day. although ill probably end up going back to the other flywheel further down the track when the mr2 turbo gearbox goes in Very Happy
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 30 August 2004 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys,
I got both the front and the rear Whiteline Swaybars, and I'm gonna have to say that the rear did sooo much more for the car's handling it was amazing. The fronts are a bit more expensive but the rears are around $175. Well worth it dudes if you wanna greatly improve ur handling.
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 30 August 2004 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.abbeysound.com.au/jnicol/1.jpg
http://www.abbeysound.com.au/jnicol/2.jpg

Just some pics of the IMSA GTO category st162 celica.
Farmsci ST162
Regular

August 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 30 August 2004 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MAD! Where do you reckon i can get that front bar!
Farmsci ST162
Regular

August 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 30 August 2004 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
here ya go a much nicer photo with almost everything back in the engine bay http://www.hotbutteredsteve.com/images/engineinbay .jpg
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 30 August 2004 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve thats actually not available front bar, you can get an Aerofrom bar that is a replica of that, although you would need to import one from america or europe.

Charliechalk yeah I have also replaced my front bar with a custom made whiteline one for $215. mind you those prices are well below cost, cause I have contacts in the right places. And I agree with a previous comment, the rear bar does sooo much more for handling than the front bar does
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 30 August 2004 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
doobs,
I replaced the handbrake cable in my falcon a year or so ago and it cost $38.50 if im not mistaken. More than i thought it was gonna be for a friggin steel cable but not incredibly expensive.
Good luck.
doobs
Regular

September 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 31 August 2004 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cycleofabuse wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 00:53

doobs,
I replaced the handbrake cable in my falcon a year or so ago and it cost $38.50 if im not mistaken. More than i thought it was gonna be for a friggin steel cable but not incredibly expensive.
Good luck.

cheers dude, went down and visited the toyota dealer yesterday, $45 for the part I need.
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 31 August 2004 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn i want a widebody 162!!!!!!!And farmsci that engine looks mighty fine there- any idea on how much a set of custom extractors is gonna cost u? keep us posted
drft spec - st167
Regular

November 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 31 August 2004 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my fuel pump has died,

what we looking at for price of a new one and do yuo have to remove the whole petrol tank?
Farmsci ST162
Regular

August 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 31 August 2004 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont need custom extractors, just a custom pipe from the end of the extractors to the cat cos the one i have fouls on the east west crossmember.
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 31 August 2004 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what extractors r u using?i have a set of gen1's but they wont fit it will they?i thought the stud pattern was different on the heads....or did ur cut come with some? that would be nice hey?...
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 31 August 2004 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I got both the front and the rear Whiteline Swaybars, and I'm gonna have to say that the rear did sooo much more for the car's handling it was amazing. The fronts are a bit more expensive but the rears are around $175. Well worth it dudes if you wanna greatly improve ur handling.

bro was that installed?
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 31 August 2004 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No way rob, thats the price for supply only, he would have done like me and installed himself, not that hard, just tricky. Wink

StuC they are not really extractors farmsci has, he just likes to call them that, they are the standard gen2 exhaust manifold, the do resemble extrators but are a bit more restitive in size, and where the pipes meet. Who told you gen1 extrators won't fit a gen2 engine, thats total bullshit, the studs are the same, they'll fit straight on, if you go to most exhaust places they have the same part listing for, 3sge, 5sfe, 3sfe. they would fit fine. if you still reckon they won't fit talk to all the people who put gen1 exhaust manifolds onto the gen2 3s when they swap it into their ST162's and you tell them they won't fit Laughing I'd like to see there response
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 31 August 2004 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool Joel thanks for that

hey guys I have an URGENT request. Can some trusty 4th gen owner go outside and have someone hold a ruler on the slave cylinder and someone else push the pedal and can you please tell me the length of the travel.

Thanks guys... my car still isn't going Sad
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 31 August 2004 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what do you need to know that for rob? the length of travel varies, it can go a lot further than when restricted by the selector fork.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 31 August 2004 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah this is true

just hoping someone might know for a stock celica what the travel was...???
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 31 August 2004 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well sory man I don't know if I can help cause I use the GT4 one and they seem to be a bit different.

Are you afraid yours is a bit worn out?
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 31 August 2004 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea wiso, ours is a bit different.

