Toymods » General Car Talk » ST162 dedicated thread

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 09 October 2005 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sellin off my std shit i dont need, ct26 turbo, catch is the bearings are a bit worn out still works fine but there a bit stiff the seals are fine the engine and turbo hasnt droped one drop of oil since ive owned it , so it wo0uld be good for a rebuild but it works fine and has been for the last 6 months , the std manifold , and maybe a custom double dump 3inch. i may use the base of this so not sure if its up for grabs but let me know if anyones interestd wont be much as the turbo isnt in great cond but as i said its been working fine on my car
  Send a private message to this user    
piggy
Regular

March 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 09 October 2005 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
havabeer there are 3 brackets on it the top 1 goes into the plastic the other two down the bottom go in to the metal i think i cant remember Rolling Eyes been there for a while now
but the bottom go under the plactic and comes and the the block of wood to the brackets the wood has holes drilled out where the fans are on the bottom so it stays cool the second photo is a little shitty but you can see the brackets on the bottom

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/4672/img01293uz.th.jpg

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/8143/img01288uc.th.jpg

dingaling the amp sound pretty good its loud inside which is good but you cant hear it very well when everything is shut so i like it Very Happy im only running the sub off it and then ill run a set of six in off it as well once ive finsihed all the important things Very Happy

edit dingaling do you have an msn address?

[Updated on: Sun, 09 October 2005 09:10]

berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 09 October 2005 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a m8 had one of those amps , didnt like to power a jL 15inch sub and blew up so watch it dont drive it to hard hit u a cutting edge amp 2 of them u can run one amp as positive and the other as ground its fucking nuts they crank
piggy
Regular

March 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 09 October 2005 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fair enough i don't have it real lound anyway so it does its job for the time being
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 09 October 2005 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thnx for the info piggy..nother quick question on car audio....i've got my setup in my daily driver for now (and 86 excell) and i've actually got the engine reving coming through the speakers.

what cause's this and how do i fix it?
doobs
Regular

September 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 09 October 2005 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The problem is that the engine is producing an alternating current, which is being picked up somewhere, feed into the input of your amplifiers, and coming out your speakers.

It could be alot of things, but the first thing I would do is try a filter on the head units power wire... Any ripple on the power supply for your head unit could possibly cause this. The filter should block any interferance.

Also are you using the the stock speaker wiring? it could be that the stock speaker wire also uses the car body as ground...

Try the filter and see if it solves the problem

Cheers

[Updated on: Sun, 09 October 2005 14:10]

berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 10 October 2005 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/beradg/piston1.jpg

berad 1 3sgte 0 haha

looks to be in decent condition no pits or anything just a little detonation if it is even that looks more like carbon build up from my hella rich a/f's
verbatim210
Regular

April 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 10 October 2005 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats the best intake mod for a 162,
pod or aftermarket panel filter?

and which ones do you recommend?
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 10 October 2005 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if ur not gunna move the pod down to cold air or make something get a panel filter, if anything panel filters are probly beter
verbatim210
Regular

April 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 10 October 2005 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cursing if you drive over a puddle
and the splash of water if not the
whole puddle gets sucked up into the pod?
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 10 October 2005 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pod Filter by a gazilian mile.
I have had both K&N panel and K&N pod..and can say the pod was much better. having said.....when the Pod was installed.....the AFM was removed at the same time.....so.....i duno.....I still say pod
piggy
Regular

March 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 10 October 2005 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well im going pannel and putting a cai on it
verbatim210
Regular

April 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 10 October 2005 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
we now officially have two
opposing point of views. hopefully
at the end of the day, or week can
determine which option is best for my car.
so i can go out and buy one.

*oppotunity for constructive debating?
piggy
Regular

March 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 10 October 2005 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the reson that i go for pannel is because of where the pod would sit it sits close to the engine so really it'd be hot air in use
kenevill
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 10 October 2005 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey peoples... i havent really posted on here before so i thought i may as well start now because i do read this thread from time to time.

anyhoo.. mainly to buck naked... the coilovers are awesome man, thanks a lot. had a minor glitch trying to put them in, the holes where you put the bolts into the hub were about 2mm too small, and i couldnt find a big enough drill bit to widen it haha. ah well, it was fixed up the next day and they are quite simply awesome handling wise. even when running stocko 14" rims with second hand tyres.

