Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » How does a 4AG dizzy pick up crank angle?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TA22 GT
Regular

November 2002
How does a 4AG dizzy pick up crank angle? Mon, 08 March 2004 14:06 Go to next message
Hi,
Can someone explain how a 4AG internal CAS works? How does in know when #1 is @ TDC?
I think its a 24 tooth pick up gear?
A pic of it would be good too?
I've seen 2 type of dizzy on the 4AG, one that doesn't have leads and seems to be just a CAS and the other with leads. Does the one with leads also have the same CAS setup inside?

Thanks,
Simon
  Send a private message to this user    
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How does a 4AG dizzy pick up crank angle? Mon, 08 March 2004 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The distributor has 2 teethed wheels, one 4 tooth & the other with quite a few teeth (I thought it was 36, but maybe it's 24, unfortunately I don't have one sitting next to me atm, it's all the way downstairs), and a sensor for each wheel.
The cam angle sensor that comes on the GZEs with twin coils has 2 wheels, the lower one with multi teeth & one sensor, same as the dizzy, but the 2nd wheel has one tooth & 2 sensors mounted opposite each other.

I'm not in the best frame of mind to be working out how they pick no.1 TDC, maybe in the morning. Smile
I wonder how many times bigger the drive cog on the exhaust cam is than the driven dizzy/CAS cog..... it's at least twice the size.
TA22 GT
Regular

November 2002
Re: How does a 4AG dizzy pick up crank angle? Wed, 10 March 2004 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The reason I ask is thayt I have a Microtech runnign my engine and want to know if just the multi toothed gear is all I need to get rid of the dizzy or do I need the other pick up wheel as well?

Simon
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: How does a 4AG dizzy pick up crank angle? Wed, 10 March 2004 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, in order to get rid of the dizzy and use coils, you'll need to have a 'home' signal so that the ECU can tell whereabouts the engine actually is. For this, you can likely either use the original home (1 tooth) magnetic pickup (preferable!) or possibly create one by filing one of the 24 teeth off. Read the microtech manual and see! (I'm not overly familiar with the specific setup of mictotech, I've only ever played with other brands)
TA22 GT
Regular

November 2002
Re: How does a 4AG dizzy pick up crank angle? Wed, 10 March 2004 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did call Microtech and they said I need to use a 24 tooth wheel. What I'm not sure about is if the Toyota 24 tooth gears have a home position standard or if this is done with a separate sensor on the standard Toyota setup.

Simon
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How does a 4AG dizzy pick up crank angle? Wed, 10 March 2004 14:59 Go to previous message
The standard dizzy has 2 wheels & sensors, and the microtech uses 2, so you need to hook both up & chop 3 of the teeth off the 4 tooth wheel.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:my car wouldn't start :(
Next Topic:4age alternator?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Oct 25 23:24:56 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0077829360961914 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.