Toymods » General Car Talk » ST162 dedicated thread

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 06 September 2004 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your old box struggled to do 80? what the, was it a standard? because the book and from trying says 55 max in first and 92 max in 2nd (both at redline)

Just push it and see how far it goes rob Smile I'm sure you want to.

Also another good way to test the lsd wait till it's wet go round a corner and put your foot down a bit Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 06 September 2004 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.imageshack.us
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 06 September 2004 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Also another good way to test the lsd wait till it's wet go round a corner and put your foot down a bit

I have been "testing"the LSD this evening! woohoo

man it SO helps the handling.. instead of lots of nasty understeer the car just "pulls" back in to the line. Obviously it still understeers a little, but this is amazing

man it is nice.. I am so going to enjoy this..
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 06 September 2004 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, This will work a little funny coz i cant get the images to appear straight out. but here are pics of my car. hope you guys like it!! If you see it, gimme a yowl and say you're on the toymods forums Razz

http://www.imagestation.com/mypictures/inbox/view. html?id=4146143835&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.images tation.com%2Fpicture%2Fsraid138%2Fp239f3dee74232f3 cdca925da6f90481d%2Ff721225b.jpg&caption=IMG_1 651

http://www.imagestation.com/mypictures/inbox/view. html?id=4146143832&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.images tation.com%2Fpicture%2Fsraid138%2Fp4b28c11efe34427 f89dbcb9797d5f200%2Ff7212258.jpg&caption=IMG_1 653

http://www.imagestation.com/mypictures/inbox/view. html?id=4146143830&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.images tation.com%2Fpicture%2Fsraid138%2Fp8dc10773ab34e9a 44014c2fe3fcb93e7%2Ff7212256.jpg&caption=IMG_1 654
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 06 September 2004 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that looks really nice man.

clean and straight, yet sexy Wink

ever thought of removing the pin stripes or painting your lip + guards? That is what I did.. not saying you have to.. just wondering..
doobs
Regular

September 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 06 September 2004 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I highly recommend removing the pinstripes, i did it to mine, looks much better with out them. All you need is a hair dryer and about 30 mins.

Damn i want a front lip for my celica.
drft spec - st167
Regular

November 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 06 September 2004 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i made a sweet as parcel shelf on the weekend cause my old one was crap. carpeted some nice 6mm mdf with black felt and trd in red felt to match speakers and other things etc.

plus it makes my speakers sound way better.

how can i post a pic of this>>
drft spec - st167
Regular

November 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 06 September 2004 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WHO will host pic for me?
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 06 September 2004 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looking foward to seeing the new improved parcel shelf.

Nice car mate, don't know about that steering wheel but those other wheels look nice Smile

StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 07 September 2004 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like you're gonna be havin a whole heap more fun than usual Rob. nice lookin car mate and i do like that steering wheel.

Update on my car, ive pulled out the taillights n redone all of the gaskets as they were leaking. While im at it ive removed all of the interior and ive begun using VHT to turn it all black. Il get some pics up when its finished. My work is on hold atm as its raining. It sux arse

doobs
Regular

September 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 07 September 2004 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ey fellas

Im after the plasic cover on the gaudges, if you have a spair one please pm me Very Happy

Thanx guys.

Also have a look here to see if u have the other parts i want

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=44697&start=0&rid=3541&S=4f67fbabd3c ee94389dd8761b9b55163
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 07 September 2004 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if u were in syd i would say go to pick and pay less.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 07 September 2004 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
doobs haha I find it funny how you managed to overlook my last post where I said....

Quote:

funny enough I have both those parts in the garage, wow, what are the odds
doobs
Regular

September 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 07 September 2004 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ey wiso,

I read your post, just dident know if you were sellin em, I guess you are, pm me with that price u want for em.