Anyhoo for those of your who are still reading my name is Dave Smile
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 10 October 2005 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kenevil, i take it it was the rears that you were having trouble with?Thats because the series1 has 13mm holes and the series 2 has 15mm holes on the rear hubs.i had the same problem when i transferred my setup from my old car to the new one

Catcha guys
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 10 October 2005 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a few question regarding standard springs and super lows.

First of all does anyone have the standard springs sitting around? As I'm interested in knowing the unloaded extension of the spring (total length), and also the inner diameter. I would also like to know roughly what the standard rate is for them.

The question regarding the super lows. Are these linear springs or are they like the low's (progressive)?

As far as panel or pod, I would suggest panel. Reasons; It's already there, If you get some better ducting to it it will more likely perform better as it's sealed from the engine bay, oh and you don't have to get that stupid adapter plate.
kenevill
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 10 October 2005 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
StuC wrote on Mon, 10 October 2005 22:12

kenevil, i take it it was the rears that you were having trouble with?Thats because the series1 has 13mm holes and the series 2 has 15mm holes on the rear hubs.i had the same problem when i transferred my setup from my old car to the new one

yeah it was, the fronts bolted in fine tho... stupid toyota Mad
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 10 October 2005 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If i had the option I'd try panel filter again, but I cant - no way will the gen 1 airbox flow enough air without major surgery. Sad

Pod filters can be just as effective if you shroud them properly and get a good flow of cool air to them. Plus they sound shitloads better than an airbox.
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 10 October 2005 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charlie - I think i saw you at uni a few weeks ago. Do you have a dark tint on your windows and white / blue headlights? Smile
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 10 October 2005 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
verbatim210 wrote on Mon, 10 October 2005 21:36

we now officially have two
opposing point of views. hopefully
at the end of the day, or week can
determine which option is best for my car.
so i can go out and buy one.

*oppotunity for constructive debating?

Well, as some already know...i run a Microtech...which does not require the AFM. the tuner gave me the option of keeping the std airbox (which already had ducted cold air) or use the same duct but remove the AFM and fit a pod. the dyno showed a full 4fwkw gain with the pod + a wizzing noise under the bonnet. so i decided to pay the extra and use the pod....
speaking of which....i have a K&N panel here if anyone wants it!!! Done well under 10,000km's. Unfortunately...i recently threw away the box....but open to offers! i bought $120 new.
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 11 October 2005 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nar, mines just red with bad paint Smile. No fancy xenons for me. So I take it that no one has any original springs sitting around? Guess I'll just do some ring arounds then.
piggy
Regular

March 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 11 October 2005 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well Sad Crying or Very Sad some real bad news its over my celica died today Crying or Very Sad so am no with out a car untill i finish the engine
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 11 October 2005 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
died? didn't know machines could do that Razz

What did you do to it?
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 11 October 2005 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just put down a deposit on a gen 2 3SGE (121kw from an SW20 MR2) as a replacement for my blown gen 1.

It comes complete with loom, ecu, distributor and a few other bits and peices including a new TRD clutch. The whole lot was $1150 shipped from QLD to WA. I'm going to fix up my steering rack, as well as any other issues that crop up while the engine is out. Concidering fitting some extractors still too.

I cleared out the garage to make space for the engine and hopefully I can have it back on the road by December Smiley =
verbatim210
Regular

April 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 11 October 2005 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[/quote]

i have a K&N panel here if anyone wants it!!! Done well under 10,000km's. Unfortunately...i recently threw away the box....but open to offers! i bought $120 new.[/quote]

i want it! atleast i think i want it, still deciding what it will be pod or panel. at the moment im leaning towards panel due to convenience but its also tempting to tread into pod territory as it seems to be a tad bit more effective, with attention to the way air is vented into the pod with out the box.

newayz, how much u want for it?
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 11 October 2005 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
charliechalk wrote on Tue, 11 October 2005 12:29

Nar, mines just red with bad paint Smile. No fancy xenons for me. So I take it that no one has any original springs sitting around? Guess I'll just do some ring arounds then.

I have an old set of springs mate, i measured the and they are 285mm long X 150mm wide

hope that helps.

what happened to it piggy?