I went to the wrecker to get the bracket for the drivers seat. Some one was nice enough to have already removed the seat from the car and the seat from the bracket. So all i needed to do was pick it up and pay for it. This morning i have taken to it with an angle grinder in order to get just the bits i need.

hopefully by next meeting i will have my new seat installed.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 01 September 2004 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rob - how's the gal going?
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 01 September 2004 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Rob - how's the gal going?

hmmm

that's all I can say.. hmmmm

3sglevin suggested to me that I may have installed my clutch back to front... but upon phoning toyota, I discovered that I had done it correctly.

I am now worried that the St202 had a bigger MC.... I miss my baby
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 01 September 2004 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That would be my guess without further info. Anyone know the score on that one?
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 01 September 2004 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So they'll fit gen2 hey?what about gen3 - anyone know? I hear they have pretty big manifolds stock anyway.Keep us posted farmsci on the install

Cheers
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 02 September 2004 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Odd thing is that despite the exhaust manifolds having the same pattern, from my experience a 5S-FE or 3S-FE intake manifold won't bolt up to a 3S-GE head. Damn...creepy...Toyota engineers...using smack all the time.
Farmsci ST162
Regular

August 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 02 September 2004 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Latest update: new items on shopping list, it seems the gen 2 uses a map sensor instead of an air flow meter. so no more problems trying to mount the airbox on a different angle, but now it looks like ill be buying a map sensor and a pod filter.
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 03 September 2004 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are u sure about that?i thought only gen3 wa MAP. but then again i gues u are sure as it is sitting in front of u - Good luck with that then
Farmsci ST162
Regular

August 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 03 September 2004 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wouldnt have thought so either but i read the wiring diagrams and all the pinouts used for the AFM on the gen 1 instead go to the TPS, Air Temp Sensor and PIM (also called vacuum sensor, later discovered to be toyota speak for map sensor). then to clarify i loaded up a set of photos from my friends brothers sw20 engine bay and sure enough, no AFM!
matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 03 September 2004 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
These ST182 half cuts were in the For Sale forums a couple of weeks back. Looks like they don't have AFM's so Steve I'd say you're correct.

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=getfile&id=6058

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=getfile&id=6059

-Matt
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 03 September 2004 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Boys and .. uh.. boys..

Smile

it is ALIVE with some nice BEAMS addons now. We sorted the clutch issues after I took the box out last night.

The clutch plate was back-to-front... now before you laugh.. Smile I put it in as toyota themselves suggest, with the longer spline toward the g/box. As woud logic suggest also. However, this disc needed to be reversed for some strange reason, as when I removed the box last night the sprung area had actually just put some small scratches on the fly bolts, indicating it needed to be the other way.

It is also just touching my crossmember, so I will have to take that off and give it a whack to make some room

None the less, just took it for a spin and the box feels awesome. Nice pick up. I bet the BEAMS fly might have something to do with that too Wink

anyway, alls well that ends well

http://img48.exs.cx/img48/1479/bay1.jpg

note the relocation of the starter motor. Smile

Also I want to give special thanks to 3sglevin whos help I could not have done it without. Very patient and very helpful.

[Updated on: Fri, 03 September 2004 01:28]

Farmsci ST162
Regular

August 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 03 September 2004 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Excellent news, good to hear
matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 03 September 2004 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Rob, great to hear that you got it sorted!

Having the starter anywhere but directly under the exhaust manifold has GOT to be a good thing....glad Toyota made the change on that one.

Man, how many accessories have you got wired directly to your battery? lol Very Happy

-Matt
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 03 September 2004 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I shoulda reserved the right to laugh at you man. Big congrats though!!! You must have the sweetest 1st Gen 3S-GE ST162 in Australia by now.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 03 September 2004 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol

yeah yeah fellas.. there have been some headaches along the way

Steve, Steve and Matt, thanks heaps to both of you for ALL your help and MSN Brain-Straining

The box feels beautiful! Some dude in a prelude tried to impress me today. Like an 88 prelude or something. Needless to say I was not impressed. Wink

The yellow wires (fusible links) on the battery are replacing the fuses in the fuse box on the batt there, as it died inside and will be a pain to wire up a new one. So that will do for now.