Cheers dude
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 07 September 2004 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that also depends on how good of a condition you want the front lip in, mine was a bit scratched up and had black cable ties holding the sides onto it. Rolling Eyes well I kinda have no use for it as I now use the gt4 bar and with the ST165 ducting underneath the bumper that skirt won't go on Confused the other one I have I cut up and made it to fit my mr2, but that was shit aswell.
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 08 September 2004 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okay guys the work i did on my tailights has done the job but its leaking from somewhere else and i dont think its the boot seal - any other ideas where it could be coming fomr? I just pulled out all of the drain plugs n lost about 2 litres of water just from last night Sad

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Cheers
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 08 September 2004 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check where the antenna comes through the panel on the left side. I also sealed all the gaps between the sections of the lights cos water was getting through there too. Still haven't stopped the leaks mind you - i'm gonna attack it with a tube of silicone soon. Razz

Is it possible for the water to leak in through the wheel arches? I'm getting puddles in behind my rear quarter panels - took out the drain plugs because the water builds up in there so quickly.
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 08 September 2004 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drift spec 167 - I used that black automotive carpet you get from bunnings on my shelf. When I got it had felt on it, but it had faded to almost white! Didn't look like it had been in there too long either.
Captain_Jonno
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 08 September 2004 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Howdy kids Smile ive got a late 85' 5speed st162 with the 3sge motor.

Just wondering, when driving on flat terrain in 5th going 100km/h it revs at 3300rpm.. is the revs a bit high? if so, why dat? Smile

also, if i was to get my car dyno tuned would they work out how to get max kw's and to diagnose any problems it might have?

Thinking about going to the West Torrens Dyno Centre here in adelaide.

[Updated on: Wed, 08 September 2004 14:15]

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 08 September 2004 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Just wondering, when driving on flat terrain in 5th going 100km/h it revs at 3300rpm.. is the revs a bit high? if so, why dat?

that doesn't seem abnormal mate. I think mine used to do that with the old gbox.. or maybe 3300 at 110kph
Captain_Jonno
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 08 September 2004 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah kay cool. cos its over 3500rpm at 110kmh..
what gearbox u using now?
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 08 September 2004 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a BEAMS LSD baby...

it's nice.. but the ratios are taller
Captain_Jonno
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 08 September 2004 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha nice one champ Smile

ratios taller hey.. im finding that for any normal acceleration you really need to change gears at around 4000rpm otherwise its pretty sluggish.. and over 5000rpm to actually move resonably fast Razz is it save to be reving the engine at 5500rpm! im scared that one day im gonna hear a scary noise and she wont move no more Sad or are these engines meant to rev high?

like sure u can drive changing around 2500rpm, but its quite a slow take off, grandmas beat me Sad
Captain_Jonno
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 08 September 2004 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lastly Razz i think since getting a new straight through stainless steel exhaust from D&T performance, i have lost alot of backpressure.. cos i drove up a fairly steep hill (old belair road), and i dont have the acceleration that i used to.. sitting in 3rd, just managing to stay at 60km/h. and if i put my foot right down, it doesnt move any faster, just makes wierd noises from the engine.. like a slight grindy noise. hmm
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 08 September 2004 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heck man!

You got an SX don't you? Bro I regularly take mine to 6500. They are absolutely NO issues with high revvs, unless you have no idea how to change gears hehehe

Even 7k ain't an issue. Constantly shifting at 2500 is probably worse for your motor, as it puts unnecessary load on your box, especially in taller gears.

My first 5th gear got worn out by the previous owner cause he cruise around in 5th at like 60 all day... Sad

Edit: and your last post there... a new exhaust will help at top end again and allow it to rev freer.. don't be scared of the top end man. I can't say anything about your issues bro.. so many variables.. but if you think it is WORSE, well.. not sure what to say, haven't heard of a 162 owner having back pressure issues from a good exahust yet...

[Updated on: Wed, 08 September 2004 23:38]

Captain_Jonno
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 08 September 2004 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heh nah only use 5th over 80kmh Razz i usually change at 3000rpm-4000rpm, for daily driving. but often to move about or general fun over 5000rpm. just dont wanna hurt my baby anymore than 5500rpm heh
Captain_Jonno
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 08 September 2004 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh just moving around on flat and not too steep roads, seems better but just goin up a steep hill, mmm

Captain_Jonno
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 09 September 2004 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey u know how these things are supposed to have a 60l tank Wink i dont think i have ever managed to put more than 45 litres in when it looks like it would be almost totally empty. have u?? Razz
Captain_Jonno
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 09 September 2004 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
last comment Smile promise.

rob been lookin at ur site, very nice. just looking at ur dyno too and u got 79.6kw hey. looking around around the 80 mark seems normal but in the brocure it says that the 3s-ge has 103kw? where that 20kw go? age or whhhaaat
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 09 September 2004 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol np bro

I have put over 55litres in mine before. Trust me, they ARE 60l tanks. Wink

the 103kw in the brochure is at the flywheel, my figure is from the wheels. So I would guess I would be getting 117+kw ish at the fly?