Buck_Naked. good on ya mate. Very Happy (join the club)

Karl
piggy
Regular

March 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 11 October 2005 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no we all knew that it blew a little smoke here and there (mostly when i started it up) well today i went to the R.A.A.F base to go to the bank and she started blowing heaps and heaps of smoke at you could hear the engine rattling really bad (a bearing no doubt) and a nice cloud of blue/ black smoke comming out when i got to the base i pulled over and it was idleing at 500rpm! and then she just died Crying or Very Sad called the old boy (who works on the base) came and had a quick look he decided he better drive it home cause it was pretty bad so i followed him home in the van got it home doing about 60-80 the whole way blowing so much smoke so thats my sad and depressing story Crying or Very Sad so now i have to hurry up with the rebuild

Wink
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 11 October 2005 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha time for you to get your arse into gear with the new engine
piggy
Regular

March 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 11 October 2005 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah well i was going to DRIVE the head to get machined and the other things thay have to but now ill have to drop them off on friday arvo Confused
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 11 October 2005 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bad luck there Sad but at least you have something to put in it... well kinda Smile
And thanks for those dimensions warrior, do you know if those are front or rear or are they both the same length? Smile
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 11 October 2005 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
everyone move over to www.toymods.net start to make the move Razz
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 11 October 2005 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just signed up then. Why is the site changing?are they shutting it down?
GBC_069
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 11 October 2005 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
man i dont like the new system !!!!

did you guys fill out all that address bullshit and that !!!
wtf ?
plus its different !!!! (noooooo..... not change)
nick.
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 11 October 2005 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
charliechalk wrote on Tue, 11 October 2005 16:41

And thanks for those dimensions warrior, do you know if those are front or rear or are they both the same length? Smile

those were the fronts i measured, i dont have rear springs dismantled mate, sorry.

I like the new forums, they are trying to phase out all the BS sales that happen on this forum, and all the schoolies asking for sprinters Razz Mad

Karl
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 11 October 2005 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how are they gunna phase out skool kids but
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 11 October 2005 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
berad wrote on Tue, 11 October 2005 20:28

how are they gunna phase out skool kids but

well firstly, it takes a lot longer to register, and you cant post in the classifieds until you have a decent post count in the techs and general car talk section. basically u need to develop a reputation.

read the FAQ's (i know no-one does, but thats what i was told to do Embarassed )

Karl
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 11 October 2005 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey buck naked, what mob did you get the gen2 from? that's a good deal.

Warrior, i'll put that money in tommorow, so flat out today, i have had a prick of a thing happen, i ordered a supra halfcut 5 months ago, and it arrived today but turned out to be a soarer half cut which is pretty much useless for my conversion. Mad
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 11 October 2005 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dingaling wrote on Tue, 11 October 2005 20:46

Warrior, i'll put that money in tommorow, so flat out today, i have had a prick of a thing happen, i ordered a supra halfcut 5 months ago, and it arrived today but turned out to be a soarer half cut which is pretty much useless for my conversion. Mad

no probs mate, let me know an ill get them out to you.

how the hell do they mix up a soarer with a supra front cut, what idiots, what are they gonna do?
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 11 October 2005 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yer it pisses me off how am i spost to get 40 ppl to vote for me shit lol...
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 11 October 2005 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
charlie - I've got some standard rear springs under the house, i'll drag em out an measure them if you want.
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 11 October 2005 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ditto on the rears, but they have sagged a bit - i imagine that is going to be the case for most of tghe stockies as they probably are the originals as well - im pretty sure mine were
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 12 October 2005 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dingaling wrote on Tue, 11 October 2005 18:46

Hey Ding,

It's from a private seller, from this thread: http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=80166

Bad news about the Soarer cut, do you have any recourse with the people you bought it from?
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 12 October 2005 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
warrior will pm u the netbank reciept shortly.

yeah its a total piss of to say the least about getting a halfcut i can't use. gonna take it to the ACCC if they don't give my money back. I ordered a supra cut, they said it was a supra cut, and they give me a soarer cut after 5 bloody months off waiting, and calling them everyday. Mad

but yeah on a lighter note that gen2 looks in awesome nick! u did well.
trd3sg
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 12 October 2005 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
doobs wrote on Mon, 10 October 2005 00:04

The problem is that the engine is producing an alternating current, which is being picked up somewhere, feed into the input of your amplifiers, and coming out your speakers.

It could be alot of things, but the first thing I would do is try a filter on the head units power wire... Any ripple on the power supply for your head unit could possibly cause this. The filter should block any interferance.

Also are you using the the stock speaker wiring? it could be that the stock speaker wire also uses the car body as ground...