The box is still rattling on the x-member though. Sad Does anyone have spare some of those thick washers that sit between the xmemebr and the radiator support and the xmember and the floor? I need to distance it a fraction from the box. I think the mounts will handle it ok.

oh, I nearly forgot, I also need a torque plate mounting bolt if anyone has one spare

you guys rule
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 03 September 2004 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well I am using my right to laugh Laughing

although man I do entirly feel for you cause there have been times when I have had the engine in and had to pull it out to do some minor thing, sometimes cause I didn't do it right first I put it in Mad so I know what it's like

where on the crossmember is the box hitting, it may be best to actually take to your crossmember with an oxy to heat and a hammer to bash, if its only touching on the corner that I think it will be, cause when I had to custom work my crossmember I found it fowld on this one raised point, thats all I did to remedy this. adding spacers may be bad (sure your bottom 2 mounts will be fine cause the whole engine will lower), but will add extra stress on the side mounts and cause them to wear quicker, plus then your suspension crossmember will no longer bolt on, and it wouldn't be wise to fit spacers under that one cause remember that one goes underneath the other crossmember. I have a couple of spare rubber spacers if you really need them though.

and I have seemingly had a brain blank, which torque plate....(what) I know dumb isn't it. Confused Surprised Embarassed
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 03 September 2004 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rob does the beams actually have an lsd in it? and it's a 5 speed right? ratios feel roughly the same?
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 03 September 2004 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it FEELS like an LSD but I am wondering what is the best way to test it.. any ideas?

I mean.. it is off a beams 3sge 1998 vvti etc etc so I highly doubt it is anything but. Torsen is my bet.

So how to test??

the other thing that actually has me a little confused is that the OLD gearbox didn't rattle on the xmember, yet the new one does, yet the castings are almost identical. (new box is heavier)

any ideas as to why that might be?
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 03 September 2004 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What torque plate are you talking about Rob? I'm no good with tech speak - try and use simple cuss words to describe it.

I'd be surprised if they stuck a Torsen LSD into the front there, it'd be a pretty tight squeeze...my bet is a viscous front diff. You could always just park your car with one wheel on some wet grass and see if you go anywhere when you accelerate. Alternatively...jack the front of the car up, turn a wheel and see if the other one goes in the other direction. If it doesn't, then you probably have some kind of clutch-type (again, unlikely) or viscous front lsd. Torsen diffs work when there is load and could easily act like an open diff when you do this simple test, so it's harder to find out.

If you are lucky there is some kind of identifying stamp on the gearbox somewhere Smile

Guys - am I even close to right here? It is 1:30am after all and I've been up since 6:30.
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 04 September 2004 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
congrats on getting it going Rob. I wanna laugh but I cant cause i did that once too. Confused
doobs
Regular

September 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 04 September 2004 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ey fellas,

My poor celica has once again got a problem, after just buying the hand brake cable, on the way home i noticed my speedo wasent working. Gave the dash a few thumps, still no go...

Took the dash apart thinking something may have fell off, nope looks fine in there. So it looks like its the cable or the gear in the gear box.

How can i test to work out what it is?

Also if any of you have the parts in this thread then im interested Very Happy
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=44496&start=0&rid=3541&S=4f67fbabd3c ee94389dd8761b9b55163

Cheers fellas.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 06 September 2004 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just take the cable out through the dash if you've already got that apart. It's reasonably easy to get to from underneath the car provided you get the east-west suspension x-member out and the north-south one of the way too Razz Just try and get your hand on top of the back of the gearbox and feel around. Once youdisconnected it from the gearbox it's just a matter of pulling it through, you'll probably discover that turning one end doesn't turn the other.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 06 September 2004 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
more than likely cable doobs

one way is to disconnect it at the gear box and chuck a drill on it, if the speedo doesn't move then the cable is broken, then you have to work out which half, split it at the join in the firewall, then test the 2 halfs like above independently. (of cousre the bottom you won't look on the speedo though, just ceck the other end Razz )

funny enough I have both those parts in the garage, wow, what are the odds.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 06 September 2004 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol hope that sorts you out doobs

hey guys my new gearbox has taller ratios! not sure if I am happy or not.

Can go WELL over 90 in 2nd! Shocked Probably stretch it out to 100 if I wanted. Old box was straining to do 80

So slightly slower acceleration I presume. Sad
doobs
Regular

September 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 06 September 2004 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanx for the help fellas, I will have a go at what you suggested on fri when she gets all the work done. if it is the cable, what will it cost?

Cheers
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 06 September 2004 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
I'm about to put some photos of my celica here, can someone tell me step by step as to how. I now it sounds stupid and rather dumb but i just expected it to kinda be like emails where you can add attachment sorta thing. Cheers
Pages (63): [ «  <  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: '76 Corona MKII
Next Topic:Old photos
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 05:31:41 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.019388914108276 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.