Stock 162s are about 103@fly and 72@wheels
Captain_Jonno
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 09 September 2004 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah kay, nice one. me wonders what I have...
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 09 September 2004 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Revving it is no real problem...but of course, make sure your engine is in good nick before you go stupid, I'm guessing a few people here can vouch for spun bearings and the like, which can be manufacturing fault, or simply lack of oil or prolonged lack of clean oil (make sure you have good service history).

The windows' seals themselves can leak too (as is the case in my ST162).

ST165s have longer gearing...I think mine does 3000ish at 110km/h. Either that or the speedo sucks (also likely).
Captain_Jonno
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 09 September 2004 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah kay, yeh im pretty sure speedo and taco are fine.. i can hear it reving that high.. just seems a bit gay as im playing on driving to vic etc and driving at long distance at around 3800rpm seems a bit high... and noisy with my exhaust Razz
Captain_Jonno
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 09 September 2004 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just would have thought that 5th gear would be a bit longer, so revs would be around the 3000mark at 110kmh
Farmsci ST162
Regular

August 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 09 September 2004 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if youre concerned about fuel consumption the 3s-ge is pretty good on fuel on the highway despite the gearing. but i sympathise with you about the exhaust, i drove to sydney from canberra a couple of times with a 4" tip on the back and the 3300 rpm droning is really annoying!
Captain_Jonno
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 09 September 2004 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no worries then. ill just bring some ear muffs Smile

Do any of you guys bother with premium unleaded or would it just be a waste of money with these engines?
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 10 September 2004 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobST162 wrote on Thu, 09 September 2004 13:17

lol np bro

I have put over 55litres in mine before. Trust me, they ARE 60l tanks. Wink

the 103kw in the brochure is at the flywheel, my figure is from the wheels. So I would guess I would be getting 117+kw ish at the fly?

Stock 162s are about 103@fly and 72@wheels

This is a pretty newbie question. Embarassed But the owners before me threw a gen II 3sgte in my car. Would i still have a 60L tank? coz ive only ever put like 48 litres in it and it says its damn empty. (please don't roast me... hehehe)
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 10 September 2004 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
umm yeah you'd still have a 60L fuel tank, the only reason most of you have only put like 50l max is cause you are afraid to run it to low and run out of petrol, it would be stupid to change the fuel tank cause for one thing you would need a custom make (if you wanted to reduce the size Confused ), and that would be a waste of time and money.

Mind you you can never fill the full 60L, 58L is about teh most, because the pump doesn't sit right at the bottom of the tank, (so it doesn't get bombarded with shit) that gap equates to about 2L, trust me one time I ran my car so low it wouldn't start, and when I filled it up it took 57.? Liters usually I fill it about 50-55L each time I do it.
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 10 September 2004 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool,
I was pretty sure it was a really dumb question. I think my fuel gauge just underestimates how much fuel i have coz it will say its dead empty and i'll put maybe 47 litres in it and when its full it won't actually say its totally full.
Thanks dude.
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 10 September 2004 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
isnt it funny how these cars have just about everything except a low fuel light indicator...gay japs
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 10 September 2004 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cycleofabuse wrote on Fri, 10 September 2004 23:41

Cool,
I was pretty sure it was a really dumb question. I think my fuel gauge just underestimates how much fuel i have coz it will say its dead empty and i'll put maybe 47 litres in it and when its full it won't actually say its totally full.
Thanks dude.