Try the filter and see if it solves the problem

Cheers

good idea but also try running ur input signal cables (rca's) on opposite side to your power cable from battery. Also make sure ur amp is earthed properly, make sure the connection is free from corrosion etc

ive got 3 amps running in mine with no filter - AND running power and rca's alongside each other through centre console and do not get any interference - use proper shielded rca's as well
jhalmers
Regular

July 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 12 October 2005 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey i am having trouble finding my chasis code for this new toymods site. can anyone help is it a c3 or a st162 no. Rolling Eyes
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 12 October 2005 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just put in ST162, I dont think they're after your actual chassis / VIN number... I think they're just trying to get an idea of how many / what kinds of cars people own, eg. MA70, SV21, TA22 etc.
matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 13 October 2005 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys,

Finally have a few pics of my swap progress so far, I've started a thread over in the Member's Rides section so feel free to check it out!

Hey Andy a couple of questions for ya:

Do the ST162 radiator hoses mate up to this engine OK? I'm certain the top one will (the housing is just the same) but what about the lower one?

When you grafted the thermofan switch to your thermostat housing, did you just use the switch from the 162? I have a spare housing with switch from a 162 ST (3SFE) which should be the same so I don't have to go cutting mine up.

Laters,
Matt
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 13 October 2005 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im in need of a 162 passenger side hub anyone got one in good nick ? mines fuckin ratshit all eaten out...
piggy
Regular

March 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 13 October 2005 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well the motor is comming out tommorow yay!! ill find out whats wrong with it Very Happy many pic to come.

well off to work ill talk later
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 14 October 2005 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys,

just got back to Pedders from having a 28 Point Check to find a list of things amounting to $2700 in freaking PARTS that they wanted to fix.

The long and short of what I want to do is this:

new springs (maybe)
new shocks
new bushes for rear sway bar and control arms
new rear sway bar (maybe)

What do you all recommend. I have heard good stuff about KYBs, but I have Koni Yellow shocks in there now which I am happy to rebuild if it's affordable.

LOVE any advice you have Smile
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 14 October 2005 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
id tell them to blow it out there arse lol, get whiteline sway bars and a neultothene or watever bush kit, and some good strut inserts
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 14 October 2005 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get kybs all rounds, get some kingys all round, rear whiteline sway bar, and some new bushes on control arms, thats wat i did and car handles like a dream and only cost me bout 800 bucks, though that is on staff discount price, but yeh thats the way id be goin if i was u, and fit it all yourself to save labour, tell pedders they can go and get F$#@ed
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 14 October 2005 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you could get "the works package" from whiteline for about 2300 if you were to do the work yourself, but that package is for the st165, not sure if they will fit in ours as well?? i'm sure it wouldn't be that much different.
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 14 October 2005 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that pedders assesment isn't worth the paper its written on. They just brush over the whole car in 2 minutes (its only worth like $5 to them in the end). They quoted me something silly like $2500 to fix everthing, also said that my shocks were ok. Upon removing them we discovered that the front ones had both leaked out all their fluid and the rear ones had no re-bound in them at all. Ended up lowering the car and getting KYB's for less than half of what pedders originally quoted for the same job.

[/rant]
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 14 October 2005 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pedders = crap

rebuild the konis (they're not the adjustables are they rob?)
get some king lows if your springs are stuffed too. Whiteline sway bar and of course as many eurethane bushes as you can get your hands on.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 14 October 2005 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
StuC wrote on Fri, 14 October 2005 17:44

pedders = crap

rebuild the konis (they're not the adjustables are they rob?)
get some king lows if your springs are stuffed too. Whiteline sway bar and of course as many eurethane bushes as you can get your hands on.

cool, who rebuilds konis these days? any ideas?
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 14 October 2005 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pedders might?!!! hahahah.....
try a whiteline dealer - as they deal with konis or maybe just a random suspension place or one of our sponsors
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 14 October 2005 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get some g4 racing springs from whiteline Smile only 109$ each... hehe

I think i'll be getting some as soon as exams finish.. but we'll see I feel the front king low's are too soft Confused
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 15 October 2005 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
get superlows see how soft they are haha i swear my chasis has crackd from the stiffness haha
Pages (63): [ «  <  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  59  60  61  62  63  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: '76 Corona MKII
Next Topic:Old photos
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 09:12:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.020581007003784 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.