Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SecaSX
Regular

April 2003
20v NA Mods Mon, 08 March 2004 12:47 Go to next message
Hi Everyone

Well I am in the process of doing a 20v conversion into my 91 Seca SX. Leaving the engine NA what is there to do to the 20v to get more power out of it. I am thinking an aftermarket computer to get a few more Kw but besides that is there much out there for the 20v. No I don't want to turbo it. I just want to leave it NA.

Also I know that as you go for bigger cams the VVT has to be disabled. Is there a down side to doing this?

Already have a K&N Filter and 2.25inch exhaust for it.

Your advice and ideas would be appreciated.

Send a private message to this user    
HYP04A
Occasional Poster

March 2004
Re: 20v NA Mods Mon, 08 March 2004 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there are mods for it, i think toda has got forget pistons that raises the compresion, there are cams but vvti has to be unplugged, but dont think these mods will get your car going faster than a supra. the more NA horsepower you get the more undrivable the care is going to be on the street, on the track is a diferent story. If you want it for the track there are billet and forget components at http://www.trdparts.jp/. For the street my recommentdation would be 260-280 degrees camshafts on both the inlet and exhaut,my cousin has got this setup on his corola, dont forget about the ecu and the fuel pump
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 20v NA Mods Tue, 09 March 2004 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

there are cams but vvti has to be unplugged

Why?Why? Why? You don't have to do this, but for some reason every thinks they have to and they lose power! I haven't and either has a lot of other racers, and we run some bloody big cams.
A ported head, aftermarket ECU (Stinger or LTX8)will give you good results for a streeter... Redline Motorsports can supply any of the Toda gear, or just about anything for a 20V. Just depends on how much you wanna spend.
SecaSX
Regular

April 2003
Re: 20v NA Mods Tue, 09 March 2004 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well my plan for the next stage of mods is an aftermarket ECU (EMS Stinger), Toda 304 degree cams and cam gears. Don't really want to touch the bottom end at the moment.

Will there be a significant gain in performance from the above mods?

Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 20v NA Mods Tue, 09 March 2004 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All the previous engines we have run are a standard bottom end. The lastest (mine) is the first to run a complete forged setup. We have made up to 130Hp at the wheels, just by head work and aftermarket bolt on's (ie cams, good custom exhuast,ECU) all with VVTi connected.
SecaSX
Regular

April 2003
Re: 20v NA Mods Tue, 09 March 2004 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johnny

What sort of cams were you running in that particular engine? It would be nice to have that sort of power at the wheels.

Is 304 degree cams too big to use on the street? I looked up the cams on the Toda website and the largest cam they have available for the 20v is 304 degree.

Cheers

Flogbag
Regular

December 2003
Re: 20v NA Mods Tue, 09 March 2004 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toda stuff is expensive is there any other suppliers...?

i know crow cams make cams for the 16v and they probably wouldnt be half the price of toda stuff...

if u read phill bradshaws page about 4age mods he goes into heaps of detail about wat u get out of cams n work done to get them to efectively work

i wanna get toda 288 cams with 9mm lift they recon u need to buy the 20v valve spring set when running the 9mm lift cams...

but looking on some pages there like $1000 each when purchased in australia and then theres the springs and adjustable cam gears to fine tune them it be cheaper and ud get more power wacking on a turbo setup
onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: 20v NA Mods Tue, 09 March 2004 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the bottom line is, the 20V is such a highly tuned engine from the factory that getting extra power out of it is gonna be pretty expensive in $$$ per HP gain.
honestly, i would say use a low boost turbo application - like 4psi or something - to aid in complete swirl and combustion.
a lot of people have had good power gains (like 80%) with a low boost 300hp turbo, custom manifold, water-air intercooler and a full exhaust. look at the honda VTEC civic turbo kits for example...and they're almost 11:1 CR and running 6psi with no probs at all.
HYP04A
Occasional Poster

March 2004
Re: 20v NA Mods Tue, 09 March 2004 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NA is always more expensive, but you got love that sound. with the money you are going to spend, why dont get a 4agze bottom 20v top with a hks gtsr turbo.
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 20v NA Mods Thu, 11 March 2004 04:26 Go to previous message
Quote:

What sort of cams were you running in that particular engine? It would be nice to have that sort of power at the wheels.

IN. 302 EX. 312 these were Yager camshafts and cost about $900-1000 for both... But these make the engine a pig to drive. I Asked around (My builder and tuner), well 264-288 would be your best for street, up the comp and port the head... The head is the most expensive part, it cost around $1100 to service, cc and do a good port job.
Quote:

the bottom line is, the 20V is such a highly tuned engine from the factory that getting extra power out of it is gonna be pretty expensive in $$$ per HP gain.

True, like you and Hyp said, strap a snail to the side and instant HP!!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:2JZ-GTE Conversion
Next Topic:BEAMS 3S-GE
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Oct 24 23:29:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059709548950195 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.