My gauge does the same thing Confused it sits on empty for ages, then i go and fill up and i just squeeze 48litres in.

warrior wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 02:02

isnt it funny how these cars have just about everything except a low fuel light indicator...gay japs

i can't believe our cars don't have fuel lights too.its got everything but that. even my mate's shitty daewoo has a fuel light.And he bags me for not havin one! Mad Razz
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 10 September 2004 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey,
I dunno about you guys but i've got a series 2 st162 and i've got a low fuel light!!! Confused You are talking about the light that comes on when your tank is close to empty right??? The sign is often of a gas/petrol pump?? What the.....are you sure its not a blown globe behind the dash or something?
Also, I've ordered a new Oxygen sensor for my car. $280, and have to wait 14-20 working days for it to come from Japan. Argh, damn japanese import model, whatdya guys reckon? second handy or what?
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 10 September 2004 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ur car must be an import cause the aus delivered didnt have that low fuel light....as for the o2 sensor WTF $280
i think i have 1 in the garage u can have for much cheaper

[Updated on: Fri, 10 September 2004 23:02]

Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 10 September 2004 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you think $280 for an O2 sensor is a bit high, try $360 for the power window master switch. Or $340 for a Knock sensor. Dam jap parts are expensive.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 11 September 2004 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I have a low fuel light... maybe the series 2 ones do!

Mate do NOT buy a genuine o2 sensor.. aftermarket ones should cost you less than $100 bux.. stick a thread up in parts wanted
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 11 September 2004 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe it's a jap-import thing, or maybe a year made thing? My '86 ST162 has no fuel light (well none that has ever come on) but my '88 ST165 does.
doobs
Regular

September 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 11 September 2004 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a fuel light in mine, its an 87.

Also fellas i need to get hold of the plasic cover that goes over the gauges, mine is stuffed, i will buy the whole gaugepanel if need be.

thanx
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 11 September 2004 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
doobs wiso has told you like twice that he has them!
doobs
Regular

September 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 11 September 2004 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobST162 wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 17:17

doobs wiso has told you like twice that he has them!

Damn, i should read things better, i dident realise he said he had both of em Embarassed
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 11 September 2004 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
with the fuel light it all depends on the sensor in the tank. they all have the low fuel light in the dash, they all have the wiring there for it, but the intank level sensor is the bit thats different, I believe there are 2 different level sensors, one that is compatible for guage and another for guage and light, it just depends which one your car has.

Doobs No No No if you still really badly want that skirt even in the condition it is you can have it for like $20, sent you a reply about the guage cover.
dar_sbb
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 12 September 2004 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does ne one know, in psi, how much compression they have? i just wanna compare.

and i have a 87 (late 86) and i have a fuel light... aussie del

thanks
SCO-77K
Regular

January 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 13 September 2004 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys, i have a low fuel light in mine to! Very Happy
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 13 September 2004 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ditto, although it comes on when i get down to about 20 litres left Rolling Eyes not the best of devices hehe
Jt_162
Occasional Poster

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 13 September 2004 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i thought about the the fuel light thing for ages, and after bouncing the needle off empty multiple times, its never come on. So i did the sensible thing and checked for blown globes. Nothing was blown so then i took the whole assembly appart, enough to change the odometer (!). There was no fuel light what so ever, no spot for one behind the picture on the gauge. i drive a series 1 (1986) so im guessing thats why.

The stragest thing is i have no oil light! There is no spot for one behind the picture on the gauge and no spot for one in the two strips where the other warning lights are. What is going on! do i have some sort of shitty super early model dash or something? Should i rely on the stock pressure gauge? (acually i can answer my own question and say no, dirt + 6000 RPM + handbrake = spun bearing Sad )
doobs
Regular

September 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 13 September 2004 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what exactly does it mean when the pressure gaudge is high or low? Like what are the possible causes?

Cheers
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 13 September 2004 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oil pressure guage is suppose to gives you an indication of how much oil is running thru your engine. if the pressure get down to lower than a quarter then you are more than likely about to blow your engine.

the main possible causes are.

* you have no oil in your engine
* the oil pump isnt functioning properly
Farmsci ST162
Regular

August 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 13 September 2004 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah if you notice oil pressure dropping get it chacked out. i know im not the only st162 owner on these forums that has experienced the blown oil pump! the results are not nice.

although does seem to pave the way for cool engine upgrades!
Captain_Jonno
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 13 September 2004 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
doesnt it go up and down depending on ur acceleration?
doobs
Regular

September 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 13 September 2004 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yer mine does
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 13 September 2004 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
yea it does go up and down during acceleration. however if you notice it is lower than normal during idle . that is the time to get it checked out.

[Updated on: Mon, 13 September 2004 11:43]

Pages (63): [ «  <  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: '76 Corona MKII
Next Topic:Old photos
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 22:11:15 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.021464109420776 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.